Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Spinach Kugel

OK, Here is my spinach kugel direct from the shul cookbook I edited(also
contributed tns of recipes to), called Kosher Catskill Cooking. Not a low
carb book:-)

Spinach Kugel

20-24 oz frozen leaf sppinach (2 10 oz packs or 1 24 oz pack)
1 large onion thinly sliced(Vidalia or othr sweet is good)
4 oz mushrooms, thinly sliced
1-2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1-2 T olive oil
8 oz cottae cheese
3 eggs or 2 eggs +2 whites.( might try egg substitute is that is
important)
Freshly ground black pepper-to tste(I like lots!)
4-8 oz shredded sharp or exra sharp cheddar
Dollop of sour cream(optional)

Thaw and drain spinach and cut smaller, but don't chop. soft saute
onions, mushrooms and garlic in oil( I micrwave them). Mix with the
spinach. Beat eggs until frothy add cottage cheese, sour cream, if using,
and pepper. Mix into spinach mixture. Place in oiled and floured baking
dish and top with cheddar. Bake in a 350 F oven for about 25 minutesIf
you want the top browned, rais the oven temp near the end a cook a bit
longer. Serves 4 as a maincourse or 6-8 as a side dish. Serve hot and
fresh, rahter than reheated if possible.

You might try adding a chiffonade of fresh basil leaves to the mixture,
lthough not very authentic to Jewish kugel mking, it would taste very
good. The amounts are not writ in stone for this recipe, so you could add
ore vegetables or cotage cheese or sour cream if you like.

This was devised by me as a substitute for my mother's traditional dairy
lukshen kugel that she served for Shavuot.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Thank you. Printed and saved.

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> OK, Here is my spinach kugel direct from the shul cookbook I edited(also
> contributed tns of recipes to), called Kosher Catskill Cooking. Not a
> low carb book:-)
>
> Spinach Kugel
> [recipe saved and snipped}

Thanks Wendy. Emailed to my daughter in hopes that I'll get some. ;-)

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> OK, Here is my spinach kugel direct from the shul cookbook I edited(also
> contributed tns of recipes to), called Kosher Catskill Cooking. Not a low
> carb book:-)
>
> Spinach Kugel
>
> 20-24 oz frozen leaf sppinach (2 10 oz packs or 1 24 oz pack)
> 1 large onion thinly sliced(Vidalia or othr sweet is good)
> 4 oz mushrooms, thinly sliced
> 1-2 cloves garlic finely chopped
> 1-2 T olive oil
> 8 oz cottae cheese
> 3 eggs or 2 eggs +2 whites.( might try egg substitute is that is
> important)
> Freshly ground black pepper-to tste(I like lots!)
> 4-8 oz shredded sharp or exra sharp cheddar
> Dollop of sour cream(optional)
>
> Thaw and drain spinach and cut smaller, but don't chop. soft saute
> onions, mushrooms and garlic in oil( I micrwave them). Mix with the
> spinach. Beat eggs until frothy add cottage cheese, sour cream, if using,
> and pepper. Mix into spinach mixture. Place in oiled and floured baking
> dish and top with cheddar. Bake in a 350 F oven for about 25 minutesIf
> you want the top browned, rais the oven temp near the end a cook a bit
> longer. Serves 4 as a maincourse or 6-8 as a side dish. Serve hot and
> fresh, rahter than reheated if possible.
>
> You might try adding a chiffonade of fresh basil leaves to the mixture,
> lthough not very authentic to Jewish kugel mking, it would taste very
> good. The amounts are not writ in stone for this recipe, so you could add
> ore vegetables or cotage cheese or sour cream if you like.
>
> This was devised by me as a substitute for my mother's traditional dairy
> lukshen kugel that she served for Shavuot.
>
> Wendy

Thank you, Wendy. It looks delicious. I saved the recipe.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation

Spinach Kugel Report W. Baker Diabetic 3 10-06-2008 05:25 AM
Apple Kugel chefrwmiller Recipes (moderated) 0 18-11-2006 01:14 AM
Kugel Oh Deer Recipes (moderated) 0 07-12-2005 04:51 AM
NYT KUGEL Sheldon General Cooking 1 28-09-2005 09:26 PM
Noodle Kugel Tim Bowley Recipes (moderated) 0 13-04-2005 04:52 AM