Jennifer

Default REC: Salmon and Cucumber Salad Rolls

Great no cook light summer lunch or appetizer.

Low Sat Fat
AND
Low Carb
What more can you ask?

Great no cook light summer lunch or appetizer.

Low Fat
AND
Low Carb
What more can you ask?

Smoked Salmon and Asian Cucumber Salad Rolls

Recipe courtesy of Gourmet Magazine

Recipe Summary
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: About 40 rolls

For Asian Cucumber Salad:
1 cucumber (preferably English) peeled, seeded if necessary and cut into
2-inch julienne strips
1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
2 teaspoons finely grated, peeled fresh ginger
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted lightly and cooled
1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
A pinch Splenda, if desired
Salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
Toasted white and black sesame seeds for garnish

In a bowl toss cucumber julienne with remaining ingredients and season
with salt and pepper. Chill at least 15 minutes and up to 1 hour.

For the salmon rolls:
12 ounces smoked salmon, sliced paper thin
Asian cucumber salad

Trim the smoked salmon slices to form about 40 strips approximately
2x4-inches each. Lay a bundle of cucumber strips (shake off excess
dressing) at one end and roll up securely. Place seam side down on a
tray, cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to
serve. Garnish with sesame seeds.

Great no cook light summer lunch or appetizer.

Low Fat
AND
Low Carb
What more can you ask?

Yum! I make the same roll but add small shrimp, scallops or strips of
cooked halibut. I have even used a very lightly seasoned chicken strip.
I don't like smoked salmon for some reason but do like it other ways.

Jennifer wrote:
> Great no cook light summer lunch or appetizer.
>
> Low Sat Fat
> AND
> Low Carb
> What more can you ask?
>
> Great no cook light summer lunch or appetizer.
>
> Low Fat
> AND
> Low Carb
> What more can you ask?
>
> Smoked Salmon and Asian Cucumber Salad Rolls
>
> Recipe courtesy of Gourmet Magazine
>
> Recipe Summary
> Prep Time: 30 minutes
> Cook Time: 20 minutes
> Yield: About 40 rolls
>
> For Asian Cucumber Salad:
> 1 cucumber (preferably English) peeled, seeded if necessary and cut into
> 2-inch julienne strips
> 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
> 1/2 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
> 2 teaspoons finely grated, peeled fresh ginger
> 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted lightly and cooled
> 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
> A pinch Splenda, if desired
> Salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
> Toasted white and black sesame seeds for garnish
>
> In a bowl toss cucumber julienne with remaining ingredients and season
> with salt and pepper. Chill at least 15 minutes and up to 1 hour.
>
> For the salmon rolls:
> 12 ounces smoked salmon, sliced paper thin
> Asian cucumber salad
>
> Trim the smoked salmon slices to form about 40 strips approximately
> 2x4-inches each. Lay a bundle of cucumber strips (shake off excess
> dressing) at one end and roll up securely. Place seam side down on a
> tray, cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to
> serve. Garnish with sesame seeds.
>

> Great no cook light summer lunch or appetizer.
>
> Low Fat
> AND
> Low Carb
> What more can you ask?

Sorry about the lack of instruction.
The cucumber is halved and then long slices are done and they are placed
in ice water for about 10 min and dried thoroughly. They are then rolled
up cornucopia style and easily stuffed with just about anything from
tuna salad, ham salad, egg salad or the shrimp, scallops or chicken.
I fasten them with a toothpick and that can be removed prior to serving
so they keep the shape. Make wonderful little snacks.
One can also use Belgian endive as the carrier for the stuffing.
If you have a lot of time you can halve the cucumber and hollow out the
seeds and stuff with the mix of choice and slice into one inch or larger
rounds. Top with a little dill or caviar (if you like it.)
Great fun eating.