Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pearl tapioca - question

I tried making pudding from it and I MUCH prefer the other kind. It was just...bland. Would it make any difference if I put the dry pearls in a processor first?

Also, what would your favorite savory uses be for the pearls?

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

lenona321wrote:

>I tried making pudding from it and I MUCH prefer the other kind.

What "other kind"?

>It was just...bland. Would it make any difference if I put the
>dry pearls in a processor first?

The whole pearls are the most important part of tapioca pudding,
otherwise use cornstarch. Tapioca is just starch, has no flavor, has
to be flavored just like other puddings. However odds are what you
have is likely sago palm, not tapioca... nowadays most tapioca is
actually sago... check the package label.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 21:21:13 +0100, Yellow > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> I tried making pudding from it and I MUCH prefer the other kind. It was just...bland. Would it make any difference if I put the dry pearls in a processor first?
>>
>> Also, what would your favorite savory uses be for the pearls?
>>
>> Lenona.

>My favourite use would be to keep them in the pack, to keep the pack at
>the supermarket and to have a Marmite and Wensleydale sandwich instead.
>
>I have dreadful memories of "frog's spawn" from my youth!

Fish eggs and glue! Every time I hear about tapioca that's what I
think of!

I loved tapioca pudding as a kid, and probably still would. Love me
some fish eggs and glue! :-)

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-04-16 4:21 PM, Yellow wrote:

> My favourite use would be to keep them in the pack, to keep the pack at
> the supermarket and to have a Marmite and Wensleydale sandwich instead.
>
> I have dreadful memories of "frog's spawn" from my youth!

I liked people like you when we had "fish eyes and glue" because there
was more for me. I always liked it and still to. In fact, after my
earlier reply in the thread I made some.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 17, 2014 6:26:07 AM UTC+10, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> However odds are what you
> have is likely sago palm, not tapioca... nowadays most tapioca is
> actually sago... check the package label.

Other way around: most "sago" is made from tapioca. Also most "arrowroot" is tapioca starch. Because tapioca starch is cheaper. Tapioca = cassava starch. About 1/4 billion tons of cassava grown per year, vs much less sago. Cheaper.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>I tried making pudding from it and I MUCH prefer the other kind. It was
>just...bland. Would it make any difference if I put the dry pearls in a
>processor first?
>
> Also, what would your favorite savory uses be for the pearls?

I don't personally like tapioca in savory things. I had a recipe that said
to add it to Crock-Pot roast. Ruined the dish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Timo wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> However odds are what you
>> have is likely sago palm, not tapioca... nowadays most tapioca is
>> actually sago... check the package label.

>Other way around: most "sago" is made from tapioca.

Not... each is its own product, neither pretends to be the other.
However in the US most people refer to those pearls as tapioca
regardless of their source. Both are a crop and some years one is far
more available than the other, so even though a package is labeled
tapioca pudding its ingredients list would say sago. Also tapioca
costs more to process, the root of the cassava plant is toxic, ergo
tapioca pearls cost a bit more than sago pearls. Years ago I shopped
at a neighborhood Indian market, they sold several brands and
different sizes of tapioca pearls... the package said "Tapioca Pearls"
but in small print on the back it said "sago palm", When using either
in a recipe the results are indistinguishable. Here you can see what
I'm talking about: http://tinyurl.com/oz5anzw
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_3ofqzm3ym5_e

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 18, 2014 2:26:23 AM UTC+10, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Timo wrote:
> >Brooklyn1 wrote:
> >>
> >> However odds are what you
> >> have is likely sago palm, not tapioca... nowadays most tapioca is
> >> actually sago... check the package label.

> >Other way around: most "sago" is made from tapioca.

> Not... each is its own product, neither pretends to be the other.

> Here you can see what
> I'm talking about: http://tinyurl.com/oz5anzw
> http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_3ofqzm3ym5_e

Congatulations! You found a bunch of products that are labelled "sago", but are made from cassava. (The Ajika makes a point out of being made from sago, not tapioca, but the ingedients list on the Ajika website says "tapioca".)

> Also tapioca
> costs more to process, the root of the cassava plant is toxic, ergo
> tapioca pearls cost a bit more than sago pearls.

Some varieties. There are non-toxic varieties ("sweet cassava").

Tapioca starch prices fluctuate, mostly depending on the cassava crop. Sago cultivation has increased a lot in recent years, and depending on tapioca starch prices, either sago or tapioca starch can be cheaper.