Old 02-09-2004, 10:36 PM
ggg

Default Raw Bitter Melon

Since I don't forsee travel to Thailand any time soon, I've been
consoling myself by reading about Thai culture. When I read that Thais
drink raw bitter melon juice, I decided to find out what de heww the
Thais were doing to themselves. I was surprised to find that raw bitter
melon isn't raw at all. I've been eating one a day for the last few
days and feel great. The first two days, I felt tingly in a slightly
scary way for the first half of the cuke though.

I've never liked bitter melon cooked though I know it is popular in
China and South East Asia and Okinawa.

Old 08-09-2004, 04:52 PM
ggg

Jeff Russell wrote:

How do you prepare it? How does it taste?

standard stir fry prep: clean exterior, halve lengthwise, scoop out pith
and seeds,
slice into half moons.

I only meant to take a bite expecting it to be very bitter but I think
these would make good crudites (unless I'm the only one who isn't
tasting bitterness. I tried to share them with someone and they
wouldn't eat more than a bite.)

I don't know if this is actually wise to eat raw.

Old 11-09-2004, 04:28 AM
werewolf

Bitter melon as medicine:

http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/herb...tter_Melon.htm
Old 11-09-2004, 04:28 AM
werewolf

Old 26-09-2004, 11:06 AM

(werewolf) wrote:
Bitter melon as medicine:

http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/herb...tter_Melon.htm

Didn't check tbe web site, but during my 2-1/2 months in Thailand, I drank
a tea, made from sun-dried bitter melon, every morning, for my diabetes.
That, plus fatalajon,, seemed to keep my blood glucose under control.

--
Intuitive insights from Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley

http://alexslemonade.com/

Old 28-09-2004, 09:49 PM
[email protected]

excuse me...what is fatalajon?

Andrographis paniculata:

Traditional Use Table

Medical Disciplines Native Names Traditional Uses

Traditional Chinese Medicine Chuanxinlian Fever
Chunlianqialio Laryngitis
Yiqianxi Pharyngitis
Ganhelian Pneumonia
Kudanchao Respiratory infections
Zhanshejian Tonsillitis

Traditional Indian Medicine Kalmegh(Bengali)Diabetes mellitus
Kiryat (Hindi) Dysentery
Enteritis
Helminth infection
Herpes
Peptic Ulcer
Skin infections
Snakebites

Traditional Thai Medicine Fah Tolai Pyelitis
(Thalaai) Tuberculosis

I take it for Type II diabetes, to control blood glucose.

Old 26-11-2004, 09:32 PM
Versy Tyle

For diabetes, you might also be interested in this:

http://www.nexusmagazine.com/article...Deception.html

Bitter melon Julie Bove Diabetic 2 20-06-2010 09:36 AM
Bitter Melon how to? Steve Pope General Cooking 12 24-04-2009 05:46 AM
Bitter melon Nick Cramer Diabetic 0 17-02-2009 07:13 AM
bitter melon Blanche Nonken Preserving 8 08-02-2004 05:44 AM
Use for bitter melon Franfogel Asian Cooking 13 23-01-2004 03:49 AM