Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mashed Cauliflower!

Am I the only person (except Om, of course) who has made it?

Mashed doesn't mean "pureed" so don't think of it like you'd think of
mashed potato, but - OMG, it's great!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 20, 9:29*pm, sf > wrote:
> Am I the only person (except Om, of course) who has made it?
>
> Mashed doesn't mean "pureed" so don't think of it like you'd think of
> mashed potato, but - OMG, it's great! *

I've never tried it, but I am interested. Do you steam it and then
mash it? What kind of seasonings do you add?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 23:24:32 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

> On Jan 20, 9:29*pm, sf > wrote:
> > Am I the only person (except Om, of course) who has made it?
> >
> > Mashed doesn't mean "pureed" so don't think of it like you'd think of
> > mashed potato, but - OMG, it's great! *
> >

> I've never tried it, but I am interested. Do you steam it and then
> mash it? What kind of seasonings do you add?

The recipe I followed had me cook it in milk. After the process, I
realized that was silly.

Like I said, next time I'll steam it and then I'll melt a little
butter on it... mash it with my zig zag potato masher and if it needs
any liquid, I'll put a tablespoon or so of milk on it (which I doubt
it will need). The cauliflower doesn't absorb liquid the way potato
does. You moosh the cauliflower up with the masher and it breaks down
into pieces maybe 1/4 inch in diameter. It's called "rustic", I
called it good... hubby called it "delicious" and I'm doing it again
soon!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> Like I said, next time I'll steam it and then I'll melt a little
> butter on it... mash it with my zig zag potato masher and if it needs
> any liquid, I'll put a tablespoon or so of milk on it (which I doubt
> it will need). The cauliflower doesn't absorb liquid the way potato
> does. You moosh the cauliflower up with the masher and it breaks down
> into pieces maybe 1/4 inch in diameter. It's called "rustic", I
> called it good... hubby called it "delicious" and I'm doing it again
> soon!

I do that and sometimes add in left over veggies. I use that mix as a
topping for Shepherd's pie etc. Much lighter than potato.
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 08:17:26 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> I do that and sometimes add in left over veggies. I use that mix as a
> topping for Shepherd's pie etc. Much lighter than potato.
> --

Now you're telling me how to be all healthy and stuff like that... but
I *really, really* like potato. In fact I put potatoes mashed with
Asiago on the last ones (individual pies) and dang, they were GOOD!

But I like your idea, O! I will try it on Shepherd's pie soon....
maybe tomorrow (looking at the clock... "today"). LOL!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 08:17:26 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>> I do that and sometimes add in left over veggies. I use that mix as a
>> topping for Shepherd's pie etc. Much lighter than potato.
>> --

> Now you're telling me how to be all healthy and stuff like that... but
> I *really, really* like potato. In fact I put potatoes mashed with
> Asiago on the last ones (individual pies) and dang, they were GOOD!
>

> But I like your idea, O! I will try it on Shepherd's pie soon....
> maybe tomorrow (looking at the clock... "today"). LOL!

That light topping is particuarly good with chicken under it in a nice
sauce... mushrooms are good too.
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> Am I the only person (except Om, of course) who has made it?
>
> Mashed doesn't mean "pureed" so don't think of it like you'd think of
> mashed potato, but - OMG, it's great!

Yes, and it's wonderful! Baked cauliflower is also fantastic.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote on Thu, 20 Jan 2011 21:29:44 -0800:

> Mashed doesn't mean "pureed" so don't think of it like you'd
> think of mashed potato, but - OMEGA, it's great!

I've made mashed cauliflower and it's not bad but it's not very
interesting or a substitute for mashed potatoes AFAIAC. Perhaps if you
used large quantities of butter it would be better but that's out for
me.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 21, 12:29*am, sf > wrote:
> Am I the only person (except Om, of course) who has made it?
>
> Mashed doesn't mean "pureed" so don't think of it like you'd think of
> mashed potato, but - OMG, it's great! *

I never cook it so much that it could be mashed. Generally I
nuke it very briefly and put marinara sauce on it.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 08:47:10 -0500, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> sf wrote on Thu, 20 Jan 2011 21:29:44 -0800:
>
>> Mashed doesn't mean "pureed" so don't think of it like you'd
>> think of mashed potato, but - OMEGA, it's great!

>I've made mashed cauliflower and it's not bad but it's not very
>interesting or a substitute for mashed potatoes AFAIAC. Perhaps if you
>used large quantities of butter it would be better but that's out for
>me.

Best use of mashed cauliflower is in combination with egg, a bit of
flour and S&P to taste. Then drop by the half-cup and fry in butter.

We called them "cauliflower latkes" when I was a kid. I still make
them.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/01/2011 12:29 AM, sf wrote:

> Am I the only person (except Om, of course) who has made it?
>
> Mashed doesn't mean "pureed" so don't think of it like you'd think of
> mashed potato, but - OMG, it's great!

I like cauliflower to still have a little substance to it. I don't think
it would mash that way.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 09:21:45 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 08:17:26 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I do that and sometimes add in left over veggies. I use that mix as a
> >> topping for Shepherd's pie etc. Much lighter than potato.
> >> --

> > Now you're telling me how to be all healthy and stuff like that... but
> > I *really, really* like potato. In fact I put potatoes mashed with
> > Asiago on the last ones (individual pies) and dang, they were GOOD!
> >

> > But I like your idea, O! I will try it on Shepherd's pie soon....
> > maybe tomorrow (looking at the clock... "today"). LOL!

> That light topping is particuarly good with chicken under it in a nice
> sauce... mushrooms are good too.
> --

Chicken is a *great* idea too... and another excuse to make that kind
of pie soon - but the meat is in my refrigerator already, so I'm using
a mixture of ground beef and Italian sausage today.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 01:23:37 -0800, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 01:19:48 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 08:17:26 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> I do that and sometimes add in left over veggies. I use that mix as a
> >> topping for Shepherd's pie etc. Much lighter than potato.
> >> --

> >Now you're telling me how to be all healthy and stuff like that... but
> >I *really, really* like potato. In fact I put potatoes mashed with
> >Asiago on the last ones (individual pies) and dang, they were GOOD!
> >

> >But I like your idea, O! I will try it on Shepherd's pie soon....
> >maybe tomorrow (looking at the clock... "today"). LOL!

> That does sound good. And I AM trying to eat healthy...so this is
> right up my alley....

I'm definitely trying it soon! Maybe this weekend, maybe next week.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 20, 9:29*pm, sf > wrote:
> Am I the only person (except Om, of course) who has made it?
>
> Mashed doesn't mean "pureed" so don't think of it like you'd think of
> mashed potato, but - OMG, it's great! *
>
> --
>
> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

I've eaten it many times. The trick is to not mash it too much.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 06:07:30 -0600, Andy > wrote:

> I'd steam it in a folding steamer basket insert instead of boiling to
> not cook out all the nutrients. I'd put it head side down for thorough
> and faster steaming.

I'm glad I didn't use as much liquid as called for so I kept pretty
much all of the nutrients because it virtually steamed. Next time,
I'll just steam it and add a tiny bit of milk when I mash it - because
like I said befo it doesn't absorb milk the way potatoes do.

> I've never mashed it but I like the idea. I could swap out my fork for a
> spoon or crackers.

It's soooo good, I wish I'd tried mashing it years ago when people who
were low carbing first gushed about it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 05:40:05 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> >
> > Am I the only person (except Om, of course) who has made it?
> >
> > Mashed doesn't mean "pureed" so don't think of it like you'd think of
> > mashed potato, but - OMG, it's great!
> >

> Yes, and it's wonderful! Baked cauliflower is also fantastic.

I've only roasted cauliflower, but that's certainly delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 10:40:34 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 21/01/2011 12:29 AM, sf wrote:
> >
> > Am I the only person (except Om, of course) who has made it?
> >
> > Mashed doesn't mean "pureed" so don't think of it like you'd think of
> > mashed potato, but - OMG, it's great!
> >

> I like cauliflower to still have a little substance to it. I don't think
> it would mash that way.

Just cook it until it's easily pierced with a sharp knife. I used the
zig zag masher and it worked for me. I don't know how the ricer would
work and I forgot that DD gave me a new masher that looks like a coil
- so I didn't use it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> Am I the only person (except Om, of course) who has made it?
>
> Mashed doesn't mean "pureed" so don't think of it like you'd think of
> mashed potato, but - OMG, it's great!

We call them fauxtatoes in the low carb world. They are good made with
garlic and butter just like garlic mashed potatoes. Also, a little cream
cheese makes them richer and tastier.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 06:07:30 -0600, Andy > wrote:
>
>> I'd steam it in a folding steamer basket insert instead of boiling to
>> not cook out all the nutrients. I'd put it head side down for thorough
>> and faster steaming.

> I'm glad I didn't use as much liquid as called for so I kept pretty
> much all of the nutrients because it virtually steamed. Next time,
> I'll just steam it and add a tiny bit of milk when I mash it - because
> like I said befo it doesn't absorb milk the way potatoes do.
>>
>> I've never mashed it but I like the idea. I could swap out my fork for a
>> spoon or crackers.

> It's soooo good, I wish I'd tried mashing it years ago when people who
> were low carbing first gushed about it.

I steam my cauli and when my knife just about slides into the stalk I pull
them out and mash with a little butter and seasoning.

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 21, 12:03*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 06:07:30 -0600, Andy > wrote:
> > I'd steam it in a folding steamer basket insert instead of boiling to
> > not cook out all the nutrients. I'd put it head side down for thorough
> > and faster steaming.

> I'm glad I didn't use as much liquid as called for so I kept pretty
> much all of the nutrients because it virtually steamed. *Next time,
> I'll just steam it and add a tiny bit of milk when I mash it - because
> like I said befo it doesn't absorb milk the way potatoes do.
>

> > I've never mashed it but I like the idea. I could swap out my fork for a
> > spoon or crackers.

> It's soooo good, I wish I'd tried mashing it years ago when people who
> were low carbing first gushed about it.
>
> --
>
> Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

I like mashed cauliflower too. I also like mashed parsnips fixed like
mashed potaotes.
I don't add milk to potatoes. I add butter and sour cream, garlic
powder or minced garlic.

Lucille

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 21:29:44 -0800, sf > wrote:

>Am I the only person (except Om, of course) who has made it?
>
>Mashed doesn't mean "pureed" so don't think of it like you'd think of
>mashed potato, but - OMG, it's great!

Done it for years.... just smashed and folded into mashed potatoes
with a bit of minced parsley and some butter! Delicious and a great
way to get kids to eat their veggies.

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 09:32:54 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> Also, a little cream cheese makes them richer and tastier.

Aha, so cream cheese is the "dirty" little secret to making them
creamy! <scribbling that one down too>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Am I the only person (except Om, of course) who has made it?
>>
>> Mashed doesn't mean "pureed" so don't think of it like you'd think of
>> mashed potato, but - OMG, it's great!
>>

>Yes, and it's wonderful! Baked cauliflower is also fantastic.
>
>Jill

Also deep fried, which I top with breadcrumbs in brown butter (a la
polonaise). I could see the mashed cauliflower browned a bit in a
salamander or broiler, then slathered with fried bread crumbs. To die
for.

Alex
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> sf wrote:
>
>> Mashed doesn't mean "pureed" so don't think of it like you'd
>> think of mashed potato, but - OMEGA, it's great!

> I've made mashed cauliflower and it's not bad but it's not very
> interesting or a substitute for mashed potatoes AFAIAC. Perhaps if you
> used large quantities of butter it would be better but that's out for
> me.

I put about the same amount of butter in mashed cauliflower as in mashed
potatoes. Garlic goes well in both but it really stands out in mashed
cauiflower.

It's easy to end up with excess water after mashing cauliflower. Drop
it in a sieve to let it drain for a minute after mashing.

Here's the difference to me - I think potatoes absorb a lot of flavor so
a small amount of spice tends to almost disappear into potatoes. The
result is a background sparkle that's nice but almost not worth it. I
think cauliflower is lighter and easier with spices. They stand out
better to me. A bit of nutmeg is very nice in mashed cauliflower, as
does garlic or any other herb or spice.

In some of my meals I like to have one flavor profile on the meat
course, another flavor profile on the veggie course. If I have a cream
or cheese sauce for the meat I want an herbal or aromatic addition to
the veggie. Cauliflower is very adaptable that way - It goes great with
either addtion. Tarragon goes with either mashed potatoes or mashed
cauliflower. I am not impressed with nutmeg, clove, allspice or cimamon
in mashed potatoes but I like them in mashed cauliflower.

One nice thing about mashed cauliflower - It's not a "low carb
substitute for potatoes". It's a core low carb veggie in and of itself.
There's nothing fake in a dish of mashed cauliflower with some herbs.
It's not a condolance dish. It's a core low carb food made to taste
every bit as good as a potato. Attempts at low carb pasta are lacking.
Not so with mashed cauliflower.

Cauliflower a bit too mild for you? Toss one brussel sprout in the
steamer and mash it in with the cauliflower. It adds a nice green sworl
and makes the flavor more intense without getting nearly as strong as a
dish that's all brussel sprouts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/01/2011 12:04 PM, sf wrote:

>> Yes, and it's wonderful! Baked cauliflower is also fantastic.
>>

> I've only roasted cauliflower, but that's certainly delicious.

I have grilled it on the gas BBQ after marinating in yog
urt with curry powder. It was delicious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
> James Silverton wrote:
>> sf wrote:
>>
>>> Mashed doesn't mean "pureed" so don't think of it like you'd
>>> think of mashed potato, but - OMEGA, it's great!

>> I've made mashed cauliflower and it's not bad but it's not very
>> interesting or a substitute for mashed potatoes AFAIAC. Perhaps if you
>> used large quantities of butter it would be better but that's out for
>> me.

> I put about the same amount of butter in mashed cauliflower as in mashed
> potatoes. Garlic goes well in both but it really stands out in mashed
> cauiflower.
>
> It's easy to end up with excess water after mashing cauliflower. Drop
> it in a sieve to let it drain for a minute after mashing.
>
> Here's the difference to me - I think potatoes absorb a lot of flavor so
> a small amount of spice tends to almost disappear into potatoes. The
> result is a background sparkle that's nice but almost not worth it. I
> think cauliflower is lighter and easier with spices. They stand out
> better to me. A bit of nutmeg is very nice in mashed cauliflower, as
> does garlic or any other herb or spice.
>
> In some of my meals I like to have one flavor profile on the meat
> course, another flavor profile on the veggie course. If I have a cream
> or cheese sauce for the meat I want an herbal or aromatic addition to
> the veggie. Cauliflower is very adaptable that way - It goes great with
> either addtion. Tarragon goes with either mashed potatoes or mashed
> cauliflower. I am not impressed with nutmeg, clove, allspice or cimamon
> in mashed potatoes but I like them in mashed cauliflower.
>
> One nice thing about mashed cauliflower - It's not a "low carb
> substitute for potatoes". It's a core low carb veggie in and of itself.
> There's nothing fake in a dish of mashed cauliflower with some herbs.
> It's not a condolance dish. It's a core low carb food made to taste
> every bit as good as a potato. Attempts at low carb pasta are lacking.
> Not so with mashed cauliflower.
>
> Cauliflower a bit too mild for you? Toss one brussel sprout in the
> steamer and mash it in with the cauliflower. It adds a nice green sworl
> and makes the flavor more intense without getting nearly as strong as a
> dish that's all brussel sprouts.

I agree with all of that I mix other green veggies in with the Cauli too
and we love it all

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lucille wrote:

> I also like mashed parsnips fixed like mashed potaotes.

Pretty much any veggie you like will work okay mashed. Most of the root
veggies are great mashed. Parsnips are one of my dislikes so I'll trade
you my mashed parsnips for your mashed rutabagas. Mashed rutabagas with
turkey gravy, yum.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/21/2011 12:03 PM, sf wrote:

> I'm glad I didn't use as much liquid as called for so I kept pretty
> much all of the nutrients because it virtually steamed. Next time,
> I'll just steam it and add a tiny bit of milk when I mash it - because
> like I said befo it doesn't absorb milk the way potatoes do.

Try chicken stock!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2011 11:29 PM, sf wrote:

> Am I the only person (except Om, of course) who has made it?
>
> Mashed doesn't mean "pureed" so don't think of it like you'd think of
> mashed potato, but - OMG, it's great!

I love it! I smoosh it with the stick blender add a little butter and
cream and a touch of freshly grated nutmeg. We should be coming into
cauliflower season here in a few weeks. The ones at the farm market are
as big as basketballs and run about $1 each. Can't wait.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/21/2011 2:07 PM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
> Lucille wrote:
>>
>> I also like mashed parsnips fixed like mashed potaotes.

> Pretty much any veggie you like will work okay mashed. Most of the root
> veggies are great mashed. Parsnips are one of my dislikes so I'll trade
> you my mashed parsnips for your mashed rutabagas. Mashed rutabagas with
> turkey gravy, yum.

Have you ever roasted parsnips? They are particularly yummy that way
even if you don't like them any other way.

I have just discovered canned diced rutabagas which are rutabagas and
water. I heat them up, drain them well and mash them with butter and a
bit of cream, salt & pepper. I think they are delicious.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 23:24:32 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Jan 20, 9:29 pm, sf > wrote:
>>> Am I the only person (except Om, of course) who has made it?
>>>
>>> Mashed doesn't mean "pureed" so don't think of it like you'd think
>>> of mashed potato, but - OMG, it's great!
>>>

>> I've never tried it, but I am interested. Do you steam it and then
>> mash it? What kind of seasonings do you add?

> The recipe I followed had me cook it in milk. After the process, I
> realized that was silly.
>
> Like I said, next time I'll steam it and then I'll melt a little
> butter on it... mash it with my zig zag potato masher and if it needs
> any liquid, I'll put a tablespoon or so of milk on it (which I doubt
> it will need). The cauliflower doesn't absorb liquid the way potato
> does. You moosh the cauliflower up with the masher and it breaks down
> into pieces maybe 1/4 inch in diameter. It's called "rustic", I
> called it good... hubby called it "delicious" and I'm doing it again
> soon!

Try cooking the cauliflower in a heavy, tightly covered saucepan with a
little bit of strong chicken broth, like 1/4 cup, then uncovering and
reducing over high heat. A minced clove of garlic would not go amiss,
either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:

> One nice thing about mashed cauliflower - It's not a "low carb
> substitute for potatoes".
> It's a core low carb veggie in and of
> itself. There's nothing fake in a dish of mashed cauliflower with
> some herbs. It's not a condolance dish.

It is for me. I mean, I like cauliflower, but since I can no longer have
potatoes it has become the thing I use in gratins and the like instead of
potatoes.

> It's a core low carb food
> made to taste every bit as good as a potato.

Never. <G>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 1/21/2011 2:07 PM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
>> Lucille wrote:
>>>
>>> I also like mashed parsnips fixed like mashed potaotes.

>> Pretty much any veggie you like will work okay mashed. Most of the root
>> veggies are great mashed. Parsnips are one of my dislikes so I'll trade
>> you my mashed parsnips for your mashed rutabagas. Mashed rutabagas with
>> turkey gravy, yum.

> Have you ever roasted parsnips? They are particularly yummy that way even
> if you don't like them any other way.

Oh yes I don't like them boiled, but roasted they are wonderful.
Sprinkle some parmesan cheese over them too while they are roasting.

> I have just discovered canned diced rutabagas which are rutabagas and
> water. I heat them up, drain them well and mash them with butter and a bit
> of cream, salt & pepper. I think they are delicious.

Yep, seems we have similar tastes
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 21:29:44 -0800, sf > wrote:

>Am I the only person (except Om, of course) who has made it?
>
>Mashed doesn't mean "pureed" so don't think of it like you'd think of
>mashed potato, but - OMG, it's great!

General remark: ( LoCarb) IIRC, cauliflower was one of the
recommended *good* veggies in the Atkins diet, with which wife and I
once dabbled. Seems that's where we learned how versatile it was.

Alex, who breads pork chops with crushed chicharrones.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemiker wrote on Fri, 21 Jan 2011 16:23:28 -0600:

>> Am I the only person (except Om, of course) who has made it?
>>
>> Mashed doesn't mean "pureed" so don't think of it like you'd
>> think of mashed potato, but - OMG, it's great!

> General remark: ( LoCarb) IIRC, cauliflower was one of the
> recommended *good* veggies in the Atkins diet, with which wife
> and I once dabbled. Seems that's where we learned how
> versatile it was.

Despite what I have said about mashed cauliflower, I like it as a
vegetable. I've got 6 recipes for Indian inspired cauliflower that I
like a lot, some with egg incorporated. There are also a couple of
cauliflower soups that I like.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemiker > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 21:29:44 -0800, sf > wrote:
>

>>Am I the only person (except Om, of course) who has made it?
>>
>>Mashed doesn't mean "pureed" so don't think of it like you'd think of
>>mashed potato, but - OMG, it's great!

> General remark: ( LoCarb) IIRC, cauliflower was one of the
> recommended *good* veggies in the Atkins diet, with which wife and I
> once dabbled. Seems that's where we learned how versatile it was.
>
> Alex, who breads pork chops with crushed chicharrones.

Mmmmmmm, pork on pork :-)

I have often mashed cauliflower, sometimes after roasting it. A few
seasonings, and it makes a nice change to mashed spuds.

I've done the same with parsnips.

But the SO is not a big fan of parsnips, so I usually just do it for
myself.

--
Peter Lucas
Hobart

"As we weep for what we have lost, and as we grieve for family and friends
and we confront the challenge that is before us, I want us to remember who
we are.

We are Queenslanders.

We're the people that they breed tough, north of the border.

We're the ones that they knock down, and we get up again."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 12:08:30 -0600, Chemiker
> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 21:29:44 -0800, sf > wrote:
>

> >Am I the only person (except Om, of course) who has made it?
> >
> >Mashed doesn't mean "pureed" so don't think of it like you'd think of
> >mashed potato, but - OMG, it's great!

> Done it for years.... just smashed and folded into mashed potatoes
> with a bit of minced parsley and some butter! Delicious and a great
> way to get kids to eat their veggies.

That's exactly what I was thinking of for tonight, Alex... but I
forgot to buy more cauliflower when I was at the store.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Am I the only person (except Om, of course) who has made it?
>
> Mashed doesn't mean "pureed" so don't think of it like you'd think of
> mashed potato, but - OMG, it's great!
>
> --

We do it all the time. Sometimes mashed with other cooked vegetables to
make 'stamppot'. Fantastic topped with fried breadcrumbs :q
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 20:59:17 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Chemiker > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 21:29:44 -0800, sf > wrote:
>>

>> >Am I the only person (except Om, of course) who has made it?
>> >
>> >Mashed doesn't mean "pureed" so don't think of it like you'd think of
>> >mashed potato, but - OMG, it's great!

>> General remark: ( LoCarb) IIRC, cauliflower was one of the
>> recommended *good* veggies in the Atkins diet, with which wife and I
>> once dabbled. Seems that's where we learned how versatile it was.
>>
>> Alex, who breads pork chops with crushed chicharrones.

>Does that really work? I've not yet tried it as I was leery of them
>getting soggy and not staying crunchy.

Yes, dear, it works. Pat the chops dry and don't go overboard on the
egg wash. Fry promptly, don't let them sit about or they *will* get
soggy. In a way, they act something like panko. Try a few, to get the
feel of it and you will be rewarded. They are actually quite tasty AND
low carb. If you have access to some of the Atkins cookbooks, you will
find references, I think. I also think they can be baked rather than
fried.....

HTH

Alex

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemiker wrote on Fri, 21 Jan 2011 21:44:20 -0600:

>> In article >,
>> Chemiker > wrote:

>>> General remark: ( LoCarb) IIRC, cauliflower was one of the
>>> recommended *good* veggies in the Atkins diet, with which
>>> wife and I once dabbled. Seems that's where we learned how
>>> versatile it was.
>>>
>>> Alex, who breads pork chops with crushed chicharrones.

>> Does that really work? I've not yet tried it as I was leery
>> of them getting soggy and not staying crunchy.

> Yes, dear, it works. Pat the chops dry and don't go overboard
> on the egg wash. Fry promptly, don't let them sit about or
> they *will* get soggy. In a way, they act something like
> panko. Try a few, to get the feel of it and you will be
> rewarded. They are actually quite tasty AND low carb. If you
> have access to some of the Atkins cookbooks, you will find
> references, I think. I also think they can be baked rather
> than fried.....

I had to look up chicharones and the fat intake from pork chops covered
with crisp pork rinds appalls me, but they sound good!

I quite often make "oven-fried" chicken with Panko and I don't find the
crumbs becoming soggy on egg washed meat even made well in advance and
kept in the fridge. Basically, the materials are breaded on a plate
covered with Panko and I use enough so that there is a thin layer of
crumbs below the pieces.

The Panko will lose its original crispness but it returns on cooking.
Admittedly, Panko will lose its original texture if it is not cooked.
This is something that a local sushi bar discovered when it used toasted
Panko on the outside of rolls and found that they were only good for a
few minutes.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Cauliflower mashed potatoes Todd Diabetic 5 11-02-2013 06:32 PM
Mashed Cauliflower Willy Diabetic 10 03-11-2008 10:36 PM
Mashed cauliflower KIB Vegetarian cooking 1 26-09-2007 11:17 PM
mashed cauliflower Jude General Cooking 15 24-04-2005 04:29 PM
Mashed Cauliflower BP Diabetic 4 05-10-2004 07:24 PM