Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Spinach Kugel

OK, Here is my spinach kugel direct from the shul cookbook I edited(also
contributed tns of recipes to), called Kosher Catskill Cooking. Not a low
carb book:-)

Spinach Kugel

20-24 oz frozen leaf sppinach (2 10 oz packs or 1 24 oz pack)
1 large onion thinly sliced(Vidalia or othr sweet is good)
4 oz mushrooms, thinly sliced
1-2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1-2 T olive oil
8 oz cottae cheese
3 eggs or 2 eggs +2 whites.( might try egg substitute is that is
important)
Freshly ground black pepper-to tste(I like lots!)
4-8 oz shredded sharp or exra sharp cheddar
Dollop of sour cream(optional)

Thaw and drain spinach and cut smaller, but don't chop. soft saute
onions, mushrooms and garlic in oil( I micrwave them). Mix with the
spinach. Beat eggs until frothy add cottage cheese, sour cream, if using,
and pepper. Mix into spinach mixture. Place in oiled and floured baking
dish and top with cheddar. Bake in a 350 F oven for about 25 minutesIf
you want the top browned, rais the oven temp near the end a cook a bit
longer. Serves 4 as a maincourse or 6-8 as a side dish. Serve hot and
fresh, rahter than reheated if possible.

You might try adding a chiffonade of fresh basil leaves to the mixture,
lthough not very authentic to Jewish kugel mking, it would taste very
good. The amounts are not writ in stone for this recipe, so you could add
ore vegetables or cotage cheese or sour cream if you like.

This was devised by me as a substitute for my mother's traditional dairy
lukshen kugel that she served for Shavuot.

Wendy