Old 22-09-2004, 09:49 AM
Mackę«

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:46:59 GMT, "Bob-in-Abq"
wrote:

Thank you for your time and comments.
I've copied and saved them.

Now I'll go check out the two newsgroups I've seen mentioned throughout the
posts.

One thing I'd like to address which you did not mention but I've seen in
some posts he
Why the 'ragging' on WebTV people?
I have a pc, but many can't adapt to one.

Some came here looking for advice and were told to go buy a computer!

misunderstood attempt at humor. always remember that the tone of a
post is most often brought by the reader not the poster. of course if
we use explicit insults then you can guess the intended tone quite
easily.

that being said..... webTV? {{{{{shudder}}}}

;} ----Note: that is a winking emoticon.

Mckę«
Type 1 since 1975
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org
http://www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org

In tribute to the United States of America and the State
of Israel, two bastions of strength in a world filled with strife and
terrorism.

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."

....Theodore Roosevelt

Have you heard of the NO-CARB Diet for 2004?

NO C-heney
NO A-shcroft
NO R-umsfeld
NO B-ush
And Absolutely NO Rice!

Once you buy a pc, you'll be ragged on if you have a Mac, or use Windows.

Just found it irritating that some were disrespected 'cause they use WebTV.
"Jennifer" wrote in message
Hi Bob...

This group is primarily for recipes and it gets only random traffic.

A great place for support is alt.support.diabetes.

But to get you started, here's the advice I give all newbies... and just
to get you thinking, it's not the mayo in the sandwich that will raise
your blood glucose levels... it's the bread.

More than most anything, what you eat will affect your diabetes and
your blood glucose numbers.

And more than anything you eat, carbs will affect your diabetes and
your blood glucose numbers.

So, the most important information you can begin to compile about
yourself, is how your body handles carbs.

This sounds like you would need a low carb food plan right?

You don't... what you need to uncover is YOUR Personalized Carb Number.

Which actually works better for most everyone. Because low to one
person is wildly high to another, but waaaaay too low for someone
else.

Is low carb less than 30g a day? Is it anything less than the
Pyramid reccomendations?

Finding your Personalized Carb Number is easy.

Here's how you can figure out your own Personalized Carb Number.

The single biggest question a diabetic has to answer is:

What do I eat?

Unfortunately, the answer is pretty confusing.

What confounds us all is the fact that different diabetics can get great
results on wildly different food plans. Some of us here achieve
great blood glucose control eating a high complex carbohydrate diet.
Others find that anything over 75 - 100g of carbs a day is too
much. Still others are somewhere in between.

At the beginning all of us felt fr ustrated.Wewantedtobehanded
THE way to eat, to ensure our continued health. But we all
learned that there is no one way. Each of us had to find our own path,
using the experience of those that went before, but still having
to discover for ourselves how OUR bodies and this disease were coexisting.

Ask questions, but remember each of us discovered on our own what works

best
for us. You can use our experiences as jumping off points, but eventually
you'll work up a successful plan that is yours alone.

What you are looking to discover is how different foods affect you. As

I'm
sure you've read, carbohydrates (sugars, wheat, rice... the things our
Grandmas called "starches") raise blood sugars the most rapidly. Protein
and fat do raise them, but not as high and much more slowly... so if

you're
a T2, generally the insulin your body still makes may take care of the

rise.

You might want to try some experiments.

First: Eat whatever you've been
currently eating... but write it all down.
Test yourself at the following times:

Upon waking (fasting)
1 hour after each meal
2 hours after each meal
At bedtime

That means 8 x each day. What you will discover by this is how long
after a meal your highest reading comes... and how fast you return to
"normal". Also, you may see that a meal that included bread, fruit or
other carbs gives you a higher reading.

Then for the next few days, try to curb your carbs. Eliminate breads,
cereals, rices, beans, any wheat products, potato, corn, fruit... get all
your carbs from veggies. Test at the same schedule above.

If you try this for a few days, you may find some pretty damn good
readings. It's worth a few days to discover.

Eventually you can slowly add back carbs until you see them affecting your
meter.

The thing about this disease... though we share much in common and we
need to
follow certain guidelines... in the end, each of our bodies dictate our
treatment and our success.

The closer we get to non-diabetic numbers, the greater chance we have of
avoiding horrible complications. The key here is AIM... I know that
everyone is at a different point in their disease... and it is

progressive.
But, if we aim for the best numbers and do our best, we give ourselves the
best shot at heath we've got.
That's all we can do.

Here's my opinion on what numbers to aim for, they are non-diabetic

numbers.

FBG under 100
One hour after meals under 140
Two hours after meals under 120

or for those in the mmol parts of the world:

Fasting Under 6
One hour after meals Under 8
Two hours after meals Under 6.5

Recent studies have indicated that the most important numbers are your
"after meal" numbers. They may be the most indicative of future
complications, especially heart problems.

Listen to your doctor, but you are the leader of your diabetic
care team. While his /her advice is learned, it is not absolute. You
will end up knowing much more about your body and how it's handling
diabetes than your doctor will. Your meter is your best weapon.

Just remember, we're not in a race or a competition with anyone but
ourselves... Play around with your food plan... TEST TEST TEST. Learn

what
foods cause spikes, what foods cause cravings... Use your body as a

science
experiment.

You'll read about a lot of different ways people use to control their
diabetes... Many are diametrically opposed. After awhile you'll learn that
there is no one size fits all around here. Take some time to experiment
and you'll soon discover the plan that works for you.

Best of luck!

Jennifer

Bob-in-Abq wrote:

Hi ~
I just found this group. I see a doctor this coming Friday for testing,

but
from the symptoms I have I expect to test positive for diabetes.

I took the ADA's test on their website and scored a 15.
Anything over 10 is supposed to be bad. ;-(

Anyway, I'm just surfing, looking for a good, friendly, supportive

group.

The word 'food' in your title interested me as I just came home from
shopping and was surprised at how few foods seem sugar free or light.

I was hoping to find an acceptable mayonnaise so I could make myself a
tomato sandwich. LOL

So.........I'll be drifting in and out.

Bob in Albuquerque

Old 28-09-2004, 10:50 PM
THEOLDONE

http://home.comcast.net/~omnis1/diabet.htm

Has lots of info

HTH
"
snip

newbie craftydragon1951 General Cooking 22 04-04-2006 07:00 AM
Newbie Q's Bulletsnbrains Winemaking 6 13-03-2006 12:28 AM
A NEWBIE HERE!!!.... arem_29 Recipes 1 30-09-2005 03:54 PM
newbie following newbie pu er threads Lara Burton Tea 12 29-08-2005 05:26 PM