Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default I feel 'trapped' between SUGAR and FAT

I was officially diagnosed as diabetic yesterday and will be taking a
pill for it soon.
But I also have to watch my cholesterol. So I not only have to watch
all starches, which are the one substitute for folks cutting down on
cholesterol. So I feel like any real alternatives are zero. I went to
a nutrition class for diabetes and was going to take all kind of notes
to find out what I could eat...and right em down. But they in the
class ...all I remembered was all starches turn to sugar and all I
could eat was celery.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert of St Louis" > wrote in message
>I was officially diagnosed as diabetic yesterday and will be taking a
> pill for it soon.
> But I also have to watch my cholesterol. So I not only have to watch
> all starches, which are the one substitute for folks cutting down on
> cholesterol. So I feel like any real alternatives are zero. I went to
> a nutrition class for diabetes and was going to take all kind of notes
> to find out what I could eat...and right em down. But they in the
> class ...all I remembered was all starches turn to sugar and all I
> could eat was celery.

Just to let everyone know that Robert is a friend of mine from another
venue, and to introduce him here.

Robert, you need to know that as a diabetic our worst enemy is starches and
that our best friends are fats. If you get your blood glucose under
control and you take the right supplements and treat your diabetes right,
you can get your cholesterol under control too.

--

Evelyn

"Since everything is but an apparition, perfect in being what it is, having
nothing to do with good or bad, acceptance or rejection, one may well burst
into laughter." -Longchenpa

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On May 28, 9:28*am, "Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Robert of St Louis" > wrote in ...
>
> >I was officially diagnosed as diabetic yesterday and will be taking a
> > pill for it soon.
> > But I also have to watch my cholesterol. * So I not only have to watch
> > all starches, which are the one substitute for folks cutting down on
> > cholesterol. *So I feel like any real alternatives are zero. I went to
> > a nutrition class for diabetes and was going to take all kind of notes
> > to find out what I could eat...and right em down. *But they in the
> > class ...all I remembered was all starches turn to sugar and all I
> > could eat was celery.

> Just to let everyone know that Robert is a friend of mine from another
> venue, and to introduce him here.
>
> Robert, you need to know that as a diabetic our worst enemy is starches and
> that our best friends are fats. * If you get your blood glucose under
> control and you take the right supplements and treat your diabetes right,
> you can get your cholesterol under control too.
>
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Since everything is but an apparition, perfect in being what it is, having
> nothing to do with good or bad, acceptance or rejection, one may well burst
> into laughter." * *-Longchenpa

I did find out and googled..that I am going to be taking
metafomin...the part I like it is suppose to protect your heart from
the ravages of diabetes. That is comforting to know and somehow seems
tied in with my cholesteral med
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article
Robert of St Louis > wrote:

> On May 28, 9:28*am, "Evelyn" > wrote:
> > "Robert of St Louis" > wrote in
> >
> > m...
> >
> > >I was officially diagnosed as diabetic yesterday and will be taking a
> > > pill for it soon.
> > > But I also have to watch my cholesterol. * So I not only have to watch
> > > all starches, which are the one substitute for folks cutting down on
> > > cholesterol. *So I feel like any real alternatives are zero. I went to
> > > a nutrition class for diabetes and was going to take all kind of notes
> > > to find out what I could eat...and right em down. *But they in the
> > > class ...all I remembered was all starches turn to sugar and all I
> > > could eat was celery.

> > Just to let everyone know that Robert is a friend of mine from another
> > venue, and to introduce him here.
> >
> > Robert, you need to know that as a diabetic our worst enemy is starches and
> > that our best friends are fats. * If you get your blood glucose under
> > control and you take the right supplements and treat your diabetes right,
> > you can get your cholesterol under control too.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Evelyn
> >
> > "Since everything is but an apparition, perfect in being what it is, having
> > nothing to do with good or bad, acceptance or rejection, one may well burst
> > into laughter." * *-Longchenpa

> I did find out and googled..that I am going to be taking
> metafomin...the part I like it is suppose to protect your heart from
> the ravages of diabetes. That is comforting to know and somehow seems
> tied in with my cholesteral med

Robert, there have been some interesting discussions about metformin on
alt.support.diabetes which I think you should read. Metformin sounds
great on paper, but it does have some issues, and some people can't take
it. I had to go off it because of chronic diarrhea which I developed
even on the extended release.

BTW, welcome! And I agree with Evelyn: starches are your enemy and fat
is your friend, as are fiber and exercise.

PP, T2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On May 28, 9:28 am, "Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Robert of St Louis" > wrote in
>
> >I was officially diagnosed as diabetic yesterday and will be taking a
> > pill for it soon.
> > But I also have to watch my cholesterol. So I not only have to watch
> > all starches, which are the one substitute for folks cutting down on
> > cholesterol. So I feel like any real alternatives are zero. I went to
> > a nutrition class for diabetes and was going to take all kind of notes
> > to find out what I could eat...and right em down. But they in the
> > class ...all I remembered was all starches turn to sugar and all I
> > could eat was celery.

> Just to let everyone know that Robert is a friend of mine from another
> venue, and to introduce him here.
>
> Robert, you need to know that as a diabetic our worst enemy is starches
> and
> that our best friends are fats. If you get your blood glucose under
> control and you take the right supplements and treat your diabetes right,
> you can get your cholesterol under control too.
>
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Since everything is but an apparition, perfect in being what it is,
> having
> nothing to do with good or bad, acceptance or rejection, one may well
> burst
> into laughter." -Longchenpa

I did find out and googled..that I am going to be taking
metafomin...the part I like it is suppose to protect your heart from
the ravages of diabetes. That is comforting to know and somehow seems
tied in with my cholesteral med

******************

Hi Robert,

Metformin is a good drug...... IF you can handle it. In my case I got
sudden attacks of diarrhea from it. Not a good thing if you are out
shopping or whatever. Finally I just had to get another drug to treat my
diabetes. Then the doc put me on Actos. Another problem. Lots of fluid
retention and weight gain. Now I am on a third drug, and it is
injected.... name of the drug is Byetta. So far so good, but it too has
some side effects.

I will echo what Patootie said, and recommend alt.support.diabetes. Lots
of really good and knowledgeable people there. I will keep watch for your
post to introduce you there. They are VERY fierce with trolls, and they
often sneak in with innocent sounding questions, bringing down the wrath of
the guard dogs there. :-)
--

Evelyn

"Since everything is but an apparition, perfect in being what it is, having
nothing to do with good or bad, acceptance or rejection, one may well burst
into laughter." -Longchenpa

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert of St Louis" > wrote in message
>I was officially diagnosed as diabetic yesterday and will be taking a
> pill for it soon.
> But I also have to watch my cholesterol. So I not only have to watch
> all starches, which are the one substitute for folks cutting down on
> cholesterol. So I feel like any real alternatives are zero. I went to
> a nutrition class for diabetes and was going to take all kind of notes
> to find out what I could eat...and right em down. But they in the
> class ...all I remembered was all starches turn to sugar and all I
> could eat was celery.

Welcome Robert, try not to panic, you'll soon know some techniques and foods
that will help you do both. Post often.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On May 28, 12:53*pm, "Cheri" > wrote:
> "Robert of St Louis" > wrote in ...
>
> >I was officially diagnosed as diabetic yesterday and will be taking a
> > pill for it soon.
> > But I also have to watch my cholesterol. * So I not only have to watch
> > all starches, which are the one substitute for folks cutting down on
> > cholesterol. *So I feel like any real alternatives are zero. I went to
> > a nutrition class for diabetes and was going to take all kind of notes
> > to find out what I could eat...and right em down. *But they in the
> > class ...all I remembered was all starches turn to sugar and all I
> > could eat was celery.

> Welcome Robert, try not to panic, you'll soon know some techniques and foods
> that will help you do both. Post often.
>
> Cheri

I went to the public library this morning and got 4 diabetic food
books. Here are two of my favorite titles.
COMFORT FOOD FOR DIABETICS and the other is DECADENT DESERT FOR
DIABETICS. I intend to make grocery lists of stuff I MIGHT like
instead of cardboard and syrofoam.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article
: >,
: Robert of St Louis > wrote:

: > On May 28, 9:28?am, "Evelyn" > wrote:
: > > "Robert of St Louis" > wrote in
: > >
: > > m...
: > >
[...]
: > > --
: > >
: > > Evelyn
: >
: > I did find out and googled..that I am going to be taking
: > metafomin...the part I like it is suppose to protect your heart from
: > the ravages of diabetes. That is comforting to know and somehow seems
: > tied in with my cholesteral med

: Robert, there have been some interesting discussions about metformin on
: alt.support.diabetes which I think you should read. Metformin sounds
: great on paper, but it does have some issues, and some people can't take
: it. I had to go off it because of chronic diarrhea which I developed
: even on the extended release.

I have been on metformin, the extended release version, for many years now
and it works well for me. It ay take a whice for your system to get used
to it so your doctor is likely to sart you on a small dose and slowly
increase it until you are at a good dose for you.. Of course, you have to
watch your starches and sugars, but there is lots besides celery you can
enjoy.

: BTW, welcome! And I agree with Evelyn: starches are your enemy and fat
: is your friend, as are fiber and exercise.

: PP, T2

Hay! What about protein? it's a good friend of mine, along with the high
fiber vegeables and plant oils and fats:-)

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On May 28, 9:28 am, "Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Robert of St Louis" > wrote in
>
> >I was officially diagnosed as diabetic yesterday and will be taking a
> > pill for it soon.
> > But I also have to watch my cholesterol. So I not only have to watch
> > all starches, which are the one substitute for folks cutting down on
> > cholesterol. So I feel like any real alternatives are zero. I went to
> > a nutrition class for diabetes and was going to take all kind of notes
> > to find out what I could eat...and right em down. But they in the
> > class ...all I remembered was all starches turn to sugar and all I
> > could eat was celery.

> Just to let everyone know that Robert is a friend of mine from another
> venue, and to introduce him here.
>
> Robert, you need to know that as a diabetic our worst enemy is starches
> and
> that our best friends are fats. If you get your blood glucose under
> control and you take the right supplements and treat your diabetes right,
> you can get your cholesterol under control too.
>
> --
>
> Evelyn
>
> "Since everything is but an apparition, perfect in being what it is,
> having
> nothing to do with good or bad, acceptance or rejection, one may well
> burst
> into laughter." -Longchenpa

I did find out and googled..that I am going to be taking
metafomin...the part I like it is suppose to protect your heart from
the ravages of diabetes. That is comforting to know and somehow seems
tied in with my cholesteral med

Welcome Robert. I have been on Metformin for 10 years now.....Imodium has
become my best friend. I found I cannot tolerate more than 1500 mg a day
without feeling very poorly but can handle the 1500 mg ok. I do much better
on the ER than on the twice a day Metformin. So make sure your Dr starts
you out slowly and stock up on Imodium Te first year I learned to take
Imodium an hour before we planned to go anywhere regardless if I had
Diarrhea or not....because Murphy's law guarantees that as soon as you are
walking the Mall or being seated at a restaurant the attack will happen...so
my motto is be prepared You may be like some and never have an attack
after a few months....I still get them from time to time...so be prepared
Jacquie

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert of St Louis" > wrote in message
>I was officially diagnosed as diabetic yesterday and will be taking a
> pill for it soon.
> But I also have to watch my cholesterol. So I not only have to watch
> all starches, which are the one substitute for folks cutting down on
> cholesterol. So I feel like any real alternatives are zero. I went to
> a nutrition class for diabetes and was going to take all kind of notes
> to find out what I could eat...and right em down. But they in the
> class ...all I remembered was all starches turn to sugar and all I
> could eat was celery.

Newsflash! Fat doesn't raise cholesterol. Excess carbs raise cholesterol.
You do need some carbs. But how many is enough and not too much is
something that varies from person to person.

Try eating protein like meat, cheese, eggs, nuts and seeds and plenty of non
starchy vegetables. Add in starchy things gradually to see how much you can
tolerate.

Beans might be the exception. Yes they are starchy but also high in fiber
(that's good!) and contain protein.

Just remember, the right kind of fat is your friend. What fat is good?
Avocado, olive, and plain coconut oil. Some say canola oil is good. Others
think it is bad.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On May 28, 12:53 pm, "Cheri" > wrote:
> "Robert of St Louis" > wrote in
>
> >I was officially diagnosed as diabetic yesterday and will be taking a
> > pill for it soon.
> > But I also have to watch my cholesterol. So I not only have to watch
> > all starches, which are the one substitute for folks cutting down on
> > cholesterol. So I feel like any real alternatives are zero. I went to
> > a nutrition class for diabetes and was going to take all kind of notes
> > to find out what I could eat...and right em down. But they in the
> > class ...all I remembered was all starches turn to sugar and all I
> > could eat was celery.

> Welcome Robert, try not to panic, you'll soon know some techniques and
> foods
> that will help you do both. Post often.
>
> Cheri

I went to the public library this morning and got 4 diabetic food
books. Here are two of my favorite titles.
COMFORT FOOD FOR DIABETICS and the other is DECADENT DESERT FOR
DIABETICS. I intend to make grocery lists of stuff I MIGHT like
instead of cardboard and syrofoam.

You might think twice before making stuff from those books. Most of them
are not really suitable for diabetics.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert of St Louis" > wrote in message
>I was officially diagnosed as diabetic yesterday and will be taking a
> pill for it soon.
> But I also have to watch my cholesterol. So I not only have to watch
> all starches, which are the one substitute for folks cutting down on
> cholesterol. So I feel like any real alternatives are zero. I went to
> a nutrition class for diabetes and was going to take all kind of notes
> to find out what I could eat...and right em down. But they in the
> class ...all I remembered was all starches turn to sugar and all I
> could eat was celery.

..
Robert of St Louis
---
Remember that the low-carbohydrate diets (low in both sugar and
starch) tend to be more successful in controlling type 2 diabetes
than the low-fat diets often recommended, if you're able to follow
the low-carbohydrate diets properly during the first one to three
months it takes for them to start controlling your appetite.

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/new.php

Your liver will make saturated fats out of any excess carbohydrates.
Your liver also makes cholesterol out of carbohydrates if your
brain signals that it needs more cholesterol (a significant percentage
of your brain IS cholesterol). Therefore, a low-carbohydrate
diet is often more successful at controlling your cholesterol levels
than a low-cholesterol diet.

You could also try a high-protein diet if you're not already too far
into kidney problems. For early kidney problems, try adding a
vitamin called thiamine or vitamin B1:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7796073.stm

Robert Miles