Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default How to make a smallish salad?

Alan S > wrote:
: On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 09:48:05 +1000, "Ozgirl"
: > wrote:

: >>>
: >> I use that trick for cabbage. It helps delay the blackening effect
: >> that can occur on cut edges.
: >
: >When I used to grow my own lettuce I just picked off a few leaves at a time
: >as I needed it.
: >
: Unfortunately the bugs here ate more lettuce than we did so we gave up
: on it. However, we always have silver-beet growing down the back and
: that's how we pick it.

: Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

Alan,
More lanuage confusion.

I recently had some Swiss chard that had bright red or bright yellow
stems, but definitely not the leaves of the beet(beetroot) plant. would
you still call them silver beet , so they woul dbe red silver beet and
yellow silver beet?

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

the number one tip for avoiding waste in fresh vegetab les is to keep a pot
of veg stock going and add the getting to the end of fresh to it, cook and
store, as you add more cook again, eat the soup often and it will naturally
change and thicken as the older ones disintigrate and the newer ones take on
the body of the soup... i love vegetable soup and could eat it every day,
and when you have that little dab of meat left, cut it up and make
veg/insert meat here soup for dinner, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> MaryL wrote:

>>> We don't have that around here (greengrocers that supply paper bags),
>>> but I certainly could try placing them in a paper bag myself instead
>>> of wrapping with paper towels.

>> Shame, as plastic, as you know, makes them sweat and left loose they dry
>> out quickly in the fridge. Still ok for cooking but I eat most of mine
>> raw.
>>

> Yes, I agree. I used to have a *terrible* diet, but I completely changed
> my diet after being diagnoseds T2. Now I eat lots of fruit and especially
> veggies, and almost entirely fresh fruits and veggies. So, I'm always
> interested in finding better ways to keep them fresh (especially since I
> cook only for myself, and it can be difficult to avoid waste).
>
> MaryL

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Stormmee wrote:
> the number one tip for avoiding waste in fresh vegetab les is to keep
> a pot of veg stock going and add the getting to the end of fresh to
> it, cook and store, as you add more cook again, eat the soup often
> and it will naturally change and thicken as the older ones
> disintigrate and the newer ones take on the body of the soup... i
> love vegetable soup and could eat it every day, and when you have
> that little dab of meat left, cut it up and make veg/insert meat here
> soup for dinner, Lee

One of my favourite things is cabbage/vegetable soup. Shredded cabbage (half
green, half purple) is the largest ingredient along with things I can
tolerate like celery, onion, garlic, some carrots, peppers - you get the
drift. Then I add in a couple of large cans of chopped tomatoes in puree.
All boiled up it is highly likely a lot of nutrients are lost but I find a
large bowl of that as a snack does zip to my bg's and is a real filler and a
good source of fibre. I sprinkle FGBP and powdered parmesan over the top
before eating.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Stormmee wrote:
>> the number one tip for avoiding waste in fresh vegetab les is to keep
>> a pot of veg stock going and add the getting to the end of fresh to
>> it, cook and store, as you add more cook again, eat the soup often
>> and it will naturally change and thicken as the older ones
>> disintigrate and the newer ones take on the body of the soup... i
>> love vegetable soup and could eat it every day, and when you have
>> that little dab of meat left, cut it up and make veg/insert meat here
>> soup for dinner, Lee

> One of my favourite things is cabbage/vegetable soup. Shredded cabbage
> (half green, half purple) is the largest ingredient along with things I
> can tolerate like celery, onion, garlic, some carrots, peppers - you get
> the drift. Then I add in a couple of large cans of chopped tomatoes in
> puree. All boiled up it is highly likely a lot of nutrients are lost but I
> find a large bowl of that as a snack does zip to my bg's and is a real
> filler and a good source of fibre. I sprinkle FGBP and powdered parmesan
> over the top before eating.

I have never made cabbage soup, but what you describe sounds pretty good.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Ozgirl" > wrote:

> Stormmee wrote:
> > the number one tip for avoiding waste in fresh vegetab les is to keep
> > a pot of veg stock going and add the getting to the end of fresh to
> > it, cook and store, as you add more cook again, eat the soup often
> > and it will naturally change and thicken as the older ones
> > disintigrate and the newer ones take on the body of the soup... i
> > love vegetable soup and could eat it every day, and when you have
> > that little dab of meat left, cut it up and make veg/insert meat here
> > soup for dinner, Lee

> One of my favourite things is cabbage/vegetable soup. Shredded cabbage (half
> green, half purple) is the largest ingredient along with things I can
> tolerate like celery, onion, garlic, some carrots, peppers - you get the
> drift. Then I add in a couple of large cans of chopped tomatoes in puree.
> All boiled up it is highly likely a lot of nutrients are lost but I find a
> large bowl of that as a snack does zip to my bg's and is a real filler and a
> good source of fibre. I sprinkle FGBP and powdered parmesan over the top
> before eating.

Since it's getting autumnal here, I made my first soup of the season
this weekend. I had a chicken carcass, some green onion that needed to
be used, two carrots, two celery stalks. Once I'd pulled the bones out,
I added 1/4 cup dried white beans (already soaked) and 1/4 cup of
barley. The entire pot will give me at least 5 servings; the one I had
for lunch today had a negligible effect on my blood sugar (96 to 110 1
hr post-prandial).

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

just my kind of food, Lee

--
Have a great day
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Stormmee wrote:
>> the number one tip for avoiding waste in fresh vegetab les is to keep
>> a pot of veg stock going and add the getting to the end of fresh to
>> it, cook and store, as you add more cook again, eat the soup often
>> and it will naturally change and thicken as the older ones
>> disintigrate and the newer ones take on the body of the soup... i
>> love vegetable soup and could eat it every day, and when you have
>> that little dab of meat left, cut it up and make veg/insert meat here
>> soup for dinner, Lee

> One of my favourite things is cabbage/vegetable soup. Shredded cabbage
> (half green, half purple) is the largest ingredient along with things I
> can tolerate like celery, onion, garlic, some carrots, peppers - you get
> the drift. Then I add in a couple of large cans of chopped tomatoes in
> puree. All boiled up it is highly likely a lot of nutrients are lost but I
> find a large bowl of that as a snack does zip to my bg's and is a real
> filler and a good source of fibre. I sprinkle FGBP and powdered parmesan
> over the top before eating.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Stormmee wrote:
>>> the number one tip for avoiding waste in fresh vegetab les is to
>>> keep a pot of veg stock going and add the getting to the end of
>>> fresh to it, cook and store, as you add more cook again, eat the
>>> soup often and it will naturally change and thicken as the older
>>> ones disintigrate and the newer ones take on the body of the
>>> soup... i love vegetable soup and could eat it every day, and when
>>> you have that little dab of meat left, cut it up and make
>>> veg/insert meat here soup for dinner, Lee

>> One of my favourite things is cabbage/vegetable soup. Shredded
>> cabbage (half green, half purple) is the largest ingredient along
>> with things I can tolerate like celery, onion, garlic, some carrots,
>> peppers - you get the drift. Then I add in a couple of large cans of
>> chopped tomatoes in puree. All boiled up it is highly likely a lot
>> of nutrients are lost but I find a large bowl of that as a snack
>> does zip to my bg's and is a real filler and a good source of fibre.
>> I sprinkle FGBP and powdered parmesan over the top before eating.

> I have never made cabbage soup, but what you describe sounds pretty
> good.

Very "comforting" on a cold winter's afternoon. Since I moved to Queensland
though I haven't experienced a cold winter's afternoon yet

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alice Faber wrote:

> Since it's getting autumnal here, I made my first soup of the season
> this weekend. I had a chicken carcass, some green onion that needed to
> be used, two carrots, two celery stalks. Once I'd pulled the bones
> out, I added 1/4 cup dried white beans (already soaked) and 1/4 cup of
> barley. The entire pot will give me at least 5 servings; the one I had
> for lunch today had a negligible effect on my blood sugar (96 to 110 1
> hr post-prandial).

Sounds yummy Alice. My favourite is bacon hocks and lentils cooked in stock
with whatever veggies. Half fill the bowl with the stock/lentils/veggies
then add in some of the cooked meat. FGBP and its good to go!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 09:55:24 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> > wrote:
>
>> Evelyn wrote:

>>> I have never made cabbage soup, but what you describe sounds pretty
>>> good.

>> Very "comforting" on a cold winter's afternoon. Since I moved to
>> Queensland though I haven't experienced a cold winter's afternoon
>> yet
>>

> Last couple of nights were a little chilly...

Didn't make it into the house What I can't feel doesn't exist, lol.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 09:57:18 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> > wrote:
>
>> Alice Faber wrote:
>>>
>>> Since it's getting autumnal here, I made my first soup of the season
>>> this weekend. I had a chicken carcass, some green onion that needed
>>> to be used, two carrots, two celery stalks. Once I'd pulled the
>>> bones out, I added 1/4 cup dried white beans (already soaked) and
>>> 1/4 cup of barley. The entire pot will give me at least 5 servings;
>>> the one I had for lunch today had a negligible effect on my blood
>>> sugar (96 to 110 1 hr post-prandial).

>> Sounds yummy Alice. My favourite is bacon hocks and lentils cooked
>> in stock with whatever veggies. Half fill the bowl with the
>> stock/lentils/veggies then add in some of the cooked meat. FGBP and
>> its good to go!
>>

> I made a batch of the one I just noted on Sunday. I had earlier bought
> the end of a leg of ham on special. I gleaned some nice ham off it and
> then used the bone in the soup, simmering for a few hours in water
> first to create the base stock. At the end I removed the bone and
> gristle. SWMBO doesn't like lumps of meat in her soup so I put them
> in the blender pot with all the other things she doesn't like -
> broccoli, cauli, capsicum - and turned that into a puree before
> combining with the rest.
>
> She loved it:-)
>

> That ham taste

I prefer lumps myself.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> That just reminded me that I also use the celery leaves in my soups.

It's hard to find celery here with many leaves. But I do like them in my
soup.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Stormmee wrote:
>> the number one tip for avoiding waste in fresh vegetab les is to keep
>> a pot of veg stock going and add the getting to the end of fresh to
>> it, cook and store, as you add more cook again, eat the soup often
>> and it will naturally change and thicken as the older ones
>> disintigrate and the newer ones take on the body of the soup... i
>> love vegetable soup and could eat it every day, and when you have
>> that little dab of meat left, cut it up and make veg/insert meat here
>> soup for dinner, Lee

> One of my favourite things is cabbage/vegetable soup. Shredded cabbage
> (half green, half purple) is the largest ingredient along with things I
> can tolerate like celery, onion, garlic, some carrots, peppers - you get
> the drift. Then I add in a couple of large cans of chopped tomatoes in
> puree. All boiled up it is highly likely a lot of nutrients are lost but I
> find a large bowl of that as a snack does zip to my bg's and is a real
> filler and a good source of fibre. I sprinkle FGBP and powdered parmesan
> over the top before eating.

Sounds allot like my Ground Beef, Cabbage, Veggie soup...we love it in the
winter...I make a big pot and freeze meal sized containers of it then on
extra chilly days we have that for supper.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>
>> Stormmee wrote:
>> > the number one tip for avoiding waste in fresh vegetab les is to keep
>> > a pot of veg stock going and add the getting to the end of fresh to
>> > it, cook and store, as you add more cook again, eat the soup often
>> > and it will naturally change and thicken as the older ones
>> > disintigrate and the newer ones take on the body of the soup... i
>> > love vegetable soup and could eat it every day, and when you have
>> > that little dab of meat left, cut it up and make veg/insert meat here
>> > soup for dinner, Lee

>> One of my favourite things is cabbage/vegetable soup. Shredded cabbage
>> (half
>> green, half purple) is the largest ingredient along with things I can
>> tolerate like celery, onion, garlic, some carrots, peppers - you get the
>> drift. Then I add in a couple of large cans of chopped tomatoes in puree.
>> All boiled up it is highly likely a lot of nutrients are lost but I find
>> large bowl of that as a snack does zip to my bg's and is a real filler
>> and a
>> good source of fibre. I sprinkle FGBP and powdered parmesan over the top
>> before eating.

> Since it's getting autumnal here, I made my first soup of the season
> this weekend. I had a chicken carcass, some green onion that needed to
> be used, two carrots, two celery stalks. Once I'd pulled the bones out,
> I added 1/4 cup dried white beans (already soaked) and 1/4 cup of
> barley. The entire pot will give me at least 5 servings; the one I had
> for lunch today had a negligible effect on my blood sugar (96 to 110 1
> hr post-prandial).
>
> --
> "[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
> This, apparently, upsets the fools."
> ---BB cuts to the pith of a flame-fest

Sounds good. Was 102F(38.9C) here today...We're waiting for Fall...nights
are getting cooler, that's a good sign

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Alan S wrote:
>> On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 09:57:18 +1000, "Ozgirl"
>> > wrote:

>>> Sounds yummy Alice. My favourite is bacon hocks and lentils cooked
>>> in stock with whatever veggies. Half fill the bowl with the
>>> stock/lentils/veggies then add in some of the cooked meat. FGBP and
>>> its good to go!
>>>

>> I made a batch of the one I just noted on Sunday. I had earlier bought
>> the end of a leg of ham on special. I gleaned some nice ham off it and
>> then used the bone in the soup, simmering for a few hours in water
>> first to create the base stock. At the end I removed the bone and
>> gristle. SWMBO doesn't like lumps of meat in her soup so I put them
>> in the blender pot with all the other things she doesn't like -
>> broccoli, cauli, capsicum - and turned that into a puree before
>> combining with the rest.
>>
>> She loved it:-)
>>

>> That ham taste

> I prefer lumps myself.

Me too...something to chew on

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jacquie wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Stormmee wrote:
>>> the number one tip for avoiding waste in fresh vegetab les is to
>>> keep a pot of veg stock going and add the getting to the end of
>>> fresh to it, cook and store, as you add more cook again, eat the
>>> soup often and it will naturally change and thicken as the older
>>> ones disintigrate and the newer ones take on the body of the
>>> soup... i love vegetable soup and could eat it every day, and when
>>> you have that little dab of meat left, cut it up and make
>>> veg/insert meat here soup for dinner, Lee

>> One of my favourite things is cabbage/vegetable soup. Shredded
>> cabbage (half green, half purple) is the largest ingredient along
>> with things I can tolerate like celery, onion, garlic, some carrots,
>> peppers - you get the drift. Then I add in a couple of large cans of
>> chopped tomatoes in puree. All boiled up it is highly likely a lot
>> of nutrients are lost but I find a large bowl of that as a snack
>> does zip to my bg's and is a real filler and a good source of fibre.
>> I sprinkle FGBP and powdered parmesan over the top before eating.
>>

> Sounds allot like my Ground Beef, Cabbage, Veggie soup...we love it
> in the winter...I make a big pot and freeze meal sized containers of
> it then on extra chilly days we have that for supper.

That would have been good at my old place. The kitchen was always freezing
cold so it was good to be able to just heat something up rather than stand
in the kitchen for long periods.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S > wrote:
: On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 10:57:26 +1000, "Ozgirl"
: > wrote:

: >Alan S wrote:
: >> On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 09:57:18 +1000, "Ozgirl"
: >> > wrote:
: >>
: >>> Alice Faber wrote:
: >>>>
[...]

: So do I.

: But in my soup, not on me after she beats me up...

: Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

I a lways make lumpy soup. Even if i wnt a thick soup I only squoosh-up
half and leave the reat lumps.

I love soup season as I make a giant pot and then don't have to cook for
days. Same with stews. Neither syd nor I mind aving he same home made
stuff for several days. I may sometimes vary it by sticking in a
frankfurter or two, which is alwasy good.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl > wrote:
: >>
: >>
: > I do too, I use the whole celery stock. Sometimes I will chop up a
: > turnip and throw it in. (the purple and white..don't know what you
: > guys down under call it )

: Turnips or swedes. Geez, I need to change the filters on Google. I just
: googled "swede" in images and got a page of very blonde women... you can
: imagine what I mean...

Swedes are usualy called rutabegas or turnips hhere in the US. plain
turnips, the kind with the purple bottoms and white uppers are smaler,
like beets or onions and very low carb with a much less stromg flavor than
the big yellow turnips-swedes,rutabegas. I have never liked the rutabegas
and find their flavor too dominating in a soup.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

the rutas are better in a pork stew, use pork, carrots, rutas, green peas
and rice flour to thicken, celery and onion are also nice, i make this in
the crock pot for winter days. Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Ozgirl > wrote:
> : >>
> : >>
> : > I do too, I use the whole celery stock. Sometimes I will chop up a
> : > turnip and throw it in. (the purple and white..don't know what you
> : > guys down under call it )
>
> : Turnips or swedes. Geez, I need to change the filters on Google. I
> just
> : googled "swede" in images and got a page of very blonde women... you can
> : imagine what I mean...
>
> Swedes are usualy called rutabegas or turnips hhere in the US. plain
> turnips, the kind with the purple bottoms and white uppers are smaler,
> like beets or onions and very low carb with a much less stromg flavor than
> the big yellow turnips-swedes,rutabegas. I have never liked the rutabegas
> and find their flavor too dominating in a soup.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

and i forgot the brussels sprouts, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> the rutas are better in a pork stew, use pork, carrots, rutas, green peas
> and rice flour to thicken, celery and onion are also nice, i make this in
> the crock pot for winter days. Lee
>
> --
> Have a wonderful day
>
> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Ozgirl > wrote:
>> : >>
>> : >>
>> : > I do too, I use the whole celery stock. Sometimes I will chop up a
>> : > turnip and throw it in. (the purple and white..don't know what you
>> : > guys down under call it )
>>
>> : Turnips or swedes. Geez, I need to change the filters on Google. I
>> just
>> : googled "swede" in images and got a page of very blonde women... you
>> can
>> : imagine what I mean...
>>
>> Swedes are usualy called rutabegas or turnips hhere in the US. plain
>> turnips, the kind with the purple bottoms and white uppers are smaler,
>> like beets or onions and very low carb with a much less stromg flavor
>> than
>> the big yellow turnips-swedes,rutabegas. I have never liked the
>> rutabegas
>> and find their flavor too dominating in a soup.
>>
>> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Alan S > wrote:
> : On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 10:57:26 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> : > wrote:
>
> : >Alan S wrote:
> : >> On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 09:57:18 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> : >> > wrote:
> : >>
> : >>> Alice Faber wrote:
> : >>>>
> : >>>> Since it's getting autumnal here, I made my first soup of the
> season
> : >>>> this weekend. I had a chicken carcass, some green onion that needed
> : >>>> to be used, two carrots, two celery stalks. Once I'd pulled the
> : >>>> bones out, I added 1/4 cup dried white beans (already soaked) and
> : >>>> 1/4 cup of barley. The entire pot will give me at least 5 servings;
> : >>>> the one I had for lunch today had a negligible effect on my blood
> : >>>> sugar (96 to 110 1 hr post-prandial).
> : >>>
> : >>> Sounds yummy Alice. My favourite is bacon hocks and lentils cooked
> : >>> in stock with whatever veggies. Half fill the bowl with the
> : >>> stock/lentils/veggies then add in some of the cooked meat. FGBP and
> : >>> its good to go!
> : >>>
> : >> I made a batch of the one I just noted on Sunday. I had earlier
> bought
> : >> the end of a leg of ham on special. I gleaned some nice ham off it
> and
> : >> then used the bone in the soup, simmering for a few hours in water
> : >> first to create the base stock. At the end I removed the bone and
> : >> gristle. SWMBO doesn't like lumps of meat in her soup so I put them
> : >> in the blender pot with all the other things she doesn't like -
> : >> broccoli, cauli, capsicum - and turned that into a puree before
> : >> combining with the rest.
> : >>
> : >> She loved it:-)
> : >>
> : >>
> : >>
> : >> That ham taste
> : >
> : >I prefer lumps myself.
> : >
>
> : So do I.
>
> : But in my soup, not on me after she beats me up...
>
> : Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
>
> I a lways make lumpy soup. Even if i wnt a thick soup I only squoosh-up
> half and leave the reat lumps.
>
> I love soup season as I make a giant pot and then don't have to cook for
> days. Same with stews. Neither syd nor I mind aving he same home made
> stuff for several days. I may sometimes vary it by sticking in a
> frankfurter or two, which is alwasy good.
>
> Wendy

My husbands Grandmother lived in a rural area in PA. We visited one Fall and
she made a huge pot of Veggie soup, when we finished eating she put it out
on a table in the screened off porch. Shocked me...I mean I am from the hot
part of the country and everything is refrigerated. It was already in the
mid 30's at night, I guess she had been doing that since she first got
married. We took them out the dinner the next night and left the next
morning , so didn't have to eat the porched soup. I guess it was ok because
I never got a call about them being sick

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Alan S > wrote:
> : On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 10:57:26 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> : > wrote:
>
> : >Alan S wrote:
> : >> On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 09:57:18 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> : >> > wrote:
> : >>
> : >>> Alice Faber wrote:
> : >>>>
> : >>>> Since it's getting autumnal here, I made my first soup of the
> season
> : >>>> this weekend. I had a chicken carcass, some green onion that needed
> : >>>> to be used, two carrots, two celery stalks. Once I'd pulled the
> : >>>> bones out, I added 1/4 cup dried white beans (already soaked) and
> : >>>> 1/4 cup of barley. The entire pot will give me at least 5 servings;
> : >>>> the one I had for lunch today had a negligible effect on my blood
> : >>>> sugar (96 to 110 1 hr post-prandial).
> : >>>
> : >>> Sounds yummy Alice. My favourite is bacon hocks and lentils cooked
> : >>> in stock with whatever veggies. Half fill the bowl with the
> : >>> stock/lentils/veggies then add in some of the cooked meat. FGBP and
> : >>> its good to go!
> : >>>
> : >> I made a batch of the one I just noted on Sunday. I had earlier
> bought
> : >> the end of a leg of ham on special. I gleaned some nice ham off it
> and
> : >> then used the bone in the soup, simmering for a few hours in water
> : >> first to create the base stock. At the end I removed the bone and
> : >> gristle. SWMBO doesn't like lumps of meat in her soup so I put them
> : >> in the blender pot with all the other things she doesn't like -
> : >> broccoli, cauli, capsicum - and turned that into a puree before
> : >> combining with the rest.
> : >>
> : >> She loved it:-)
> : >>
> : >>
> : >>
> : >> That ham taste
> : >
> : >I prefer lumps myself.
> : >
>
> : So do I.
>
> : But in my soup, not on me after she beats me up...
>
> : Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
>
> I a lways make lumpy soup. Even if i wnt a thick soup I only squoosh-up
> half and leave the reat lumps.
>
> I love soup season as I make a giant pot and then don't have to cook for
> days. Same with stews. Neither syd nor I mind aving he same home made
> stuff for several days. I may sometimes vary it by sticking in a
> frankfurter or two, which is alwasy good.
>
> Wendy

A quick way to make a good bean or lentil soup involved using a kilbasy as
the meat. My mom did that once, and it was excellent. It gave a nice
smoky flavor.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> [...]
>>
>> I love soup season as I make a giant pot and then don't have to cook for
>> days. Same with stews. Neither syd nor I mind aving he same home made
>> stuff for several days. I may sometimes vary it by sticking in a
>> frankfurter or two, which is alwasy good.
>>
>> Wendy
>>

> My husbands Grandmother lived in a rural area in PA. We visited one Fall
> and she made a huge pot of Veggie soup, when we finished eating she put it
> out on a table in the screened off porch. Shocked me...I mean I am from
> the hot part of the country and everything is refrigerated. It was already
> in the mid 30's at night, I guess she had been doing that since she first
> got married. We took them out the dinner the next night and left the next
> morning , so didn't have to eat the porched soup. I guess it was ok
> because I never got a call about them being sick

We do that here too. We call it "Natures Refrigerator".... But of course
you need to know that the temperature is cold enough outside and that it is
going to stay cold enough till you decide what to do, freeze or otherwise
store the item.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jacquie > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
[...]

Porch temperatures are often colder thn the fridge, een in the fall. We
ave alreaday ad frost two nights and today's temperature is expected to
rise to aabout 56F. By late October or November tht porch is a great
extra refriderator, unless you are worried aobut the food freezing:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Stormmee" > wrote:

> ohhhh i could tell you a years long saga about choosing a frig, mine had to
> be only a certain height, plus i wanted glass shelves... and a top freezer,
> i have a cat that sneaks into the freezer at every oppertunity, so i knew i
> would have frozen kitty if i got a bottom freezer, Lee

I'm not sure my cats could get a paw into my bottom freezer. It's so
full!

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Jacquie > wrote:
>
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : > I a lways make lumpy soup. Even if i wnt a thick soup I only
> squoosh-up
> : > half and leave the reat lumps.
> : >
> : > I love soup season as I make a giant pot and then don't have to cook
> for
> : > days. Same with stews. Neither syd nor I mind aving he same home made
> : > stuff for several days. I may sometimes vary it by sticking in a
> : > frankfurter or two, which is alwasy good.
> : >
> : > Wendy
> : >
> : My husbands Grandmother lived in a rural area in PA. We visited one Fall
> and
> : she made a huge pot of Veggie soup, when we finished eating she put it
> out
> : on a table in the screened off porch. Shocked me...I mean I am from the
> hot
> : part of the country and everything is refrigerated. It was already in
> the
> : mid 30's at night, I guess she had been doing that since she first got
> : married. We took them out the dinner the next night and left the next
> : morning , so didn't have to eat the porched soup. I guess it was ok
> because
> : I never got a call about them being sick
>
> Porch temperatures are often colder thn the fridge, een in the fall. We
> ave alreaday ad frost two nights and today's temperature is expected to
> rise to aabout 56F. By late October or November tht porch is a great
> extra refriderator, unless you are worried aobut the food freezing:-)
>
> Wendy

Not our Fall...102 yesterday

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article > ,
"Jacquie" > wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > I love soup season as I make a giant pot and then don't have to cook for
> > days. Same with stews. Neither syd nor I mind aving he same home made
> > stuff for several days. I may sometimes vary it by sticking in a
> > frankfurter or two, which is alwasy good.
> >
> > Wendy
> >

> My husbands Grandmother lived in a rural area in PA. We visited one Fall and
> she made a huge pot of Veggie soup, when we finished eating she put it out
> on a table in the screened off porch. Shocked me...I mean I am from the hot
> part of the country and everything is refrigerated. It was already in the
> mid 30's at night, I guess she had been doing that since she first got
> married. We took them out the dinner the next night and left the next
> morning , so didn't have to eat the porched soup. I guess it was ok because
> I never got a call about them being sick

My mother always puts things that are too big for the refrigerator on
the porch in the winter. When she was a kid, relatives in NYC would put
soup on the fire escape. If it's cold enough out, what's the problem?
The only reason I don't do it is that my deck isn't screened, and I've
seen raccoons out there.

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."
---BB cuts to the pith of a flame-fest
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> [...]

>> hot
>> part of the country and everything is refrigerated. It was already in the
>> mid 30's at night, I guess she had been doing that since she first got
>> married. We took them out the dinner the next night and left the next
>> morning , so didn't have to eat the porched soup. I guess it was ok
>> because
>> I never got a call about them being sick

> My mother always puts things that are too big for the refrigerator on
> the porch in the winter. When she was a kid, relatives in NYC would put
> soup on the fire escape. If it's cold enough out, what's the problem?
> The only reason I don't do it is that my deck isn't screened, and I've
> seen raccoons out there.
>
> --
> "[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.

Well to somebody that comes from a desert region it is strange

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> My husbands Grandmother lived in a rural area in PA. We visited one Fall
> and she made a huge pot of Veggie soup, when we finished eating she put it
> out on a table in the screened off porch. Shocked me...I mean I am from
> the hot part of the country and everything is refrigerated. It was already
> in the mid 30's at night, I guess she had been doing that since she first
> got married. We took them out the dinner the next night and left the next
> morning , so didn't have to eat the porched soup. I guess it was ok
> because I never got a call about them being sick

Yep. My husband's relatives do the same. Or some of them anyway. When his
grandma died, people sent over so much food it wouldn't fit in the fridge.
Out to the screened porch it went.

I used to sometimes keep food in the garage. Things like cabbage or carrots
when they wouldn't fit in the fridge. But no more since we got the rat!

One thing that gets me is that people don't know that you need to
refrigerate cooked or cut into fruits and veg. My one SIL left baked
potatoes out on the counter to eat cold the next day. She has also been
known to leave things sitting out for hours at a time or in her fridge for
weeks to months and even years past their expiration date. And she is
always astounded when she gets food poisoning. One of her kids told me it
was safe to drink the milk that I left in my car trunk in 100 degree heat
(it fell out of the shopping bag) overnight so long as it smelled okay.
Yikes!

And someone I was talking to online said they never refrigerate cut into
tomatoes. They just turn them upside down on a plate and leave them on the
counter. I couldn't get them to see that they would deteriorate like that.

One woman I know from the dance studio has in-laws who are from another
country. She said when they came to visit, they offered to cook. They made
a huge pot of soup and just kept it (not heated) on the back burner, adding
to it daily. After that, she was afraid to eat anything they made.

Scary stuff.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alice Faber > wrote:
: > >
[...]

MY brother went to college in Minnesota and they used to keep suff on the
windowills until there ws too much snow. One year whan the snow melted
they found a quarter of a pound of butter frozen solid. It was still ok
to eat. This was in the late 1940s when peole were less aware of freezinf
food.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Jacquie" > wrote in message
: m...

[...]

Julie, you can get a heavy larage plastic storage box and replace the
top with a frame with heavy metal mesh and some screenign on a frame that
fits over the box and weight it with a few big paint cans and store your
cabbage adn carrots, and onions and potatos in that in the winter anad no
rat or mice will get in. I used to do that in margaretville when we used
to come up on long weekends in the winter. I would buy a bushel of
potatoes adn a buushel of onions n, taking bags of them to the city
whenever we came up. they stayed all winter in the unheated basement
which, obviously never froze. We had plenty of country mice adn they
never were able to get in. If we had any left in the spring, they would
grow like crazy in those boxes.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Jacquie" > wrote in message
> : m...
>
> : > My husbands Grandmother lived in a rural area in PA. We visited one
> Fall
> : > and she made a huge pot of Veggie soup, when we finished eating she
> put it
> : > out on a table in the screened off porch. Shocked me...I mean I am
> from
> : > the hot part of the country and everything is refrigerated. It was
> already
> : > in the mid 30's at night, I guess she had been doing that since she
> first
> : > got married. We took them out the dinner the next night and left the
> next
> : > morning , so didn't have to eat the porched soup. I guess it was ok
> : > because I never got a call about them being sick
>
> : Yep. My husband's relatives do the same. Or some of them anyway. When
> his
> : grandma died, people sent over so much food it wouldn't fit in the
> fridge.
> : Out to the screened porch it went.
>
> : I used to sometimes keep food in the garage. Things like cabbage or
> carrots
> : when they wouldn't fit in the fridge. But no more since we got the rat!
>
> Julie, you can get a heavy larage plastic storage box and replace the
> top with a frame with heavy metal mesh and some screenign on a frame that
> fits over the box and weight it with a few big paint cans and store your
> cabbage adn carrots, and onions and potatos in that in the winter anad no
> rat or mice will get in. I used to do that in margaretville when we used
> to come up on long weekends in the winter. I would buy a bushel of
> potatoes adn a buushel of onions n, taking bags of them to the city
> whenever we came up. they stayed all winter in the unheated basement
> which, obviously never froze. We had plenty of country mice adn they
> never were able to get in. If we had any left in the spring, they would
> grow like crazy in those boxes.

I have potato and onion bins in the house. I don't buy cabbage any more and
only buy the baby carrots. They need to be refrigerated. So no need now.
But when I was getting the box each week (I no longer am), I couldn't always
fit all the stuff in the fridge.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Alice Faber > wrote:
> : > >
> : > > I love soup season as I make a giant pot and then don't have to cook
> for
> : > > days. Same with stews. Neither syd nor I mind aving he same home
> made
> : > > stuff for several days. I may sometimes vary it by sticking in a
> : > > frankfurter or two, which is alwasy good.
> : > >
> : > > Wendy
> : > >
> : > My husbands Grandmother lived in a rural area in PA. We visited one
> Fall and
> : > she made a huge pot of Veggie soup, when we finished eating she put it
> out
> : > on a table in the screened off porch. Shocked me...I mean I am from
> the hot
> : > part of the country and everything is refrigerated. It was already in
> the
> : > mid 30's at night, I guess she had been doing that since she first got
> : > married. We took them out the dinner the next night and left the next
> : > morning , so didn't have to eat the porched soup. I guess it was ok
> because
> : > I never got a call about them being sick
>
> : My mother always puts things that are too big for the refrigerator on
> : the porch in the winter. When she was a kid, relatives in NYC would put
> : soup on the fire escape. If it's cold enough out, what's the problem?
> : The only reason I don't do it is that my deck isn't screened, and I've
> : seen raccoons out there.
>
> MY brother went to college in Minnesota and they used to keep suff on the
> windowills until there ws too much snow. One year whan the snow melted
> they found a quarter of a pound of butter frozen solid. It was still ok
> to eat. This was in the late 1940s when peole were less aware of freezinf
> food.
>
> Wendy

When we lived in England my neighbor tied her daily bottle of milk to a
small rope and put it into the rain barrel. She didn't have a fridge ... She
went to the local post Office(which also sold tin and boxed food.) daily.
The fish Monger delivered food daily as did the bread and milk man...and
they had the Coop truck that came by twice a week. Her husband went shopping
every Saturday on his Bike, in the next larger village...it was about 10
miles away. He worked on our Landlords farm...so usually had potatoes and
strawberries when they were in season. His wife grew vegetables in their
front garden. I really enjoyed knowing my elderly next door neighbors...I
learned allot about the British Country life...in a small village.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

it should have been fine if there weren't any meats in it, and if cool
enough should have been fine as well, My grandmother used a cellar for such
things when i was a child, including head cheese with lard on top and
sourdough starter, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...

> [...]
>>
>> I love soup season as I make a giant pot and then don't have to cook for
>> days. Same with stews. Neither syd nor I mind aving he same home made
>> stuff for several days. I may sometimes vary it by sticking in a
>> frankfurter or two, which is alwasy good.
>>
>> Wendy
>>

> My husbands Grandmother lived in a rural area in PA. We visited one Fall
> and she made a huge pot of Veggie soup, when we finished eating she put it
> out on a table in the screened off porch. Shocked me...I mean I am from
> the hot part of the country and everything is refrigerated. It was already
> in the mid 30's at night, I guess she had been doing that since she first
> got married. We took them out the dinner the next night and left the next
> morning , so didn't have to eat the porched soup. I guess it was ok
> because I never got a call about them being sick

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

, ee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>
>> ohhhh i could tell you a years long saga about choosing a frig, mine had
>> be only a certain height, plus i wanted glass shelves... and a top
>> freezer,
>> i have a cat that sneaks into the freezer at every oppertunity, so i knew
>> would have frozen kitty if i got a bottom freezer, Lee

> I'm not sure my cats could get a paw into my bottom freezer. It's so
> full!
>
> PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

a few years back we had an ice storm, had to buy a generator it went on so
long, the second day i had everything from the frig on the patio in coolers
and we went to the next town over for pizza, when we finished dinner DH set
the box on the coolers to keep it... a while later he looked out onto the
patio and freaked thinking our cat had gotten out, it was eating the
pizza... when he opened the door the cat bolted, and of course our yellow
cat was on his food buffett eating, the stranger kitty had cleaned the pizza
of all cheese and sauce leaving just the crust... i broke it up and threw it
onto the snow for the squirrels and birds... it was too funny, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

> [...]

>> hot
>> part of the country and everything is refrigerated. It was already in the
>> mid 30's at night, I guess she had been doing that since she first got
>> married. We took them out the dinner the next night and left the next
>> morning , so didn't have to eat the porched soup. I guess it was ok
>> because
>> I never got a call about them being sick

> My mother always puts things that are too big for the refrigerator on
> the porch in the winter. When she was a kid, relatives in NYC would put
> soup on the fire escape. If it's cold enough out, what's the problem?
> The only reason I don't do it is that my deck isn't screened, and I've
> seen raccoons out there.
>
> --
> "[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> what kind of cooler box do you have? Lee

Lee it is just a typical Thermos brand like they sell everywhere in the
summer. It is just a big one that we have occasionally used for parties,
and so now we just leave it out on the deck. It becomes a perfect place to
put food temporarily before I store it in the freezer or use it up.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

well duh, that makes sense... Lee, not even sure what i was expecting...
maybe i need a nap

--
Have a wonderful day

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> what kind of cooler box do you have? Lee

> Lee it is just a typical Thermos brand like they sell everywhere in the
> summer. It is just a big one that we have occasionally used for parties,
> and so now we just leave it out on the deck. It becomes a perfect place
> to put food temporarily before I store it in the freezer or use it up.
>

> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a
> boundless heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Stormmee wrote:
> well duh, that makes sense... Lee, not even sure what i was
> expecting... maybe i need a nap

Lol. I keep a 4 litre container under the sink. All used cooking oils go
into that until its full then out it goes in the normal rubbish bin.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Stormmee wrote:
>> well duh, that makes sense... Lee, not even sure what i was
>> expecting... maybe i need a nap

> Lol. I keep a 4 litre container under the sink. All used cooking oils go
> into that until its full then out it goes in the normal rubbish bin.

I don't know what we are supposed to do with cooking oils here. They can't
go in the trash and they can't go down the sink. It did say something about
wiping all grease out of a pan or off of a plate with paper towels and
putting them in the yard waste.

However we are supposed to rinse all recyclables. So what to do with a
bottle of salad dressing? Can't wipe that out with paper towels. So the
oil from there goes down the sink.

I really don't fry things so never have to worry about oils.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Stormmee wrote:
>> well duh, that makes sense... Lee, not even sure what i was
>> expecting... maybe i need a nap

> Lol. I keep a 4 litre container under the sink. All used cooking oils go
> into that until its full then out it goes in the normal rubbish bin.

I use my empty Tide containers, and into the trash with them too.

Cheri