Old 01-03-2008, 03:24 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Meatloaf

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message
news

Ozgirl wrote in message ...
You led him to water, he refused to drink, choosing to remain snug

(and smug) in the square
of the sheep followers. Sad, but he can't be helped.

Now.. back to meatloaf

Mmmmmmm, now I'm thinking of lamb. :-)

Lamb meatloaf - ok rosemary and a home made mint sauce.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:45 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
: What do you put in yours? All of the recipes I've seen call for an egg or
: two and we have an egg allergy. Some call for milk. We have a dairy
: allergy. I came up with a recipe that kinda sorta works, but I make it into
: small loaves because it doesn't seem to hold together so well for slicing.

: I am a bit confused because last night I was talking to a man who says he
: stopped putting egg in his a long time ago. I thought it was the egg that
: holds it together. But maybe it is the crumbs or oatmeal that holds it
: together? But then people here say they don't use that either.

: I loosely followed a recipe that called for 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef, 1/4
: onion chopped, 3/4 cup rolled oats, 8 oz. tomato juice, salt pepper and an
: egg.

: I subbed in a generous amount of flax for the egg. I didn't add water as I
: normally would to do an egg sub because I added a ton of veggies to the mix.
: Used a large onion instead of 1/4 of an onion. About 1 1/2 cups of
: zucchini, two big handfuls of spinach, couple of large tomatoes with the
: seeds removed, a few sliced green onions. This stuff was all finely chopped
: in the food processor. I then emptied it out and whizzed in the oats and
: let them soak in the veggies and juice. I read to do this somewhere. The
: flax went in at this time too. Instead of tomato juice I used a bottle of
: organic vegetable juice. It was rather thick and according to my husband,
: chunky. Didn't look like enough juice so I added a small can of tomato
: juice. And a few squirts of One Carb ketchup for extra flavor. I also used
: about 2 1/2 pounds of ground beef. And I added oregano because some people
: who tested the recipe said to do that for added flavor. This resulted in 9
: generously sized mini meatloaves that I topped with a small jar of thick,
: homemade (not by me) chili sauce.

: I mixed this up last night and put it in a bag in the fridge. By the time I
: took it out, there was a lot of liquid in the bag. I am thinking the
: tomatoes were not a good thing to add. Perhaps I should have gone with
: peppers and mushrooms? At any rate, I added what I had in my veggie bin
: that needed to be used up.

: They are baking and just about done. They smell wonderful but I just
: spooned off almost a cup of watery stuff from them. I don't think there was
: much grease in there. I used really lean meat. Most likely it is juice
: from the vegetables.

: So does anyone see a way I can improve this? I have made this before and it
: does taste good and isn't too carby for me but it would be nice if I could
: make it lower in carbs still. I just fear that if I leave out the oatmeal
: entirely I will have something that is too solid in texture and not like a
: meatloaf. My mom makes a really good meatloaf but she doesn't put
: vegetables in hers aside from onion. She also puts bacon on top which I
: find a little strange, and it's a little too high in carbs for me. She uses
: gluten free bread or crackers made into crumbs. I would like to be able to
: make a large loaf or two so it can be eaten cold in sandwiches.

When I cok my no crumbs meatloaf, ig gets very watery looking for quite a
while but if I leave it i the oven lond enoughthe liquid evaporates
leaving a kind of rotein gel arond the meat which I think of gravy.

Wendy
Old 01-03-2008, 04:25 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Aw darn. I was hoping for a pic of a meatloaf.

There ya go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meat_Loaf

Hahahaha. I forgot about him!

Old 01-03-2008, 04:30 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message

When I cok my no crumbs meatloaf, ig gets very watery looking for quite a
while but if I leave it i the oven lond enoughthe liquid evaporates
leaving a kind of rotein gel arond the meat which I think of gravy.

Perhaps that's what I should have done then. I remember in the old days I
had to drain it, but what I was draining off was a lot of fat. These days I
only buy really lean meat.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:44 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn Ruut wrote in message

I think you have it right. He is just so attached to his way of

eating
that anyone who suggests anything otherwise is just automatically

discounted
in his mind. That and the fact he seems to be a jerk.....

--
Best Regards,

Evelyn

LOL Evelyn, I reckon that pretty much cuts through it. :-)

Cheri

Old 01-03-2008, 12:15 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 11:25:41 +1100, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Aw darn. I was hoping for a pic of a meatloaf.

There ya go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meat_Loaf

I've often wondered if he was one of our lot. Is he?

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
Latest: The Quality of ADA Dietary Advice
Old 01-03-2008, 12:27 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Aw darn. I was hoping for a pic of a meatloaf.

There ya go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meat_Loaf

I've often wondered if he was one of our lot. Is he?

Replying to myself.
He is.

More on Meatloaf and diabetes he
http://www.diabeticlive.com/articles...es/Page21.html
It was a passing thought when I recently saw Rocky Horror
Picture Show again, but I'm not surprised. I presume you
guys already knew.

Someone send him a copy of test, test, test.

Meatloaf Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 29 13-11-2013 11:34 PM
REC - Meatloaf Damsel in dis Dress[_6_] General Cooking 57 11-01-2009 09:50 PM
Meatloaf Travis and Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 15-03-2006 08:31 AM
Meatloaf kimmy Recipes (moderated) 0 13-04-2005 05:07 AM