Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Vegetable Casserole

My sis has brought this to a lot of pot lucks and everybody seems to
like it, so I thought I'd post it. Common ingredients and easy to
make. I have seen many variations of this, so it certainly isn't
original. :-)

Ingredients

1 eggplant (1lb)
Zucchini (1lb)
salt
Boiling water
1/4 cup butter
2 TBS oil
2 cups sliced onion
2 small tomatoes, sliced
pepper
1/2 pound grated cheddar cheese

Wash eggplant, cut in half lengthwise, slice 1/2 inch thick. Scrub
Zucchini, slice diagonally 1/2 inch thick.

Preheat oven to 350F, grease well a 10 inch round or oval baking dish.

In large skillet, layer zucchini and eggplant, add 2 tsps salt and 2
cups boiling water. Return to boil, reduce heat to simmer, and simmer
covered for 5 minutes. Drain well in colander. Set aside.

In same skillet, heat butter and oil, saute onion until tender, about
5 minutes.

In bottom of prepared casserole, layer half of onion, then half of
eggplant, zucchini, and tomato slices. Sprinkle with 1/8 tsp pepper
and 1 cup of the grated cheddar cheese. Repeat layering rest of
vegetables, sprinkle with another 1/8 tsp of pepper, and the remaining
cheese.

Bake covered tightly with foil for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake
another 5 minutes to evaporate liquid. 6 to 8 servings.