Old 28-04-2009, 08:34 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Would you buy produce from Mexico?

I try to buy organic and local when I can. Obviously bananas do not grow
here and for some reason our grapes are mostly from Mexico. I've seen
oranges from Australia.

Because the other two who live here are going camping this week, I opted not
to buy a box of produce. But they need to bring a lunch with them. So I
decided to get tomatoes and lettuce to put on the sandwiches.

The only organic tomatoes this store had were from Mexico. I sort of
thought twice before buying them because of this swine flu thing, but bought
them anyway.

But then someone I was talking to online freaked when I told him and said he
thought I shouldn't eat them.

Would you buy them? Would you eat them?

Old 28-04-2009, 11:51 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
I try to buy organic and local when I can. Obviously bananas do not grow
here and for some reason our grapes are mostly from Mexico. I've seen
oranges from Australia.

Because the other two who live here are going camping this week, I opted
not to buy a box of produce. But they need to bring a lunch with them.
So I decided to get tomatoes and lettuce to put on the sandwiches.

The only organic tomatoes this store had were from Mexico. I sort of
thought twice before buying them because of this swine flu thing, but
bought them anyway.

But then someone I was talking to online freaked when I told him and said
he thought I shouldn't eat them.

Would you buy them? Would you eat them?

Of course I would eat them. I would wash them on the outside first,
though, like usual. That's not how swine flu is spread, from produce. It
is spread from people coughing in the air.
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Old 28-04-2009, 03:19 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

I try to buy organic and local when I can. Obviously bananas do not grow
here and for some reason our grapes are mostly from Mexico. I've seen
oranges from Australia.

Because the other two who live here are going camping this week, I opted not
to buy a box of produce. But they need to bring a lunch with them. So I
decided to get tomatoes and lettuce to put on the sandwiches.

The only organic tomatoes this store had were from Mexico. I sort of
thought twice before buying them because of this swine flu thing, but bought
them anyway.

But then someone I was talking to online freaked when I told him and said he
thought I shouldn't eat them.

Would you buy them? Would you eat them?

Is Swine flu transmitted on produce? I'd thought that it was
transmitted through contact.

I'd wash the tomatoes and then eat them.

PP
Old 28-04-2009, 04:13 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 00:34:11 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

I try to buy organic and local when I can. Obviously bananas do not grow
here and for some reason our grapes are mostly from Mexico. I've seen
oranges from Australia.

Because the other two who live here are going camping this week, I opted
not
to buy a box of produce. But they need to bring a lunch with them. So I
decided to get tomatoes and lettuce to put on the sandwiches.

The only organic tomatoes this store had were from Mexico. I sort of
thought twice before buying them because of this swine flu thing, but
bought
them anyway.

But then someone I was talking to online freaked when I told him and said
he
thought I shouldn't eat them.

Would you buy them? Would you eat them?

I've not seen any reports that imply the virus could be
spread that way. I doubt that it can.

If ever in any doubt about any veges, spray or wipe them
lightly with vinegar, let them sit for a short time and then
rinse well in clean water. If you have any 3% peroxide
repeat that process using peroxide.

It's a trick I learned on my CLL list for those eating a
neutropenic diet.

Okay. Thanks!

Old 28-04-2009, 04:15 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

[...]

I thought so too. But this person was so freaked out about it and kept
saying I shouldn't have bought them to begin with.

Old 28-04-2009, 04:26 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

"Peppermint Patootie" wrote in message
news
Is Swine flu transmitted on produce? I'd thought that it was
transmitted through contact.

I'd wash the tomatoes and then eat them.

I thought so too. But this person was so freaked out about it and kept
saying I shouldn't have bought them to begin with.

Some people don't have the sense they were born with.

PP
Old 28-04-2009, 04:46 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote:

"Peppermint Patootie" wrote in message
news
Is Swine flu transmitted on produce? I'd thought that it was
transmitted through contact.

I'd wash the tomatoes and then eat them.

I thought so too. But this person was so freaked out about it and kept
saying I shouldn't have bought them to begin with.

Some people don't have the sense they were born with.

That's what I thought. This person is a lawyer and seems to be overly
cautious about everything!

Old 28-04-2009, 06:28 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote:

[...]

Julie that person doesn't have a clue. Don't worry. Wash them and use
them as usual. The flu (of any kind) is not transmitted through meat or on
produce. It is transmitted from people sneezing and coughing droplets of
germy spray in the air. That is the same for all kinds of flu.

Old 28-04-2009, 06:29 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote:

"Peppermint Patootie" wrote in message
news Is Swine flu transmitted on produce? I'd thought that it was
transmitted through contact.

I'd wash the tomatoes and then eat them.

I thought so too. But this person was so freaked out about it and kept
saying I shouldn't have bought them to begin with.

Some people don't have the sense they were born with.

That's what I thought. This person is a lawyer and seems to be overly
cautious about everything!

They may be smart about the law, but not about the flu or how it is
transmitted!

Old 28-04-2009, 07:37 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

: "Julie Bove" wrote:
:
[...]

Peope freak out about all kinds of things. Have you noticed that the TV
keeps telling us that you can't get swine flu form eating pork? they do
this because idiots will think everything will be contaminated. that is
why helth officials are so hesitant to send out alerts. All kinds of
nuts strt worrying and filling up emergency rooms and phone lines, etc. I
suppose you should avoid someone whose Grandmother came from Mexico too.
that is the kind of thing that happens when people jump to conclucions.

Wendy-kind of fed up with alarmists
Old 28-04-2009, 08:14 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message

suppose you should avoid someone whose Grandmother came from Mexico too.
that is the kind of thing that happens when people jump to conclucions.

You'd do better to avoid the grandmother right now, than the tomatoes. :-)

Cheri

Old 28-04-2009, 10:12 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message

Peope freak out about all kinds of things. Have you noticed that the TV
keeps telling us that you can't get swine flu form eating pork? they do
this because idiots will think everything will be contaminated. that is
why helth officials are so hesitant to send out alerts. All kinds of
nuts strt worrying and filling up emergency rooms and phone lines, etc. I
suppose you should avoid someone whose Grandmother came from Mexico too.
that is the kind of thing that happens when people jump to conclucions.

Wendy-kind of fed up with alarmists

No I haven't heard anything on TV about swine flu. But then I don't watch
much TV.

Old 28-04-2009, 11:36 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
Peppermint Patootie wrote:

In article ,
"Julie Bove" wrote:

"Peppermint Patootie" wrote in message
news
Is Swine flu transmitted on produce? I'd thought that it was
transmitted through contact.

I'd wash the tomatoes and then eat them.

I thought so too. But this person was so freaked out about it and kept
saying I shouldn't have bought them to begin with.

Some people don't have the sense they were born with.

Assuming facts not in evidence...

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."