Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Almond chicken?

I'm having someone over for dinner Saturday, and I want to make
something new. Don't worry -- I do that a lot. Generally the first
time I make something it's guaranteed to turn out well since I'm paying
attention to the recipe! Then on repeats I get sloppier.

Anyway, I have a lot of almonds -- slivered, sliced, ground, whole, you
name it. I want to make a chicken with almonds stir fry, but I've never
done that before, so I may need some guidance. I do a lot of stir
fries, so I'm not starting from scratch. I'm just trying to figure out
what to put in it besides chicken, almonds (slivered?), chicken stock,
fresh ginger, garlic, a little corn starch, and peanut oil to cook it in.

What would you have in there, too? Scallions?

There will be another dish, probably a dark green vegetable like Chinese
broccoli stir fried, and of course rice (for my dinner partner, although
I'll probably have a little bit). Jasmine tea to drink.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> I'm having someone over for dinner Saturday, and I want to make
> something new. Don't worry -- I do that a lot. Generally the first
> time I make something it's guaranteed to turn out well since I'm paying
> attention to the recipe! Then on repeats I get sloppier.
>
> Anyway, I have a lot of almonds -- slivered, sliced, ground, whole, you
> name it. I want to make a chicken with almonds stir fry, but I've never
> done that before, so I may need some guidance. I do a lot of stir
> fries, so I'm not starting from scratch. I'm just trying to figure out
> what to put in it besides chicken, almonds (slivered?), chicken stock,
> fresh ginger, garlic, a little corn starch, and peanut oil to cook it in.
>
> What would you have in there, too? Scallions?
>
> There will be another dish, probably a dark green vegetable like Chinese
> broccoli stir fried, and of course rice (for my dinner partner, although
> I'll probably have a little bit). Jasmine tea to drink.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Priscilla

Maybe some diagonally sliced celery and a few carrot slices?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
[...]

How about sweet red peppers? It woudladd a different texure and flavor.

Wendy
: Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
> I'm having someone over for dinner Saturday, and I want to make
> something new. Don't worry -- I do that a lot. Generally the first
> time I make something it's guaranteed to turn out well since I'm paying
> attention to the recipe! Then on repeats I get sloppier.
>
> Anyway, I have a lot of almonds -- slivered, sliced, ground, whole, you
> name it. I want to make a chicken with almonds stir fry, but I've never
> done that before, so I may need some guidance. I do a lot of stir
> fries, so I'm not starting from scratch. I'm just trying to figure out
> what to put in it besides chicken, almonds (slivered?), chicken stock,
> fresh ginger, garlic, a little corn starch, and peanut oil to cook it in.
>
> What would you have in there, too? Scallions?
>
> There will be another dish, probably a dark green vegetable like Chinese
> broccoli stir fried, and of course rice (for my dinner partner, although
> I'll probably have a little bit). Jasmine tea to drink.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Priscilla

I'm looking at a favorite Chinese cookbook. Their recipe contains ginger
root, green onions, green pepper and bamboo shoots. Personally, I think
a little broccoli would be a nice addition to the stir fry.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Peppermint Patootie wrote:
> > I'm having someone over for dinner Saturday, and I want to make
> > something new. Don't worry -- I do that a lot. Generally the first
> > time I make something it's guaranteed to turn out well since I'm paying
> > attention to the recipe! Then on repeats I get sloppier.
> >
> > Anyway, I have a lot of almonds -- slivered, sliced, ground, whole, you
> > name it. I want to make a chicken with almonds stir fry, but I've never
> > done that before, so I may need some guidance. I do a lot of stir
> > fries, so I'm not starting from scratch. I'm just trying to figure out
> > what to put in it besides chicken, almonds (slivered?), chicken stock,
> > fresh ginger, garlic, a little corn starch, and peanut oil to cook it in.
> >
> > What would you have in there, too? Scallions?
> >
> > There will be another dish, probably a dark green vegetable like Chinese
> > broccoli stir fried, and of course rice (for my dinner partner, although
> > I'll probably have a little bit). Jasmine tea to drink.
> >
> > Ideas?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Priscilla

> I'm looking at a favorite Chinese cookbook. Their recipe contains ginger
> root, green onions, green pepper and bamboo shoots. Personally, I think
> a little broccoli would be a nice addition to the stir fry.

I'm probably doing Chinese broccoli as a separate dish, but scallions,
peppers, and bamboo shoots sound good. I also have most of them on hand!

Thanks.

PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : I'm having someone over for dinner Saturday, and I want to make
> : something new. Don't worry -- I do that a lot. Generally the first
> : time I make something it's guaranteed to turn out well since I'm paying
> : attention to the recipe! Then on repeats I get sloppier.
>
> : Anyway, I have a lot of almonds -- slivered, sliced, ground, whole, you
> : name it. I want to make a chicken with almonds stir fry, but I've never
> : done that before, so I may need some guidance. I do a lot of stir
> : fries, so I'm not starting from scratch. I'm just trying to figure out
> : what to put in it besides chicken, almonds (slivered?), chicken stock,
> : fresh ginger, garlic, a little corn starch, and peanut oil to cook it in.
>
> : What would you have in there, too? Scallions?
>
> : There will be another dish, probably a dark green vegetable like Chinese
> : broccoli stir fried, and of course rice (for my dinner partner, although
> : I'll probably have a little bit). Jasmine tea to drink.
>
> : Ideas?
>
> : Thanks!
>
> How about sweet red peppers? It woudladd a different texure and flavor.
>
> Wendy
> : Priscilla

Yes, I'm thinking them, scallions, and bamboo shoots now.

Thanks!

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Cheri" > wrote:

> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> news
> > I'm having someone over for dinner Saturday, and I want to make
> > something new. Don't worry -- I do that a lot. Generally the first
> > time I make something it's guaranteed to turn out well since I'm paying
> > attention to the recipe! Then on repeats I get sloppier.
> >
> > Anyway, I have a lot of almonds -- slivered, sliced, ground, whole, you
> > name it. I want to make a chicken with almonds stir fry, but I've never
> > done that before, so I may need some guidance. I do a lot of stir
> > fries, so I'm not starting from scratch. I'm just trying to figure out
> > what to put in it besides chicken, almonds (slivered?), chicken stock,
> > fresh ginger, garlic, a little corn starch, and peanut oil to cook it in.
> >
> > What would you have in there, too? Scallions?
> >
> > There will be another dish, probably a dark green vegetable like Chinese
> > broccoli stir fried, and of course rice (for my dinner partner, although
> > I'll probably have a little bit). Jasmine tea to drink.
> >
> > Ideas?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Priscilla

> Maybe some diagonally sliced celery and a few carrot slices?

Interesting. Let me think about those. I like carrots for color, but
I'm going to use some colored peppers. Hmmmm.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> I'm having someone over for dinner Saturday, and I want to make
> something new. Don't worry -- I do that a lot. Generally the first
> time I make something it's guaranteed to turn out well since I'm paying
> attention to the recipe! Then on repeats I get sloppier.
>
> Anyway, I have a lot of almonds -- slivered, sliced, ground, whole, you
> name it. I want to make a chicken with almonds stir fry, but I've never
> done that before, so I may need some guidance. I do a lot of stir
> fries, so I'm not starting from scratch. I'm just trying to figure out
> what to put in it besides chicken, almonds (slivered?), chicken stock,
> fresh ginger, garlic, a little corn starch, and peanut oil to cook it in.
>
> What would you have in there, too? Scallions?
>
> There will be another dish, probably a dark green vegetable like Chinese
> broccoli stir fried, and of course rice (for my dinner partner, although
> I'll probably have a little bit). Jasmine tea to drink.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks!

Sounds like a plan, PP. Some green onion should be good. Maybe some snow
peas. too. If you Google on [stir- fried chicken almondine recipe], check
out BigOven.

BTW Chinese broccoli is the only kind I like. ;-)

families! I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : I'm having someone over for dinner Saturday, and I want to make
> : something new. Don't worry -- I do that a lot. Generally the first
> : time I make something it's guaranteed to turn out well since I'm paying
> : attention to the recipe! Then on repeats I get sloppier.
>
> : Anyway, I have a lot of almonds -- slivered, sliced, ground, whole, you
> : name it. I want to make a chicken with almonds stir fry, but I've
> : never done that before, so I may need some guidance. I do a lot of
> : stir fries, so I'm not starting from scratch. I'm just trying to
> : figure out what to put in it besides chicken, almonds (slivered?),
> : chicken stock, fresh ginger, garlic, a little corn starch, and peanut
> : oil to cook it in.
>
> : What would you have in there, too? Scallions?
>
> : There will be another dish, probably a dark green vegetable like
> : Chinese broccoli stir fried, and of course rice (for my dinner partner,
> : although I'll probably have a little bit). Jasmine tea to drink.
>
> : Ideas?
>
> : Thanks!
>
> How about sweet red peppers? It woudladd a different texure and flavor.

Or Serranos?

families! I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:52:12 -0500, Peppermint Patootie wrote
(in article >):

> I'm having someone over for dinner Saturday, and I want to make
> something new. Don't worry -- I do that a lot. Generally the first
> time I make something it's guaranteed to turn out well since I'm paying
> attention to the recipe! Then on repeats I get sloppier.
>
> Anyway, I have a lot of almonds -- slivered, sliced, ground, whole, you
> name it. I want to make a chicken with almonds stir fry, but I've never
> done that before, so I may need some guidance. I do a lot of stir
> fries, so I'm not starting from scratch. I'm just trying to figure out
> what to put in it besides chicken, almonds (slivered?), chicken stock,
> fresh ginger, garlic, a little corn starch, and peanut oil to cook it in.
>
> What would you have in there, too? Scallions?
>
> There will be another dish, probably a dark green vegetable like Chinese
> broccoli stir fried, and of course rice (for my dinner partner, although
> I'll probably have a little bit). Jasmine tea to drink.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Priscilla

I usually add mushrooms to everything, but especially to chicken.

TaniO

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article nk.net>,
TaniO > wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:52:12 -0500, Peppermint Patootie wrote
> (in article >):
>
> > I'm having someone over for dinner Saturday, and I want to make
> > something new. Don't worry -- I do that a lot. Generally the first
> > time I make something it's guaranteed to turn out well since I'm paying
> > attention to the recipe! Then on repeats I get sloppier.
> >
> > Anyway, I have a lot of almonds -- slivered, sliced, ground, whole, you
> > name it. I want to make a chicken with almonds stir fry, but I've never
> > done that before, so I may need some guidance. I do a lot of stir
> > fries, so I'm not starting from scratch. I'm just trying to figure out
> > what to put in it besides chicken, almonds (slivered?), chicken stock,
> > fresh ginger, garlic, a little corn starch, and peanut oil to cook it in.
> >
> > What would you have in there, too? Scallions?
> >
> > There will be another dish, probably a dark green vegetable like Chinese
> > broccoli stir fried, and of course rice (for my dinner partner, although
> > I'll probably have a little bit). Jasmine tea to drink.
> >
> > Ideas?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Priscilla

> I usually add mushrooms to everything, but especially to chicken.

I often do, too, but this feels like first time around I'm going to
avoid the mushroom texture.

Thanks!

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> "W. Baker" > wrote:
> > Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> > : I'm having someone over for dinner Saturday, and I want to make
> > : something new. Don't worry -- I do that a lot. Generally the first
> > : time I make something it's guaranteed to turn out well since I'm paying
> > : attention to the recipe! Then on repeats I get sloppier.
> >
> > : Anyway, I have a lot of almonds -- slivered, sliced, ground, whole, you
> > : name it. I want to make a chicken with almonds stir fry, but I've
> > : never done that before, so I may need some guidance. I do a lot of
> > : stir fries, so I'm not starting from scratch. I'm just trying to
> > : figure out what to put in it besides chicken, almonds (slivered?),
> > : chicken stock, fresh ginger, garlic, a little corn starch, and peanut
> > : oil to cook it in.
> >
> > : What would you have in there, too? Scallions?
> >
> > : There will be another dish, probably a dark green vegetable like
> > : Chinese broccoli stir fried, and of course rice (for my dinner partner,
> > : although I'll probably have a little bit). Jasmine tea to drink.
> >
> > : Ideas?
> >
> > : Thanks!
> >
> > How about sweet red peppers? It woudladd a different texure and flavor.

> Or Serranos?

What are Serranos? If they're hot (spicy), forget it. I'm looking for
a subtle flavor.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

the best asian flavor to me is broccoli combined with oyster flavor
sauce..<droool>

or snap peas.

KROM

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> I'm having someone over for dinner Saturday, and I want to make
> something new. Don't worry -- I do that a lot. Generally the first
> time I make something it's guaranteed to turn out well since I'm paying
> attention to the recipe! Then on repeats I get sloppier.
>
> Anyway, I have a lot of almonds -- slivered, sliced, ground, whole, you
> name it. I want to make a chicken with almonds stir fry, but I've never
> done that before, so I may need some guidance. I do a lot of stir
> fries, so I'm not starting from scratch. I'm just trying to figure out
> what to put in it besides chicken, almonds (slivered?), chicken stock,
> fresh ginger, garlic, a little corn starch, and peanut oil to cook it in.
>
> What would you have in there, too? Scallions?
>
> There will be another dish, probably a dark green vegetable like Chinese
> broccoli stir fried, and of course rice (for my dinner partner, although
> I'll probably have a little bit). Jasmine tea to drink.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Priscilla

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> > "W. Baker" > wrote:
> > > Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> > > : [ . . . ]
> > > : Anyway, I have a lot of almonds -- slivered, sliced, ground, whole,
> > > : you name it. I want to make a chicken with almonds stir fry, but
> > > : I've never done that before, so I may need some guidance. I do a
> > > : lot of stir fries, so I'm not starting from scratch. I'm just
> > > : trying to figure out what to put in it besides chicken, almonds
> > > : (slivered?), chicken stock, fresh ginger, garlic, a little corn
> > > : starch, and peanut oil to cook it in.
> > >
> > > : What would you have in there, too? Scallions?
> > >
> > > : There will be another dish, probably a dark green vegetable like
> > > : Chinese broccoli stir fried, and of course rice (for my dinner
> > > : partner, although I'll probably have a little bit). Jasmine tea to
> > > : drink.
> > >
> > > : Ideas?
> > >
> > > : Thanks!
> > >
> > > How about sweet red peppers? It woudladd a different texure and
> > > flavor.

> > Or Serranos?

> What are Serranos? If they're hot (spicy), forget it. I'm looking for
> a subtle flavor.

They're a hot (spicy) chile pepper. OK, I'll forget it (this time). ;-)

families! I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "W. Baker" > wrote:
>
>> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
>> : I'm having someone over for dinner Saturday, and I want to make
>> : something new. Don't worry -- I do that a lot. Generally the first
>> : time I make something it's guaranteed to turn out well since I'm paying
>> : attention to the recipe! Then on repeats I get sloppier.
>>
>> : Anyway, I have a lot of almonds -- slivered, sliced, ground, whole, you
>> : name it. I want to make a chicken with almonds stir fry, but I've
>> never
>> : done that before, so I may need some guidance. I do a lot of stir
>> : fries, so I'm not starting from scratch. I'm just trying to figure out
>> : what to put in it besides chicken, almonds (slivered?), chicken stock,
>> : fresh ginger, garlic, a little corn starch, and peanut oil to cook it
>> in.
>>
>> : What would you have in there, too? Scallions?
>>
>> : There will be another dish, probably a dark green vegetable like
>> Chinese
>> : broccoli stir fried, and of course rice (for my dinner partner,
>> although
>> : I'll probably have a little bit). Jasmine tea to drink.
>>
>> : Ideas?
>>
>> : Thanks!
>>
>> How about sweet red peppers? It woudladd a different texure and flavor.
>>
>> Wendy
>> : Priscilla

> Yes, I'm thinking them, scallions, and bamboo shoots now.
>
> Thanks!
>
> PP

How about sliced water chestnuts for crunch, a few fresh bean sprouts and a
few "tree ear" mushrooms?
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Evelyn" > wrote:

> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "W. Baker" > wrote:
> >
> >> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> >> : I'm having someone over for dinner Saturday, and I want to make
> >> : something new. Don't worry -- I do that a lot. Generally the first
> >> : time I make something it's guaranteed to turn out well since I'm paying
> >> : attention to the recipe! Then on repeats I get sloppier.
> >>
> >> : Anyway, I have a lot of almonds -- slivered, sliced, ground, whole, you
> >> : name it. I want to make a chicken with almonds stir fry, but I've
> >> never
> >> : done that before, so I may need some guidance. I do a lot of stir
> >> : fries, so I'm not starting from scratch. I'm just trying to figure out
> >> : what to put in it besides chicken, almonds (slivered?), chicken stock,
> >> : fresh ginger, garlic, a little corn starch, and peanut oil to cook it
> >> in.
> >>
> >> : What would you have in there, too? Scallions?
> >>
> >> : There will be another dish, probably a dark green vegetable like
> >> Chinese
> >> : broccoli stir fried, and of course rice (for my dinner partner,
> >> although
> >> : I'll probably have a little bit). Jasmine tea to drink.
> >>
> >> : Ideas?
> >>
> >> : Thanks!
> >>
> >> How about sweet red peppers? It woudladd a different texure and flavor.
> >>
> >> Wendy
> >> : Priscilla

> > Yes, I'm thinking them, scallions, and bamboo shoots now.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > PP

> How about sliced water chestnuts for crunch, a few fresh bean sprouts and a
> few "tree ear" mushrooms?

Maybe the water chestnuts. Bean sprouts and moo'ers (tree ears) don't
feel right.

Thanks!

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> I'm having someone over for dinner Saturday, and I want to make
> something new. Don't worry -- I do that a lot. Generally the first
> time I make something it's guaranteed to turn out well since I'm paying
> attention to the recipe! Then on repeats I get sloppier.
>
> Anyway, I have a lot of almonds -- slivered, sliced, ground, whole, you
> name it. I want to make a chicken with almonds stir fry, but I've never
> done that before, so I may need some guidance. I do a lot of stir
> fries, so I'm not starting from scratch. I'm just trying to figure out
> what to put in it besides chicken, almonds (slivered?), chicken stock,
> fresh ginger, garlic, a little corn starch, and peanut oil to cook it in.
>
> What would you have in there, too? Scallions?
>
> There will be another dish, probably a dark green vegetable like Chinese
> broccoli stir fried, and of course rice (for my dinner partner, although
> I'll probably have a little bit). Jasmine tea to drink.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Priscilla

My wife makes KILLER good chicken by breading the breasts using spicy pork
rinds (ground in the processor), adding a little garlic, salt, pepper and
everyone (including me) RAVES about it. It's actually BETTER than breaded
chicken.

Wes

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"krom" > wrote:

> the best asian flavor to me is broccoli combined with oyster flavor
> sauce..<droool>

Yes, I like that too, but it's a different dish I'm making.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> "krom" > wrote:
>
> > the best asian flavor to me is broccoli combined with oyster flavor
> > sauce..<droool>

> Yes, I like that too, but it's a different dish I'm making.

Me, too, but Chinese broccoli.

families! I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> > "krom" > wrote:
> >
> > > the best asian flavor to me is broccoli combined with oyster flavor
> > > sauce..<droool>

> > Yes, I like that too, but it's a different dish I'm making.

> Me, too, but Chinese broccoli.

Oh, I see! Yes, Chinese broccoli with oyster sauce (probably) with the
almond chicken. Sorry I misunderstood.

PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> > Peppermint Patootie > wrote:

> > > Yes, I like that too, but it's a different dish I'm making.

> > Me, too, but Chinese broccoli.

> Oh, I see! Yes, Chinese broccoli with oyster sauce (probably) with the
> almond chicken. Sorry I misunderstood.

My comment was more generic. The only broccoli I like is Chinese broccoli!

families! I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer > wrote:

>> > Me, too, but Chinese broccoli.

>> Oh, I see! Yes, Chinese broccoli with oyster sauce (probably) with the
>> almond chicken. Sorry I misunderstood.

> My comment was more generic. The only broccoli I like is Chinese broccoli!

We like broccoli prepared any way. The only broccoli I don't like is
overcooked broccoli, because it gets that cabbagey flavor.

Recently I had breaded and fried broccoli, Italian style. The woman
explained to me that it is blanched first, dipped in egg, then in Italian
flavored breadcrumbs with a bit of romano cheese in the mix, and fried in
olive oil on all sides. It was so delicious you can't imagine.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> Recently I had breaded and fried broccoli, Italian style. The woman
> explained to me that it is blanched first, dipped in egg, then in Italian
> flavored breadcrumbs with a bit of romano cheese in the mix, and fried in
> olive oil on all sides. It was so delicious you can't imagine.

That sounds interesting. I might try it.

families! I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>> [ . . . ]
>> Recently I had breaded and fried broccoli, Italian style. The woman
>> explained to me that it is blanched first, dipped in egg, then in Italian
>> flavored breadcrumbs with a bit of romano cheese in the mix, and fried in
>> olive oil on all sides. It was so delicious you can't imagine.

> That sounds interesting. I might try it.

It is a traditional Italian way of serving broccoli and cauliflower and it
is absolutely delicious.
But with the cauliflower they use flour instead of breadcrumbs.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Evelyn" > wrote:

> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > Peppermint Patootie > wrote:

> >> Oh, I see! Yes, Chinese broccoli with oyster sauce (probably) with the
> >> almond chicken. Sorry I misunderstood.

> > My comment was more generic. The only broccoli I like is Chinese broccoli!

> We like broccoli prepared any way. The only broccoli I don't like is
> overcooked broccoli, because it gets that cabbagey flavor.
>
> Recently I had breaded and fried broccoli, Italian style. The woman
> explained to me that it is blanched first, dipped in egg, then in Italian
> flavored breadcrumbs with a bit of romano cheese in the mix, and fried in
> olive oil on all sides. It was so delicious you can't imagine.

Broccoli's pretty good in tempura, too. Heck, anything's good in
tempura, but the batter's kinda carby.

PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > "Evelyn" > wrote:
> >> [ . . . ]
> >> Recently I had breaded and fried broccoli, Italian style. The woman
> >> explained to me that it is blanched first, dipped in egg, then in
> >> Italian flavored breadcrumbs with a bit of romano cheese in the mix,
> >> and fried in olive oil on all sides. It was so delicious you can't
> >> imagine.

> > That sounds interesting. I might try it.

> It is a traditional Italian way of serving broccoli and cauliflower and
> it is absolutely delicious.
> But with the cauliflower they use flour instead of breadcrumbs.

Thanks for the warning! ;-D

families! I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Evelyn" > wrote:

>> > My comment was more generic. The only broccoli I like is Chinese
>> > broccoli!

>> We like broccoli prepared any way. The only broccoli I don't like is
>> overcooked broccoli, because it gets that cabbagey flavor.
>>
>> Recently I had breaded and fried broccoli, Italian style. The woman
>> explained to me that it is blanched first, dipped in egg, then in Italian
>> flavored breadcrumbs with a bit of romano cheese in the mix, and fried in
>> olive oil on all sides. It was so delicious you can't imagine.

> Broccoli's pretty good in tempura, too. Heck, anything's good in
> tempura, but the batter's kinda carby.
>
> PP

Yes. Only you know how much you can manage to deal with. Some can get
away with a couple of pieces with no problem, for others it might be even
one is too much. A trick to reduce the carbs would be to use more grated
cheese than breadcrumbs. Ground pork rinds might work, or low carb bread
crumbled in a food processor.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> [ . . . ]
> Broccoli's pretty good in tempura, too. Heck, anything's good in
> tempura, but the batter's kinda carby.

Make the tempura kind of thin and dip quickly.

Tempura Batter

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar or Splenda
1/2 teaspoon salt

1 egg
2/3 cup ice water
Yellow food coloring (optional)

Sift together the dry ingredients.

Beat egg slightly and mix with the water and a few drops of the food
coloring, if desired.

Add the dry ingredients. Stir only until mixed; mixture will be slightly
lumpy. Add more ice water if desired.

I like my tempura almost lacey and I don't color it.

families! I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:

> But I also like European broccoli in tempura and Chinese broccoli stir
> fried with beef and garlic with soy sauce. And I like Chinese broccoli
> stir fried with oyster sauce, which is what I'm making for the woman I'm
> dating tonight. Yes, folks, I may be headed back into girlfriend land
> after a very long stay outside of that country! :-)

I hope she likes it and I hope you both have a wonderful meal and evening.

This may sound funny, coming from me: Don't drink too much!

families! I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> [ . . . ]
> > 3. All I see of susan's posts is what others quote. ;-)

> That's too bad. She is one of my favorite posters for the fact she is
> very knowledgeable.

Knowledge and wisdom are a good combination, eh?

families! I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>> [ . . . ]
>> > 3. All I see of susan's posts is what others quote. ;-)

>> That's too bad. She is one of my favorite posters for the fact she is
>> very knowledgeable.

> Knowledge and wisdom are a good combination, eh?

Yes, and Susan usually displays both.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:

: Yes, I love European broccoli steamed then served with butter and lemon
: juice, or cold with mayonnaise.

: But I also like European broccoli in tempura and Chinese broccoli stir
: fried with beef and garlic with soy sauce. And I like Chinese broccoli
: stir fried with oyster sauce, which is what I'm making for the woman I'm
: dating tonight. Yes, folks, I may be headed back into girlfriend land
: after a very long stay outside of that country! :-)

: PP

Dumb question here. what is European broccoli? Is that just the plain
old American variety you get at the supermarket or am I missing something
he-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> > But I also like European broccoli in tempura and Chinese broccoli stir
> > fried with beef and garlic with soy sauce. And I like Chinese broccoli
> > stir fried with oyster sauce, which is what I'm making for the woman I'm
> > dating tonight. Yes, folks, I may be headed back into girlfriend land
> > after a very long stay outside of that country! :-)

> I hope she likes it and I hope you both have a wonderful meal and evening.

Thanks!

> This may sound funny, coming from me: Don't drink too much!

I don't drink at all. Haven't for going on 24 years. ;-)

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Evelyn" > wrote:

> Best of wishes and best of dishes. :-)

LOL Thanks!

Now I have to stop working on this stupid skit for the annual meeting at
church tomorrow and get the dining room cleaned up!

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:

> Another thing that is nice, is a squirt of fresh lemon juice on freshly
> steamed broccoli.

....and a few turns of freshly ground black pepper

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
>
> : Yes, I love European broccoli steamed then served with butter and lemon
> : juice, or cold with mayonnaise.
>
> : But I also like European broccoli in tempura and Chinese broccoli stir
> : fried with beef and garlic with soy sauce. And I like Chinese broccoli
> : stir fried with oyster sauce, which is what I'm making for the woman I'm
> : dating tonight. Yes, folks, I may be headed back into girlfriend land
> : after a very long stay outside of that country! :-)
>
> : PP
>
> Dumb question here. what is European broccoli? Is that just the plain
> old American variety you get at the supermarket or am I missing something
> he-)

I was differentiating "broccoli" from "Chinese broccoli" by adding
"European" to non-Chinese "broccoli."

Capische? ;-)

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "W. Baker" > wrote:
>
>> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
>>
>> : Yes, I love European broccoli steamed then served with butter and lemon
>> : juice, or cold with mayonnaise.
>>
>> : But I also like European broccoli in tempura and Chinese broccoli stir
>> : fried with beef and garlic with soy sauce. And I like Chinese broccoli
>> : stir fried with oyster sauce, which is what I'm making for the woman
>> I'm
>> : dating tonight. Yes, folks, I may be headed back into girlfriend land
>> : after a very long stay outside of that country! :-)
>>
>> : PP
>>
>> Dumb question here. what is European broccoli? Is that just the plain
>> old American variety you get at the supermarket or am I missing something
>> he-)

> I was differentiating "broccoli" from "Chinese broccoli" by adding
> "European" to non-Chinese "broccoli."
>
> Capische? ;-)
>
> PP

Fraid not. What is chinese broccoli? Every time I see broccoli in the
chinese restaurant it is the same broccoli I buy at the store. Are you
speaking of Broccoli rabe? The thin stalks sold in bunches with leaves and
just a few florets? That, as I understand it, is a different vegetable
altogether, though in the same family.
Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Evelyn wrote:
>

>> Another thing that is nice, is a squirt of fresh lemon juice on freshly
>> steamed broccoli.

> ...and a few turns of freshly ground black pepper

Yes!

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 17:27:40 -0500, "Evelyn" >
wrote:

>Fraid not. What is chinese broccoli? Every time I see broccoli in the
>chinese restaurant it is the same broccoli I buy at the store. Are you
>speaking of Broccoli rabe? The thin stalks sold in bunches with leaves and
>just a few florets? That, as I understand it, is a different vegetable
>altogether, though in the same family.
>--

We call that sprouting broccoli, and the tree sort, calabrese. If you
see Trink and I drooling over something called PSB - Purple Sprouting
Broccoli - it's broccoli rabe. He brought me a bunch when he came to
dinner, much better than flowers

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 17:27:40 -0500, "Evelyn" >
> wrote:
>
>>Fraid not. What is chinese broccoli? Every time I see broccoli in the
>>chinese restaurant it is the same broccoli I buy at the store. Are you
>>speaking of Broccoli rabe? The thin stalks sold in bunches with leaves
>>and
>>just a few florets? That, as I understand it, is a different vegetable
>>altogether, though in the same family.
>>--

> We call that sprouting broccoli, and the tree sort, calabrese. If you
> see Trink and I drooling over something called PSB - Purple Sprouting
> Broccoli - it's broccoli rabe. He brought me a bunch when he came to
> dinner, much better than flowers

Yes, it is a wonderful vegetable, but is that what is being referred to when
people here are saying "chinese broccoli?"