Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Tonight's dinner, tuna casserole

This is a little more complicated to make than the one I used to do with the
cream of mushroom soup. But it's every bit as good and has less carbs in
it.

For the sauce, I used a double order of Cremini mushrooms. That's about 6
big handfuls. And for variety I used a couple good sized handfuls of dried
mixed mushrooms. I got them at Costco but I sometimes make my own if I get
a good price. I have a dehydrator. I also used some fresh parsley, but you
could use dried. I used a small handful because I didn't want it too green.
And I used about 1/4 cup of dried onion but you could use fresh instead.
You can also use the cheaper brown mushrooms. I just use whatever I happen
to have.

First, soak your dried mushrooms in enough hot water to cover. I added the
onion because it was dried too. I then allowed this to cool, and added the
vegetables to my food processor along with the other mushrooms and parsley
and processed with the "S" blade until fairly smooth. If you don't have a
food processor, you can cook this mixture first and then use an immersion
blender. I have also done it that way.

I then sautéed this in some olive oil, adding a bit of plain rice milk and
the remaining soak water from the onions and mushrooms. Vegetable broth or
water could be used to cut carbs further. Or if you don't have allergies
like we do you could use real milk or cream. Season with salt and pepper to
taste and cook, stirring occasionally until thick.

In a 2 quart casserole, combine a small package of frozen peas and your
tuna. I used 5 single serve packets of wild tuna, but you could use canned
or whatever kind you like. Canned salmon or chicken would also work. Green
beans can be subbed for the peas if this is too much carbs for you.

I added some cooked quinoa pasta to this but you could use whatever kind of
pasta you can eat, or even leave it out.

Bake at 350 until hot and bubbly. Will take about a half an hour, perhaps a
bit longer if your peas are really frozen or if you have made it ahead of
time and refrigerated.

For the three of us, this will make one meal and a leftover or two,
depending on how much everyone eats. Since my husband is not home, there
will be a lot left.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

yum!..that sounds great.

i wanna try quinoa pasta.

KROM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> This is a little more complicated to make than the one I used to do with
> the cream of mushroom soup. But it's every bit as good and has less carbs
> in it.
>
> For the sauce, I used a double order of Cremini mushrooms. That's about 6
> big handfuls. And for variety I used a couple good sized handfuls of
> dried mixed mushrooms. I got them at Costco but I sometimes make my own
> if I get a good price. I have a dehydrator. I also used some fresh
> parsley, but you could use dried. I used a small handful because I didn't
> want it too green. And I used about 1/4 cup of dried onion but you could
> use fresh instead. You can also use the cheaper brown mushrooms. I just
> use whatever I happen to have.
>
> First, soak your dried mushrooms in enough hot water to cover. I added
> the onion because it was dried too. I then allowed this to cool, and
> added the vegetables to my food processor along with the other mushrooms
> and parsley and processed with the "S" blade until fairly smooth. If you
> don't have a food processor, you can cook this mixture first and then use
> an immersion blender. I have also done it that way.
>
> I then sautéed this in some olive oil, adding a bit of plain rice milk and
> the remaining soak water from the onions and mushrooms. Vegetable broth
> or water could be used to cut carbs further. Or if you don't have
> allergies like we do you could use real milk or cream. Season with salt
> and pepper to taste and cook, stirring occasionally until thick.
>
> In a 2 quart casserole, combine a small package of frozen peas and your
> tuna. I used 5 single serve packets of wild tuna, but you could use
> canned or whatever kind you like. Canned salmon or chicken would also
> work. Green beans can be subbed for the peas if this is too much carbs
> for you.
>
> I added some cooked quinoa pasta to this but you could use whatever kind
> of pasta you can eat, or even leave it out.
>
> Bake at 350 until hot and bubbly. Will take about a half an hour, perhaps
> a bit longer if your peas are really frozen or if you have made it ahead
> of time and refrigerated.
>
> For the three of us, this will make one meal and a leftover or two,
> depending on how much everyone eats. Since my husband is not home, there
> will be a lot left.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
> yum!..that sounds great.
>
> i wanna try quinoa pasta.

It tastes really good!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Everyone talks about how great quinoa is but i cant find any near me..theres
a co-op closer to down town but i hate that area..and i think you gotta be a
meber and pay like 250 bucks for the year.

KROM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "krom" > wrote in message
>> yum!..that sounds great.
>>
>> i wanna try quinoa pasta.

> It tastes really good!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

krom > wrote:
: Everyone talks about how great quinoa is but i cant find any near me..theres
: a co-op closer to down town but i hate that area..and i think you gotta be a
: meber and pay like 250 bucks for the year.

: KROM

Have you tried either organic stores or health food stores?

I have only seen quinoa, not the pasta, but quina does me no favors.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
> Everyone talks about how great quinoa is but i cant find any near
> me..theres a co-op closer to down town but i hate that area..and i think
> you gotta be a meber and pay like 250 bucks for the year.

I get mine at the health food store.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I live in the po part of town..lol..id have to drive to a burb to get to a
decent one.

Not even a whole foods within like 50 minutes of me..they all go to the
outter-ring burbs and so its not worth the gas.

KROM

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> krom > wrote:
> : Everyone talks about how great quinoa is but i cant find any near
> me..theres
> : a co-op closer to down town but i hate that area..and i think you gotta
> be a
> : meber and pay like 250 bucks for the year.
>
> : KROM
>
> Have you tried either organic stores or health food stores?
>
> I have only seen quinoa, not the pasta, but quina does me no favors.
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
>I live in the po part of town..lol..id have to drive to a burb to get to a
>decent one.
>
> Not even a whole foods within like 50 minutes of me..they all go to the
> outter-ring burbs and so its not worth the gas.

I am very lucky. Where I lived it used to be farm country and there was
nothing there. Now more and more businesses are moving in. I have a small
health food store just around the corner and the owner is has celiac. They
are good to order me anything I want. We also have Central Market which I
have heard is like Whole Foods. I've never been to a Whole Foods. Also a
PCC Natural Market (organic foods) is opening in Edmonds where my parents
live. Can't wait to try that!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

sounds nice..we got a zillian mexican and african markets here..none of
which i would want to go into..i tried once..its not fun to be glared at as
you pass 20 very angry lookin guys chain smoking and giving you the clear
not welcome vibes..then once inside nobody is there to help you and the
shelfs are dirty and dusty..i think most of those stores are fronts for
"other" activities..at least they are in my area...ive yet to see anyone
going in to shop.

KROM