Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Evelyn Evelyn is offline

Default Would you buy produce from Mexico?

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article >,
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>
>>> I try to buy organic and local when I can. Obviously bananas do not
>>> grow
>>> here and for some reason our grapes are mostly from Mexico. I've seen
>>> oranges from Australia.
>>>
>>> Because the other two who live here are going camping this week, I opted
>>> not
>>> to buy a box of produce. But they need to bring a lunch with them. So
>>> decided to get tomatoes and lettuce to put on the sandwiches.
>>>
>>> The only organic tomatoes this store had were from Mexico. I sort of
>>> thought twice before buying them because of this swine flu thing, but
>>> bought
>>> them anyway.
>>>
>>> But then someone I was talking to online freaked when I told him and
>>> said he
>>> thought I shouldn't eat them.
>>>
>>> Would you buy them? Would you eat them?

>> Is Swine flu transmitted on produce? I'd thought that it was
>> transmitted through contact.
>>
>> I'd wash the tomatoes and then eat them.

> I thought so too. But this person was so freaked out about it and kept
> saying I shouldn't have bought them to begin with.

Julie that person doesn't have a clue. Don't worry. Wash them and use
them as usual. The flu (of any kind) is not transmitted through meat or on
produce. It is transmitted from people sneezing and coughing droplets of
germy spray in the air. That is the same for all kinds of flu.
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world