Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Tapioca Flour Question??

I was in a place today with the opportunity to buy a box of Ener-G
Tapioca flour for $1. I figured "why not?".

I see 1/2 cup contains 42gms carbs. Does this thicken foods , like
cornstarch or arrowroot ( which I cannot find)?. if it does, how is the
comparable carb count.

Another of my possible uses is dusting a veggie before lightly
sauteeing it ( I do this with zucchini circles). Does it work OK,
without a nasty taste??

I have no idea what to do with this, but thought it might indeed be an
addition to my low-carb recipes for the T2, pacreatitis, no-carb hubby!!

TIA

Gillian
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Gill Murray" > wrote in message
>I was in a place today with the opportunity to buy a box of Ener-G Tapioca
>flour for $1. I figured "why not?".
>
> I see 1/2 cup contains 42gms carbs. Does this thicken foods , like
> cornstarch or arrowroot ( which I cannot find)?. if it does, how is the
> comparable carb count.
>
> Another of my possible uses is dusting a veggie before lightly sauteeing
> it ( I do this with zucchini circles). Does it work OK, without a nasty
> taste??
>
> I have no idea what to do with this, but thought it might indeed be an
> addition to my low-carb recipes for the T2, pacreatitis, no-carb hubby!!

Its intent is for people who must eat a gluten free diet. It is usually
mixed with other flours like rice flour and potato flour. Yes, it can be
used for thickening but I'm not sure how well it holds up. For instance,
cornstarch tends to break down in prolonged cooking or reheating. I
generally use sweet rice flour for thickening, or instant mashed potato
flakes. Both are loaded with carbs as is the tapioca flour, but I only use
a little.

For thickening, you might try Xanthan Gum. It has far less carbs in it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Gill Murray" > wrote in message
>
>>I was in a place today with the opportunity to buy a box of Ener-G Tapioca
>>flour for $1. I figured "why not?".
>>
>>I see 1/2 cup contains 42gms carbs. Does this thicken foods , like
>>cornstarch or arrowroot ( which I cannot find)?. if it does, how is the
>>comparable carb count.
>>
>> Another of my possible uses is dusting a veggie before lightly sauteeing
>>it ( I do this with zucchini circles). Does it work OK, without a nasty
>>taste??
>>
>>I have no idea what to do with this, but thought it might indeed be an
>>addition to my low-carb recipes for the T2, pacreatitis, no-carb hubby!!

> Its intent is for people who must eat a gluten free diet. It is usually
> mixed with other flours like rice flour and potato flour. Yes, it can be
> used for thickening but I'm not sure how well it holds up. For instance,
> cornstarch tends to break down in prolonged cooking or reheating. I
> generally use sweet rice flour for thickening, or instant mashed potato
> flakes. Both are loaded with carbs as is the tapioca flour, but I only use
> a little.
>
> For thickening, you might try Xanthan Gum. It has far less carbs in it.

Yup, I bought that. It sat around for ages, and I finally deep-sixed it.
We tend to eat our gravy a bit runny (the way I wa raised anyway), and
use less than a tablespoon of cornstarch when I need.

Thanks for the info.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 23:41:07 GMT, Gill Murray
> wrote:

>I see 1/2 cup contains 42gms carbs. Does this thicken foods , like
>cornstarch or arrowroot ( which I cannot find)?. if it does, how is the
>comparable carb count.

Sounds comparable to ordinary flour? But you'll have to do the acid
test, give it a go and see what it does to your husband...

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 23:41:07 GMT, Gill Murray
> > wrote:
>
> >I see 1/2 cup contains 42gms carbs. Does this thicken foods , like
> >cornstarch or arrowroot ( which I cannot find)?. if it does, how is the
> >comparable carb count.

> Sounds comparable to ordinary flour? But you'll have to do the acid
> test, give it a go and see what it does to your husband...
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25

(WARNING!
I am not a diabetic so I don't know much about carbs in the
following recipe, but at least it gives a good idea on how much
tapioca to thicken 1 1\2 Cups of water)

Yes. It thickens. I used to use it for then thickener in fruit pies
but that was so long ago that I don't remember how much to use. So
here is a recipe for tapioca apples which gives a place to start your
experimentation.

Title: Tapioca Apples
Categories: Desserts
Yield: 6 servings

2/3 c Sugar 1 1/2 c Water
3 tb Tapioca, quick cooking 5 c Apple slices
1/8 ts Salt

Mix all together except apples. Let stand while preparing apple
slices.
Bring tapioca mixture to full boil, stirring to prevent sticking.
Add
apples. Boil gently, covered, until apples are tender, 10-15
minutes.
Sprinkle with nutmeg or whipped cream when serving.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan wrote:

> How do you figure 42 grams of carb per half cup works into a low carb
> plan at all?

If you're using a tablespoon to thicken gravy, it'd work.

I use corn starch for that myself. The amount of carb is just so tiny,
I can't see the point of the gums.

I also use a TB of regular old flour to thicken up my taco meat too.

--
http://www.ornery-geeks.org/consulting/
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jackie Patti wrote in message >...

>I use corn starch for that myself. The amount of carb is just so

tiny,
>I can't see the point of the gums.

I usually use corn starch too, in small amounts as you say. I have
used Thick and Thin, but it's really about the same amount of carbs
per amount.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" > wrote in message

> That was my point; what advantage could there possibly be from subbing
> tapioca?

I can't see a point unless you have a corn allergy.

Tapioca pudding question (bulk tapioca) [email protected] General Cooking 15 18-12-2019 08:01 PM
Pearl tapioca - question [email protected] General Cooking 15 18-04-2014 12:17 AM
Flour Question Dieter Zakas General Cooking 2 09-01-2005 06:42 AM
flour question ilaboo Baking 2 29-01-2004 10:42 PM
Tapioca recipe for bulk tapioca Franky General Cooking 0 21-10-2003 02:44 AM