Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tuna Casserole

That's what we're having for dinner, but a modified version due to our food
allergies.

When I was a kid, my mom used curly noodles, cream of mushroom soup, canned
peas and topped it with either crushed Saltines or Wavy potato chips.

I made it the same way sometimes, adding cheese and usually using frozen
peas, or sometimes using a white sauce instead of the cream of mushroom
soup. Always used the chips instead of Saltines and often varied the type
of noodle. I believe I made it once using only chips and no noodles.
Didn't care for that.

Tonight's casserole uses Quinoa elbows and the sauce is made of fresh
mushrooms, celery, parsley and onion finely minced, cooked down and
thickened with a bit of sweet rice flour and seasoned with Herbamare and
freshly ground black pepper. Used Albacore from a pouch and frozen peas.
Didn't bake it with the chips on top because there will be leftovers and I
hate soggy chips. Instead I just threw some whole chips on each serving for
garnish. So far this is the best version I've come up with that mimics what
I had as a child.

How do you make your tuna casserole? Assuming you make it, that is...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> That's what we're having for dinner, but a modified version due to our

food
> allergies.
>
> When I was a kid, my mom used curly noodles, cream of mushroom soup,

canned
> peas and topped it with either crushed Saltines or Wavy potato chips.
>
> I made it the same way sometimes, adding cheese and usually using frozen
> peas, or sometimes using a white sauce instead of the cream of mushroom
> soup. Always used the chips instead of Saltines and often varied the type
> of noodle. I believe I made it once using only chips and no noodles.
> Didn't care for that.
>
> Tonight's casserole uses Quinoa elbows and the sauce is made of fresh
> mushrooms, celery, parsley and onion finely minced, cooked down and
> thickened with a bit of sweet rice flour and seasoned with Herbamare and
> freshly ground black pepper. Used Albacore from a pouch and frozen peas.
> Didn't bake it with the chips on top because there will be leftovers and I
> hate soggy chips. Instead I just threw some whole chips on each serving

for
> garnish. So far this is the best version I've come up with that mimics

what
> I had as a child.
>
> How do you make your tuna casserole? Assuming you make it, that is...

Oh my, I haven't made it in decades. I know what's for dinner now. I made
it just like your mom's recipe. Identical. Sometimes I'd use julienned
carrots for a little extra sweetness. And Ruffles potato chips on top.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message

> White sauce with some minced onions and garlic sauteed in the butter
> before making the roux, add cheddar and romano cheeses. I use either penne
> or celantani (preferable) and light tuna packed in water, well drained. I
> use buttered bread crumbs for a topping. Never any peas or chips.

Sounds good. I remember using buttered crumbs on something, but I can't
remember what.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tuna mac ... macaroni, white cheddar cheese, white tuna,
white wine vinegar, white pepper and olive oil.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Tuna mac ... macaroni, white cheddar cheese, white tuna,
> white wine vinegar, white pepper and olive oil.

Never thought of white wine vinegar.