Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Bitter melon

I know Nick has mentioned this before. I probably only half read his posts.

This was given as an ingredient on "Chopped" the other day. In a round in
which they had only 20 minutes to prepare the dish. Somehow in the back of
my mind, this didn't seem right. They also commented that only one person
prepared it correctly. He removed the seeds from the middle and they said
that the seeds were the bitter part.

So I looked up some recipes on how to make it. All said to scoop the seeds
from the middle and most said to soak it in salt water anywhere from a half
an hour to overnight or more.

So how could they expect these poor chefs to prepare it in a palatable way
in only 20 minutes? I felt the same way when they gave them raw black eyed
peas and then complained that they were cooked through. Gah!