Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Asafoetida

I came across this as an ingredient in an Indian recipe. Has anyone had any
experience with it?

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
|I came across this as an ingredient in an Indian recipe. Has anyone had any
| experience with it?
|
| --
| Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
| I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
| Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
| You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Happy New Year, Nick

A very distinctive spice with a smell that reminds you that the
English word "fetid" derived from asafoetida. Keep it well wrapped
unless you are using it, you will find it powerful and quite unpleasant
by itself but it adds a distinctive touch to some Indian cooking. The
following recipe is similar to one I have made in the past: From
http://www.indian-food-recipe.com/content/view/348/158/
It should be a great way to start a new year.

pavane

Ingredients for Vegetable Khichri:

a.. Basmati rice - 1/2 cup
b.. Red lentils or split mung dal - 1/2 cup
c.. Cauliflower florets - 1 cup
d.. Green Peas - 1/2 cup
e.. Carrots - 1/4 cup chopped
f.. Potatoes - 1/4 cup chopped
g.. Ghee - 2 tablespoon
h.. Asafetida - A pinch
i.. Salt to taste
j.. Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
k.. Coriander powder - 1/2 teaspoon
l.. Cuminpowder -1/2 teaspoon
m.. Red chilli powder - 1/2 teaspoon
n.. Ginger - 1 inch piece
o.. Coriander leaves - A small bunch
Method for Vegetable Khichri:

a.. Mix rice and lentils/dal , wash and soak for 10 minutes.
b.. Boil rice and dal together in 3 cups of water , also add
c.. salt , turmeric , carrots and stir well.
d.. Add peas , cauliflower and turn heat to medium and continue
e.. cooking covered until the rice and lentils are soft, stirring occasionally.
f.. Heat ghee in a pan , put asafetida and fry the ginger for a minute
g.. then add rest of the spices and fry till the spices are little brown.
h.. Mix the above spiced oil in the khichri/khichdi and add 1 tablespoon
i.. of pure ghee on top of the hot Vegetable khichri/khichdi before
j.. serving and garnish with coriander leaves.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer > wrote:
: I came across this as an ingredient in an Indian recipe. Has anyone had any
: experience with it?

: --
: Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!

I have no experience with it, but I do remember that in the old days (19th
Century) people wused ot wear it around the neck to ward off diseases. I
guess its horrid smell was believed to keep the illness at bay.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"pavane" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

[ . . . ]

Thanks, Pavane. Yes. I'm quite familiar with the pungency of the uncooked
spice. I like the recipe, except for the cauliflower. ;-)

What I was really wondering about was its effect on BG, gastroparesis and
such.

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> : I came across this as an ingredient in an Indian recipe. Has anyone had
> : any experience with it?

> I have no experience with it, but I do remember that in the old days
> (19th Century) people wused ot wear it around the neck to ward off
> diseases. I guess its horrid smell was believed to keep the illness at
> bay.

19th Century? Baby sister, you're not THAT old! ;-D

Also reputed to attract wolves! (relax girls - the four legged variety)

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer > wrote:
: "W. Baker" > wrote:
: > Nick Cramer > wrote:
: > : I came across this as an ingredient in an Indian recipe. Has anyone had
: > : any experience with it?

: > I have no experience with it, but I do remember that in the old days
: > (19th Century) people wused ot wear it around the neck to ward off
: > diseases. I guess its horrid smell was believed to keep the illness at
: > bay.

: 19th Century? Baby sister, you're not THAT old! ;-D

: Also reputed to attract wolves! (relax girls - the four legged variety)

: --
: Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!

Nick,

Remember, I was a history teacher so I had read stull about long ago:-)
Actually, my grandfather saw General Sherman in a Memorial Day parade.
He also ws at the opening of the Brooklyn Bridge in 1883 as a boy of 12
sellinb Bolivars, some kind of pastry. He came to the US from the
Russo-Polish,-Ukranian are at the age of 2.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "pavane" > wrote:
>> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> [ . . . ]
>
> Thanks, Pavane. Yes. I'm quite familiar with the pungency of the uncooked
> spice. I like the recipe, except for the cauliflower. ;-)
>
> What I was really wondering about was its effect on BG, gastroparesis and
> such.

..
I did a Google search for:

asafoetida diabetes
asafetida diabetes

http://www.natural-homeremedies.org/...th-asafoetida/

http://www.divineremedies.com/asafetida.htm

http://www.vitaminsdiary.com/herbs/asafoetida.htm

http://organizedwisdom.com/Asafoetida

http://www.rvita.com/539/remedies/wellness/asafoetida/

http://www.home-remedies-guide.com/herbs/asafoetida.htm

<http://chestofbooks.com/health/materia-medica-drugs/Pharmacology-Therapeutics/Zinci-Valeras-Zinci-Valeratis-Zinc-Valerate-U-S-P.html>

<http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/200605/natural.remedies.of.arabia.htm>

other effect on diabetes. Has a laxative effect, which indicates it
might help the gastroparesis. Usually comes from India, which is
not known for providing herbs usually free from adulterants such as
mercury, lead and arsenic.

http://www.fda.gov/consumer/updates/...dic101608.html

Also a search on:

asafetida gastroparesis
asafoetida gastroparesis

http://www.medical-look.com/Digestiv...latulence.html

<http://www.med.cmu.ac.th/hospital/dis/hostpitalformuraly/Chapter14_OK.pdf>

Robert Miles

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > "pavane" > wrote:
> >> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> > [ . . . ]

> I did a Google search for:
>
> asafoetida diabetes
> asafetida diabetes

[]
> Also a search on:
>
> asafetida gastroparesis
> asafoetida gastroparesis

Robert, you are a Master Researcher! I've noticed this for quite a while.

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Robert Miles" > wrote:
>> > [ . . . ]

>> I did a Google search for:
>>
>> asafoetida diabetes
>> asafetida diabetes

> []
>> Also a search on:
>>
>> asafetida gastroparesis
>> asafoetida gastroparesis

> Robert, you are a Master Researcher! I've noticed this for quite a while.
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!

..
Thank you. Now that I'm retired, I've had plenty of time to learn how.

Robert