Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Diabetic Bread

2 1/14 - 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup grated fat-free Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 package fast-rising active dry yeast
1 1/4 cups very hot water (125-130 degrees)
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 ounces reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup coarsely chopped roasted red pepper
1 egg white, beaten
2 teaspoons water
Italian seasoning
1. Combine 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, Parmesan
cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, and yeast in large bowl; add water
and oil, mixing until smooth. Mix in mozzarella cheese and red pepper;
mix in enough remaining 1/2 cup all-purpose flour to make smooth
dough.
2. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 5
minutes. Place dough in greased bowl; let rise, covered, in warm place
until double in size, about 30 minutes. Punch dough down.
3. Divide dough into 2 equal pieces. Shape each into loaf and place in
greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan, or shape into round or long loaf on
greased cookie sheets. Let stand, covered, until double in size, about
30 minutes.
4. Slash top of loaves with sharp knife. Mix egg white and water;
brush over dough and sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Bake at 375
degrees until loaves are golden and sound hollow when tapped, 35 to 40
minutes. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks
Cookbook: 1001 Delicious Recipes for People with Diabetes,Linda Eugene
CDE

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Why would you call this *diabetic* bread? It's clearly regular bread.

Cheri

Anna wrote in message ...

>2 1/14 - 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
>3/4 cup whole wheat flour
>1/4 cup grated fat-free Parmesan cheese
>1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
>1/2 teaspoon salt
>1 package fast-rising active dry yeast
>1 1/4 cups very hot water (125-130 degrees)
>1 tablespoon olive oil
>4 ounces reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
>1/2 cup coarsely chopped roasted red pepper
>1 egg white, beaten
>2 teaspoons water
>Italian seasoning
>1. Combine 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, Parmesan
>cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, and yeast in large bowl; add water
>and oil, mixing until smooth. Mix in mozzarella cheese and red

pepper;
>mix in enough remaining 1/2 cup all-purpose flour to make smooth
>dough.
>2. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 5
>minutes. Place dough in greased bowl; let rise, covered, in warm

place
>until double in size, about 30 minutes. Punch dough down.
>3. Divide dough into 2 equal pieces. Shape each into loaf and place

in
>greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan, or shape into round or long loaf on
>greased cookie sheets. Let stand, covered, until double in size,

about
>30 minutes.
>4. Slash top of loaves with sharp knife. Mix egg white and water;
>brush over dough and sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Bake at 375
>degrees until loaves are golden and sound hollow when tapped, 35 to

40
>minutes. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks
>Cookbook: 1001 Delicious Recipes for People with Diabetes,Linda

Eugene
>CDE

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Anna" > wrote in message

> 2 1/14 - 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
> 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
> 1/4 cup grated fat-free Parmesan cheese
> 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1 package fast-rising active dry yeast
> 1 1/4 cups very hot water (125-130 degrees)
> 1 tablespoon olive oil
> 4 ounces reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
> 1/2 cup coarsely chopped roasted red pepper
> 1 egg white, beaten
> 2 teaspoons water
> Italian seasoning
> 1. Combine 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, Parmesan
> cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, and yeast in large bowl; add water
> and oil, mixing until smooth. Mix in mozzarella cheese and red pepper;
> mix in enough remaining 1/2 cup all-purpose flour to make smooth
> dough.
> 2. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 5
> minutes. Place dough in greased bowl; let rise, covered, in warm place
> until double in size, about 30 minutes. Punch dough down.
> 3. Divide dough into 2 equal pieces. Shape each into loaf and place in
> greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan, or shape into round or long loaf on
> greased cookie sheets. Let stand, covered, until double in size, about
> 30 minutes.
> 4. Slash top of loaves with sharp knife. Mix egg white and water;
> brush over dough and sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Bake at 375
> degrees until loaves are golden and sound hollow when tapped, 35 to 40
> minutes. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks
> Cookbook: 1001 Delicious Recipes for People with Diabetes,Linda Eugene
> CDE

How in the world is that diabetic?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message
> Why would you call this *diabetic* bread? It's clearly regular bread.

It did use reduced fat and fat free cheese. I don't know why they bothered
though since they put olive oil in it. That's the only reason I could
figure why they could get away with calling it diabetic. Watch that fat!
Eat those carbs! Recipe looked nasty.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article <8yEdj.6688$oh5.2204@trndny08>,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Anna" > wrote in message
> >

> > 2 1/14 - 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
> > 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
> > 1/4 cup grated fat-free Parmesan cheese
> > 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
> > 1/2 teaspoon salt
> > 1 package fast-rising active dry yeast
> > 1 1/4 cups very hot water (125-130 degrees)
> > 1 tablespoon olive oil
> > 4 ounces reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
> > 1/2 cup coarsely chopped roasted red pepper
> > 1 egg white, beaten
> > 2 teaspoons water
> > Italian seasoning
> > 1. Combine 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, Parmesan
> > cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, and yeast in large bowl; add water
> > and oil, mixing until smooth. Mix in mozzarella cheese and red pepper;
> > mix in enough remaining 1/2 cup all-purpose flour to make smooth
> > dough.
> > 2. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 5
> > minutes. Place dough in greased bowl; let rise, covered, in warm place
> > until double in size, about 30 minutes. Punch dough down.
> > 3. Divide dough into 2 equal pieces. Shape each into loaf and place in
> > greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan, or shape into round or long loaf on
> > greased cookie sheets. Let stand, covered, until double in size, about
> > 30 minutes.
> > 4. Slash top of loaves with sharp knife. Mix egg white and water;
> > brush over dough and sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Bake at 375
> > degrees until loaves are golden and sound hollow when tapped, 35 to 40
> > minutes. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks
> > Cookbook: 1001 Delicious Recipes for People with Diabetes,Linda Eugene
> > CDE

> How in the world is that diabetic?

It's in a cookbook for diabetics.

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 18:18:54 -0900, Anna >
wrote:

>2 1/14 - 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
>3/4 cup whole wheat flour

Diabetic??!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message
>> Why would you call this *diabetic* bread? It's clearly regular bread.

> It did use reduced fat and fat free cheese. I don't know why they
> bothered though since they put olive oil in it. That's the only reason I
> could figure why they could get away with calling it diabetic. Watch that
> fat! Eat those carbs! Recipe looked nasty.

Some people think that leaving out the sugar, and not the other carbs,
is enough for a diabetic recipe.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article <8yEdj.6688$oh5.2204@trndny08>,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Anna" > wrote in message
>> >

>> > 2 1/14 - 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
>> > 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
>> > 1/4 cup grated fat-free Parmesan cheese
>> > 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
>> > 1/2 teaspoon salt
>> > 1 package fast-rising active dry yeast
>> > 1 1/4 cups very hot water (125-130 degrees)
>> > 1 tablespoon olive oil
>> > 4 ounces reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
>> > 1/2 cup coarsely chopped roasted red pepper
>> > 1 egg white, beaten
>> > 2 teaspoons water
>> > Italian seasoning
>> > 1. Combine 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, Parmesan
>> > cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, and yeast in large bowl; add water
>> > and oil, mixing until smooth. Mix in mozzarella cheese and red pepper;
>> > mix in enough remaining 1/2 cup all-purpose flour to make smooth
>> > dough.
>> > 2. Knead dough on floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 5
>> > minutes. Place dough in greased bowl; let rise, covered, in warm place
>> > until double in size, about 30 minutes. Punch dough down.
>> > 3. Divide dough into 2 equal pieces. Shape each into loaf and place in
>> > greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan, or shape into round or long loaf on
>> > greased cookie sheets. Let stand, covered, until double in size, about
>> > 30 minutes.
>> > 4. Slash top of loaves with sharp knife. Mix egg white and water;
>> > brush over dough and sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Bake at 375
>> > degrees until loaves are golden and sound hollow when tapped, 35 to 40
>> > minutes. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks
>> > Cookbook: 1001 Delicious Recipes for People with Diabetes,Linda Eugene
>> > CDE

>> How in the world is that diabetic?

> It's in a cookbook for diabetics.

Sounds like you found a cookbook written with the mistaken idea that
leaving out the sugar, but not the other carbs, is enough to make a
recipe suitable for diabetics. Most diabetic cookbooks are written
that way.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 09:37:18 -0600, "Robert Miles"
> wrote:

>"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
>> In article <8yEdj.6688$oh5.2204@trndny08>,

>>> How in the world is that diabetic?

>> It's in a cookbook for diabetics.
>>

>Sounds like you found a cookbook written with the mistaken idea that
>leaving out the sugar, but not the other carbs, is enough to make a
>recipe suitable for diabetics. Most diabetic cookbooks are written
>that way.

I got this in my email. Please point out all the carbs beside
flour????? Diabetics do eat carbs. They are allowed 12 per day,
divided up among 3 meals and a snacks. I eat less than that. Not like
someone is going to sit down and eat the whole loaf of bread.
Apparently you have never talked with a nutritionist about a diet for
diabetics. They do not go without carbs in a day. Nutritionists frown
upon the Atkins diet which I think you are leaning toward with no
carbs.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Anna > wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 09:37:18 -0600, "Robert Miles"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Alice Faber" > wrote in message

> >> It's in a cookbook for diabetics.
> >>

> >Sounds like you found a cookbook written with the mistaken idea that
> >leaving out the sugar, but not the other carbs, is enough to make a
> >recipe suitable for diabetics. Most diabetic cookbooks are written
> >that way.

> I got this in my email. Please point out all the carbs beside
> flour????? Diabetics do eat carbs. They are allowed 12 per day,
> divided up among 3 meals and a snacks. I eat less than that. Not like
> someone is going to sit down and eat the whole loaf of bread.
> Apparently you have never talked with a nutritionist about a diet for
> diabetics. They do not go without carbs in a day. Nutritionists frown
> upon the Atkins diet which I think you are leaning toward with no
> carbs.

Oh, I eat plenty of carbs. I just don't eat much bread, certainly not
enough for it to be worth baking. My guide to what to eat is my blood
sugar level (and other lab work), not what some "expert" who isn't going
to suffer at all if I experience retinopathy, kidney disease, CAD, and
delayed stomach emptying as a result of eating too many carbs. The way I
see it, I have a broken metabolism that can't handle a high carb load;
therefore I don't ask it to handle a high carb load.

I have a bad cold, so I'm not eating the same way I normally do (how
appetizing something is plays a role, when appetite is depressed). In
any case, my carbs yesterday came from a low-carb wrap (flax meal and
oat bran as ingredients), a few slices of tomato, the barley in a bowl
of mushroom-barley soup (home-made), and two small pieces of chocolate.
On a more typical day, I'd have a few servings of some green vegetable
and some yoghurt, but neither sounds appetizing today; if I had an
orange around, I'd have eaten it, but I don't have the energy to go food
shopping (or the desire to sneeze all over the produce displays!).

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."
---BB cuts to the pith of a flame-fest

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Anna wrote in message ...
>Apparently you have never talked with a nutritionist about a diet for
>diabetics. They do not go without carbs in a day. Nutritionists frown
>upon the Atkins diet which I think you are leaning toward with no
>carbs.

Oh, I did talk to a nutritionist, twice. The reason I never talked to
her more than that is because of the carb content in her daily
recommended "diet." Who the Heck said "no carbs?" We do eat carbs,
just not empty carbs, and I still say...if you want to post a bread
recipe, that's fine, but listing it as diabetic bread is a joke.
Sorry, don't mean to be rude, but those are the facts m'aam. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Anna wrote:

> I got this in my email. Please point out all the carbs beside
> flour????? Diabetics do eat carbs. They are allowed 12 per day,
> divided up among 3 meals and a snacks. I eat less than that. Not like
> someone is going to sit down and eat the whole loaf of bread.
> Apparently you have never talked with a nutritionist about a diet for
> diabetics. They do not go without carbs in a day. Nutritionists frown
> upon the Atkins diet which I think you are leaning toward with no
> carbs.

Who is the "they" that are allowed "12" carbs per day?

I am assuming that the "12" are 12 carb counts of 15 grams each. That
might be a lot more than some people can handle. Each Diabetic should
have their own meal plan that has been formulated based upon their own
careful meter reading records. There is no "they"

While we appreciate your efforts to post here, please check your recipes
for carbohydrate count per serving and restrict your posting to recipes
that are less than 15 grams of carbs per serving. I think we could all
appreciate those.

Happy new year.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 12:10:33 -0500, Alice Faber >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Anna > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 09:37:18 -0600, "Robert Miles"
>> > wrote:

>> >Sounds like you found a cookbook written with the mistaken idea that
>> >leaving out the sugar, but not the other carbs, is enough to make a
>> >recipe suitable for diabetics. Most diabetic cookbooks are written
>> >that way.

>> I got this in my email. Please point out all the carbs beside
>> flour????? Diabetics do eat carbs. They are allowed 12 per day,
>> divided up among 3 meals and a snacks. I eat less than that. Not like
>> someone is going to sit down and eat the whole loaf of bread.
>> Apparently you have never talked with a nutritionist about a diet for
>> diabetics. They do not go without carbs in a day. Nutritionists frown
>> upon the Atkins diet which I think you are leaning toward with no
>> carbs.
>> >

>Oh, I eat plenty of carbs. I just don't eat much bread, certainly not
>enough for it to be worth baking. My guide to what to eat is my blood
>sugar level (and other lab work), not what some "expert" who isn't going
>to suffer at all if I experience retinopathy, kidney disease, CAD, and
>delayed stomach emptying as a result of eating too many carbs. The way I
>see it, I have a broken metabolism that can't handle a high carb load;
>therefore I don't ask it to handle a high carb load.
>
>I have a bad cold, so I'm not eating the same way I normally do (how
>appetizing something is plays a role, when appetite is depressed). In
>any case, my carbs yesterday came from a low-carb wrap (flax meal and
>oat bran as ingredients), a few slices of tomato, the barley in a bowl
>of mushroom-barley soup (home-made), and two small pieces of chocolate.
>On a more typical day, I'd have a few servings of some green vegetable
>and some yoghurt, but neither sounds appetizing today; if I had an
>orange around, I'd have eaten it, but I don't have the energy to go food
>shopping (or the desire to sneeze all over the produce displays!).

I hope you feel better. I know what it is like to have a cold and not
have anything sounding good. You food choices sound good.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 09:50:29 -0800, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom>
wrote:

>Anna wrote in message ...
>>Apparently you have never talked with a nutritionist about a diet for
>>diabetics. They do not go without carbs in a day. Nutritionists frown
>>upon the Atkins diet which I think you are leaning toward with no
>>carbs.

>Oh, I did talk to a nutritionist, twice. The reason I never talked to
>her more than that is because of the carb content in her daily
>recommended "diet." Who the Heck said "no carbs?" We do eat carbs,
>just not empty carbs, and I still say...if you want to post a bread
>recipe, that's fine, but listing it as diabetic bread is a joke.
>Sorry, don't mean to be rude, but those are the facts m'aam. :-)
>
>Cheri

I want to know where all these carbs are coming from beside the
flour???? This came from a nurse in my email. The flour is the only
carbs in this recipes. Are you going to sit and eat the whole loaf of
bread?? Are you a doctor, nurse or nutitrionist?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 12:17:32 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>Anna wrote:
>
>> I got this in my email. Please point out all the carbs beside
>> flour????? Diabetics do eat carbs. They are allowed 12 per day,
>> divided up among 3 meals and a snacks. I eat less than that. Not like
>> someone is going to sit down and eat the whole loaf of bread.
>> Apparently you have never talked with a nutritionist about a diet for
>> diabetics. They do not go without carbs in a day. Nutritionists frown
>> upon the Atkins diet which I think you are leaning toward with no
>> carbs.
>>

>Who is the "they" that are allowed "12" carbs per day?
>
>I am assuming that the "12" are 12 carb counts of 15 grams each. That
>might be a lot more than some people can handle. Each Diabetic should
>have their own meal plan that has been formulated based upon their own
>careful meter reading records. There is no "they"
>
>While we appreciate your efforts to post here, please check your recipes
>for carbohydrate count per serving and restrict your posting to recipes
>that are less than 15 grams of carbs per serving. I think we could all
>appreciate those.
>
>Happy new year.

The nutritionist I spoke with said 12 carbs a day.
YOU WILL NOT TELL ME WHAT I CAN POST HERE. No one is going to eat the
whole loaf of bread which is more than the 15 carbs you are bragging
about.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Anna wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 12:17:32 -0600, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> Anna wrote:
>>
>>> I got this in my email. Please point out all the carbs beside
>>> flour????? Diabetics do eat carbs. They are allowed 12 per day,
>>> divided up among 3 meals and a snacks. I eat less than that. Not like
>>> someone is going to sit down and eat the whole loaf of bread.
>>> Apparently you have never talked with a nutritionist about a diet for
>>> diabetics. They do not go without carbs in a day. Nutritionists frown
>>> upon the Atkins diet which I think you are leaning toward with no
>>> carbs.
>>>

>> Who is the "they" that are allowed "12" carbs per day?
>>
>> I am assuming that the "12" are 12 carb counts of 15 grams each. That
>> might be a lot more than some people can handle. Each Diabetic should
>> have their own meal plan that has been formulated based upon their own
>> careful meter reading records. There is no "they"
>>
>> While we appreciate your efforts to post here, please check your recipes
>> for carbohydrate count per serving and restrict your posting to recipes
>> that are less than 15 grams of carbs per serving. I think we could all
>> appreciate those.
>>
>> Happy new year.

> The nutritionist I spoke with said 12 carbs a day.
> YOU WILL NOT TELL ME WHAT I CAN POST HERE. No one is going to eat the
> whole loaf of bread which is more than the 15 carbs you are bragging
> about.

Honey, you need to calm down and learn the difference between 15 grams
of carbohydrates as a Diabetic "carb count" and the total amount of
carbs in a serving.

Your recipe, if it is "15" carbs for the whole loaf would be 15 times 15
grams or 225 grams of carbs. If the loaf came out to a total of 10
servings, it would be 22.5 grams of carbs for each serving, which is
more than your "one carb" Do you understand now?

The 12 "carbs" per day your nutritionist said you could eat equals a
total daily diet of 180 grams of carbohydrates per day. That might be
good for you (have you checked your meter 1 hour and 2 hours after
eating your meals??) but it is not good for other people who seriously
have to watch their carbohydrate intake.

Most people who have been serious about their Diabetes prefer to get
their carbohydrates from fruits, milk, nuts and vegetables and not
starches which don't come with a lot of vitamins or other nutritional
benefits.

I do hope that you are counting fruit, nuts and milk into your "12 carb
per day" diet. I also hope that you are checking your blood sugars so
that you can learn how those "12 carbs" are effecting your blood glucose.

If you are serious about staying well, you might consider calming down
and realizing that there are people on this group who have been living
with this disease for a long time and have learned to live with it
without suffering the evil side-effects.

Of course you can post whatever you want to this group. It's not
moderated, but you must also be prepared for those who have better
knowledge to comment on your posts.

Sorry you took offense at my post, but frankly, dear, your flooding of
Usenet with your recipes makes it look like you're just looking for
attention.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 11:00:35 -0900, Anna >
wrote:

>YOU WILL NOT TELL ME WHAT I CAN POST HERE.

VERY TRUE - but you can be an idiot from within my killfile.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Anna wrote in message ...

>I want to know where all these carbs are coming from beside the
>flour???? This came from a nurse in my email. The flour is the only
>carbs in this recipes. Are you going to sit and eat the whole loaf of
>bread?? Are you a doctor, nurse or nutitrionist?

Anna, I don't continue to pound my head against brick walls. Have it
your way, and a Happy New Year to you. BTW, yes...I am my own
nutritionist, my own doctor at times, and definitely my own nurse. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:39:57 +0000, Nicky >
wrote:

>On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 11:00:35 -0900, Anna >
>wrote:
>
>>YOU WILL NOT TELL ME WHAT I CAN POST HERE.

>VERY TRUE - but you can be an idiot from within my killfile.
>
>Nicky.
>T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
>D&E, 100ug thyroxine
>Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25

So this is where all the kewl kids are hanging out! Though I see it
isn't any quieter -- <hehe>

--
BlueBrooke
T2/D&E/June 2005
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Anna" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 09:37:18 -0600, "Robert Miles"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Alice Faber" > wrote in message

>>> It's in a cookbook for diabetics.
>>>

>>Sounds like you found a cookbook written with the mistaken idea that
>>leaving out the sugar, but not the other carbs, is enough to make a
>>recipe suitable for diabetics. Most diabetic cookbooks are written
>>that way.

> I got this in my email. Please point out all the carbs beside
> flour????? Diabetics do eat carbs. They are allowed 12 per day,
> divided up among 3 meals and a snacks. I eat less than that. Not like
> someone is going to sit down and eat the whole loaf of bread.
> Apparently you have never talked with a nutritionist about a diet for
> diabetics. They do not go without carbs in a day. Nutritionists frown
> upon the Atkins diet which I think you are leaning toward with no
> carbs.

OMG! Now I am LAUGHING! They are allowed 12 carbs per day? Do you mean 12
grams of carb? Or 12 servings of carb? And surely you could not be so
stupid as to think that we ALL can eat the same diet?

When I was pregnant, the dietician told me to aim for 13 servings per day,
of carbs, but note that I do not drink milk. Under the carb category was
also milk and fruit. It was difficult for me to eat that much and I was
never able to.

Then when I was breast feeding, the dietician I saw said I should aim for 9
servings of carbs per day.

Then when I was through with the breast feeding, the dietician told me to
aim for 7 servings of carb per day. Again, milk and fruit are counted as
carbs.

So I haven't a clue where you are getting this weird notion of 12 carbs per
day. *shakes head*

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Anna" > wrote in message
news
> I want to know where all these carbs are coming from beside the
> flour???? This came from a nurse in my email. The flour is the only
> carbs in this recipes. Are you going to sit and eat the whole loaf of
> bread?? Are you a doctor, nurse or nutitrionist?

How did a nurse get in your e-mail? And do you know what a nurse told me to
eat when I was pregnant? Plenty of fruit and soup and cucumber sandwiches.
She said cucumber sandwiches were good to take to the beach because they
didn't need to be refrigerated. Gah!

Does there need to BE any more carbs than the flour? That is certainly a
lot of carbs in there. And I know plenty of people who can and do eat all
or most of a loaf of bread all by themselves. Used to be I baked bread. My
friends seemed to know when I was baking it. They'd show up with butter and
knives and wait till I turned my back. Suddenly, no more bread!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Anna" > wrote in message

> The nutritionist I spoke with said 12 carbs a day.
> YOU WILL NOT TELL ME WHAT I CAN POST HERE. No one is going to eat the
> whole loaf of bread which is more than the 15 carbs you are bragging
> about.

What makes you think no one will eat the whole loaf? Now granted I think
most of the people here are smart enough to be able to figure out their
diet. But I know plenty of people in my own life who if they think
something is good for them will eat the whole package, whole loaf, whole
whatever, all in one sitting. They reason if it is good for them they
should eat a lot of it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"BlueBrooke" <.@.> wrote in message
> On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 20:39:57 +0000, Nicky >
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 11:00:35 -0900, Anna >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>YOU WILL NOT TELL ME WHAT I CAN POST HERE.

>>VERY TRUE - but you can be an idiot from within my killfile.
>>
>>Nicky.
>>T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
>>D&E, 100ug thyroxine
>>Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25

> So this is where all the kewl kids are hanging out! Though I see it
> isn't any quieter -- <hehe>

lol, you got that right

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Anna > wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 12:17:32 -0600, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
> >Anna wrote:
> >
> >> I got this in my email. Please point out all the carbs beside
> >> flour????? Diabetics do eat carbs. They are allowed 12 per day,
> >> divided up among 3 meals and a snacks. I eat less than that. Not like
> >> someone is going to sit down and eat the whole loaf of bread.
> >> Apparently you have never talked with a nutritionist about a diet for
> >> diabetics. They do not go without carbs in a day. Nutritionists frown
> >> upon the Atkins diet which I think you are leaning toward with no
> >> carbs.
> >>

> >Who is the "they" that are allowed "12" carbs per day?
> >
> >I am assuming that the "12" are 12 carb counts of 15 grams each. That
> >might be a lot more than some people can handle. Each Diabetic should
> >have their own meal plan that has been formulated based upon their own
> >careful meter reading records. There is no "they"
> >
> >While we appreciate your efforts to post here, please check your recipes
> >for carbohydrate count per serving and restrict your posting to recipes
> >that are less than 15 grams of carbs per serving. I think we could all
> >appreciate those.
> >
> >Happy new year.

> The nutritionist I spoke with said 12 carbs a day.
> YOU WILL NOT TELL ME WHAT I CAN POST HERE. No one is going to eat the
> whole loaf of bread which is more than the 15 carbs you are bragging
> about.

Oh, dear. I smell a troll.

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Anna said...

> The nutritionist I spoke with said 12 carbs a day.
> YOU WILL NOT TELL ME WHAT I CAN POST HERE. No one is going to eat the
> whole loaf of bread which is more than the 15 carbs you are bragging

12 carbs? Now we're only talking bread here, right?

I eat hundreds of complex carbs a day for the calorie value in the form of
two slices of Milton's whole grain bread.

I eat next to no simple sugars.

I'm in the pretty normal range. 14 day avg 121 mg/dl (where my normal
control is 123-125 mg/dl). But I'm falling way short on calories and
micronutrients according to my diet software. So I'm losing weight but I
can't explain it and nobody's explained it to me either. Doc just says
whole grain and brown rice, etc.

But we're talking bread.

I would probably be better served by consulting with a real nutritionist
(which to me is a joke) if I could afford one.

Andy

--
All Posts Blocked From: @yahoo|@gmail|@hotmail

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 02:27:50 -0600, "Andy <q>" <q> wrote:

>Anna said...
>
>> The nutritionist I spoke with said 12 carbs a day.
>> YOU WILL NOT TELL ME WHAT I CAN POST HERE. No one is going to eat the
>> whole loaf of bread which is more than the 15 carbs you are bragging

>12 carbs? Now we're only talking bread here, right?
>
>I eat hundreds of complex carbs a day for the calorie value in the form of
>two slices of Milton's whole grain bread.
>
>I eat next to no simple sugars.
>
>I'm in the pretty normal range. 14 day avg 121 mg/dl (where my normal
>control is 123-125 mg/dl). But I'm falling way short on calories and
>micronutrients according to my diet software. So I'm losing weight but I
>can't explain it and nobody's explained it to me either. Doc just says
>whole grain and brown rice, etc.
>
>But we're talking bread.
>
>I would probably be better served by consulting with a real nutritionist
>(which to me is a joke) if I could afford one.
>
>Andy

Nutritionists are $300 an hour and our insurance won't cover something
like that. I average about 80-110 for 14 days.
I eat very little bread. I do like my pastas, rice and fruit.

What software do you use for your diet??

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Andy <q> wrote:
> Anna said...
>
>> The nutritionist I spoke with said 12 carbs a day.
>> YOU WILL NOT TELL ME WHAT I CAN POST HERE. No one is going to eat the
>> whole loaf of bread which is more than the 15 carbs you are bragging

> 12 carbs? Now we're only talking bread here, right?
>
> I eat hundreds of complex carbs a day for the calorie value in the form of
> two slices of Milton's whole grain bread.
>
> I eat next to no simple sugars.
>
> I'm in the pretty normal range. 14 day avg 121 mg/dl (where my normal
> control is 123-125 mg/dl). But I'm falling way short on calories and
> micronutrients according to my diet software. So I'm losing weight but I
> can't explain it and nobody's explained it to me either. Doc just says
> whole grain and brown rice, etc.
>
> But we're talking bread.
>
> I would probably be better served by consulting with a real nutritionist
> (which to me is a joke) if I could afford one.
>
> Andy

Your BG readings would not be acceptable to the docs who have treated my
DH over the years. They seem high.

BTW, carbohydrates turn into simple sugars in the digestion process. The
reason some nutritionists recommend whole grains and brown rice is
because they come with fiber which is not absorbed. DH's meter sees no
difference between brown rice and white rice. He eats a whole grain
bread that has a very, very high fiber count so that two slices net at
less than 15 grams of carbs.

You might want to cut out some of those starchy carbs and see how your
numbers respond.

JMTCW

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 02:27:50 -0600, "Andy <q>" <q> wrote:

>Anna said...
>
>> The nutritionist I spoke with said 12 carbs a day.
>> YOU WILL NOT TELL ME WHAT I CAN POST HERE. No one is going to eat the
>> whole loaf of bread which is more than the 15 carbs you are bragging

>12 carbs? Now we're only talking bread here, right?

No, she's talking about 12x15g carb exchanges - which IMO are the most
confusing dietary system known to mankind...

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:

> No, she's talking about 12x15g carb exchanges - which IMO are the most
> confusing dietary system known to mankind...

Not confusing here. Carb-counting was so much easier for DH than trying
to figure out the "exchange" diet. He could never get the hang of that
one. Once he began carb-counting his numbers straightened out and his
A1Cs have been excellent.

Even though he's now on the insulin pump, he is much more proficient at
eyeballing servings so he can count his carbs for programming his bolus.

We are big fans of carb-counting.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:
> Why would you call this *diabetic* bread? It's clearly regular bread.

Cause it produces diabetic bg readings.

--
http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Robert Miles wrote:

> Some people think that leaving out the sugar, and not the other carbs,
> is enough for a diabetic recipe.

Which is particularly ironic with bread since the yeast eats the sugar
anyways.

--
http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Anna wrote:

> I got this in my email. Please point out all the carbs beside
> flour?????

It's nearly entirely flour and therefore nearly entirely carb. Might as
well post a recipe for a "diabetic" hot fudge sundae...

I have scores of recipes for bread, including recipes for sourdough,
recipes starting with various whole wheats that you grind, etc. Nothing
particularly "diabetic" about them though. It's just regular old bread.
Some tastes better than others, but... hardly makes it "diabetic".

> Diabetics do eat carbs. They are allowed 12 per day,
> divided up among 3 meals and a snacks. I eat less than that.

There is *no* amount of carbs that is "allowed" for all diabetics. We
are not the same and have different reactions to carbs.

I also don't know what "12" means, there's no units there. 12 WHAT? 12
pieces of bread? 12 servings of carbs? What?

Before the pancreatic damage that caused me to go on insulin, I could
tolerate around 50g net carb per day. That *could* have meant a slice
of bread now and then, but given I'd have to give up veggies or fruit
for it, not often. Certainly not often enough to get through a whole
loaf of bread before it goes bad.

> Not like
> someone is going to sit down and eat the whole loaf of bread.

No, if I replace some fruit or veggies with a slice of bread, it's take
most of a month to get through a loaf. So I'd have to freeze it. Not a
very worthwhile use of my cooking time really.

And frankly, I'd just not want to give up a half pound of roasted green
beans or a cup of blueberries for a slice of bread; maybe once in a
while, but certainly not for every day for almost a month to get through
a loaf of bread.

> Apparently you have never talked with a nutritionist about a diet for
> diabetics.

Yes actually, I have. She thought my diet was maximzied for both
diabetes and heart health. She photocopied all the stuff I brought
about how I eat to show to other patients. HINT: bread was not on the list.

> They do not go without carbs in a day. Nutritionists frown
> upon the Atkins diet which I think you are leaning toward with no
> carbs.

Atkins is not a no-carb diet. Even it strictest phase, which only lasts
2 days, you eat 20g carb/day... primarily from veggies.

You don't seem to know what the heck you're talking about.

Are you a T1 or a T2? Are you on insulin?

How much of this bread can you eat at a sitting? How much insulin must
you inject to cover it? If you're not on insulin, how high does your bg
spike after eating it? At the highest point? And what was it beforehand?

--
http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alice Faber wrote:

> I have a bad cold, so I'm not eating the same way I normally do (how
> appetizing something is plays a role, when appetite is depressed). In
> any case, my carbs yesterday came from a low-carb wrap (flax meal and
> oat bran as ingredients), a few slices of tomato, the barley in a bowl
> of mushroom-barley soup (home-made), and two small pieces of chocolate.

Could you post the mushroom-barley soup recipe?

I'm having flu and nothing sounds like it'll stay down right now, but
that sounds like it might.

--
http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Anna wrote:

> The nutritionist I spoke with said 12 carbs a day.
> YOU WILL NOT TELL ME WHAT I CAN POST HERE. No one is going to eat the
> whole loaf of bread which is more than the 15 carbs you are bragging
> about.

Anna dear, please don't take this the wrong way, but... you are a moron.
Never mind, take it the wrong way. There's no right way.

Your recipe called for 2 1/14 - 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (plus other
carbs) and made 2 loaves, so more than a cup of flour per loaf.

One cup of all purpose flour:
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c21Uf.html

That's 96 grams of carb *just* in the all-purpose flour. The whole loaf
is probably going to run around 150g; I don't care enough to bother with
the calculations cause I *know* it's just freaking bread same as any
other bread from reading the ingredients and I know I can't eat that
without portions being so tiny as to be ridiculous. If you cut each of
the two loaves in your recipe into ten slices, that runs around 15g per
slice - same as every other bread on the market.

Even when I make NON-diabetic bread, it's freaking healthier than that
crap. What the heck GOOD is eating ANY all-purpose flour? What is
wrong with grinding hard wheat berries so as to at least get a *few*
micronutrients in the stuff? If you want to make just regular old
bread, here's a foolproof recipe:
http://ornery-geeks.org/text/cooking...basicbread.asp

That stuff is *good* - but it's not diabetic-friendly at all. I
wouldn't eat more than a slice a month at most.

I can eat a whole cup of strawberries (12 g) and gets gobs of
micronutrients instead of a slice of this bread:
http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c20XI.html

And no, I shall NOT tell you what to post, I shall just not bother
reading any more of your posts since you're obviously not going to post
anything remotely useful.

--
http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

No Name wrote:

> Nutritionists are $300 an hour and our insurance won't cover something
> like that.

No, they're not.

My endocrinologist's office has a registered dietician/certified
diabetes educator. Her appointments last an hour and cost significantly
less than appointments with the nurse practicitioner which are only a
half hour.

Can't speak to your insurance, but Blue Cross/Blue Shield absolutely
covers it.

The classes they teach each Monday evening are *free* to all patients in
the office.

--
http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 11:00:26 -0500, Jackie Patti >
wrote:

>Atkins is not a no-carb diet. Even it strictest phase, which only lasts
>2 days, you eat 20g carb/day... primarily from veggies.

(psst -- Jackie -- it's two *weeks* -- carry on!)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

BlueBrooke wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 11:00:26 -0500, Jackie Patti >
> wrote:
>

>> Atkins is not a no-carb diet. Even it strictest phase, which only lasts
>> 2 days, you eat 20g carb/day... primarily from veggies.

> (psst -- Jackie -- it's two *weeks* -- carry on!)

Errr... I *did* know that. Must've had a brain fart. Right in a thread
where I called someone else a moron. How embarassing!

I just got home from the in-laws, we both got the flu, came home to find
the sick cat ahd gotten sicker all *over* everything and suddenly find I
have much less patience than usual. Today, stupidity is ****ing me off
- so it's ironic I'm having an atatck myself.

I added more folks to my killfile today than I ever have had in there
before. Even when my mood improves, no reason to waste my patience like
that anyways!

--
http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alice Faber wrote:
> In article >,
> Jackie Patti > wrote:
>
>> Alice Faber wrote:
>>
>>> I have a bad cold, so I'm not eating the same way I normally do (how
>>> appetizing something is plays a role, when appetite is depressed). In
>>> any case, my carbs yesterday came from a low-carb wrap (flax meal and
>>> oat bran as ingredients), a few slices of tomato, the barley in a bowl
>>> of mushroom-barley soup (home-made), and two small pieces of chocolate.

>> Could you post the mushroom-barley soup recipe?
>>
>> I'm having flu and nothing sounds like it'll stay down right now, but
>> that sounds like it might.

> No recipe. When I make soup, I just throw stuff in the pot and cook it
> until it's soup.
>
> For this one, I had c. 1/2 cup drippings from roasting the chicken and
> the bag of giblets that was in the cavity. I covered this with water,
> added c. 1 tsp salt and 1 tbs dried celery, brought it to a boil, and
> let it simmer until it was soup. I then removed the giblets. I had a 10
> oz box of mushrooms which I sliced with my egg slicer; if I'd been
> feeling better, I would have sliced them thinner. I put them in a bowl
> and covered them with boiling water, and let them steep while I chopped
> up c. 1/3 of an onion (that's what I had, already peeled, in the
> fridge). I then dumped all of the mushrooms and onion into the broth,
> and added 1/4 cup dried barley, some tarragon and fresh pepper. I
> brought it back to the boil and then let it simmer for a few hours. I
> might have added more water. In any case, I ended up with about 8 cups
> of soup, which is 4 servings for me.
>
> If you have chicken broth around anyway, you can start with that. I
> didn't, but I happened to have the fixings for it.

That's close enough to a recipe for me, Alice! Thanks very much.

--
http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Jackie Patti > wrote:

> Alice Faber wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Jackie Patti > wrote:

> >> Could you post the mushroom-barley soup recipe?
> >>
> >> I'm having flu and nothing sounds like it'll stay down right now, but
> >> that sounds like it might.

> > No recipe. When I make soup, I just throw stuff in the pot and cook it
> > until it's soup.
> >
> > For this one, I had c. 1/2 cup drippings from roasting the chicken and
> > the bag of giblets that was in the cavity. I covered this with water,
> > added c. 1 tsp salt and 1 tbs dried celery, brought it to a boil, and
> > let it simmer until it was soup. I then removed the giblets. I had a 10
> > oz box of mushrooms which I sliced with my egg slicer; if I'd been
> > feeling better, I would have sliced them thinner. I put them in a bowl
> > and covered them with boiling water, and let them steep while I chopped
> > up c. 1/3 of an onion (that's what I had, already peeled, in the
> > fridge). I then dumped all of the mushrooms and onion into the broth,
> > and added 1/4 cup dried barley, some tarragon and fresh pepper. I
> > brought it back to the boil and then let it simmer for a few hours. I
> > might have added more water. In any case, I ended up with about 8 cups
> > of soup, which is 4 servings for me.
> >
> > If you have chicken broth around anyway, you can start with that. I
> > didn't, but I happened to have the fixings for it.

> That's close enough to a recipe for me, Alice! Thanks very much.

You're welcome. I figured you'd be able to deal with it.

And, as an addendum, I probably put a few small bay leaves in while I
was making the broth.

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."
---BB cuts to the pith of a flame-fest
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 18:06:51 -0500, Jackie Patti >
wrote:

>BlueBrooke wrote:
>> On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 11:00:26 -0500, Jackie Patti >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Atkins is not a no-carb diet. Even it strictest phase, which only lasts
>>> 2 days, you eat 20g carb/day... primarily from veggies.

>> (psst -- Jackie -- it's two *weeks* -- carry on!)

>Errr... I *did* know that.

I know that -- that's why I whispered it real quiet so it would be
just between us. ;-)

>Must've had a brain fart. Right in a thread
>where I called someone else a moron. How embarassing!

It's a law or something. Besides, brain farts aren't the sign of a
moron. Completely different criteria.

>I just got home from the in-laws, we both got the flu, came home to find
>the sick cat ahd gotten sicker all *over* everything and suddenly find I
>have much less patience than usual. Today, stupidity is ****ing me off
>- so it's ironic I'm having an atatck myself.

I noticed. I doubt I'm the only one. ;-)

>I added more folks to my killfile today than I ever have had in there
>before. Even when my mood improves, no reason to waste my patience like
>that anyways!

Good point.

It's pretty clear you're wired up today. Hope you're feeling better
soon.

--
BlueBrooke
T2/D&E/June 2005

More diabetic atec7 7[_2_] General Cooking 0 09-05-2010 10:13 AM
Proofs of LORD Almighty GOD: Pastorio died on April Fool's day, an omer of bread/food (not grain) is still a weight measure, and convicted diabetic neighbor Vicky keeps getting angrier. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD General Cooking 2 29-04-2007 10:58 AM
diabetic charlie and grace Diabetic 5 18-11-2006 03:30 AM
Diabetic Applesauce Nut Bread Old Magic1 Recipes (moderated) 0 03-02-2005 04:12 AM
Diabetic Applesauce Nut Bread Old Magic1 Recipes (moderated) 0 03-02-2005 04:12 AM