Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Effect of cup of coffee on FBG

I did some research on this and I get long term studies of the overall
effect of coffee on Blood Sugar, but that is not what I am looking
for. And what little I've found may indicate it is an individual
thing. So the answer may be do a before and after test and see.
Sue likes to dawdle over a Roy-provided cuppa joe in bed in the
morning while watching the news, etc. Has anyone found that this
affects B.S. and in which direction?
TIA
Roy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i personally only get a slight raise like 2 points..and thats likely from
the cream and the carbs in splenda..so if im 89 and i drink coffee i will
raise to 90-91..so negligable difference.

Somtimes of course if im drinking coffee and forget to eat i will plummet.

KROM

"starrin" > wrote in message
>I did some research on this and I get long term studies of the overall
> effect of coffee on Blood Sugar, but that is not what I am looking
> for. And what little I've found may indicate it is an individual
> thing. So the answer may be do a before and after test and see.
> Sue likes to dawdle over a Roy-provided cuppa joe in bed in the
> morning while watching the news, etc. Has anyone found that this
> affects B.S. and in which direction?
> TIA
> Roy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
>i personally only get a slight raise like 2 points..and thats likely from
>the cream and the carbs in splenda..so if im 89 and i drink coffee i will
>raise to 90-91..so negligable difference.
>
> Somtimes of course if im drinking coffee and forget to eat i will plummet.
>
> KROM
>
> "starrin" > wrote in message
>>I did some research on this and I get long term studies of the overall
>> effect of coffee on Blood Sugar, but that is not what I am looking
>> for. And what little I've found may indicate it is an individual
>> thing. So the answer may be do a before and after test and see.
>> Sue likes to dawdle over a Roy-provided cuppa joe in bed in the
>> morning while watching the news, etc. Has anyone found that this
>> affects B.S. and in which direction?
>> TIA
>> Roy

I get about an 8 point rise for a cup of coffee with 3 tbs of half&half
cream. The cream has about 2 carbs so that is about right.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Wierd thing for me is i rise if i drink the cream in coffee..but if i make
whipped cream and eat it with strawberries i get zero rise..i even like to
whip it with splenda and vanillia and eat it with almonds...or somtimes i
whip in whey powder and it eat it like that..all no rise..its just when i
drink it in coffee..and i use heavy cream.

KROM

"anon aka" > wrote
> I get about an 8 point rise for a cup of coffee with 3 tbs of half&half
> cream. The cream has about 2 carbs so that is about right.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
> Wierd thing for me is i rise if i drink the cream in coffee..but if i make
> whipped cream and eat it with strawberries i get zero rise..i even like to
> whip it with splenda and vanillia and eat it with almonds...or somtimes i
> whip in whey powder and it eat it like that..all no rise..its just when i
> drink it in coffee..and i use heavy cream.
>
> KROM
>
> "anon aka" > wrote
>> I get about an 8 point rise for a cup of coffee with 3 tbs of half&half
>> cream. The cream has about 2 carbs so that is about right.

I don't understand that either because whipping cream has even less carbs
than my half&half. I can account for the entire BG rise from coffee to the
amount of half&half I use.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"starrin" > wrote in message
>I did some research on this and I get long term studies of the overall
> effect of coffee on Blood Sugar, but that is not what I am looking
> for. And what little I've found may indicate it is an individual
> thing. So the answer may be do a before and after test and see.
> Sue likes to dawdle over a Roy-provided cuppa joe in bed in the
> morning while watching the news, etc. Has anyone found that this
> affects B.S. and in which direction?
> TIA
> Roy

Found this today, think perhaps there's something to it.

http://blog.nutritiondata.com/ndblog...-and-diab.html

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 16:44:31 -0500, "Art Lindquist"
> wrote:

>"starrin" > wrote in message
.. .
>>I did some research on this and I get long term studies of the overall
>> effect of coffee on Blood Sugar, but that is not what I am looking
>> for. And what little I've found may indicate it is an individual
>> thing. So the answer may be do a before and after test and see.
>> Sue likes to dawdle over a Roy-provided cuppa joe in bed in the
>> morning while watching the news, etc. Has anyone found that this
>> affects B.S. and in which direction?
>> TIA
>> Roy

>Found this today, think perhaps there's something to it.
>
> http://blog.nutritiondata.com/ndblog...-and-diab.html

Thank you for that. Have worked a "pre-coffee" and "2-hr post-coffee"
test into Sunday's schedule as that is the day she really dawdles.
We're sort of trying to find out if that cup of coffee screws up her
pre-breakfast (and/or fasting) test results, since she will have had
no other food, if we are to consider coffee a food, for test purposes.
She drinks it raw - no cream, sugar.
Sue and Roy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

starrin wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 16:44:31 -0500, "Art Lindquist"
> > wrote:
>
>> "starrin" > wrote in message
>>> I did some research on this and I get long term studies of the overall
>>> effect of coffee on Blood Sugar, but that is not what I am looking
>>> for. And what little I've found may indicate it is an individual
>>> thing. So the answer may be do a before and after test and see.
>>> Sue likes to dawdle over a Roy-provided cuppa joe in bed in the
>>> morning while watching the news, etc. Has anyone found that this
>>> affects B.S. and in which direction?
>>> TIA
>>> Roy

>> Found this today, think perhaps there's something to it.
>>
>> http://blog.nutritiondata.com/ndblog...-and-diab.html

> Thank you for that. Have worked a "pre-coffee" and "2-hr post-coffee"
> test into Sunday's schedule as that is the day she really dawdles.
> We're sort of trying to find out if that cup of coffee screws up her
> pre-breakfast (and/or fasting) test results, since she will have had
> no other food, if we are to consider coffee a food, for test purposes.
> She drinks it raw - no cream, sugar.
> Sue and Roy

the only problem with this test is that the liver will 'dump' glycogen,
which raises the bg levels

we HAVE to eat to prevent the liver from 'dumping'

--
kate
type 1 since 1987
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:14:59 -0400, starrin >
wrote:

>Thank you for that. Have worked a "pre-coffee" and "2-hr post-coffee"
>test into Sunday's schedule as that is the day she really dawdles.
>We're sort of trying to find out if that cup of coffee screws up her
>pre-breakfast (and/or fasting) test results, since she will have had
>no other food, if we are to consider coffee a food, for test purposes.
>She drinks it raw - no cream, sugar.

Roy - try and get a bit of breakfast into her pretty soon after she's
wakened, to prevent an over-enthusiastic liver doing a dump. After
that, she's probably fine to drink coffee or not, as she pleases.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 21:52:17 +0100, Nicky >
wrote:
>Roy - try and get a bit of breakfast into her pretty soon after she's
>wakened, to prevent an over-enthusiastic liver doing a dump. After
>that, she's probably fine to drink coffee or not, as she pleases.

Ran The Great Coffee Test
9 a.m. fasting upon awakening - 111
11 a.m. after one big cup of coffee starting a 9 - 126
Now I don't know if it was the coffee, or a liver dump.
The issue here was not whether or not to quit coffee, but whether or
not coffee broke her fast. Does water? After all, neither has any
food value.
Still have no idea.
The more we learn, the less we understand.
Sue and Roy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 10:11:59 -0400, starrin >
wrote:

>What I got out of that is that it would tie any changes more directly
>to the coffee, not the passaage of time.

My money's on time, not the coffee.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Nicky > wrote:

> On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 10:11:59 -0400, starrin >
> wrote:
>
> >What I got out of that is that it would tie any changes more directly
> >to the coffee, not the passaage of time.

> My money's on time, not the coffee.

Absolutely. I get a rise of c. 20 mg/dl in the time it takes me to
shower and wash my hair in the morning.

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 11:17:59 -0400, starrin
> wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 21:52:17 +0100, Nicky >
>wrote:
>>Roy - try and get a bit of breakfast into her pretty soon after she's
>>wakened, to prevent an over-enthusiastic liver doing a dump. After
>>that, she's probably fine to drink coffee or not, as she pleases.

>Ran The Great Coffee Test
>9 a.m. fasting upon awakening - 111
>11 a.m. after one big cup of coffee starting a 9 - 126
>Now I don't know if it was the coffee, or a liver dump.
>The issue here was not whether or not to quit coffee, but whether or
>not coffee broke her fast. Does water? After all, neither has any
>food value.
>Still have no idea.
>The more we learn, the less we understand.
> Sue and Roy

Typical dawn effect/liver dump.

That would be a typical rise between my waking at 6am and
fasting until I am tested at 9am by the doc. Actually, I
would rise a little more, from sub6(108) to >7(126).

The coffee had nothing to do with the BG rise, nor did it
break her fast.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg