Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default figuring carbs

as i said in the turkey soup thread, i haven't a clue about htis. it would
help me if i did, especailly because my brother shoots to his carbs, and if
i could give my mom a recipe with carbs already figured it would make family
gatherings go easier... less of a big deal for my brother and mom anyway...

like i said i tried to do some reading but either i was too tired, or what i
was reading was to complex for my brain so:
-is this on the label of packaged goods?
-if it isn't what information do i need to figure it?

-i do ww points and know the formula for that so if any of you are familar
with that and can put it into that kind of context i might get it,

lee

--
Have a wonderful day

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Stormmee" > wrote:

> as i said in the turkey soup thread, i haven't a clue about htis. it would
> help me if i did, especailly because my brother shoots to his carbs, and if
> i could give my mom a recipe with carbs already figured it would make family
> gatherings go easier... less of a big deal for my brother and mom anyway...
>
> like i said i tried to do some reading but either i was too tired, or what i
> was reading was to complex for my brain so:
> -is this on the label of packaged goods?
> -if it isn't what information do i need to figure it?
>
> -i do ww points and know the formula for that so if any of you are familar
> with that and can put it into that kind of context i might get it,

Every processed food product in the US has a nutrition label. Here's an
explanation of how to interpret it:
<http://www.fda.gov/Food/LabelingNutr...tion/ucm078889.
htm>. You want to pay attention to the Carbohydrate line, as the
indented lines below it list sub-types of the total.

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> as i said in the turkey soup thread, i haven't a clue about htis. it
> would help me if i did, especailly because my brother shoots to his carbs,
> and if i could give my mom a recipe with carbs already figured it would
> make family gatherings go easier... less of a big deal for my brother and
> mom anyway...
>
> like i said i tried to do some reading but either i was too tired, or what
> i was reading was to complex for my brain so:
> -is this on the label of packaged goods?
> -if it isn't what information do i need to figure it?
>
> -i do ww points and know the formula for that so if any of you are familar
> with that and can put it into that kind of context i might get it,

Fitday.com is helpful. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 15:42:32 -0500, "Stormmee"
> wrote:

>as i said in the turkey soup thread, i haven't a clue about htis. it would
>help me if i did, especailly because my brother shoots to his carbs, and if
>i could give my mom a recipe with carbs already figured it would make family
>gatherings go easier... less of a big deal for my brother and mom anyway...

Are you diabetic yourself, Lee? you need to ask your Mom & brother
whether they count in exchanges or carbs per 100g before we can help
you work that out.

Most of us Type 2s on here use carb grams per 100g, and eat less than
70g carbs per day - your noodle recipe is probably that for half a
serve, so you won't get many of us trying it! People on insulin have a
little more wriggle room, because they can compensate for mistakes
with the insulin - but then too much insulin slopping around risks a
hypo, and can make you fat... Generally people of both types do better
on a lower carb diet.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks, means its like ww in that it is total fat not all the sub
catagories, i will get the DH to copy this to a file for me, again thanks,
Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>
>> as i said in the turkey soup thread, i haven't a clue about htis. it
>> would
>> help me if i did, especailly because my brother shoots to his carbs, and
>> if
>> i could give my mom a recipe with carbs already figured it would make
>> family
>> gatherings go easier... less of a big deal for my brother and mom
>> anyway...
>>
>> like i said i tried to do some reading but either i was too tired, or
>> what i
>> was reading was to complex for my brain so:
>> -is this on the label of packaged goods?
>> -if it isn't what information do i need to figure it?
>>
>> -i do ww points and know the formula for that so if any of you are
>> familar
>> with that and can put it into that kind of context i might get it,
>>

> Every processed food product in the US has a nutrition label. Here's an
> explanation of how to interpret it:
> <http://www.fda.gov/Food/LabelingNutr...tion/ucm078889.
> htm>. You want to pay attention to the Carbohydrate line, as the
> indented lines below it list sub-types of the total.
>
> --
> "[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
> This, apparently, upsets the fools."
> ---BB cuts to the pith of a flame-fest

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

well duh, not sure why i didn't think of that, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> as i said in the turkey soup thread, i haven't a clue about htis. it
>> would help me if i did, especailly because my brother shoots to his
>> carbs, and if i could give my mom a recipe with carbs already figured it
>> would make family gatherings go easier... less of a big deal for my
>> brother and mom anyway...
>>
>> like i said i tried to do some reading but either i was too tired, or
>> what i was reading was to complex for my brain so:
>> -is this on the label of packaged goods?
>> -if it isn't what information do i need to figure it?
>>
>> -i do ww points and know the formula for that so if any of you are
>> familar with that and can put it into that kind of context i might get
>> it,

> Fitday.com is helpful. :-)
>
> Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

not diabetic myself, but am scared snotless of it, brother is insulin
dependent
he is a weird case and wasn't diagnosed until adulthood, he counts like
you said, i know that much from listening to my mom, the shot he is on now
is a fast acting type where he prepares his meal, figures the carbs, shoots
the insulin then eats. it works better than anything else he has tried.

part of why i came here was to learn just these types of things, i want to
know enough that if he wants to talk i won't be asking such rudimentary
questions he doesn't want to talk. also since i am scared of the needles, i
figured if i could read enough i would get better... and the other reason as
i said was to find recipes for my mom to fix at family gatherings my brother
could eat without a big deal being made out of it... i have learned that
much of what she makes is very similar to what some have posted here, and on
one group, not sure which, the almond flour for his beloved blueberry pie is
going to be a big hit...

and lastly i struggle with weight and even though i know many of the recipes
posted here aren't low fat i figured i would get good pointers on lower
carbs without having to read low car natzi rehetoric... and i was right
about that, this group is very accepting of "what you can tolerate"

thanks for being paitent with me, this is all very new. when the DH wakes
from his nap i am going to have him read me the noodle bag to see what the
deal is.

Lee
--
Have a wonderful day

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 15:42:32 -0500, "Stormmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>as i said in the turkey soup thread, i haven't a clue about htis. it
>>would
>>help me if i did, especailly because my brother shoots to his carbs, and
>>if
>>i could give my mom a recipe with carbs already figured it would make
>>family
>>gatherings go easier... less of a big deal for my brother and mom
>>anyway...

> Are you diabetic yourself, Lee? you need to ask your Mom & brother
> whether they count in exchanges or carbs per 100g before we can help
> you work that out.
>
> Most of us Type 2s on here use carb grams per 100g, and eat less than
> 70g carbs per day - your noodle recipe is probably that for half a
> serve, so you won't get many of us trying it! People on insulin have a
> little more wriggle room, because they can compensate for mistakes
> with the insulin - but then too much insulin slopping around risks a
> hypo, and can make you fat... Generally people of both types do better
> on a lower carb diet.
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 150ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> as i said in the turkey soup thread, i haven't a clue about htis. it
> would help me if i did, especailly because my brother shoots to his carbs,
> and if i could give my mom a recipe with carbs already figured it would
> make family gatherings go easier... less of a big deal for my brother and
> mom anyway...
>
> like i said i tried to do some reading but either i was too tired, or what
> i was reading was to complex for my brain so:
> -is this on the label of packaged goods?
> -if it isn't what information do i need to figure it?
>
> -i do ww points and know the formula for that so if any of you are familar
> with that and can put it into that kind of context i might get it,
>
> lee

Counting carbs is easy. Just look on the package and see how many per
serving and how many servings you put in. Remember if you are in the U.S.
to subtract out the fiber for your final carb count. Then divide by the
number of servings.

When I make a soup, I often cook the noodles and beans separately (unless of
course it's a bean soup) so I cam measure them out and add to my bowl.

For casseroles, I cut in squares or wedges, depending on how my dish is
shaped. Easy to figure a portion that way.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

so you subtract the fiber one for one? if the serving has ten carbs and
three fibers then its seven carbs a serving? not so hard then. one of the
issues is that i don't think i ever really read labels when i could see
them, the dh reads me what i ask for but i never asked for carbs, won't be
hard to add this to the mix, as for ww i read cal. fat. fiber. so one more
is no big deal, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> as i said in the turkey soup thread, i haven't a clue about htis. it
>> would help me if i did, especailly because my brother shoots to his
>> carbs, and if i could give my mom a recipe with carbs already figured it
>> would make family gatherings go easier... less of a big deal for my
>> brother and mom anyway...
>>
>> like i said i tried to do some reading but either i was too tired, or
>> what i was reading was to complex for my brain so:
>> -is this on the label of packaged goods?
>> -if it isn't what information do i need to figure it?
>>
>> -i do ww points and know the formula for that so if any of you are
>> familar with that and can put it into that kind of context i might get
>> it,
>>
>> lee

> Counting carbs is easy. Just look on the package and see how many per
> serving and how many servings you put in. Remember if you are in the U.S.
> to subtract out the fiber for your final carb count. Then divide by the
> number of servings.
>
> When I make a soup, I often cook the noodles and beans separately (unless
> of course it's a bean soup) so I cam measure them out and add to my bowl.
>
> For casseroles, I cut in squares or wedges, depending on how my dish is
> shaped. Easy to figure a portion that way.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Stormmmee wrote:
> so you subtract the fiber one for one?

No, not if you're calculating insulin. Some fiber is digested.

Susan

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Stormmmee wrote:
> susan,
>
> i am sorry it seems you are hostile to me posting in the group and as
> one of the reasonss i choose this group was the friendly tone of it,
> perhaps I should cease posting to make you more comfortable.

Don't, she is hostile to anyone who doesn't share her views on life or
medical issues. Stay and ignore is my advice. Once Susan starts on the
attack she doesn't let up, like a dog at a bone.

You will do far better by staying, you will learn things you don't know
about and can hopefully use for yourself and your family. Please don't give
in to bullies. Normally this group is a lot friendlier and supportive than
the other diabetic groups. So please stay Lee. Ignorance is not a crime, we
are all ignorant about things til we learn and we don't learn by being
scared off. Give the rest of the nice people in here a chance to help you
find out about diabetes, diet and carbs.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmmee" > wrote in message
> susan,
>
> i am sorry it seems you are hostile to me posting in the group and as one
> of the reasonss i choose this group was the friendly tone of it, perhaps I
> should cease posting to make you more comfortable.
>
> Lee

Lee do not leave.

Susan's bark is worse than her bite and I assure you her heart is in the
right place.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks, i think i like this advice also... and i really do like the
information here, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Stormmmee wrote:
>> susan,
>>
>> i am sorry it seems you are hostile to me posting in the group and as
>> one of the reasonss i choose this group was the friendly tone of it,
>> perhaps I should cease posting to make you more comfortable.

> Don't, she is hostile to anyone who doesn't share her views on life or
> medical issues. Stay and ignore is my advice. Once Susan starts on the
> attack she doesn't let up, like a dog at a bone.
>
> You will do far better by staying, you will learn things you don't know
> about and can hopefully use for yourself and your family. Please don't
> give in to bullies. Normally this group is a lot friendlier and
> supportive than the other diabetic groups. So please stay Lee. Ignorance
> is not a crime, we are all ignorant about things til we learn and we don't
> learn by being scared off. Give the rest of the nice people in here a
> chance to help you find out about diabetes, diet and carbs.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i am sure you are right on all counts, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Stormmmee" > wrote in message
>> susan,
>>
>> i am sorry it seems you are hostile to me posting in the group and as one
>> of the reasonss i choose this group was the friendly tone of it, perhaps
>> I should cease posting to make you more comfortable.
>>
>> Lee

> Lee do not leave.
>
> Susan's bark is worse than her bite and I assure you her heart is in the
> right place.
>
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
> boundless heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmmee" > wrote in message
> susan,
>
> i am sorry it seems you are hostile to me posting in the group and as one
> of the reasonss i choose this group was the friendly tone of it, perhaps I
> should cease posting to make you more comfortable.

Don't let her run you off. She has been pulling an attitude lately with me
too.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmmee" > wrote in message
> so you subtract the fiber one for one? if the serving has ten carbs and
> three fibers then its seven carbs a serving? not so hard then. one of
> the issues is that i don't think i ever really read labels when i could
> see them, the dh reads me what i ask for but i never asked for carbs,
> won't be hard to add this to the mix, as for ww i read cal. fat. fiber. so
> one more is no big deal, Lee

That's right.

I don't personally count fat but then I generally don't have high fat meals.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" > wrote in message
> Stormmmee wrote:
>> so you subtract the fiber one for one?

> No, not if you're calculating insulin. Some fiber is digested.

That's not what I was told. I was told to subtract the fiber!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i am sure she means well, and i need the information here so i am staying,
Lee

--
Have a great day
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Stormmmee" > wrote in message
>> susan,
>>
>> i am sorry it seems you are hostile to me posting in the group and as one
>> of the reasonss i choose this group was the friendly tone of it, perhaps
>> I should cease posting to make you more comfortable.

> Don't let her run you off. She has been pulling an attitude lately with
> me too.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i calculate ww points using the fat, it would have never occured to me to do
it otherwise, the only thing i ever counted before ww points was calories,
Lee

--
Have a great day
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Stormmmee" > wrote in message
>> so you subtract the fiber one for one? if the serving has ten carbs and
>> three fibers then its seven carbs a serving? not so hard then. one of
>> the issues is that i don't think i ever really read labels when i could
>> see them, the dh reads me what i ask for but i never asked for carbs,
>> won't be hard to add this to the mix, as for ww i read cal. fat. fiber.
>> so one more is no big deal, Lee

> That's right.
>
> I don't personally count fat but then I generally don't have high fat
> meals.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Susan" > wrote in message
>> Stormmmee wrote:
>>> so you subtract the fiber one for one?

>> No, not if you're calculating insulin. Some fiber is digested.

> That's not what I was told. I was told to subtract the fiber!

This could be helpful. This is type 1 advice BTW. At the bottom of the page
is a next button, that takes you to sugar alcohols.

http://www.deo.ucsf.edu/type1/health...ing-fiber.html

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

in the cue... thanks. Lee

--
Have a great day
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> No, not if you're calculating insulin. Some fiber is digested.

>> That's not what I was told. I was told to subtract the fiber!

> This could be helpful. This is type 1 advice BTW. At the bottom of the
> page is a next button, that takes you to sugar alcohols.
>
> http://www.deo.ucsf.edu/type1/health...ing-fiber.html

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> No, not if you're calculating insulin. Some fiber is digested.

>> That's not what I was told. I was told to subtract the fiber!

> This could be helpful. This is type 1 advice BTW. At the bottom of the
> page is a next button, that takes you to sugar alcohols.
>
> http://www.deo.ucsf.edu/type1/health...ing-fiber.html

That's what I said. Apparently it is Susan who needs to read it. I won't
bother with the sugar alcohols page because I don't eat them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:13:24 -0500, "Stormmee"
> wrote:

>not diabetic myself, but am scared snotless of it, brother is insulin
>dependent
> he is a weird case and wasn't diagnosed until adulthood, he counts like
>you said, i know that much from listening to my mom, the shot he is on now
>is a fast acting type where he prepares his meal, figures the carbs, shoots
>the insulin then eats. it works better than anything else he has tried.

Is he a Type 1, Lee? - most of us posting here are Type 2s, the
dietary requirements can be wildly different.

But it sounds like your brother has got a handle on things - if you're
able to give him carb counts per serving, that'd be a big help, I'm
sure.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Stormmee" > wrote in message
: ...
: > as i said in the turkey soup thread, i haven't a clue about htis. it
: > would help me if i did, especailly because my brother shoots to his carbs,
: > and if i could give my mom a recipe with carbs already figured it would
: > make family gatherings go easier... less of a big deal for my brother and
: > mom anyway...
: >
[...]

She needs to get a carb counting book so she can find the crb counts for
fresh foods that don't come with labels. I use th eAtkins carb o****er
which gives total carbs, fiber count adn net effective carbs(without the
fiber) It has proven very useful to me for fruits, vegetables, dairy, etc
adn all kinds of foods.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Stormmee" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > as i said in the turkey soup thread, i haven't a clue about htis. it
> : > would help me if i did, especailly because my brother shoots to his
> carbs,
> : > and if i could give my mom a recipe with carbs already figured it
> would
> : > make family gatherings go easier... less of a big deal for my brother
> and
> : > mom anyway...
> : >
> : > like i said i tried to do some reading but either i was too tired, or
> what
> : > i was reading was to complex for my brain so:
> : > -is this on the label of packaged goods?
> : > -if it isn't what information do i need to figure it?
> : >
> : > -i do ww points and know the formula for that so if any of you are
> familar
> : > with that and can put it into that kind of context i might get it,
> : >
> : > lee
>
> : Counting carbs is easy. Just look on the package and see how many per
> : serving and how many servings you put in. Remember if you are in the
> U.S.
> : to subtract out the fiber for your final carb count. Then divide by the
> : number of servings.
>
> : When I make a soup, I often cook the noodles and beans separately
> (unless of
> : course it's a bean soup) so I cam measure them out and add to my bowl.
>
> : For casseroles, I cut in squares or wedges, depending on how my dish is
> : shaped. Easy to figure a portion that way.
>
> She needs to get a carb counting book so she can find the crb counts for
> fresh foods that don't come with labels. I use th eAtkins carb o****er
> which gives total carbs, fiber count adn net effective carbs(without the
> fiber) It has proven very useful to me for fruits, vegetables, dairy, etc
> adn all kinds of foods.

I guess so. I have a book but it has been so long since I've had to look in
it. I pretty much have everything I eat memorized by now.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i am not sure what they call him in the type dept, he was fine into his late
twenties early thirties, then got a cold and very ill, the afb base he was
on did a bg reading as part of his intake and it was off the charts... he
eventually left the military because of it, his pancreas,sp had evidentally
just taken that moment to quit... the best they can figure, and i think its
a guess, is that the truama he sustained in a motorcycle wreck, did it, he
almost died from that, the only other diabetic in my family was my
grandfather after he reached eighty, and my sister had gestational diabetes,
sp with her first of four children... i dont know if any of that helps or
not.

his health is not good but he has other health issue now so i am hoping to
reduce my mom's stress by giving her recipes, his stress, about eating at
gatherings, and my stress at trying to understand this disease, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:13:24 -0500, "Stormmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>not diabetic myself, but am scared snotless of it, brother is insulin
>>dependent
>> he is a weird case and wasn't diagnosed until adulthood, he counts like
>>you said, i know that much from listening to my mom, the shot he is on now
>>is a fast acting type where he prepares his meal, figures the carbs,
>>shoots
>>the insulin then eats. it works better than anything else he has tried.

> Is he a Type 1, Lee? - most of us posting here are Type 2s, the
> dietary requirements can be wildly different.
>
> But it sounds like your brother has got a handle on things - if you're
> able to give him carb counts per serving, that'd be a big help, I'm
> sure.
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 150ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

this is a good idea, i really am starting to feel less overwhelmed, Lee

--
Have a great day
"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Stormmee" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > as i said in the turkey soup thread, i haven't a clue about htis. it
> : > would help me if i did, especailly because my brother shoots to his
> carbs,
> : > and if i could give my mom a recipe with carbs already figured it
> would
> : > make family gatherings go easier... less of a big deal for my brother
> and
> : > mom anyway...
> : >
> : > like i said i tried to do some reading but either i was too tired, or
> what
> : > i was reading was to complex for my brain so:
> : > -is this on the label of packaged goods?
> : > -if it isn't what information do i need to figure it?
> : >
> : > -i do ww points and know the formula for that so if any of you are
> familar
> : > with that and can put it into that kind of context i might get it,
> : >
> : > lee
>
> : Counting carbs is easy. Just look on the package and see how many per
> : serving and how many servings you put in. Remember if you are in the
> U.S.
> : to subtract out the fiber for your final carb count. Then divide by the
> : number of servings.
>
> : When I make a soup, I often cook the noodles and beans separately
> (unless of
> : course it's a bean soup) so I cam measure them out and add to my bowl.
>
> : For casseroles, I cut in squares or wedges, depending on how my dish is
> : shaped. Easy to figure a portion that way.
>
> She needs to get a carb counting book so she can find the crb counts for
> fresh foods that don't come with labels. I use th eAtkins carb o****er
> which gives total carbs, fiber count adn net effective carbs(without the
> fiber) It has proven very useful to me for fruits, vegetables, dairy, etc
> adn all kinds of foods.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 01:04:05 -0500, "Stormmmee"
> wrote:

>i am not sure what they call him in the type dept, he was fine into his late
>twenties early thirties, then got a cold and very ill, the afb base he was
>on did a bg reading as part of his intake and it was off the charts... he
>eventually left the military because of it, his pancreas,sp had evidentally
>just taken that moment to quit... the best they can figure, and i think its
>a guess, is that the truama he sustained in a motorcycle wreck, did it, he
>almost died from that, the only other diabetic in my family was my
>grandfather after he reached eighty, and my sister had gestational diabetes,
>sp with her first of four children... i dont know if any of that helps or
>not.

Your brother sounds Type 1, possibly... your Grandad was probably Type
2; your sister is at higher risk from Type 2. (I'm impressed she only
had GD for the first of 4 pregnancies! It normally gets worse.) So
there's quite a strong history of it in your family; the lot of you
eating lower carb and trying to get a bit more exercise would be good!

I thought that I was the first diabetic in our family, until the endo
gave me 4 ticks for early heart attacks and strokes on my mother's
side of the family; then my half-brother (father's side) got diagnosed
within a week of me. Our Dad got his dx last year, age 86... Quite
often it was hidden, or a more energetic lifestyle allowed it to be
dormant until after death.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 01:04:05 -0500, "Stormmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>i am not sure what they call him in the type dept, he was fine into his
>>late
>>twenties early thirties, then got a cold and very ill, the afb base he was
>>on did a bg reading as part of his intake and it was off the charts... he
>>eventually left the military because of it, his pancreas,sp had
>>evidentally
>>just taken that moment to quit... the best they can figure, and i think
>>its
>>a guess, is that the truama he sustained in a motorcycle wreck, did it, he
>>almost died from that, the only other diabetic in my family was my
>>grandfather after he reached eighty, and my sister had gestational
>>diabetes,
>>sp with her first of four children... i dont know if any of that helps or
>>not.

> Your brother sounds Type 1, possibly... your Grandad was probably Type
> 2; your sister is at higher risk from Type 2. (I'm impressed she only
> had GD for the first of 4 pregnancies! It normally gets worse.) So
> there's quite a strong history of it in your family; the lot of you
> eating lower carb and trying to get a bit more exercise would be good!
>
> I thought that I was the first diabetic in our family, until the endo
> gave me 4 ticks for early heart attacks and strokes on my mother's
> side of the family; then my half-brother (father's side) got diagnosed
> within a week of me. Our Dad got his dx last year, age 86... Quite
> often it was hidden, or a more energetic lifestyle allowed it to be
> dormant until after death.

I thought I was the first one too. First type 2 anyway. My dad had an
uncle who used insulin. I just assumed he was type 1. Then after I
mentioned it in a Christmas letter, all sort of people came out of hiding.
Apparently there were/are a lot of diabetics in the family but nobody wanted
to admit to it. Many are now deceased. But I have an aunt on either side
of the family, cousin, dad, brother and then my mom who would never admit to
it but I have seen her labs.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

sister worked very hard with the rest of them, and i think her activity
level had something to do with it, with child three she was horse back
riding and mowing the lawn with a push mower until she went into labor... i
admire her a lot, i would be such a baby about it all, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 01:04:05 -0500, "Stormmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>i am not sure what they call him in the type dept, he was fine into his
>>late
>>twenties early thirties, then got a cold and very ill, the afb base he was
>>on did a bg reading as part of his intake and it was off the charts... he
>>eventually left the military because of it, his pancreas,sp had
>>evidentally
>>just taken that moment to quit... the best they can figure, and i think
>>its
>>a guess, is that the truama he sustained in a motorcycle wreck, did it, he
>>almost died from that, the only other diabetic in my family was my
>>grandfather after he reached eighty, and my sister had gestational
>>diabetes,
>>sp with her first of four children... i dont know if any of that helps or
>>not.

> Your brother sounds Type 1, possibly... your Grandad was probably Type
> 2; your sister is at higher risk from Type 2. (I'm impressed she only
> had GD for the first of 4 pregnancies! It normally gets worse.) So
> there's quite a strong history of it in your family; the lot of you
> eating lower carb and trying to get a bit more exercise would be good!
>
> I thought that I was the first diabetic in our family, until the endo
> gave me 4 ticks for early heart attacks and strokes on my mother's
> side of the family; then my half-brother (father's side) got diagnosed
> within a week of me. Our Dad got his dx last year, age 86... Quite
> often it was hidden, or a more energetic lifestyle allowed it to be
> dormant until after death.
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 150ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:36:19 -0500, "Stormmmee"
> wrote:

>sister worked very hard with the rest of them, and i think her activity
>level had something to do with it, with child three she was horse back
>riding and mowing the lawn with a push mower until she went into labor... i
>admire her a lot, i would be such a baby about it all, Lee

LOL - yes, I guess running around after the other kids would have
something to do with it, not to mention the riding and mowing!!

I found childbirth relatively easy - it's raising teens that's
exercising my brain...

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

she had a hard time with all of it, she now has kids from 21 to 11 and the
oldest one just made her a grandmother she says it all sucks, but the pay
off with good kids is worth it, she is quite amazing, the x dh isn't
present, and she has managed to raise these kids, work full time and get her
ba and is now working on her masters, she is quite a wonderful mother and
friend, and she is very vocal as to her appreciation for what my parents
have done as well, so humble to boot... well beyond my selfishness meter for
sure, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:36:19 -0500, "Stormmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>sister worked very hard with the rest of them, and i think her activity
>>level had something to do with it, with child three she was horse back
>>riding and mowing the lawn with a push mower until she went into labor...
>>admire her a lot, i would be such a baby about it all, Lee

> LOL - yes, I guess running around after the other kids would have
> something to do with it, not to mention the riding and mowing!!
>
> I found childbirth relatively easy - it's raising teens that's
> exercising my brain...
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 150ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Stormmee" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > as i said in the turkey soup thread, i haven't a clue about htis. it
> : > would help me if i did, especailly because my brother shoots to his
> carbs,
> : > and if i could give my mom a recipe with carbs already figured it
> would
> : > make family gatherings go easier... less of a big deal for my brother
> and
> : > mom anyway...
> : >
> : > like i said i tried to do some reading but either i was too tired, or
> what
> : > i was reading was to complex for my brain so:
> : > -is this on the label of packaged goods?
> : > -if it isn't what information do i need to figure it?
> : >
> : > -i do ww points and know the formula for that so if any of you are
> familar
> : > with that and can put it into that kind of context i might get it,
> : >
> : > lee
>
> : Counting carbs is easy. Just look on the package and see how many per
> : serving and how many servings you put in. Remember if you are in the
> U.S.
> : to subtract out the fiber for your final carb count. Then divide by the
> : number of servings.
>
> : When I make a soup, I often cook the noodles and beans separately
> (unless of
> : course it's a bean soup) so I cam measure them out and add to my bowl.
>
> : For casseroles, I cut in squares or wedges, depending on how my dish is
> : shaped. Easy to figure a portion that way.
>
> She needs to get a carb counting book so she can find the crb counts for
> fresh foods that don't come with labels. I use th eAtkins carb o****er
> which gives total carbs, fiber count adn net effective carbs(without the
> fiber) It has proven very useful to me for fruits, vegetables, dairy, etc
> adn all kinds of foods.
>
> Wendy

Here's a site that should help her find the carb counts, for as long as
she's willing to wade through the other nutrient data the

http://www.ars.usda.gov/main/site_ma...de=12-35-45-00

Robert Miles

net carbs? RichD General Cooking 43 21-01-2016 07:26 PM
Question on figuring out % alcohol Rusty Winemaking 3 28-04-2005 06:26 PM
Question on figuring out % alcohol Rusty Winemaking 0 26-04-2005 03:59 PM
Good Carbs, Bad Carbs, And Cancer Steve Vegan 0 12-08-2004 05:31 PM
Figuring the final alcohol Rick Winemaking 2 10-02-2004 12:48 AM