Dee Randall

Default NG - asafoetida

Can anyone tell me if the ng "rec.food.veg.cooking" is a ng that I have to
do something special to post to. I have no trouble posting to other ng's.
I don't believe I've ever been able to post there.

If anyone from veg.cooking is reading this, here is my recent trial
posting.

I've just recently got rid of all my stapled dried beans and lentils because
they have been on-hand too long (11 years) and I don't want to re-stock.

Excluding dried lentils and beans (I'm now using canned beans), can anyone
give me an idea of recipes using asafoetida that I might look up on the
internet.

I love the taste of asafetida in foods.
Thanks,
Dee

Priscilla Ballou

In article >,
"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if the ng "rec.food.veg.cooking" is a ng that I have to
> do something special to post to. I have no trouble posting to other ng's.
> I don't believe I've ever been able to post there.

I don't see anything unusual about that newsgroup. It appears to be
pretty low traffic, though. Maybe something funky in your newsreader?

Priscilla
--
"You can't welcome someone into a body of Christ and then say only
certain rooms are open." -- dancertm in alt.religion.christian.episcopal

Dee,
rec.food.veg.cooking is a moderated ng. Your post will not show up
until the moderator views and approves it. There are other ngs like
that, but most are unmoderated.

As for recipes, try uk.food+drink.indian as most of the asafoetida
recipes seem to be indian.

Dean G.

AlleyGator

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:
>Excluding dried lentils and beans (I'm now using canned beans), can anyone
>give me an idea of recipes using asafoetida that I might look up on the
>internet.
>
>I love the taste of asafetida in foods.

WAIT, don't leave yet. You actually HAVE asafoetida????? I'm into
ancient Roman Cooking, and I thought this was impossible. Please post
where I can get some, If you don't mind!!! I'm serious, here.
Victor Sack

AlleyGator > wrote:

> WAIT, don't leave yet. You actually HAVE asafoetida????? I'm into
> ancient Roman Cooking, and I thought this was impossible. Please post
> where I can get some, If you don't mind!!! I'm serious, here.

You can surely get it in every single Indian grocery anywhere in the
world and in a lot of well-stocked general Asian ones.

Victor
Hal Laurent

"AlleyGator" > wrote in message

> You actually HAVE asafoetida????? I'm into
> ancient Roman Cooking, and I thought this was impossible. Please post
> where I can get some, If you don't mind!!! I'm serious, here.

Asafoetida can be obtained at most Indian grocers, at least around here.

Hal Laurent
Baltimore

Ariane Jenkins

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 13:36:49 -0600, jmcquown > wrote:

> I always thought asafoetida was a bag of smelly herbs and stuff hung around
> people's necks at the turn of the last century to ward off illness
> (consumption and the like).

What you're describing is called a pomander.

Asafoetida is a common ingredient in Indian cooking sometimes used as a
substitute for garlic, and you can buy it in a lump or in powdered form at
Indian groceries. No sane person would want to hang it around their neck, as
it smells like a powerful case of body odor.

Ariane
--
Dysfunction: The only consistent feature of all your dissatisfying
relationships is you.

jmcquown

Ariane Jenkins wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 13:36:49 -0600, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>>
>> I always thought asafoetida was a bag of smelly herbs and stuff hung
>> around people's necks at the turn of the last century to ward off
>> illness (consumption and the like).

> What you're describing is called a pomander.
>
> Asafoetida is a common ingredient in Indian cooking sometimes
> used as a substitute for garlic, and you can buy it in a lump or in
> powdered form at Indian groceries. No sane person would want to hang
> it around their neck, as it smells like a powerful case of body odor.
>
> Ariane

Perhaps it is, but I found this to back up my reading, at least - and I
don't claim it's true, just what I read - about it:

Attributed Medicinal Properties
Asafoetida is known as an antidote for flatulence and is also prescribed for
respiratory conditions like asthma, bronchitis and whooping cough. Its vile
smell has led to many unusual medical claims, mostly stemming from the
belief that it's foetid odour would act as a deterrent to germs. In several
European countries a small piece of the resin would be tied on a string and
hung around childrens necks to protect from disease. The shock of the
sulfurous smell was once thought to calm hysteria and in the days of the
American Wild West it was included in a mixture with other strong spices as
a cure for alcoholism.

Jill

Dee Randall wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if the ng "rec.food.veg.cooking" is a ng that I

have to
> do something special to post to. I have no trouble posting to other

ng's.
> I don't believe I've ever been able to post there.
>
> If anyone from veg.cooking is reading this, here is my recent trial

> posting.
>
> I've just recently got rid of all my stapled dried beans and lentils

because
> they have been on-hand too long (11 years) and I don't want to

re-stock.

> Excluding dried lentils and beans (I'm now using canned beans), can

anyone
> give me an idea of recipes using asafoetida that I might look up on

the
> internet.
>
> I love the taste of asafetida in foods.
> Thanks,
> Dee

A lot of South Indian and Gujarati vegetarian dishes require
asafoetida. Sambhar, rasam, kootu, poriyal, dhal, kadhi are all recipes
that may require asafoetida depending on the source of the recipe.

- Kamala.

Ariane Jenkins

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:42:05 -0600, jmcquown > wrote:

> Perhaps it is, but I found this to back up my reading, at least - and I
> don't claim it's true, just what I read - about it:
>
> Attributed Medicinal Properties
> Asafoetida is known as an antidote for flatulence and is also prescribed for
> respiratory conditions like asthma, bronchitis and whooping cough. Its vile
> smell has led to many unusual medical claims, mostly stemming from the
> belief that it's foetid odour would act as a deterrent to germs. In several
> European countries a small piece of the resin would be tied on a string and
> hung around childrens necks to protect from disease. The shock of the
> sulfurous smell was once thought to calm hysteria and in the days of the
> American Wild West it was included in a mixture with other strong spices as
> a cure for alcoholism.
>
> Jill

Interesting. I can't imagine wanting anything that smelled like an
unwashed armpit hung around my neck, but people have had a lot of weird ideas
about science and medicine. And still do.

However, the "bag of smelly herbs and stuff" you mentioned is more
closely akin to the concept of a pomander. Unlike asafotida which is _one_
plant substance, a pomander would've been a mixture, enclosed in a bag or
box. I don't know if it was used as recently around the turn of the century,
but during the 1300's people did use it in an effort to ward off the Black
Death. The thinking was that perfumes and other scents would negate the
effects of the evil vapors they believed were causing the disease. Nowadays,
people use them simply because they smell nice.

Ariane
--
Dysfunction: The only consistent feature of all your dissatisfying
relationships is you.
http://www.despair.com/demotivators/dysfunction.html

jmcquown

Ariane Jenkins wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:42:05 -0600, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps it is, but I found this to back up my reading, at least -
>> and I don't claim it's true, just what I read - about it:
>>
>> Attributed Medicinal Properties
>> Asafoetida is known as an antidote for flatulence and is also
>> prescribed for respiratory conditions like asthma, bronchitis and
>> whooping cough. Its vile smell has led to many unusual medical
>> claims, mostly stemming from the belief that it's foetid odour would
>> act as a deterrent to germs. In several European countries a small
>> piece of the resin would be tied on a string and hung around
>> childrens necks to protect from disease. The shock of the sulfurous
>> smell was once thought to calm hysteria and in the days of the
>> American Wild West it was included in a mixture with other strong
>> spices as a cure for alcoholism.
>>
>> Jill

> Interesting. I can't imagine wanting anything that smelled like an
> unwashed armpit hung around my neck, but people have had a lot of
> weird ideas about science and medicine. And still do.
>
> However, the "bag of smelly herbs and stuff" you mentioned is
> more closely akin to the concept of a pomander. Unlike asafotida
> which is _one_ plant substance, a pomander would've been a mixture,
> enclosed in a bag or box. I don't know if it was used as recently
> around the turn of the century, but during the 1300's people did use
> it in an effort to ward off the Black Death. The thinking was that
> perfumes and other scents would negate the effects of the evil vapors
> they believed were causing the disease. Nowadays, people use them
> simply because they smell nice.
>
> Ariane

Yep; pomanders smell *nice* So that wasn't what I was thinking about the
asafoetida bag. I also think pomanders are more like sachets tucked in with
lingerie (think lavender) or hung in a closet to make things smell nice.

Jill

Ariane Jenkins

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:17:25 -0600, jmcquown > wrote:

> Yep; pomanders smell *nice* So that wasn't what I was thinking about the
> asafoetida bag.

The description you found mentioned a piece of asafoetida being tied on a
string (vs. a bag) and it seems rather more obscure of a use than its culinary
usage. The reason I brought up pomanders was because you specifically
mentioned _bags of herbs and other things_ to ward off illness. Maybe you
recalled bits of history about the bubonic plague, and how it related to
nursery rhymes like "Ring around the rosy". It's a fascinating time period.
The medicinal of use of asafoetida sounds similar in purpose, but the actual
practice you described isn't quite the same.

>I also think pomanders are more like sachets tucked in with
> lingerie (think lavender) or hung in a closet to make things smell nice.

Yeah, like sticking an orange with a bunch of cloves and using that
in a closet. They may have done that back in the Middle Ages, but it would've
been a very expensive luxury for most people. It's interesting how the usage
has changed over time.

Ariane
--
Dysfunction: The only consistent feature of all your dissatisfying
relationships is you.
http://www.despair.com/demotivators/dysfunction.html

AlleyGator

Amarantha > wrote:
Priscilla posted a link which I will check out very shortly. I'm
about to be a laser-virgin no more! Back to the books in
anticipation. BTW, is anybody else here addicted to first-century
food? I have spent more money on books about this subject than I ever
care to admit to. Yes, I have 3 translations of Apicius, only one of
which I can read without help - the 60's Velmer edition. Lord, I'm an
idiot!
jmcquown

Ariane Jenkins wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:17:25 -0600, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>>
>> Yep; pomanders smell *nice* So that wasn't what I was thinking
>> about the asafoetida bag.

> The description you found mentioned a piece of asafoetida being
> tied on a string (vs. a bag) and it seems rather more obscure of a
> use than its culinary usage. The reason I brought up pomanders was
> because you specifically mentioned _bags of herbs and other things_
> to ward off illness. Maybe you recalled bits of history about the
> bubonic plague, and how it related to nursery rhymes like "Ring
> around the rosy". It's a fascinating time period. The medicinal of
> use of asafoetida sounds similar in purpose, but the actual practice
> you described isn't quite the same.
>
>> I also think pomanders are more like sachets tucked in with
>> lingerie (think lavender) or hung in a closet to make things smell
>> nice.

> Yeah, like sticking an orange with a bunch of cloves and using that
> in a closet. They may have done that back in the Middle Ages, but it
> would've been a very expensive luxury for most people. It's
> interesting how the usage has changed over time.
>
> Ariane

I agree - the "bag" thing well... definitely medieval or at least late
1800's. Same thing with some lockets that are made of "laced" silver - you
put pomander in them to smell good, not photos to show your loves picture.
Like I said, I read about it. Didn't say I draped it around my neck on a
string to ward off vampires, evil or illness And I have actually stuck
an orange with a bunch of cloves once - smelled very nice.

Jill

Dee Randall wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if the ng "rec.food.veg.cooking" is a ng that I

have to
> do something special to post to. I have no trouble posting to other

ng's.
> I don't believe I've ever been able to post there.
>
> If anyone from veg.cooking is reading this, here is my recent trial

> posting.
>
> I've just recently got rid of all my stapled dried beans and lentils

because
> they have been on-hand too long (11 years) and I don't want to

re-stock.

> Excluding dried lentils and beans (I'm now using canned beans), can

anyone
> give me an idea of recipes using asafoetida that I might look up on

the
> internet.
>
> I love the taste of asafetida in foods.
> Thanks,

I don't know when you posted to rec.food.veg.cooking, but since it is a
moderated ng there probably is some delay before messages are posted.
I took the liberty of forwarding your post to that ng but it might be
rejected (since it was forwarded their bot or the moderator may
interpret it as spam).

Mac

kalanamak

Dee Randall wrote:

> I love the taste of asafetida in foods.
> Thanks,
> Dee

Any dish that has oil and could have garlic (or does have) can take hing
(IMO). Heat the oil in a pan to pretty warm, throw in a pinch or more of
hing, depending on how fresh/strong, let cook 10 seconds, and add your
onion or whatever you were going to saute. Or, pour into a soup.
My hub adds it to many things.
blacksalt
Gedge

Hi,

rec.food.veg.cooking (RFVC) is different in that it is a moderated
newsgroup, but you shouldn't have to do anything different
to post to it (being on-topic is essentially all that's needed).

It's moderated so that postings are free from spam and other
meat products. ;-) Seriously - it's a vegetarian newsgroup.

I'm one of the moderators for RFVC, and can't see your post,
but another poster has forwarded your request on, so it should
appear soon ('cos I just approved it!). I saw that post,
and came here to help clarify. Thanks to them.

Please let me know, by e-mail, how you posted to RFVC.

It's worth noting, that, if we (moderators) reject posts
(perhaps because they are off-topic, and/or accidentally contain
meaty products, or need clarification), then - if your e-mail
address is incorrect in your post - the rejection notification
won't reach you. Please check the e-mail address in your postings.

Hope this helps,

Gedge

Dee Randall

"Gedge" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> rec.food.veg.cooking (RFVC) is different in that it is a moderated
> newsgroup, but you shouldn't have to do anything different
> to post to it (being on-topic is essentially all that's needed).
>
> It's moderated so that postings are free from spam and other
> meat products. ;-) Seriously - it's a vegetarian newsgroup.
>
> I'm one of the moderators for RFVC, and can't see your post,
> but another poster has forwarded your request on, so it should
> appear soon ('cos I just approved it!). I saw that post,
> and came here to help clarify. Thanks to them.
>

> Please let me know, by e-mail, how you posted to RFVC.
>
> It's worth noting, that, if we (moderators) reject posts
> (perhaps because they are off-topic, and/or accidentally contain
> meaty products, or need clarification), then - if your e-mail
> address is incorrect in your post - the rejection notification
> won't reach you. Please check the e-mail address in your postings.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Gedge

Thanks, Gedge

I looked at the from Dee Randall on my original posting to this group and it
shows under my name:
I belong to the alt.bread. recipes and it shows the same thing.
I belong to rec.food.baking and it shows the same thing.
I belong to rec.food. equipment and it shows the same thing.

I always post to newsgroups in plain text.
I don't believe I've ever had a posting show up on the veg. group. I just
now sent this to the veg group in plain text
"I'm trying to post to this group. This is a trial email. My text is set to
plain. Dee" The subject is "trying to post to rec.food.veg.cooking"
When I try to send it, this is the message I get.

Outlook Express could not post your message. Subject 'trying to post to
rec.food.veg.cooking', Account: 'news.shentel.net', Server:
'news.shentel.net', Protocol: NNTP, Server Response: '441 'From' header not
in required format [mod_valid_from]', Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Server
Error: 441, Error Number: 0x800CCCA9

This happens with no other newsgroup that I've tried to post to -- that I
recall. I've subscribed briefly to many newsgroups. I just can't figure it
out. What do you think.
Dee

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in
:

> This happens with no other newsgroup that I've tried to post to --
> that I recall. I've subscribed briefly to many newsgroups. I just
> can't figure it out. What do you think.
> Dee

I think this topic isn't applicable to this newsgroup. I think asking at
one of the NewsGroup help forums might help you or changing away from
outlook express.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban
Dee Randall

"Monsur Fromage du Pollet" > wrote in message
> "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in
> :
>
>> This happens with no other newsgroup that I've tried to post to --
>> that I recall. I've subscribed briefly to many newsgroups. I just
>> can't figure it out. What do you think.
>> Dee
>>

> I think this topic isn't applicable to this newsgroup. I think asking at
> one of the NewsGroup help forums might help you or changing away from
> outlook express.

I've done all I can with requests with other forums previously and
outlook express help and newsgroups, so I'm happy to get any feedback I
can. Thank you for your helpful suggestion.
Merci,
Dee

asafoetida! Jai General Cooking 12 11-06-2007 09:00 PM
asafoetida [email protected] Vegetarian cooking 2 23-03-2005 09:59 PM
asafoetida [email protected] Vegetarian cooking 0 22-03-2005 12:59 PM
Asafoetida David Hare-Scott General Cooking 13 18-06-2004 01:09 AM
what is asafoetida? Jennifer Vegan 3 25-10-2003 10:02 PM