Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Almond chicken?

Evelyn wrote:
> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 17:27:40 -0500, "Evelyn" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Fraid not. What is chinese broccoli? Every time I see broccoli
>>> in the chinese restaurant it is the same broccoli I buy at the
>>> store. Are you speaking of Broccoli rabe? The thin stalks sold
>>> in bunches with leaves and
>>> just a few florets? That, as I understand it, is a different
>>> vegetable altogether, though in the same family.
>>> --

>> We call that sprouting broccoli, and the tree sort, calabrese. If you
>> see Trink and I drooling over something called PSB - Purple Sprouting
>> Broccoli - it's broccoli rabe. He brought me a bunch when he came to
>> dinner, much better than flowers

> Yes, it is a wonderful vegetable, but is that what is being referred
> to when people here are saying "chinese broccoli?"

There's a pic he
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/1717...h+oyster+sauce

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article >,
: "W. Baker" > wrote:

: > Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: >
: > : Yes, I love European broccoli steamed then served with butter and lemon
: > : juice, or cold with mayonnaise.
: >
: > : But I also like European broccoli in tempura and Chinese broccoli stir
: > : fried with beef and garlic with soy sauce. And I like Chinese broccoli
: > : stir fried with oyster sauce, which is what I'm making for the woman I'm
: > : dating tonight. Yes, folks, I may be headed back into girlfriend land
: > : after a very long stay outside of that country! :-)
: >
: > : PP
: >
: > Dumb question here. what is European broccoli? Is that just the plain
: > old American variety you get at the supermarket or am I missing something
: > he-)

: I was differentiating "broccoli" from "Chinese broccoli" by adding
: "European" to non-Chinese "broccoli."

: Capische? ;-)

: PP

I kind of imagined that was the case as you are neither Nicky nor Trink:-)

todah rabbah

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

: wrote:

: >Fraid not. What is chinese broccoli? Every time I see broccoli in the
: >chinese restaurant it is the same broccoli I buy at the store. Are you
: >speaking of Broccoli rabe? The thin stalks sold in bunches with leaves and
: >just a few florets? That, as I understand it, is a different vegetable
: >altogether, though in the same family.
: >--

: We call that sprouting broccoli, and the tree sort, calabrese. If you
: see Trink and I drooling over something called PSB - Purple Sprouting
: Broccoli - it's broccoli rabe. He brought me a bunch when he came to
: dinner, much better than flowers

: Nicky.

And they look so nice in the vase while waiting to be eaten:-)

I always wondered what that purple sprouting brocoli you guys keep singing
about.

Wendy- in a kind of fey mood
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> > [ . . . ]
> > I was differentiating "broccoli" from "Chinese broccoli" by adding
> > "European" to non-Chinese "broccoli."
> >
> > Capische? ;-)

> Fraid not. What is chinese broccoli? Every time I see broccoli in the
> chinese restaurant it is the same broccoli I buy at the store. Are you
> speaking of Broccoli rabe? The thin stalks sold in bunches with leaves
> and just a few florets? That, as I understand it, is a different
> vegetable altogether, though in the same family.

Chinese broccoli is a variety of broccoli. You can buy it fresh at Asian
markets. It is definitely not broccoli rabe.

families! I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Evelyn wrote:
>> "Nicky" > wrote in message

>>> We call that sprouting broccoli, and the tree sort, calabrese. If you
>>> see Trink and I drooling over something called PSB - Purple Sprouting
>>> Broccoli - it's broccoli rabe. He brought me a bunch when he came to
>>> dinner, much better than flowers

>> Yes, it is a wonderful vegetable, but is that what is being referred
>> to when people here are saying "chinese broccoli?"

> There's a pic he
> http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/1717...h+oyster+sauce

That does look like what we call Broccoli Rabe. Thanks.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
>> > [ . . . ]
>> > I was differentiating "broccoli" from "Chinese broccoli" by adding
>> > "European" to non-Chinese "broccoli."
>> >
>> > Capische? ;-)

>> Fraid not. What is chinese broccoli? Every time I see broccoli in the
>> chinese restaurant it is the same broccoli I buy at the store. Are you
>> speaking of Broccoli rabe? The thin stalks sold in bunches with leaves
>> and just a few florets? That, as I understand it, is a different
>> vegetable altogether, though in the same family.

> Chinese broccoli is a variety of broccoli. You can buy it fresh at Asian
> markets. It is definitely not broccoli rabe.

Hi Nick,

The photo Ozgirl posted looked a lot like Broccoli Rabe. I guess it is yet
another version of Broccoli, one I have never seen. Thanks.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 06:22:06 -0500, "Evelyn" >
wrote:

>"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>> Chinese broccoli is a variety of broccoli. You can buy it fresh at Asian
>> markets. It is definitely not broccoli rabe.

>Hi Nick,
>
>The photo Ozgirl posted looked a lot like Broccoli Rabe. I guess it is yet
>another version of Broccoli, one I have never seen. Thanks.

Yeah, I thought it was what we were describing, too! Nick, can you
find a pic of chinese broccoli? I'm intrigued now!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Evelyn" > wrote:

> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "W. Baker" > wrote:
> >
> >> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> >>
> >> : Yes, I love European broccoli steamed then served with butter and lemon
> >> : juice, or cold with mayonnaise.
> >>
> >> : But I also like European broccoli in tempura and Chinese broccoli stir
> >> : fried with beef and garlic with soy sauce. And I like Chinese broccoli
> >> : stir fried with oyster sauce, which is what I'm making for the woman
> >> I'm
> >> : dating tonight. Yes, folks, I may be headed back into girlfriend land
> >> : after a very long stay outside of that country! :-)
> >>
> >> : PP
> >>
> >> Dumb question here. what is European broccoli? Is that just the plain
> >> old American variety you get at the supermarket or am I missing something
> >> he-)

> > I was differentiating "broccoli" from "Chinese broccoli" by adding
> > "European" to non-Chinese "broccoli."
> >
> > Capische? ;-)
> >
> > PP

> Fraid not. What is chinese broccoli? Every time I see broccoli in the
> chinese restaurant it is the same broccoli I buy at the store. Are you
> speaking of Broccoli rabe? The thin stalks sold in bunches with leaves and
> just a few florets? That, as I understand it, is a different vegetable
> altogether, though in the same family.

Nope. It's a different critter entirely. That picture that Jan pointed
to is a good one. The stalks are thicker than rabe but not as thick as
European broccoli. There are almost no flowers, but lots of leaves.
Actually there were some actual yellow flowers, not just the buds on
European broccoli, on the stuff I cooked last night.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Evelyn" > wrote:

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> > Evelyn wrote:

> >> Yes, it is a wonderful vegetable, but is that what is being referred
> >> to when people here are saying "chinese broccoli?"

> > There's a pic he
> > http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/1717...h+oyster+sauce

> That does look like what we call Broccoli Rabe. Thanks.

No, much bigger stalks than rabe. Totally different veg.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> In article >,
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
> > Fraid not. What is chinese broccoli? Every time I see broccoli in the
> > chinese restaurant it is the same broccoli I buy at the store. Are you
> > speaking of Broccoli rabe? The thin stalks sold in bunches with leaves
> > and
> > just a few florets? That, as I understand it, is a different vegetable
> > altogether, though in the same family.

> Nope. It's a different critter entirely. That picture that Jan pointed
> to is a good one. The stalks are thicker than rabe but not as thick as
> European broccoli. There are almost no flowers, but lots of leaves.
> Actually there were some actual yellow flowers, not just the buds on
> European broccoli, on the stuff I cooked last night.
>
> PP

Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kai-lan

PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: In article >,
: "Evelyn" > wrote:

: > "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
: > ...
: > > In article >,
: > > "W. Baker" > wrote:
: > >
: > >> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
: > >>
[...]

If you keep your broccoli on the original plant too long you can get
flowers aas the buds open.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : In article >,
> : "Evelyn" > wrote:
>
> : > "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> : > ...
> : > > In article >,
> : > > "W. Baker" > wrote:
> : > >
> : > >> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> : > >>
> : > >> : Yes, I love European broccoli steamed then served with butter and
> : > >> : lemon
> : > >> : juice, or cold with mayonnaise.
> : > >>
> : > >> : But I also like European broccoli in tempura and Chinese broccoli
> : > >> : stir
> : > >> : fried with beef and garlic with soy sauce. And I like Chinese
> : > >> : broccoli
> : > >> : stir fried with oyster sauce, which is what I'm making for the woman
> : > >> I'm
> : > >> : dating tonight. Yes, folks, I may be headed back into girlfriend
> : > >> : land
> : > >> : after a very long stay outside of that country! :-)
> : > >>
> : > >> : PP
> : > >>
> : > >> Dumb question here. what is European broccoli? Is that just the
> : > >> plain
> : > >> old American variety you get at the supermarket or am I missing
> : > >> something
> : > >> he-)
> : > >
> : > > I was differentiating "broccoli" from "Chinese broccoli" by adding
> : > > "European" to non-Chinese "broccoli."
> : > >
> : > > Capische? ;-)
> : > >
> : > > PP
> : >
> : >
> : > Fraid not. What is chinese broccoli? Every time I see broccoli in the
> : > chinese restaurant it is the same broccoli I buy at the store. Are you
> : > speaking of Broccoli rabe? The thin stalks sold in bunches with leaves
> : > and
> : > just a few florets? That, as I understand it, is a different vegetable
> : > altogether, though in the same family.
>
> : Nope. It's a different critter entirely. That picture that Jan pointed
> : to is a good one. The stalks are thicker than rabe but not as thick as
> : European broccoli. There are almost no flowers, but lots of leaves.
> : Actually there were some actual yellow flowers, not just the buds on
> : European broccoli, on the stuff I cooked last night.
>
> : PP
>
> If you keep your broccoli on the original plant too long you can get
> flowers aas the buds open.

Yes, I know, but it's normal in the eating stage of this broccoli, and
there are very few flowers per stalk, as opposed to the European kind,
which is loaded with 'em. I eat choy sum with yellow flowers, too.
http://chinesefood.about.com/library/blphotochoysum.htm

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 14:55:08 -0500, Peppermint Patootie
> wrote:

>Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kai-lan

Huh! Looks very interesting! And I've never seen it before... I spent
the afternoon looking for veg seeds this afternoon, I've chosen two
kinds of sprouting broccoli, and rejected lots of calabrese, but there
was nothing like that! Cool

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Nicky > wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 14:55:08 -0500, Peppermint Patootie
> > wrote:
>
> >Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kai-lan

> Huh! Looks very interesting! And I've never seen it before... I spent
> the afternoon looking for veg seeds this afternoon, I've chosen two
> kinds of sprouting broccoli, and rejected lots of calabrese, but there
> was nothing like that! Cool

Apparently it's also sometimes called Chinese Kale:
http://www.evergreenseeds.com/chinkalgail.html

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Peppermint Patootie > wrote:

> In article >,
> Nicky > wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 14:55:08 -0500, Peppermint Patootie
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kai-lan

> > Huh! Looks very interesting! And I've never seen it before... I spent
> > the afternoon looking for veg seeds this afternoon, I've chosen two
> > kinds of sprouting broccoli, and rejected lots of calabrese, but there
> > was nothing like that! Cool

> Apparently it's also sometimes called Chinese Kale:
> http://www.evergreenseeds.com/chinkalgail.html

Ah! Here's a good page:

http://www.evergreenseeds.com/asveglis.html

It's a long list with pictures!

PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 18:03:10 -0500, Peppermint Patootie
> wrote:

>Ah! Here's a good page:
>
>http://www.evergreenseeds.com/asveglis.html
>
>It's a long list with pictures!

Cool resource - thanks : )

Nicky.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 17:59:48 -0500, Peppermint Patootie
> wrote:

>Apparently it's also sometimes called Chinese Kale:
>http://www.evergreenseeds.com/chinkalgail.html

LOL - just to confuse things - it looks like we call a FOURTH veg
Chinese kale!
http://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/chilt...an/pid/2383540

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
> >"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> >
> >> Chinese broccoli is a variety of broccoli. You can buy it fresh at
> >> Asian markets. It is definitely not broccoli rabe. AFAIK

> >Hi Nick,
> >
> >The photo Ozgirl posted looked a lot like Broccoli Rabe. I guess it is
> >yet another version of Broccoli, one I have never seen. Thanks.

I don't think I've ever had broccoli rabe, as such. Chinese broccoli is
sweeter than 'European' broccoli and the leaves and stems are quite tender.

> Yeah, I thought it was what we were describing, too! Nick, can you
> find a pic of chinese broccoli? I'm intrigued now!

I'll take a pic the next time my Bride buys some and email it to ya. She
and our daughter are down in Chinatown, celebrating Chinese New Year. Haing
S. Ngor, who survived the Killing Fields and acted in the movie of the same
name, was killed in Chinatown one night about 12 years ago, I would guess
by Khmer Rouge (Khmen Dang).

1 AM Jun just got home, to my great relief. I told her I want to take pics
of Chines broccoli the next time she buys it. She said, "OK! OK!" ;-D

families! I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> > "Evelyn" > wrote:
> > > Fraid not. What is chinese broccoli? Every time I see broccoli in
> > > the chinese restaurant it is the same broccoli I buy at the store.
> > > Are you speaking of Broccoli rabe? The thin stalks sold in bunches
> > > with leaves and
> > > just a few florets? That, as I understand it, is a different
> > > vegetable altogether, though in the same family.

> > Nope. It's a different critter entirely. That picture that Jan
> > pointed to is a good one. The stalks are thicker than rabe but not as
> > thick as European broccoli. There are almost no flowers, but lots of
> > leaves. Actually there were some actual yellow flowers, not just the
> > buds on European broccoli, on the stuff I cooked last night.

> Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kai-lan

Chinese also call it gai-lan (Thai name - pak kana).

families! I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
>
> >Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kai-lan

> Huh! Looks very interesting! And I've never seen it before... I spent
> the afternoon looking for veg seeds this afternoon, I've chosen two
> kinds of sprouting broccoli, and rejected lots of calabrese, but there
> was nothing like that! Cool

Ah. Calabresa. The blonde Italians. ;-)

families! I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:06:46 -0500, Susan > wrote:

>Nick's loss, IMNSVHO. ;-)

Yeah... Nick, Susan is a good cook!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote:
> "Susan" > wrote in message
> > Robert Miles wrote:
> >
> >> I don't see any posts from her in this newsgroup now either. Does she
> >> now post from Google Groups? An increasing number of internet
> >> providers are now deleting all posts made through Google Groups,
> >> since most of the spam I now see on newsgroups is posted through
> >> Google Groups. Google Groups seems to block those spammers
> >> from reaching those who read newsgroups through Google Groups,
> >> but is very slow about blocking them from reaching the rest of
> >> Usenet.

> > Someone tell Robert I post through Thunderbird.
> >
> > Nick's loss, IMNSVHO. ;-)

> It would definitely be his loss. :-)

Oh, I feel so deprived. <sob> LMFAO

families! https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran and
Support Our Troops. http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:06:46 -0500, Susan > wrote:
>
> >Nick's loss, IMNSVHO. ;-)

> Yeah... Nick, Susan is a good cook!

That's nice. Thanks, Nicky.