Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Vegetables that are good for Nick/Dad:

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 08:01:04 +1000, Alan S
> wrote:

>Like cigarettes? Forgive me, but I can't get rid of this picture in my
>mind's eye of a woman leaning over the casserole pot with a smoke
>hanging off her lips as ash drops in the stew...

That is _exactly_ how my grandmother cooked - she chainsmoked for
about 80 years... <shudder> it always tasted good, though...

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "BlueBrooke" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 08:01:04 +1000, Alan S
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:06:12 -0500, BlueBrooke

>>> Like cigarettes? Forgive me, but I can't get rid of this picture in my
>>> mind's eye of a woman leaning over the casserole pot with a smoke
>>> hanging off her lips as ash drops in the stew...

>> I know! And that's just what it tasted like! All I can remember
>> about it was that it had stewed tomatoes or something in it -- and the
>> taste!
>>
>> Yes, she did smoke, but nothing else coming out of the kitchen tasted
>> like that. :-)

> We used to dine at the Hibernia Diner in NJ on our way to PA from NY. I
> loved their stewed zucchini although the waitress warned me that it was an
> acquired taste. I wanted to make it at home but never could find the
> right recipe. Oddly, my husband's aunt gave me a recipe box of someone
> who had died. I don't know who. Whoever it was, she collected over 200
> stewed zucchini recipes. There were so many variations that I gave up
> after about 6 failed attempts.

I used to eat at that same diner on my way to route 513, which went north to
Orange County NY! They had very good food.

This is what I do with stewed zucchini. It is easy and fast, and tastes
great.

Cut up a couple Zucchini into chunks, leaving the skin on.
Add one can of stewed tomatoes.
Chop an onion and add that to the pot
Chop a clove or two of garlic and put that in.
A smallish splash of Marsala wine.
A pinch of red pepper flakes
A bit of either fresh or dried Basil
A couple of spoonfulls of olive oil
A bit of salt and fresh ground pepper.

Start it very slowly, since the zucchini gives off a lot of liquid, so you
don't need to add more than what came in the tomatoes, the wine and the oil.
Once it starts giving off more liquid, stir it then simmer till all is
tender. You can't ruin it, and it tastes wonderful.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

>>> Why? He doesn't like green beans, and he surely doesn't need them with
>>> the list he's got. :-)
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Well, I have found that sometimes not liking a vegetable has to do with a
>> certain preparation. Last evening I made brussel sprouts for example. I
>> never used to like them. Now I know how to make them absolutely
>> delicious and hubby and I both like them a lot. I cut them in half, add
>> water, and boil till only just tender crisp. Drain. Add butter, salt,
>> pepper, and the juice of a lemon, and also add a sprinkle of parsley.
>> Toss well, so all juice and butter coats them well.
>>
>> I had guests over last night and EVERYONE exclaimed how absolutely
>> delicious the brussel sprouts were and ate every last one. I had
>> reservations, since not every one likes them, but they all loved them
>> cooked this way. So sometimes a vegetable may taste awful to someone,
>> but a little change in prep and suddenly it is a new favorite.
>>
>> I know several very different ways of making green beans, and each way is
>> good, but really different. When I have time, I will post how I make
>> them. Plain or with garlic and oil is how mostly people eat them. I do
>> them differently.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Evelyn
>>
>> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
>> boundless heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8
>>

> I love Brussel Sprouts, never thought to add the lemon juice...I'll have
> to try it ...Thanks Evelyn

That same parsley/lemon juice/butter and salt and pepper combo works out
FABULOUS with carrots. Another trick is to add just one cut up parsnip to
the carrots when you cook them. Drain before adding the parsley lemon
butter.
--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 14:29:11 -0400, "Evelyn" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Another recipe, (my grandmothers) is this.

>> I invented another recipe tonight, by accident! I had dry-fried some
>> bacon steaks, and was in a tearing hurry so had just boiled some green
>> beans until tender; I'd planned to simply serve them with a bit of
>> butter. Clumsy here tipped the colander and spilled half of them into
>> the pan with the bacon, so I gave in and stirred all the beans in for
>> a second; they picked up the nice crispy bits left in the pan, and
>> picked up a tiny bit of colour. I had cooked extra so I could add them
>> to my salad tomorrow, but the leftovers have mysteriously vanished...
>>
>> Nicky.
>> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
>> D&E, 150ug thyroxine
>> Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
>>

> I serve my green beans with crumbled bacon often...it's a favorite in this
> house.

How do you make them, Jacquie?
--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote:

>> > Yeah, we like them that way too - I often throw in some
>> > chilli or chilli seeds for a bit of spice.

>> What I exactly put in is the following;
>> [ . . . ]

> Thanks, Evelyn. Both recipes sound like they'd be really good with
> something other than stringbeans!

Try them, Nick. I also love fresh squeezed lemon juice on Broccoli. It
is incredibly good and it doesn't add any sugar or calories.

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

sweet potatoes and yams are commonly on the menu here in IL, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Jacquie wrote:
>
>> We went to Dinner at a new Grill place the other night...they gave
>> you a choice of potatoes and one of the choices was Baked Sweet
>> Potatoes, I was pleasantly surprised, you don't see many places offer
>> them.

> The only place I have ever seen them in restaurants is Lonestar Steakhouse
> here. That's where I grew to like mine that way

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn > wrote:
: "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Evelyn wrote:
: >> "Nicky" > wrote in message
: >> ...
: >>> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 07:12:00 -0400, "Evelyn" >
: >>> wrote:
: >>>
: >>>> Nick, try making the green beans italian style, with garlic, onion
: >>>> and some
: >>>> canned tomatoes and a bit of olive oil. Simmer till tender. MMMMMM
: >>>> good
: >>>
: >>> Yeah, we like them that way too - I often throw in some
: >>> chilli or chilli seeds for a bit of spice.
: >>>
: >>
: >> What I exactly put in is the following;
: >>
: >> fresh green beans
: >> 1 can stewed tomatoes
: >> abt. a quarter cup of marsala wine
: >> one onion chopped
: >> a couple of garlic cloves chopped
: >> pinch of red pepper flakes
: >> some basil and a tiny bit of oregano
: >> a couple tablespoons of olive oil
: >> salt, black pepper
: >>
: >> It comes out so delicious you can't imagine!
: >
: > Would the red pepper flakes be bell peppers or chili peppers?

: They are hot and spicy.

Perrerichino, the stuff you put on pizza if you like a little heat. I use
them as a kind of quick and dirty generic heat ofr lots of dishes.

Wendy
: --

: Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Jacquie wrote:
>
>> We went to Dinner at a new Grill place the other night...they gave
>> you a choice of potatoes and one of the choices was Baked Sweet
>> Potatoes, I was pleasantly surprised, you don't see many places offer
>> them.

> The only place I have ever seen them in restaurants is Lonestar Steakhouse
> here. That's where I grew to like mine that way

My Son and his Wife took us to a Lone Star in Phoenix once. Steaks are
pretty good. It was a few years ago and I didn't see the sweet potatoes ,
but wasn't really looking for them....it's nice to see some places are
offering them

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Evelyn > wrote:
> : "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> : [ . . . ]
> : > Would the red pepper flakes be bell peppers or chili peppers?
>
> : They are hot and spicy.
>
> Perrerichino, the stuff you put on pizza if you like a little heat. I
> use them as a kind of quick and dirty generic heat ofr lots of dishes.

Wendula! Pepperoncini are the pickled peppers. Pepperoncillo (Thai prik
bon) are the dried hot chile flakes.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
>>
>> "Nicky" > wrote in message

>>> I invented another recipe tonight, by accident! I had dry-fried some
>>> bacon steaks, and was in a tearing hurry so had just boiled some green
>>> beans until tender; I'd planned to simply serve them with a bit of
>>> butter. Clumsy here tipped the colander and spilled half of them into
>>> the pan with the bacon, so I gave in and stirred all the beans in for
>>> a second; they picked up the nice crispy bits left in the pan, and
>>> picked up a tiny bit of colour. I had cooked extra so I could add them
>>> to my salad tomorrow, but the leftovers have mysteriously vanished...
>>>
>>> Nicky.
>>> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
>>> D&E, 150ug thyroxine
>>> Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
>>>

>> I serve my green beans with crumbled bacon often...it's a favorite in
>> this house.

> How do you make them, Jacquie?
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
> boundless heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

I usually use Frozen Green Beans but Fresh can be used to. I usually take
about 2-3 slices of bacon cut them up,put into a fry pan and start frying, I
add finely chopped onion and throw in with the bacon when the bacon is
almost done. I fry it just before it gets crispy...if you like it crispy
then fry it that way. I'll take a bag of frozen green beans and cook them by
the directions...then put the beans in a bowl then throw the bacon, and
onions on top...don't drain the grease....mix it all up and there you
go...sometimes I will add some light kidney beans to the mixture. Season to
taste...with the bacon you don't need salt, we add a bit of pepper.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "W. Baker" > wrote:
>> Evelyn > wrote:
>> : "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> : [ . . . ]
>> : > Would the red pepper flakes be bell peppers or chili peppers?
>>
>> : They are hot and spicy.
>>
>> Perrerichino, the stuff you put on pizza if you like a little heat. I
>> use them as a kind of quick and dirty generic heat ofr lots of dishes.

> Wendula! Pepperoncini are the pickled peppers. Pepperoncillo (Thai prik
> bon) are the dried hot chile flakes.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

I like those pepper flakes on my Pizza...just a little, that's the only heat
on food I like..weird huh?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Jacquie" > wrote:
>> Live with it, Take meds that cut down stomach acid, sleep with the top of
>> your bed elevated. They don't do surgery on them much more...seems that
>> they return.
>>
>> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>> [ . . . ]
>> > Sorry about the hernia, Jacquie. Prognosis?
>> > [ . . . ]

> Abdomenal? Femora? Inguinal? Situps?
>
> I had an inguinal hernia about 30 years ago. I now have a fiberglass
> screen
> in my groin. No problem since.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Sorry Nick..it is a Hiatal Hernia...my stomach slips through my
diaphragm...it's not a real big one just enough to cause chest pain
sometimes and acid reflux....that's why they want to keep the acid amount
down in my stomach...it comes up much easier. Oh I also cough allot after
meals...pressure on the diaphragm again...and I get hic-ups if I eat raw
carrots and saltines

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jacquie wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Jacquie wrote:
>>
>>> We went to Dinner at a new Grill place the other night...they gave
>>> you a choice of potatoes and one of the choices was Baked Sweet
>>> Potatoes, I was pleasantly surprised, you don't see many places
>>> offer them.

>> The only place I have ever seen them in restaurants is Lonestar
>> Steakhouse here. That's where I grew to like mine that way
>>

> My Son and his Wife took us to a Lone Star in Phoenix once. Steaks are
> pretty good. It was a few years ago and I didn't see the sweet
> potatoes , but wasn't really looking for them....it's nice to see
> some places are offering them

You have a choice of the sweet potato, mashed potato and fries. Maybe baked
potato too, not sure. You also get a free salad which used to be wonderful
but now comes out of a bag.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>> "Jacquie" > wrote in message
>> m...

>>> I serve my green beans with crumbled bacon often...it's a favorite in
>>> this house.

>> How do you make them, Jacquie?
>> --
>>
>> Evelyn
>>
>> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
>> boundless heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8
>>

> I usually use Frozen Green Beans but Fresh can be used to. I usually take
> about 2-3 slices of bacon cut them up,put into a fry pan and start frying,
> I add finely chopped onion and throw in with the bacon when the bacon is
> almost done. I fry it just before it gets crispy...if you like it crispy
> then fry it that way. I'll take a bag of frozen green beans and cook them
> by the directions...then put the beans in a bowl then throw the bacon, and
> onions on top...don't drain the grease....mix it all up and there you
> go...sometimes I will add some light kidney beans to the mixture. Season
> to taste...with the bacon you don't need salt, we add a bit of pepper.

That sounds good! I will try it.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > "W. Baker" > wrote:
> >> Evelyn > wrote:
> >> : "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> >> : [ . . . ]
> >> : > Would the red pepper flakes be bell peppers or chili peppers?
> >>
> >> : They are hot and spicy.
> >>
> >> Perrerichino, the stuff you put on pizza if you like a little heat. I
> >> use them as a kind of quick and dirty generic heat ofr lots of dishes.

> > Wendula! Pepperoncini are the pickled peppers. Pepperoncillo (Thai prik
> > bon) are the dried hot chile flakes.

> I like those pepper flakes on my Pizza...just a little, that's the only
> heat on food I like..weird huh?

Is that a throwback to your teen years? When I was in my mid-teens, I would
get plain thin crust pizza, just sauce and mozzarella. Always put
pepperoncillo on 'em. Schaeffer's beer, of course. Joe's Pizzeria, McKlean
Ave, Yonkers NY. Now I add pepperoni (to the pizza).

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Jacquie wrote:

>>> The only place I have ever seen them in restaurants is Lonestar
>>> Steakhouse here. That's where I grew to like mine that way
>>>

>> My Son and his Wife took us to a Lone Star in Phoenix once. Steaks are
>> pretty good. It was a few years ago and I didn't see the sweet
>> potatoes , but wasn't really looking for them....it's nice to see
>> some places are offering them

> You have a choice of the sweet potato, mashed potato and fries. Maybe
> baked potato too, not sure. You also get a free salad which used to be
> wonderful but now comes out of a bag.

There is a steak house in Phoenix that has the neatest salad bar...it has
everything you can think of and things that you didn't know about...they
have Great Steaks but I think one of the main reasons people go there is
because of the Salad Bar.
Whenever we go visit them they take us to a new place of course Phoenix and
the cities around it have allot more places to eat then we do in Tucson.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > "Jacquie" > wrote:
> >> Live with it, Take meds that cut down stomach acid, sleep with the top
> >> of your bed elevated. They don't do surgery on them much more...seems
> >> that they return.
> >>
> >> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> >> [ . . . ]

> > Abdomenal? Femora? Inguinal? Situps?
> >
> > I had an inguinal hernia about 30 years ago. I now have a fiberglass
> > screen
> > in my groin. No problem since.

> Sorry Nick..it is a Hiatal Hernia...my stomach slips through my
> diaphragm...it's not a real big one just enough to cause chest pain
> sometimes and acid reflux....that's why they want to keep the acid amount
> down in my stomach...it comes up much easier. Oh I also cough allot after
> meals...pressure on the diaphragm again...and I get hic-ups if I eat raw
> carrots and saltines

That purely sucks! If it causes chest pain and acid reflux, that sounds big
enough to me! Don't eat raw carrots and Saltines, Jacquie. ;-D

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer > wrote:
: "W. Baker" > wrote:
: > Evelyn > wrote:
: > : "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
: > : [ . . . ]
: > : > Would the red pepper flakes be bell peppers or chili peppers?
: >
: > : They are hot and spicy.
: >
: > Perrerichino, the stuff you put on pizza if you like a little heat. I
: > use them as a kind of quick and dirty generic heat ofr lots of dishes.

: Wendula! Pepperoncini are the pickled peppers. Pepperoncillo (Thai prik
: bon) are the dried hot chile flakes.

: --
: Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their

I got the term from Lidia on her TV show.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sep 27, 11:05*pm, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> Made this shopping list for my wife and daughter to select from and work
> their way through. Did I miss anything? Should I eliminate anything? Thanks
> for any thoughts.
>
> Vegetables that are good for Nick/Dad:
>
> Artichokes
> asparagus
> Avocados
> bean sprouts
> beet greens
> Beets (1/2 cup)
> Bell peppers - no thanks
> Blackberries
> Blueberries
> broccoli NO!
> Brussels sprouts
> cabbage
> Cantaloupe (1/2 cup)
> cauliflower NO!
> celery
> Chile peppers - any kind!!!
> Collard greens Yeah, baby!
> Cranberries
> cucumber
> eggplant Yeah, baby ! ! !
> Garlic - did I say Yeah, baby ! ! !
> Ginger
> Green onions
> Lemons
> lettuce (Not Iceberg, please.)
> Limes
> marrow squash
> mushrooms
> Mustard greens Yeah, baby!
> onions (1/2 cup)
> parsley
> Parsnips (1/2 cup)
> Peas (1/2 cup)
> Pumpkin (1/2 cup)
> radishes
> Raspberries
> Red potatoes (1/2 cup)
> rhubarb - please cook it!!!
> Rutabagas (1/2 cup)
> spinach
> squash (1/2 cup)
> Strawberries
> Sweet potatoes (1/2 cup)
> Swiss chard
> tomatoes (1 cup)
> Turnips (1/2 cup)
> yellow or green beans - NO!
> zucchini
>
> Thanks!
> Nick/dad
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: *https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/* *Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: *http://anymarine.com/* You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! * * * * * * * * ~Semper Fi~ * * * * * * * *USMC 1365061

Oh, this is an interesting thread Nick. Looks like a good list to me,
but how about fennel bulb? It is very good grilled or roasted, and
easy to prepare--just chop in half, wash really good, and douse with
some olive oil, salt, and pepper and toss it on the grill for about
10-20 minutes per side. What about carrots or green peas--too carby?
what about sea weeds like wakame or nori? They are good to enrich
soup.

I find a lot of vegetables that I don't like so much on their own
(like broccoli or Swiss chard) are good chopped up, doused in a thin
batter of garbanzo bean flour, and fried until golden brown, similar
to Indian pakora. I got the idea from Nicky. This is not a low
calorie dish, but I eat it all the time and it is kind to my waist
line. Plus, it is a way to eat a boat load of all kinds of vegetables
and it is tasty and filling. I add lots of grated garlic, ginger, and
minced pepper to the batter, along with tumeric, galangal, masala,
etc. I like savory, spicy food so I also add chili powder and maybe
mango powder, and I eat it with a homemade mint-cilantro-lime chutney
and some cucumber-yogurt sauce to cool the mouth fires, lol.

Best,

Ricavito
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Jacquie" > wrote:

>> > Abdomenal? Femora? Inguinal? Situps?
>> >
>> > I had an inguinal hernia about 30 years ago. I now have a fiberglass
>> > screen
>> > in my groin. No problem since.

>> Sorry Nick..it is a Hiatal Hernia...my stomach slips through my
>> diaphragm...it's not a real big one just enough to cause chest pain
>> sometimes and acid reflux....that's why they want to keep the acid amount
>> down in my stomach...it comes up much easier. Oh I also cough allot after
>> meals...pressure on the diaphragm again...and I get hic-ups if I eat raw
>> carrots and saltines

> That purely sucks! If it causes chest pain and acid reflux, that sounds
> big
> enough to me! Don't eat raw carrots and Saltines, Jacquie. ;-D
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

LOL no loss they both aren't to carb friendly Well it was kind of a
relief when they told me the chest pain was from the hernia...I thought I
was developing some kind of heart problem They have me on Prilosec to cut
the acid in my stomach.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> : "W. Baker" > wrote:
> : > Evelyn > wrote:
> : > : "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> : > : [ . . . ]
> : > : > Would the red pepper flakes be bell peppers or chili peppers?
> : >
> : > : They are hot and spicy.
> : >
> : > Perrerichino, the stuff you put on pizza if you like a little heat.
> : > I use them as a kind of quick and dirty generic heat ofr lots of
> : > dishes.
>
> : Wendula! Pepperoncini are the pickled peppers. Pepperoncillo (Thai prik
> : bon) are the dried hot chile flakes.

> I got the term from Lidia on her TV show.

Lidia Pinkham? LOL Seriously, she was wrong.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ricavito > wrote:
> On Sep 27, 11:05=A0pm, Nick Cramer > wrote:
> > Made this shopping list for my wife and daughter to select from and
> > work their way through. Did I miss anything? Should I eliminate
> > anything? Thanks for any thoughts.
> >
> > Vegetables that are good for Nick/Dad:
> >[]

> Oh, this is an interesting thread Nick. Looks like a good list to me,
> but how about fennel bulb? It is very good grilled or roasted, and
> easy to prepare--just chop in half, wash really good, and douse with
> some olive oil, salt, and pepper and toss it on the grill for about
> 10-20 minutes per side. What about carrots or green peas--too carby?
> what about sea weeds like wakame or nori? They are good to enrich
> soup. []

Thanks, Ricavito. Fennel good. Added. Daikon and Leeks, too. Although I use
seaweeds in making Miso and other soups, and chew on them as snacks, I
hadn't thought to add them to the list, which I have now done. Carrots, raw
or cooked, spike me. I don't use much in cole slaw. Snap peas and snow peas
are already on the revised list.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i'll be right over, recipes for all of this please... drooling, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Ricavito" > wrote in message
> [...]

what about sea weeds like wakame or nori? They are good to enrich
soup.

I find a lot of vegetables that I don't like so much on their own
(like broccoli or Swiss chard) are good chopped up, doused in a thin
batter of garbanzo bean flour, and fried until golden brown, similar
to Indian pakora. I got the idea from Nicky. This is not a low
calorie dish, but I eat it all the time and it is kind to my waist
line. Plus, it is a way to eat a boat load of all kinds of vegetables
and it is tasty and filling. I add lots of grated garlic, ginger, and
minced pepper to the batter, along with tumeric, galangal, masala,
etc. I like savory, spicy food so I also add chili powder and maybe
mango powder, and I eat it with a homemade mint-cilantro-lime chutney
and some cucumber-yogurt sauce to cool the mouth fires, lol.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer > wrote:
: "W. Baker" > wrote:
: > Nick Cramer > wrote:
: > : "W. Baker" > wrote:
: > : > Evelyn > wrote:
: > : > : "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
: > : > : [ . . . ]
: > : > : > Would the red pepper flakes be bell peppers or chili peppers?
: > : >
: > : > : They are hot and spicy.
: > : >
: > : > Perrerichino, the stuff you put on pizza if you like a little heat.
: > : > I use them as a kind of quick and dirty generic heat ofr lots of
: > : > dishes.
: >
: > : Wendula! Pepperoncini are the pickled peppers. Pepperoncillo (Thai prik
: > : bon) are the dried hot chile flakes.

: > I got the term from Lidia on her TV show.

: Lidia Pinkham? LOL Seriously, she was wrong.

: --
: Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their

Lidia Bastianich(sp?) who has an excellent cooking show on Italian cooking
, currently, from various areas of Italy. She also runs several
restaurants(high prices).

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i can't remember, but you seem to like greens is polk on your list? Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Ricavito > wrote:
>> On Sep 27, 11:05=A0pm, Nick Cramer > wrote:
>> > Made this shopping list for my wife and daughter to select from and
>> > work their way through. Did I miss anything? Should I eliminate
>> > anything? Thanks for any thoughts.
>> >
>> > Vegetables that are good for Nick/Dad:
>> >[]

>> Oh, this is an interesting thread Nick. Looks like a good list to me,
>> but how about fennel bulb? It is very good grilled or roasted, and
>> easy to prepare--just chop in half, wash really good, and douse with
>> some olive oil, salt, and pepper and toss it on the grill for about
>> 10-20 minutes per side. What about carrots or green peas--too carby?
>> what about sea weeds like wakame or nori? They are good to enrich
>> soup. []

> Thanks, Ricavito. Fennel good. Added. Daikon and Leeks, too. Although I
> use
> seaweeds in making Miso and other soups, and chew on them as snacks, I
> hadn't thought to add them to the list, which I have now done. Carrots,
> raw
> or cooked, spike me. I don't use much in cole slaw. Snap peas and snow
> peas
> are already on the revised list.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:05:21 -0500, "Stormmee"
> wrote:

>i can't remember, but you seem to like greens is polk on your list? Lee

Oo! What is polk?

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Nicky > wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:05:21 -0500, "Stormmee"
> > wrote:
>
> >i can't remember, but you seem to like greens is polk on your list? Lee

> Oo! What is polk?
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 150ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26

I got ink berry never ate it.

<http://everything2.com/node/303307?bookmark_site=Furl&op=socialBookmark>

Fiddle ferns and malabar spinach come to mind .

Bill

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

its a green and has a very strong flavor, a sort of rougher version of
spinach or kale... the song polk salad annie imortalized it... it usually
grows wild but you can sometimes get it at farmer's markets... i love every
green there is and my grandmother would make wilted greens...

you fry bacon and onions, and mixe in a couple of boiled eggs then set that
aside you put the greens into the skillet with a little of the bacon grease
just to barely heat then pour over the bacon mix and stir, turn off the heat
and cover, s/p to taste. Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:05:21 -0500, "Stormmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>i can't remember, but you seem to like greens is polk on your list? Lee

> Oo! What is polk?
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 150ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 13:46:02 -0500, "Stormmee"
> wrote:

>its a green and has a very strong flavor, a sort of rougher version of
>spinach or kale... the song polk salad annie imortalized it... it usually
>grows wild but you can sometimes get it at farmer's markets... i love every
>green there is and my grandmother would make wilted greens...
>
>you fry bacon and onions, and mixe in a couple of boiled eggs then set that
>aside you put the greens into the skillet with a little of the bacon grease
>just to barely heat then pour over the bacon mix and stir, turn off the heat
>and cover, s/p to taste. Lee

Heh - thanks, Bill and Lee!

I used that recipe for cavalo nero tonight, as it happens - yum.

I guess polk = the Cypriot "horta" - anything wild? I often eat
nettles and lambs' lettuce I pick, but that doesn't sound right?

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Nicky > wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 13:46:02 -0500, "Stormmee"
> > wrote:
>
> >its a green and has a very strong flavor, a sort of rougher version of
> >spinach or kale... the song polk salad annie imortalized it... it usually
> >grows wild but you can sometimes get it at farmer's markets... i love every
> >green there is and my grandmother would make wilted greens...
> >
> >you fry bacon and onions, and mixe in a couple of boiled eggs then set that
> >aside you put the greens into the skillet with a little of the bacon grease
> >just to barely heat then pour over the bacon mix and stir, turn off the heat
> >and cover, s/p to taste. Lee

> Heh - thanks, Bill and Lee!
>
> I used that recipe for cavalo nero tonight, as it happens - yum.
>
> I guess polk = the Cypriot "horta" - anything wild? I often eat
> nettles and lambs' lettuce I pick, but that doesn't sound right?
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 150ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26

We call it Lambs Quarters

<http://www.google.com/search?client=...Quarters&ie=UT
F-8&oe=UTF-8>
We have purslane about too.

Bill

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote:
> i can't remember, but you seem to like greens is polk on your list? Lee
> [ . . . ]

Not readily available (if at all) in Los Angeles. I've never had poke
salad.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote:
> its a green and has a very strong flavor, a sort of rougher version of
> spinach or kale... the song polk salad annie imortalized it... it usually
> grows wild but you can sometimes get it at farmer's markets... i love
> every green there is and my grandmother would make wilted greens...
>
> you fry bacon and onions, and mixe in a couple of boiled eggs then set
> that aside you put the greens into the skillet with a little of the bacon
> grease just to barely heat then pour over the bacon mix and stir, turn
> off the heat and cover, s/p to taste. Lee

Poke is highly toxic. A cup of tea, made with one tsp of powdered poke root
will kill you. Recommendation is to boil the leaves three times, in fresh
water each boil, before using. I think you only have to boil the berries
twice.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sep 30, 1:04*pm, Nicky > wrote:

> I guess polk = the Cypriot "horta" - anything wild? I often eat
> nettles and lambs' lettuce I pick, but that doesn't sound right?

Hey Nicky,

Polk sallet is a native plant that I'm pretty sure is endemic to the
southern U.S. In my former neck of the woods, it grew wild mand was
considered poor people's food. I used to pick it when I was a kid
along the fence line in the cow pasture.

Popular wisdom was that it was a sort of medicinal herb, kind of like
bitter melon, good for the blood, etc. Note it is poke *sallet*, not
salad, and has to be cooked. If you eat it raw it'll make you sick.
My mom would cook it until it rolled over and died.

Years ago I tried to grow some in California, but the seeds (it makes
berries) didn't come up. I have since learned that it is a bird gut
germinator, which explains why it didn't overtake the kudzu back
home. I was not willing to germinate the seeds myself, so no polk
sallet for me, LOL.

Best,

Ricavito

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sep 30, 10:03*am, "Stormmee" > wrote:
> i'll be right over, recipes for all of this please... drooling, Lee
>
> --
> Have a wonderful day

LOL, if you mean the fried veggies Lee, they are basically Indian
pakora. Google "pakora" and you'll find a treasure trove of recipes
which you can adjust it to suit your taste. I would say the one "must
have" is the chickpea flour, and I personally like a much thinner
batter than most recipes call for (less carbs that way too). Bobs Red
Mill makes a good chickpea (aka garbanzo bean or gram flour).

Here's a good recipe to start: http://www.toomanychefs.net/archives/001910..php

Best,

Ricavito
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 00:04:04 -0700 (PDT), Ricavito
> wrote:

>On Sep 30, 1:04*pm, Nicky > wrote:
>

>> I guess polk = the Cypriot "horta" - anything wild? I often eat
>> nettles and lambs' lettuce I pick, but that doesn't sound right?
>>

>Hey Nicky,
>
>Polk sallet is a native plant that I'm pretty sure is endemic to the
>southern U.S. In my former neck of the woods, it grew wild mand was
>considered poor people's food. I used to pick it when I was a kid
>along the fence line in the cow pasture.
>
>Popular wisdom was that it was a sort of medicinal herb, kind of like
>bitter melon, good for the blood, etc. Note it is poke *sallet*, not
>salad, and has to be cooked. If you eat it raw it'll make you sick.
>My mom would cook it until it rolled over and died.
>
>Years ago I tried to grow some in California, but the seeds (it makes
>berries) didn't come up. I have since learned that it is a bird gut
>germinator, which explains why it didn't overtake the kudzu back
>home. I was not willing to germinate the seeds myself, so no polk
>sallet for me, LOL.

LOL! Thanks, how interesting!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

no its a specific greem and once you've eaten it you will know it, if not
done right can be downright bitter... but done right is very nice, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 13:46:02 -0500, "Stormmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>its a green and has a very strong flavor, a sort of rougher version of
>>spinach or kale... the song polk salad annie imortalized it... it usually
>>grows wild but you can sometimes get it at farmer's markets... i love
>>every
>>green there is and my grandmother would make wilted greens...
>>
>>you fry bacon and onions, and mixe in a couple of boiled eggs then set
>>that
>>aside you put the greens into the skillet with a little of the bacon
>>grease
>>just to barely heat then pour over the bacon mix and stir, turn off the
>>heat
>>and cover, s/p to taste. Lee

> Heh - thanks, Bill and Lee!
>
> I used that recipe for cavalo nero tonight, as it happens - yum.
>
> I guess polk = the Cypriot "horta" - anything wild? I often eat
> nettles and lambs' lettuce I pick, but that doesn't sound right?
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 150ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

is sometimes available at mexican markets, a staple of southern/soul food...
grandmother made the wilted i spoke of and usually served it as a side to
beans or squirrel, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>> i can't remember, but you seem to like greens is polk on your list? Lee
>> [ . . . ]

> Not readily available (if at all) in Los Angeles. I've never had poke
> salad.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

never heard that, will ask my92 yr old grandmother what she did, don't
remember any berries, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>> its a green and has a very strong flavor, a sort of rougher version of
>> spinach or kale... the song polk salad annie imortalized it... it usually
>> grows wild but you can sometimes get it at farmer's markets... i love
>> every green there is and my grandmother would make wilted greens...
>>
>> you fry bacon and onions, and mixe in a couple of boiled eggs then set
>> that aside you put the greens into the skillet with a little of the bacon
>> grease just to barely heat then pour over the bacon mix and stir, turn
>> off the heat and cover, s/p to taste. Lee

> Poke is highly toxic. A cup of tea, made with one tsp of powdered poke
> root
> will kill you. Recommendation is to boil the leaves three times, in fresh
> water each boil, before using. I think you only have to boil the berries
> twice.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thanks, i do like getting the recipe from someone like you that has tried
it, i think i like the idea of the flour from the cp's, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Ricavito" > wrote in message
On Sep 30, 10:03 am, "Stormmee" > wrote:
> i'll be right over, recipes for all of this please... drooling, Lee
>
> --
> Have a wonderful day

LOL, if you mean the fried veggies Lee, they are basically Indian
pakora. Google "pakora" and you'll find a treasure trove of recipes
which you can adjust it to suit your taste. I would say the one "must
have" is the chickpea flour, and I personally like a much thinner
batter than most recipes call for (less carbs that way too). Bobs Red
Mill makes a good chickpea (aka garbanzo bean or gram flour).

Here's a good recipe to start:
http://www.toomanychefs.net/archives/001910.php

Best,

Ricavito

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

>>> Made this shopping list for my wife and daughter to select from and
>>> work their way through. Did I miss anything? Should I eliminate
>>> anything? Thanks for any thoughts.
>>>
>>> Vegetables that are good for Nick/Dad:
>>> []

>> Why did you turn down the [Bell] peppers and green beans?

> Because I don't much like them.

Okra?

Nick Cramer IanG Asian Cooking 4 05-11-2013 07:17 PM
has anyone seen nick Storrmmee Diabetic 2 10-01-2011 04:00 PM
Good toaster oven for roasting vegetables? Dwayne Hoover General Cooking 21 03-10-2006 03:36 AM
need a nick Ol' Hippie Barbecue 37 22-10-2004 03:40 AM