Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Mashed Cauliflower

Here's something we've been doing and although they're still not as "thick"
as I would like, the taste, at least to my palette, is wonderful.

One package frozen cauliflower or 1/2 head, cooked to soft.
Place in food processor and spin until pureed.

Add 1/2 pack (or whole pack if you made the whole head) of cream cheese.
Add generous pat of real butter, salt and pepper.
Spin again, possibly adding some full cream.

This makes an incredible substitute for mashed potatoes, and is almost void
of carbs. Personally I like it better than mashed potatoes, something I
haven't had in many months.

But I would like for it to be a tad thicker in consistency. Anyone found a
way to accomplish this?

Wes

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:16:37 -0400, "Willy" > wrote:

>But I would like for it to be a tad thicker in consistency. Anyone found a
>way to accomplish this?

You've got to let it drain really, really thoroughly - maybe even
pressing it to get the last of the liquid out.

Whilst you're experimenting, mashed turnips or celeriac done the same
way are pretty good too : )

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Willy" > wrote in message
> Here's something we've been doing and although they're still not as
> "thick" as I would like, the taste, at least to my palette, is wonderful.
>
> One package frozen cauliflower or 1/2 head, cooked to soft.
> Place in food processor and spin until pureed.
>
> Add 1/2 pack (or whole pack if you made the whole head) of cream cheese.
> Add generous pat of real butter, salt and pepper.
> Spin again, possibly adding some full cream.
>
> This makes an incredible substitute for mashed potatoes, and is almost
> void of carbs. Personally I like it better than mashed potatoes,
> something I haven't had in many months.
>
> But I would like for it to be a tad thicker in consistency. Anyone found
> a way to accomplish this?
>
> Wes

I used to have a great recipe for faux potatoe salad...but it was misplaced
in one of our many moves. This looks Great Wes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:16:37 -0400, "Willy" > wrote:
>
> >But I would like for it to be a tad thicker in consistency. Anyone
> >found a way to accomplish this?

> You've got to let it drain really, really thoroughly - maybe even
> pressing it to get the last of the liquid out.
>
> Whilst you're experimenting, mashed turnips or celeriac done the same
> way are pretty good too : )

Mashed turnips are really good. And an excellent vehicle for heavy cream,
butter and fresh ground black pepper.

Neeps & Tatties, along with Cock-a-leekie Soup, accompanied with many
large quaffs of fine Scotch Single Malt whisky are a great dinner,
especially on January 25th! Sadly, the great chieftain o' the puddin'-race
is not readily available in Los Angeles. ;-((

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
: On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:16:37 -0400, "Willy" > wrote:

: >But I would like for it to be a tad thicker in consistency. Anyone found a
: >way to accomplish this?

: You've got to let it drain really, really thoroughly - maybe even
: pressing it to get the last of the liquid out.

: Whilst you're experimenting, mashed turnips or celeriac done the same
: way are pretty good too : )

: Nicky.

When yu say turnips, do yu mean the whie ones with the purple bottomw or
the huge yellow ones also called swedes or rutabegas? I like the white
ones but can't stand the yellow ones. I use the white ones in my stews in
place of pottoes. I one sitting in the oven right now keeping warm untl
spper. Beef, laarge chenked catrrots, celery, green or red pepper,
chunked tpeele white turnips, onions, grlic, large can of tomatoes, good
sized glug of left-over red wine, s and FGBP, 6-10 whole cloves, this
time two long salks of rosmary removed from stem. I would have put in
some bay leaves, but I couldn't find them.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 22:20:17 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> wrote:

>When yu say turnips, do yu mean the whie ones with the purple bottomw or
>the huge yellow ones also called swedes or rutabegas?

Yes, the white ones. I like swedes mashed with carrots; they also make
good chips!

Your stew sounds delicious. I haven't really got into winter cooking
yet, but that's made my mouth water!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Nicky > wrote:
> : On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:16:37 -0400, "Willy" > wrote:
>
> : >But I would like for it to be a tad thicker in consistency. Anyone
> found a
> : >way to accomplish this?
>
> : You've got to let it drain really, really thoroughly - maybe even
> : pressing it to get the last of the liquid out.
>
> : Whilst you're experimenting, mashed turnips or celeriac done the same
> : way are pretty good too : )
>
> : Nicky.
>
> When yu say turnips, do yu mean the whie ones with the purple bottomw or
> the huge yellow ones also called swedes or rutabegas? I like the white
> ones but can't stand the yellow ones. I use the white ones in my stews in
> place of pottoes. I one sitting in the oven right now keeping warm untl
> spper. Beef, laarge chenked catrrots, celery, green or red pepper,
> chunked tpeele white turnips, onions, grlic, large can of tomatoes, good
> sized glug of left-over red wine, s and FGBP, 6-10 whole cloves, this
> time two long salks of rosmary removed from stem. I would have put in
> some bay leaves, but I couldn't find them.

I thought turnips and rutabagas were two different things?

I like both of them raw, in limited amounts but not cooked at all. I
remember once taking a huge amount of what appeared to be mashed potatoes.
My mom chuckled with a rather evil laugh as she told me she didn't think I
wanted to do that. Imagine my shock and horror when I discovered they were
not potatoes but rutabagas. Blech!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Nicky > wrote:
: > : On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:16:37 -0400, "Willy" > wrote:
: >
[...]

but rutabegas are orangish yellow, not like potatos at all. white turnips
are white when peeled. I have never amshed them, just chunked them in
things like my stew recipe.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I hate cauliflower cooked..but this i do like and only thing i do different
is i press the cauli to get the excess water out before mixing in the other
stuff...i can add nearly 50 percent potato and not have it spike me so for
holiday meals thats what i do and nobody knows..lol.

KROM

"Willy" > wrote in message
> Here's something we've been doing and although they're still not as
> "thick" as I would like, the taste, at least to my palette, is wonderful.
>
> One package frozen cauliflower or 1/2 head, cooked to soft.
> Place in food processor and spin until pureed.
>
> Add 1/2 pack (or whole pack if you made the whole head) of cream cheese.
> Add generous pat of real butter, salt and pepper.
> Spin again, possibly adding some full cream.
>
> This makes an incredible substitute for mashed potatoes, and is almost
> void of carbs. Personally I like it better than mashed potatoes,
> something I haven't had in many months.
>
> But I would like for it to be a tad thicker in consistency. Anyone found
> a way to accomplish this?
>
> Wes

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Nicky > wrote:
>> : On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 10:16:37 -0400, "Willy" > wrote:
>>
>> : >But I would like for it to be a tad thicker in consistency. Anyone
>> found a
>> : >way to accomplish this?
>>
>> : You've got to let it drain really, really thoroughly - maybe even
>> : pressing it to get the last of the liquid out.
>>
>> : Whilst you're experimenting, mashed turnips or celeriac done the same
>> : way are pretty good too : )
>>
>> : Nicky.
>>
>> When yu say turnips, do yu mean the whie ones with the purple bottomw or
>> the huge yellow ones also called swedes or rutabegas? I like the white
>> ones but can't stand the yellow ones. I use the white ones in my stews
>> in
>> place of pottoes. I one sitting in the oven right now keeping warm untl
>> spper. Beef, laarge chenked catrrots, celery, green or red pepper,
>> chunked tpeele white turnips, onions, grlic, large can of tomatoes, good
>> sized glug of left-over red wine, s and FGBP, 6-10 whole cloves, this
>> time two long salks of rosmary removed from stem. I would have put in
>> some bay leaves, but I couldn't find them.

> I thought turnips and rutabagas were two different things?
>
> I like both of them raw, in limited amounts but not cooked at all. I
> remember once taking a huge amount of what appeared to be mashed potatoes.
> My mom chuckled with a rather evil laugh as she told me she didn't think I
> wanted to do that. Imagine my shock and horror when I discovered they
> were not potatoes but rutabagas. Blech!

Rutabagas are delicious when you oven roast them, sprinkled with herbs and
seasonings, oiled lightly and baked till tender. I have also enjoyed them
mashed, but we add one real potato to the pot for texture.
Best Regards,
Evelyn

(Our) enemies are not man. They are intolerance, fanaticism, dictatorship,
cupidity, hatred and discrimination, which lie within the heart of man." --
Thich Nhat Hanh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> "Willy" > wrote in message
>> Here's something we've been doing and although they're still not as
>> "thick" as I would like, the taste, at least to my palette, is wonderful.
>>
>> One package frozen cauliflower or 1/2 head, cooked to soft.
>> Place in food processor and spin until pureed.
>>
>> Add 1/2 pack (or whole pack if you made the whole head) of cream cheese.
>> Add generous pat of real butter, salt and pepper.
>> Spin again, possibly adding some full cream.
>>
>> This makes an incredible substitute for mashed potatoes, and is almost
>> void of carbs. Personally I like it better than mashed potatoes,
>> something I haven't had in many months.
>>
>> But I would like for it to be a tad thicker in consistency. Anyone found
>> a way to accomplish this?
>>
>> Wes
>>

> I used to have a great recipe for faux potatoe salad...but it was
> misplaced in one of our many moves. This looks Great Wes.

Let me know what you think once you try it. I just LOVE it! And there's a
restaurant chain that is now offering something like this as well, but I
can't remember which one it was (I eat out a lot as I travel extensively
with my job)... but I'll post a note as soon as I see it again.

Wes