Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Vegetables that are good for Nick/Dad:

Made this shopping list for my wife and daughter to select from and work
their way through. Did I miss anything? Should I eliminate anything? Thanks
for any thoughts.

Vegetables that are good for Nick/Dad:

Artichokes
asparagus
Avocados
bean sprouts
beet greens
Beets (1/2 cup)
Bell peppers - no thanks
Blackberries
Blueberries
broccoli NO!
Brussels sprouts
cabbage
Cantaloupe (1/2 cup)
cauliflower NO!
celery
Chile peppers - any kind!!!
Collard greens Yeah, baby!
Cranberries
cucumber
eggplant Yeah, baby ! ! !
Garlic - did I say Yeah, baby ! ! !
Ginger
Green onions
Lemons
lettuce (Not Iceberg, please.)
Limes
marrow squash
mushrooms
Mustard greens Yeah, baby!
onions (1/2 cup)
parsley
Parsnips (1/2 cup)
Peas (1/2 cup)
Pumpkin (1/2 cup)
radishes
Raspberries
Red potatoes (1/2 cup)
rhubarb - please cook it!!!
Rutabagas (1/2 cup)
spinach
squash (1/2 cup)
Strawberries
Sweet potatoes (1/2 cup)
Swiss chard
tomatoes (1 cup)
Turnips (1/2 cup)
yellow or green beans - NO!
zucchini

Thanks!
Nick/dad

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Made this shopping list for my wife and daughter to select from and work
> their way through. Did I miss anything? Should I eliminate anything?
> Thanks
> for any thoughts.
>
> Vegetables that are good for Nick/Dad:
>
> Artichokes
> asparagus
> Avocados
> bean sprouts
> beet greens
> Beets (1/2 cup)
> Bell peppers - no thanks
> Blackberries
> Blueberries
> broccoli NO!
> Brussels sprouts
> cabbage
> Cantaloupe (1/2 cup)
> cauliflower NO!
> celery
> Chile peppers - any kind!!!
> Collard greens Yeah, baby!
> Cranberries
> cucumber
> eggplant Yeah, baby ! ! !
> Garlic - did I say Yeah, baby ! ! !
> Ginger
> Green onions
> Lemons
> lettuce (Not Iceberg, please.)
> Limes
> marrow squash
> mushrooms
> Mustard greens Yeah, baby!
> onions (1/2 cup)
> parsley
> Parsnips (1/2 cup)
> Peas (1/2 cup)
> Pumpkin (1/2 cup)
> radishes
> Raspberries
> Red potatoes (1/2 cup)
> rhubarb - please cook it!!!
> Rutabagas (1/2 cup)
> spinach
> squash (1/2 cup)
> Strawberries
> Sweet potatoes (1/2 cup)
> Swiss chard
> tomatoes (1 cup)
> Turnips (1/2 cup)
> yellow or green beans - NO!
> zucchini
>
> Thanks!
> Nick/dad

Why did you turn down the peppers and green beans?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

looks good to me Snow peas or snap peas are missing

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Made this shopping list for my wife and daughter to select from and
> work their way through. Did I miss anything? Should I eliminate
> anything? Thanks for any thoughts.
>
> Vegetables that are good for Nick/Dad:
>
> Artichokes
> asparagus
> Avocados
> bean sprouts
> beet greens
> Beets (1/2 cup)
> Bell peppers - no thanks
> Blackberries
> Blueberries
> broccoli NO!
> Brussels sprouts
> cabbage
> Cantaloupe (1/2 cup)
> cauliflower NO!
> celery
> Chile peppers - any kind!!!
> Collard greens Yeah, baby!
> Cranberries
> cucumber
> eggplant Yeah, baby ! ! !
> Garlic - did I say Yeah, baby ! ! !
> Ginger
> Green onions
> Lemons
> lettuce (Not Iceberg, please.)
> Limes
> marrow squash
> mushrooms
> Mustard greens Yeah, baby!
> onions (1/2 cup)
> parsley
> Parsnips (1/2 cup)
> Peas (1/2 cup)
> Pumpkin (1/2 cup)
> radishes
> Raspberries
> Red potatoes (1/2 cup)
> rhubarb - please cook it!!!
> Rutabagas (1/2 cup)
> spinach
> squash (1/2 cup)
> Strawberries
> Sweet potatoes (1/2 cup)
> Swiss chard
> tomatoes (1 cup)
> Turnips (1/2 cup)
> yellow or green beans - NO!
> zucchini
>
> Thanks!
> Nick/dad

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> > Made this shopping list for my wife and daughter to select from and
> > work their way through. Did I miss anything? Should I eliminate
> > anything? Thanks for any thoughts.
> >
> > Vegetables that are good for Nick/Dad:
> >[]

> Why did you turn down the [Bell] peppers and green beans?

Because I don't much like them.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> looks good to me Snow peas or snap peas are missing

Thanks Ozgirl. I like both of them and they've been added to the list.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

>> > Made this shopping list for my wife and daughter to select from and
>> > work their way through. Did I miss anything? Should I eliminate
>> > anything? Thanks for any thoughts.
>> >
>> > Vegetables that are good for Nick/Dad:
>> >[]

>> Why did you turn down the [Bell] peppers and green beans?

> Because I don't much like them.

I'll have yours then.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

>> > Made this shopping list for my wife and daughter to select from and
>> > work their way through. Did I miss anything? Should I eliminate
>> > anything? Thanks for any thoughts.
>> >
>> > Vegetables that are good for Nick/Dad:
>> >[]

>> Why did you turn down the [Bell] peppers and green beans?

> Because I don't much like them.
>
> --

Nick, try making the green beans italian style, with garlic, onion and some
canned tomatoes and a bit of olive oil. Simmer till tender. MMMMMM good

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> Made this shopping list for my wife and daughter to select from and work
> their way through. Did I miss anything? Should I eliminate anything? Thanks
> for any thoughts.
>
> Vegetables that are good for Nick/Dad:
>
> Artichokes
> asparagus
> Avocados
> bean sprouts
> beet greens
> Beets (1/2 cup)
> Bell peppers - no thanks
> Blackberries
> Blueberries
> broccoli NO!
> Brussels sprouts
> cabbage
> Cantaloupe (1/2 cup)
> cauliflower NO!
> celery
> Chile peppers - any kind!!!
> Collard greens Yeah, baby!
> Cranberries
> cucumber
> eggplant Yeah, baby ! ! !
> Garlic - did I say Yeah, baby ! ! !
> Ginger
> Green onions
> Lemons
> lettuce (Not Iceberg, please.)
> Limes
> marrow squash
> mushrooms
> Mustard greens Yeah, baby!
> onions (1/2 cup)
> parsley
> Parsnips (1/2 cup)
> Peas (1/2 cup)
> Pumpkin (1/2 cup)
> radishes
> Raspberries
> Red potatoes (1/2 cup)
> rhubarb - please cook it!!!
> Rutabagas (1/2 cup)
> spinach
> squash (1/2 cup)
> Strawberries
> Sweet potatoes (1/2 cup)
> Swiss chard
> tomatoes (1 cup)
> Turnips (1/2 cup)
> yellow or green beans - NO!
> zucchini
>
> Thanks!
> Nick/dad

I'd add Kale.

Bill

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
H. L. Mencken: ³There is always an easy solution to every human problem ‹

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

>>> Why did you turn down the [Bell] peppers and green beans?

>> Because I don't much like them.
>>
>> --

> Nick, try making the green beans italian style, with garlic, onion and
> some canned tomatoes and a bit of olive oil. Simmer till tender.
> MMMMMM good

Why? He doesn't like green beans, and he surely doesn't need them with the
list he's got. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

>>> Because I don't much like them.
>>>
>>> --

>> Nick, try making the green beans italian style, with garlic, onion and
>> some canned tomatoes and a bit of olive oil. Simmer till tender. MMMMMM
>> good

> Why? He doesn't like green beans, and he surely doesn't need them with the
> list he's got. :-)
>
> Cheri

Well, I have found that sometimes not liking a vegetable has to do with a
certain preparation. Last evening I made brussel sprouts for example. I
never used to like them. Now I know how to make them absolutely delicious
and hubby and I both like them a lot. I cut them in half, add water, and
boil till only just tender crisp. Drain. Add butter, salt, pepper, and
the juice of a lemon, and also add a sprinkle of parsley. Toss well, so
all juice and butter coats them well.

I had guests over last night and EVERYONE exclaimed how absolutely delicious
the brussel sprouts were and ate every last one. I had reservations, since
not every one likes them, but they all loved them cooked this way. So
sometimes a vegetable may taste awful to someone, but a little change in
prep and suddenly it is a new favorite.

I know several very different ways of making green beans, and each way is
good, but really different. When I have time, I will post how I make them.
Plain or with garlic and oil is how mostly people eat them. I do them
differently.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 07:12:00 -0400, "Evelyn" >
wrote:

>Nick, try making the green beans italian style, with garlic, onion and some
>canned tomatoes and a bit of olive oil. Simmer till tender. MMMMMM good

Yeah, we like them that way too - I often throw in some
chilli or chilli seeds for a bit of spice.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 28 Sep 2009 06:05:25 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>Made this shopping list for my wife and daughter to select from and work
>their way through. Did I miss anything? Should I eliminate anything? Thanks
>for any thoughts.
>
>Vegetables that are good for Nick/Dad:

Wouldn't it be easier on them to do a NOT list? :P

Can you cope with plums? I love kale, too...

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 07:12:00 -0400, "Evelyn" >
> wrote:
>
>>Nick, try making the green beans italian style, with garlic, onion and
>>some
>>canned tomatoes and a bit of olive oil. Simmer till tender. MMMMMM
>>good

> Yeah, we like them that way too - I often throw in some
> chilli or chilli seeds for a bit of spice.

What I exactly put in is the following;

fresh green beans
1 can stewed tomatoes
abt. a quarter cup of marsala wine
one onion chopped
a couple of garlic cloves chopped
pinch of red pepper flakes
some basil and a tiny bit of oregano
a couple tablespoons of olive oil
salt, black pepper

It comes out so delicious you can't imagine!

*****************

Another recipe, (my grandmothers) is this.

Steam or simmer the beans till tender and drain
Fry some chopped onion in butter in a separate pan.
Add a bit flour to the sauteed onion, add some of water back to the pan and
stir it while heating it to make a sauce.

Add salt, pepper and parsley to that
Add the beans to this sauce, stir, then allow it to stand a bit for the
flavors to meld.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 14:29:11 -0400, "Evelyn" >
wrote:

>Another recipe, (my grandmothers) is this.

I invented another recipe tonight, by accident! I had dry-fried some
bacon steaks, and was in a tearing hurry so had just boiled some green
beans until tender; I'd planned to simply serve them with a bit of
butter. Clumsy here tipped the colander and spilled half of them into
the pan with the bacon, so I gave in and stirred all the beans in for
a second; they picked up the nice crispy bits left in the pan, and
picked up a tiny bit of colour. I had cooked extra so I could add them
to my salad tomorrow, but the leftovers have mysteriously vanished...

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:

> Why? He doesn't like green beans, and he surely doesn't need them
> with the list he's got. :-)
>
> Cheri

When I was a kid I ate almost no vegetables except potato. Sometimes when
mum was preparing beans or peas for the rest of the family I would both raw
but never ever cooked. Eventually did the same with carrots.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:
> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 07:12:00 -0400, "Evelyn" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Nick, try making the green beans italian style, with garlic, onion
>>> and some
>>> canned tomatoes and a bit of olive oil. Simmer till tender. MMMMMM
>>> good

>> Yeah, we like them that way too - I often throw in some
>> chilli or chilli seeds for a bit of spice.
>>

> What I exactly put in is the following;
>
> fresh green beans
> 1 can stewed tomatoes
> abt. a quarter cup of marsala wine
> one onion chopped
> a couple of garlic cloves chopped
> pinch of red pepper flakes
> some basil and a tiny bit of oregano
> a couple tablespoons of olive oil
> salt, black pepper
>
> It comes out so delicious you can't imagine!

Would the red pepper flakes be bell peppers or chili peppers?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 14:29:11 -0400, "Evelyn" >
> wrote:
>
>>Another recipe, (my grandmothers) is this.

> I invented another recipe tonight, by accident! I had dry-fried some
> bacon steaks, and was in a tearing hurry so had just boiled some green
> beans until tender; I'd planned to simply serve them with a bit of
> butter. Clumsy here tipped the colander and spilled half of them into
> the pan with the bacon, so I gave in and stirred all the beans in for
> a second; they picked up the nice crispy bits left in the pan, and
> picked up a tiny bit of colour. I had cooked extra so I could add them
> to my salad tomorrow, but the leftovers have mysteriously vanished...
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 150ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26

I have had green beans with bacon and it is really delicious. I never made
it myself, though.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Evelyn wrote:
>> "Nicky" > wrote in message

>>> Yeah, we like them that way too - I often throw in some
>>> chilli or chilli seeds for a bit of spice.
>>>

>> What I exactly put in is the following;
>>
>> fresh green beans
>> 1 can stewed tomatoes
>> abt. a quarter cup of marsala wine
>> one onion chopped
>> a couple of garlic cloves chopped
>> pinch of red pepper flakes
>> some basil and a tiny bit of oregano
>> a couple tablespoons of olive oil
>> salt, black pepper
>>
>> It comes out so delicious you can't imagine!

> Would the red pepper flakes be bell peppers or chili peppers?

They are hot and spicy.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Cheri wrote:
>
>> Why? He doesn't like green beans, and he surely doesn't need them
>> with the list he's got. :-)
>>
>> Cheri

> When I was a kid I ate almost no vegetables except potato. Sometimes when
> mum was preparing beans or peas for the rest of the family I would both
> raw but never ever cooked. Eventually did the same with carrots.

My mom and my hubby always tried to convince me that sweet potatoes, yams,
etc. were good. Oh, try it with the marshmallows, oh, try it fried, oh,
you'll like them this way. I did not like them, I do not like them, and I'm
not eating them. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Cheri wrote:
>>
>>> Why? He doesn't like green beans, and he surely doesn't need them
>>> with the list he's got. :-)
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> When I was a kid I ate almost no vegetables except potato. Sometimes when
>> mum was preparing beans or peas for the rest of the family I would both
>> raw but never ever cooked. Eventually did the same with carrots.

> My mom and my hubby always tried to convince me that sweet potatoes, yams,
> etc. were good. Oh, try it with the marshmallows, oh, try it fried, oh,
> you'll like them this way. I did not like them, I do not like them, and
> I'm not eating them. :-)
>
> Cheri

I hate them prepared all sugary with marshmallows. Ick.
I like them best with salt, pepper and butter and a little lemon juice.
--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Cheri wrote:
>>
>>> Why? He doesn't like green beans, and he surely doesn't need them
>>> with the list he's got. :-)
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> When I was a kid I ate almost no vegetables except potato. Sometimes
>> when mum was preparing beans or peas for the rest of the family I
>> would both raw but never ever cooked. Eventually did the same with
>> carrots.

> My mom and my hubby always tried to convince me that sweet potatoes,
> yams, etc. were good. Oh, try it with the marshmallows, oh, try it
> fried, oh, you'll like them this way. I did not like them, I do not
> like them, and I'm not eating them. :-)

My favourite way of eating them is to cut them lengthways, leaving the skin
on and baking them. I then add butter and cinnamon sugar on top. Magnifico!

> Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Cheri wrote:
>>
>>> Why? He doesn't like green beans, and he surely doesn't need them
>>> with the list he's got. :-)
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> When I was a kid I ate almost no vegetables except potato. Sometimes
>> when mum was preparing beans or peas for the rest of the family I
>> would both raw but never ever cooked. Eventually did the same with
>> carrots.

> My mom and my hubby always tried to convince me that sweet potatoes,
> yams, etc. were good. Oh, try it with the marshmallows, oh, try it
> fried, oh, you'll like them this way. I did not like them, I do not
> like them, and I'm not eating them. :-)

Oh, the other way is cubed and boiled and used as a cold salad. I steep the
cubes in olive oil, a bit of cider vinegar and some chopped parsley.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 07:12:00 -0400, "Evelyn" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Nick, try making the green beans italian style, with garlic, onion and
>>>some
>>>canned tomatoes and a bit of olive oil. Simmer till tender. MMMMMM
>>>good

>> Yeah, we like them that way too - I often throw in some
>> chilli or chilli seeds for a bit of spice.
>>

> What I exactly put in is the following;
>
> fresh green beans
> 1 can stewed tomatoes
> abt. a quarter cup of marsala wine
> one onion chopped
> a couple of garlic cloves chopped
> pinch of red pepper flakes
> some basil and a tiny bit of oregano
> a couple tablespoons of olive oil
> salt, black pepper
>
> It comes out so delicious you can't imagine!
>
> *****************
>
> Another recipe, (my grandmothers) is this.
>
> Steam or simmer the beans till tender and drain
> Fry some chopped onion in butter in a separate pan.
> Add a bit flour to the sauteed onion, add some of water back to the pan
> and stir it while heating it to make a sauce.
>
> Add salt, pepper and parsley to that
> Add the beans to this sauce, stir, then allow it to stand a bit for the
> flavors to meld.

I love all kinds of green beans, but Angela only likes the canned. I do put
them in almost everything though.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 14:29:11 -0400, "Evelyn" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Another recipe, (my grandmothers) is this.

>> I invented another recipe tonight, by accident! I had dry-fried some
>> bacon steaks, and was in a tearing hurry so had just boiled some green
>> beans until tender; I'd planned to simply serve them with a bit of
>> butter. Clumsy here tipped the colander and spilled half of them into
>> the pan with the bacon, so I gave in and stirred all the beans in for
>> a second; they picked up the nice crispy bits left in the pan, and
>> picked up a tiny bit of colour. I had cooked extra so I could add them
>> to my salad tomorrow, but the leftovers have mysteriously vanished...
>>
>> Nicky.
>> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
>> D&E, 150ug thyroxine
>> Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26

> I have had green beans with bacon and it is really delicious. I never
> made it myself, though.

Mine never come out right. I liked the way my grandma made them and I like
them in restaurants.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:06:12 -0500, BlueBrooke
> > wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 06:45:39 -0700, "Cheri" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>> Why? He doesn't like green beans, and he surely doesn't need them with
>>> the
>>> list he's got. :-)
>>>
>>> Cheri

>>+1 -- He's got an awesome list there. I'm all for trying new things,
>>but there does come a time when you just want dinner -- without the
>>experiments. :-D
>>
>>My mom used to make this zucchini casserole "thing." It was horrible.
>>I don't know why, but it always tasted, to me, like cigarettes! YUCK!
>>Though I've tried and tried, I still can hardly even look at a zuk.
>>But, since I can and do eat about 90% of the other things on that
>>list, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. :-)

> Like cigarettes? Forgive me, but I can't get rid of this picture in my
> mind's eye of a woman leaning over the casserole pot with a smoke
> hanging off her lips as ash drops in the stew...

At the Chinese restaurant where I was served the prawns with the heads still
on, the waitress was smoking a cigarette while she served us. I must have
been 11 or 12 then. I'm 50 now. That restaurant is still there. But now
we have laws against smoking in restaurants.

I have to wonder though about how many people smoked in the kitchens in
those days. I used to smoke, but never around food.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"BlueBrooke" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 08:01:04 +1000, Alan S
> > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:06:12 -0500, BlueBrooke
>> > wrote:

>> >+1 -- He's got an awesome list there. I'm all for trying new things,
>> >but there does come a time when you just want dinner -- without the
>> >experiments. :-D
>> >
>> >My mom used to make this zucchini casserole "thing." It was horrible.
>> >I don't know why, but it always tasted, to me, like cigarettes! YUCK!
>> >Though I've tried and tried, I still can hardly even look at a zuk.
>> >But, since I can and do eat about 90% of the other things on that
>> >list, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. :-)

>> Like cigarettes? Forgive me, but I can't get rid of this picture in my
>> mind's eye of a woman leaning over the casserole pot with a smoke
>> hanging off her lips as ash drops in the stew...

> I know! And that's just what it tasted like! All I can remember
> about it was that it had stewed tomatoes or something in it -- and the
> taste!
>
> Yes, she did smoke, but nothing else coming out of the kitchen tasted
> like that. :-)

We used to dine at the Hibernia Diner in NJ on our way to PA from NY. I
loved their stewed zucchini although the waitress warned me that it was an
acquired taste. I wanted to make it at home but never could find the right
recipe. Oddly, my husband's aunt gave me a recipe box of someone who had
died. I don't know who. Whoever it was, she collected over 200 stewed
zucchini recipes. There were so many variations that I gave up after about
6 failed attempts.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> >> Why did you turn down the [Bell] peppers and green beans?

> > Because I don't much like them.

> Nick, try making the green beans italian style, with garlic, onion and
> some canned tomatoes and a bit of olive oil. Simmer till tender.
> MMMMMM good

Jun's made them like that for me. Not bad. But I still don't much like
them.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> Nick, try making the green beans italian style, with garlic, onion and
>>> some canned tomatoes and a bit of olive oil. Simmer till tender.
>>> MMMMMM good

>> Why? He doesn't like green beans, and he surely doesn't need them with
>> the list he's got. :-)
>>
>> Cheri

> Well, I have found that sometimes not liking a vegetable has to do with a
> certain preparation. Last evening I made brussel sprouts for example.
> I never used to like them. Now I know how to make them absolutely
> delicious and hubby and I both like them a lot. I cut them in half, add
> water, and boil till only just tender crisp. Drain. Add butter, salt,
> pepper, and the juice of a lemon, and also add a sprinkle of parsley.
> Toss well, so all juice and butter coats them well.
>
> I had guests over last night and EVERYONE exclaimed how absolutely
> delicious the brussel sprouts were and ate every last one. I had
> reservations, since not every one likes them, but they all loved them
> cooked this way. So sometimes a vegetable may taste awful to someone,
> but a little change in prep and suddenly it is a new favorite.
>
> I know several very different ways of making green beans, and each way is
> good, but really different. When I have time, I will post how I make
> them. Plain or with garlic and oil is how mostly people eat them. I do
> them differently.
>
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
> boundless heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

I love Brussel Sprouts, never thought to add the lemon juice...I'll have to
try it ...Thanks Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bill > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
> > Made this shopping list for my wife and daughter to select from and
> > work their way through. Did I miss anything? Should I eliminate
> > anything? Thanks for any thoughts.
> >
> > Vegetables that are good for Nick/Dad:
> > []

> I'd add Kale.

That's good, too. Thanks, Bill.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> When I was a kid I ate almost no vegetables except potato. Sometimes
>>> when mum was preparing beans or peas for the rest of the family I would
>>> both raw but never ever cooked. Eventually did the same with carrots.

>> My mom and my hubby always tried to convince me that sweet potatoes,
>> yams, etc. were good. Oh, try it with the marshmallows, oh, try it fried,
>> oh, you'll like them this way. I did not like them, I do not like them,
>> and I'm not eating them. :-)
>>
>> Cheri

> I hate them prepared all sugary with marshmallows. Ick.
> I like them best with salt, pepper and butter and a little lemon juice.
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
> boundless heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

We went to Dinner at a new Grill place the other night...they gave you a
choice of potatoes and one of the choices was Baked Sweet Potatoes, I was
pleasantly surprised, you don't see many places offer them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 14:29:11 -0400, "Evelyn" >
> wrote:
>
>>Another recipe, (my grandmothers) is this.

> I invented another recipe tonight, by accident! I had dry-fried some
> bacon steaks, and was in a tearing hurry so had just boiled some green
> beans until tender; I'd planned to simply serve them with a bit of
> butter. Clumsy here tipped the colander and spilled half of them into
> the pan with the bacon, so I gave in and stirred all the beans in for
> a second; they picked up the nice crispy bits left in the pan, and
> picked up a tiny bit of colour. I had cooked extra so I could add them
> to my salad tomorrow, but the leftovers have mysteriously vanished...
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 150ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26

I serve my green beans with crumbled bacon often...it's a favorite in this
house.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
> >Made this shopping list for my wife and daughter to select from and work
> >their way through. Did I miss anything? Should I eliminate anything?
> >Thanks for any thoughts.
> >
> >Vegetables that are good for Nick/Dad:

> Wouldn't it be easier on them to do a NOT list? :P

LMAO Thanks for that, Nicky.

> Can you cope with plums? I love kale, too...

I've added kale to the list. My daughter buys plums. I'll have to try one
and see how it effects my BG. Added to the list with a ?

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> BlueBrooke > wrote:
>> Nice list, Nick!
>>
>> My brother couldn't stand green peppers, but it seemed like my Mom put
>> them into almost everything. He was very imaginative in his ways to
>> hide or dispose of them. But it didn't help that the dog wouldn't eat
>> them, either. :-D
>>[]

> Thanks, Brooke. I just don't like the taste of Bell peppers, broccoli and
> cauliflower. My feelings about stringbeans and beef liver go back to my
> childhood during WW II.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

I'm with you on the Liver Nick. I love Bell Peppers but they don't like me
much especially with this stupid hernia. I can eat cooked Broccoli and
cauliflower, but not raw anymore.
When my kids were little they loved liver, so I would fix them liver and
their Dad and I would have Hamburger patties. The only way I could eat liver
when I was a kids was cut up in small pieces mix in potatoes and peas and
loaded with catsup. My Mother belonged to the "Clean Your Plate Brigade", so
what was put in front of us had to be eaten. When I became a teen I always
made sure one of my friends invited me to their house on liver night...LOL.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Nicky" > wrote in message
> > "Evelyn" > wrote:
> >
> >>Nick, try making the green beans italian style, with garlic, onion and
> >>some
> >>canned tomatoes and a bit of olive oil. Simmer till tender. MMMMMM
> >>good

> > Yeah, we like them that way too - I often throw in some
> > chilli or chilli seeds for a bit of spice.

> What I exactly put in is the following;
> [ . . . ]

Thanks, Evelyn. Both recipes sound like they'd be really good with
something other than stringbeans!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Live with it, Take meds that cut down stomach acid, sleep with the top of
your bed elevated. They don't do surgery on them much more...seems that they
return.

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Jacquie" > wrote:

>> > Thanks, Brooke. I just don't like the taste of Bell peppers, broccoli
>> > and cauliflower. My feelings about stringbeans and beef liver go back
>> > to my childhood during WW II.

>> I'm with you on the Liver Nick. I love Bell Peppers but they don't like
>> me much especially with this stupid hernia. I can eat cooked Broccoli and
>> cauliflower, but not raw anymore.

> Sorry about the hernia, Jacquie. Prognosis?
>
>> [ . . . ]My Mother belonged to the "Clean Your Plate Brigade", so what
>> was put in front of us had to be eaten. []

> The beef liver during WW II was mostly gristle and arteries. There was no
> way to make it palatable! Yes. We all belonged to the "Clean Plate Club."
> Jun doesn't like it, but I still lick my plate. Taught my grandkids to do
> it, too! ;-D
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > BlueBrooke > wrote:
> >> Nice list, Nick!
> >>
> >> My brother couldn't stand green peppers, but it seemed like my Mom put
> >> them into almost everything. He was very imaginative in his ways to
> >> hide or dispose of them. But it didn't help that the dog wouldn't eat
> >> them, either. :-D
> >>[]

> > Thanks, Brooke. I just don't like the taste of Bell peppers, broccoli
> > and cauliflower. My feelings about stringbeans and beef liver go back
> > to my childhood during WW II.

> I'm with you on the Liver Nick. I love Bell Peppers but they don't like
> me much especially with this stupid hernia. I can eat cooked Broccoli and
> cauliflower, but not raw anymore.

Sorry about the hernia, Jacquie. Prognosis?

> [ . . . ]My Mother belonged to the "Clean Your Plate Brigade", so what
> was put in front of us had to be eaten. []

The beef liver during WW II was mostly gristle and arteries. There was no
way to make it palatable! Yes. We all belonged to the "Clean Plate Club."
Jun doesn't like it, but I still lick my plate. Taught my grandkids to do
it, too! ;-D

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Cheri wrote:
>>
>>> Why? He doesn't like green beans, and he surely doesn't need them
>>> with the list he's got. :-)
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> When I was a kid I ate almost no vegetables except potato. Sometimes when
>> mum was preparing beans or peas for the rest of the family I would both
>> raw but never ever cooked. Eventually did the same with carrots.

> My mom and my hubby always tried to convince me that sweet potatoes, yams,
> etc. were good. Oh, try it with the marshmallows, oh, try it fried, oh,
> you'll like them this way. I did not like them, I do not like them, and
> I'm not eating them. :-)

OMG! I think the ones with brown sugar and marshmallows have got to be by
far the worst thing I have ever tasted.

I never liked them, but my SIL's mother made dinner for me one night. When
she heard that I was a vegetarian (I was at the time), she went out of her
way, making dozens of dishes for me. One thing she made was sweet potatoes
in chunks. To be polite, I took a small chunk. It was really good!

I asked her how she made it and she showed me the can. Said she just heated
it up. So I went out and bought a can of the same kind and hated them. I
tried baking them in the oven from scratch after hearing Sally Jesse Raphael
say how wonderful they were. Well, they weren't!

Angela loves sweet potato fries. I can eat one or two of them. They don't
gag me. But I wouldn't go out of my way for them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

>>> My mom and my hubby always tried to convince me that sweet potatoes,
>>> yams, etc. were good. Oh, try it with the marshmallows, oh, try it
>>> fried, oh, you'll like them this way. I did not like them, I do not like
>>> them, and I'm not eating them. :-)
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> I hate them prepared all sugary with marshmallows. Ick.
>> I like them best with salt, pepper and butter and a little lemon juice.
>> --
>>
>> Evelyn
>>
>> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
>> boundless heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8
>>

> We went to Dinner at a new Grill place the other night...they gave you a
> choice of potatoes and one of the choices was Baked Sweet Potatoes, I was
> pleasantly surprised, you don't see many places offer them.

The fries are getting popular here, but I've never seen any other forms
unless it is Thanksgiving.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote:
> Live with it, Take meds that cut down stomach acid, sleep with the top of
> your bed elevated. They don't do surgery on them much more...seems that
> they return.
>
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> [ . . . ]
> > Sorry about the hernia, Jacquie. Prognosis?
> > [ . . . ]

Abdomenal? Femora? Inguinal? Situps?

I had an inguinal hernia about 30 years ago. I now have a fiberglass screen
in my groin. No problem since.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jacquie wrote:

> We went to Dinner at a new Grill place the other night...they gave
> you a choice of potatoes and one of the choices was Baked Sweet
> Potatoes, I was pleasantly surprised, you don't see many places offer
> them.

The only place I have ever seen them in restaurants is Lonestar Steakhouse
here. That's where I grew to like mine that way

Nick Cramer IanG Asian Cooking 4 05-11-2013 07:17 PM
has anyone seen nick Storrmmee Diabetic 2 10-01-2011 04:00 PM
Good toaster oven for roasting vegetables? Dwayne Hoover General Cooking 21 03-10-2006 03:36 AM
need a nick Ol' Hippie Barbecue 37 22-10-2004 03:40 AM