Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Meatloaf

I'm making meatloaf tonight as soon as the meat thaws and I can grind
it, but the recent impossible cheeseburger pie has me thinking of an idea.

I loved the onions baked into the crust that the bisquik formed in the
impossible pie, so I was thinking about layering caramelized onions in
the bottom of the pan I'm cooking the meatloaf in and pouring a small
amount of batter in before laying in the formed meatloaf, but that
started not appealing to me. But the layer of onions does. So rather
than mix the onions into the meat mix, I'm going to layer the bottom of
the pan with onions as planned and skip the batter. If it works as I
think it will, when I remove the meatloaf from the pan it will have a
layer of cooked onion on the bottom ... or the top if I flip it.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I'm making meatloaf tonight as soon as the meat thaws and I can grind
> it, but the recent impossible cheeseburger pie has me thinking of an
> idea.
>
> I loved the onions baked into the crust that the bisquik formed in
> the impossible pie, so I was thinking about layering caramelized
> onions in the bottom of the pan I'm cooking the meatloaf in and
> pouring a small amount of batter in before laying in the formed
> meatloaf, but that started not appealing to me. But the layer of
> onions does. So rather than mix the onions into the meat mix, I'm
> going to layer the bottom of the pan with onions as planned and skip
> the batter. If it works as I think it will, when I remove the
> meatloaf from the pan it will have a layer of cooked onion on the
> bottom ... or the top if I flip it.

Once they've cooked much they will not adhere if you flip it but the
bottom ones will be there and you can use the ones to the side as a
topping with a bit of gravey.

BTW, been off the newsgroups lately but still alive (grin).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/9/2013 6:30 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Cheryl wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> I'm making meatloaf tonight as soon as the meat thaws and I can grind
>> it, but the recent impossible cheeseburger pie has me thinking of an
>> idea.
>>
>> I loved the onions baked into the crust that the bisquik formed in
>> the impossible pie, so I was thinking about layering caramelized
>> onions in the bottom of the pan I'm cooking the meatloaf in and
>> pouring a small amount of batter in before laying in the formed
>> meatloaf, but that started not appealing to me. But the layer of
>> onions does. So rather than mix the onions into the meat mix, I'm
>> going to layer the bottom of the pan with onions as planned and skip
>> the batter. If it works as I think it will, when I remove the
>> meatloaf from the pan it will have a layer of cooked onion on the
>> bottom ... or the top if I flip it.

> Once they've cooked much they will not adhere if you flip it but the
> bottom ones will be there and you can use the ones to the side as a
> topping with a bit of gravey.
>
> BTW, been off the newsgroups lately but still alive (grin).

Good to see you Carol. Changed plans again, which is often the case
when I'm winging it. I decided to put cheddar cheese in the middle of
the meatloaf and will just top it with the onions instead.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/9/2013 5:13 PM, Cheryl wrote:

> I'm making meatloaf tonight as soon as the meat thaws and I can grind
> it, but the recent impossible cheeseburger pie has me thinking of an idea.
>
> I loved the onions baked into the crust that the bisquik formed in the
> impossible pie, so I was thinking about layering caramelized onions in
> the bottom of the pan I'm cooking the meatloaf in and pouring a small
> amount of batter in before laying in the formed meatloaf, but that
> started not appealing to me. But the layer of onions does. So rather
> than mix the onions into the meat mix, I'm going to layer the bottom of
> the pan with onions as planned and skip the batter. If it works as I
> think it will, when I remove the meatloaf from the pan it will have a
> layer of cooked onion on the bottom ... or the top if I flip it.

Broccoli steamed beautifully
http://i43.tinypic.com/2nlr8ew.jpg

Meatloaf covered with onions before cooking
http://i39.tinypic.com/10f6s6o.jpg

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Nov 2013 17:30:01 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

> BTW, been off the newsgroups lately but still alive (grin).

Welcome back - hopefully you've been AWOL because you've been busy and
because of your back.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message

> BTW, been off the newsgroups lately but still alive (grin).

Yes! I had been thinking I hadn't seen you around! Hope all is well?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Nov 2013 22:07:06 -0800, sf > wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Nov 2013 17:30:01 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > BTW, been off the newsgroups lately but still alive (grin).
> >

> Welcome back - hopefully you've been AWOL because you've been busy and
> because of your back.

That should read: and NOT because of your back. Sorry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sat, 09 Nov 2013 17:30:01 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > BTW, been off the newsgroups lately but still alive (grin).
> >

> Welcome back - hopefully you've been AWOL because you've been busy and
> because of your back.

Mostly busy and doing other things. Back the same as ever which means
not really any worse (good thing in my case!).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
>sf wrote:
>>cshenk wrote:
>>
>> > BTW, been off the newsgroups lately but still alive (grin).
>> >

>> Welcome back - hopefully you've been AWOL because you've been busy and
>> because of your back.

>Mostly busy and doing other things.

So you're slumming. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sat, 09 Nov 2013 17:30:01 -0600, cshenk wrote:
>
> > BTW, been off the newsgroups lately but still alive (grin).

> Glad to see you're still alive and kicking, Carol! (too may people
> aren't). Stick around - And don't forget that Facebook group either
> (just don't tell Sheldon, psssstt).
>
> -sw

LOL, I don't do facebook at all. Yeah, nice to see everyone!

I got a new to me breadmaker BTW! Its a cheap sort unlike my normal
but it came well recommended and I'm happy with it. West Bend brand.
I'm stil tweaking recipes a bit for it as it likes more water than
standard but it's not too far off.

I just made up some rolls for small sandwich fillings. Dough setting.
They are doing the second rise now in the oven with just the light
turned on. I'll pull out once risen and brush with either egg or
butter while pre-heating the oven then bake at 400F for 15 mins and
check.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>
> > BTW, been off the newsgroups lately but still alive (grin).

> Yes! I had been thinking I hadn't seen you around! Hope all is well?

I'm fine! Just got into other stuff for a bit. Got to thinking about
here and realized I'd not checked in for a long time.

Sheldon's post on the pot roast he had reminded me how many timesi'd
just get an idea from here and run off to make something. Last night
it was a simple pot roast stew.

1 cut slab of pot roast, about 2 inches thick
3 medium potatoes, quartered
4 small peeled carrots, peeled and chopped to 1/2 inch
1/2 a medium chopped onion
2 cups beef broth

I put the meat at the top of the crock pot still frozen and turned up
to high for 2 hours then down to low for the rest of the night. At
about 6 hours cooking, Don was very happy with this basic not too fancy
dish served with fresh bread. It was even better by breakfast and
tonight we will munch up the rest of it.

The remaining broth and veggies will become the base for a veggie beef
soup with cooked noodles added at serving time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>>
>> > BTW, been off the newsgroups lately but still alive (grin).

>> Yes! I had been thinking I hadn't seen you around! Hope all is well?

> I'm fine! Just got into other stuff for a bit. Got to thinking about
> here and realized I'd not checked in for a long time.
>
> Sheldon's post on the pot roast he had reminded me how many timesi'd
> just get an idea from here and run off to make something. Last night
> it was a simple pot roast stew.
>
> 1 cut slab of pot roast, about 2 inches thick
> 3 medium potatoes, quartered
> 4 small peeled carrots, peeled and chopped to 1/2 inch
> 1/2 a medium chopped onion
> 2 cups beef broth
>
> I put the meat at the top of the crock pot still frozen and turned up
> to high for 2 hours then down to low for the rest of the night. At
> about 6 hours cooking, Don was very happy with this basic not too fancy
> dish served with fresh bread. It was even better by breakfast and
> tonight we will munch up the rest of it.
>
> The remaining broth and veggies will become the base for a veggie beef
> soup with cooked noodles added at serving time.

When you say you "put the meat at the top of the crock pot" I am assuming
you mean on top of veggies?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> > I loved the onions baked into the crust that the bisquik formed in the

> > impossible pie, so I was thinking about layering caramelized onions in

> > the bottom of the pan I'm cooking the meatloaf in and pouring a small

> > amount of batter in before laying in the formed meatloaf, but that

> > started not appealing to me. But the layer of onions does. So rather

> > than mix the onions into the meat mix, I'm going to layer the bottom of

> > the pan with onions as planned and skip the batter. If it works as I

> > think it will, when I remove the meatloaf from the pan it will have a

> > layer of cooked onion on the bottom ... or the top if I flip it.

> I'm to late to help you!
>

> But you were right that you can't *possibly* batter or enrobe the
>
> underside of a meatloaf.

Battering the bottom of a meatloaf would never work, as the juices would leave the meat as it cooked and whatever batter crust you did get would be greasy and not very edible.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> cshenk wrote:
> > sf wrote:

> >> Welcome back - hopefully you've been AWOL because you've been busy

> and >> because of your back.
> >
> > Mostly busy and doing other things.

> So you're slumming. LOL

Hehe it you call talking to you that, then so be it!

Grin, actually i missed you.

Off to go butter the bread tops then bake them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message

> > > Yes! I had been thinking I hadn't seen you around! Hope all is
> > > well?

> > I'm fine! Just got into other stuff for a bit. Got to thinking
> > about here and realized I'd not checked in for a long time.
> >
> > Sheldon's post on the pot roast he had reminded me how many timesi'd
> > just get an idea from here and run off to make something. Last
> > night it was a simple pot roast stew.
> >
> > 1 cut slab of pot roast, about 2 inches thick
> > 3 medium potatoes, quartered
> > 4 small peeled carrots, peeled and chopped to 1/2 inch
> > 1/2 a medium chopped onion
> > 2 cups beef broth
> >
> > I put the meat at the top of the crock pot still frozen and turned
> > up to high for 2 hours then down to low for the rest of the night.
> > At about 6 hours cooking, Don was very happy with this basic not
> > too fancy dish served with fresh bread. It was even better by
> > breakfast and tonight we will munch up the rest of it.
> >
> > The remaining broth and veggies will become the base for a veggie
> > beef soup with cooked noodles added at serving time.

> When you say you "put the meat at the top of the crock pot" I am
> assuming you mean on top of veggies?

Yes, that's how I do it. Basically it starts above the liquids. As
the crockpot heats, it starts to steam the meat above the veggies and
fat drips down but not so much as to make a dry hunk of meat. It's the
low-slow cooking part that isnt the same as a stove top method.

The second dish of the remaining broth is essentially meat free as
we'll have eaten that last bit (or Don will when he gets home, he asked
me to save him some for dinner). That second dish will be a beef soup
with veggies for lunch tomorrow. Should go nicely with the small rolls
i have baking now.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message

>> When you say you "put the meat at the top of the crock pot" I am
>> assuming you mean on top of veggies?

> Yes, that's how I do it. Basically it starts above the liquids. As
> the crockpot heats, it starts to steam the meat above the veggies and
> fat drips down but not so much as to make a dry hunk of meat. It's the
> low-slow cooking part that isnt the same as a stove top method.
>
> The second dish of the remaining broth is essentially meat free as
> we'll have eaten that last bit (or Don will when he gets home, he asked
> me to save him some for dinner). That second dish will be a beef soup
> with veggies for lunch tomorrow. Should go nicely with the small rolls
> i have baking now.

That's interesting, thanks!
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 17:08:16 -0600, cshenk wrote:
>
> > Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >> Glad to see you're still alive and kicking, Carol! (too may people
> >> aren't). Stick around - And don't forget that Facebook group

> either >> (just don't tell Sheldon, psssstt).
> >
> > LOL, I don't do facebook at all. Yeah, nice to see everyone!

> You used to, right? You had an avatar of a military insignia of some
> sort (Marines, IIRC?).
>
> -sw

Nope! Sorry!

Carol, USN Ret

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 15:04:07 -0600, cshenk wrote:
>
> > Sqwertz wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> people >>>> aren't). Stick around - And don't forget that Facebook
> group >> either >> (just don't tell Sheldon, psssstt).

> >> You used to, right? You had an avatar of a military insignia of

> some >> sort (Marines, IIRC?).
> >
> > Nope! Sorry!

> Then it must have been another Carol S who was using the US Navy
> Anchor insignia/emblem as their profile picture...
>
> -sw

You'd have to go back to 2007 to see me on facebook. It was a very
limited time and gone shortly after that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> Meatloaf covered with onions before cooking
> http://i39.tinypic.com/10f6s6o.jpg

Looks tasty, Cheryl.

You cooked those onions before cooking the meatloaf. I don't think
that was necessary. I like your idea of cooking on a bed of onions but
I *really* like onions and I would have supersized that to about 3-4
more times the onion. eheheh

I would also still put some *in* the meatloaf. Just my opinion
though. I'm sure yours was tasty. It's hard to screw up a meatloaf.

The next time I make a meatloaf, I guarantee you it won't be a one
pound one. hahahah (oh HI cshank and sf).

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 14:32:34 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Cheryl wrote:
>>
>> Meatloaf covered with onions before cooking
>> http://i39.tinypic.com/10f6s6o.jpg

>Looks tasty, Cheryl.
>
>You cooked those onions before cooking the meatloaf. I don't think
>that was necessary. I like your idea of cooking on a bed of onions but
>I *really* like onions and I would have supersized that to about 3-4
>more times the onion. eheheh
>
>I would also still put some *in* the meatloaf. Just my opinion
>though. I'm sure yours was tasty. It's hard to screw up a meatloaf.
>
>The next time I make a meatloaf, I guarantee you it won't be a one
>pound one. hahahah (oh HI cshank and sf).
>
>G.

Yeah, it looks like it will taste good but it's really just a healthy
burger... looks too small to qualify as a *loaf*. I never use less
than five pounds of meat in my meat loafs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 09 Nov 2013 17:13:56 -0500, Cheryl wrote:
>
>> I'm making meatloaf tonight as soon as the meat thaws and I can grind
>> it, but the recent impossible cheeseburger pie has me thinking of an
>> idea.
>>
>> I loved the onions baked into the crust that the bisquik formed in the
>> impossible pie, so I was thinking about layering caramelized onions in
>> the bottom of the pan I'm cooking the meatloaf in and pouring a small
>> amount of batter in before laying in the formed meatloaf, but that
>> started not appealing to me. But the layer of onions does. So rather
>> than mix the onions into the meat mix, I'm going to layer the bottom of
>> the pan with onions as planned and skip the batter. If it works as I
>> think it will, when I remove the meatloaf from the pan it will have a
>> layer of cooked onion on the bottom ... or the top if I flip it.

> I'm to late to help you!
>
> But you were right that you can't *possibly* batter or enrobe the
> underside of a meatloaf.
>
> -sw

Meatloaf en cruet. It can be done. Perhaps not on this group, though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 3:52:27 PM UTC-5, Pico Rico wrote:

> Meatloaf en cruet. It can be done. Perhaps not on this group, though.

Sounds horrible. You need a very good cut of
meat, preferably filet, for en cruet.

http;//www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Helpful person" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 3:52:27 PM UTC-5, Pico Rico wrote:
>>
>> Meatloaf en cruet. It can be done. Perhaps not on this group, though.

> Sounds horrible. You need a very good cut of
> meat, preferably filet, for en cruet.

or a pate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-13 3:52 PM, Pico Rico wrote:

>> But you were right that you can't *possibly* batter or enrobe the
>> underside of a meatloaf.
>>
>> -sw

> Meatloaf en cruet. It can be done. Perhaps not on this group, though.

Meatloaf in a vinegar bottle?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Helpful person" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 3:52:27 PM UTC-5, Pico Rico wrote:
>>
>> Meatloaf en cruet. It can be done. Perhaps not on this group, though.

> Sounds horrible. You need a very good cut of
> meat, preferably filet, for en cruet.

*puzzled here* does he mean en croûte?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2013-11-13 3:52 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
>
>>> But you were right that you can't *possibly* batter or enrobe the
>>> underside of a meatloaf.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Meatloaf en cruet. It can be done. Perhaps not on this group, though.
>>

> Meatloaf in a vinegar bottle?

or, for the German version, Meatloaf en Kraut.

REC - Meatloaf Damsel in dis Dress[_6_] General Cooking 57 11-01-2009 08:50 PM
Meatloaf Julie Bove Diabetic 36 01-03-2008 11:27 AM
Meatloaf Travis and Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 15-03-2006 07:31 AM
Meatloaf kimmy Recipes (moderated) 0 13-04-2005 05:07 AM