Julie Bove

Default Cranberry salad

I have been trying for a couple of years to re-create the carb rich
cranberry salad that my Mom makes. Hers has orange Jell-O, oranges and
apples in it among other things. I think I finally hit on a suitable
substitute with just the right amount of sweet, tart and crunch. Yum, yum!
And I'm not a Jell-O lover either. But this salad is so packed with crunchy
stuff, the Jell-O does little more than add flavor and hold it all together.

Cranberry Salad

1 box (4 servings) Cherry Sugar Free Jell-O
1 cup coarsely chopped cranberries
2-3 packets of Aspartame or other sweetener
1 T. lemon juice
1 T. lime juice
grated lemon peel (dried), about 8 shakes
grated orange peel (dried) about 8 shakes
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery

Prepare Jell-O as directed on package. Put in refrigerator or freezer to
chill and thicken slightly. I put mine in a glass loaf dish, but you can
use a medium sized bowl or even a mold.

Put cranberries in bowl or large mixing cup. Add sweetener, juices and
peels. Mix well and let sit for a few minutes. This gives the sweetener a
chance to sort of melt into the berries. Add pecans and celery. Mix again.

After Jell-O has slightly thickened, add other ingredients and mix well.

Allow to set up and enjoy!

Note: In previous versions, I tried using fresh grated zest from lemons and
oranges. For some reason, this didn't give as good a flavor as the dried
kind. I also found that the cherry gelatin with the addition of the juices
gave a far better flavor than the orange gelatin alone.

I don't know the carb count of this offhand, but a 1/2 cup serving would be
plenty and not very carby at all. Now I just have to go make some more
because I've eaten it all!

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Gregory Gadow

Julie Bove wrote:

> I have been trying for a couple of years to re-create the carb rich
> cranberry salad that my Mom makes. Hers has orange Jell-O, oranges and
> apples in it among other things. I think I finally hit on a suitable
> substitute with just the right amount of sweet, tart and crunch. Yum, yum!
> And I'm not a Jell-O lover either. But this salad is so packed with crunchy
> stuff, the Jell-O does little more than add flavor and hold it all together.
>
> Cranberry Salad
>
> 1 box (4 servings) Cherry Sugar Free Jell-O
> 1 cup coarsely chopped cranberries
> 2-3 packets of Aspartame or other sweetener
> 1 T. lemon juice
> 1 T. lime juice
> grated lemon peel (dried), about 8 shakes
> grated orange peel (dried) about 8 shakes
> 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
> 1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery
>
> Prepare Jell-O as directed on package. Put in refrigerator or freezer to
> chill and thicken slightly. I put mine in a glass loaf dish, but you can
> use a medium sized bowl or even a mold.
>
> Put cranberries in bowl or large mixing cup. Add sweetener, juices and
> peels. Mix well and let sit for a few minutes. This gives the sweetener a
> chance to sort of melt into the berries. Add pecans and celery. Mix again.
>
> After Jell-O has slightly thickened, add other ingredients and mix well.
>
> Allow to set up and enjoy!
>
> Note: In previous versions, I tried using fresh grated zest from lemons and
> oranges. For some reason, this didn't give as good a flavor as the dried
> kind. I also found that the cherry gelatin with the addition of the juices
> gave a far better flavor than the orange gelatin alone.
>
> I don't know the carb count of this offhand, but a 1/2 cup serving would be
> plenty and not very carby at all. Now I just have to go make some more
> because I've eaten it all!

I've been making something like this for years :-) It is a nice replacement for
cranberry sauce and has almost no carbs at all.

My variation involves pureeing about 2/3 of the cranberries in a food processor
without any added sweetener. Chopped that finely, the Jell-O by itself provides
the needed sweet. The rest are coarsely chopped for "crunch" and a bit of
surprise tartness. I will also add some peeled, chopped apples, one of the tart
varieties, to add some flavor (and fiber) without too many carbs.

Also, see if you can find the sugar-free cranberry flavor. Many stores don't
carry it normally, even during the winter holidays, but a polite special request
might work. Or you can try ordering it on-line (http://www.jello.com takes you
to the appropriate part of Kraft's website.)

Another fun touch is to use very chilled club soda or flavored seltzer instead
of plain water. With a bit of practice, you can end up with "sparklies"
throughout. The cranberry-lime selzter (Canada Dry, I think) works very nicely
with cherry Jell-O.
--
Gregory Gadow

http://www.serv.net/~techbear

"If you make yourself a sheep, the wolves will eat you."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Julie Bove

"Gregory Gadow" > wrote in message

> I've been making something like this for years :-) It is a nice

replacement for
> cranberry sauce and has almost no carbs at all.
>
> My variation involves pureeing about 2/3 of the cranberries in a food

processor
> without any added sweetener. Chopped that finely, the Jell-O by itself

provides
> the needed sweet. The rest are coarsely chopped for "crunch" and a bit of
> surprise tartness. I will also add some peeled, chopped apples, one of the

tart
> varieties, to add some flavor (and fiber) without too many carbs.

I haven't got a food processor, and I didn't add the apples because they
tend to upset my stomach.

> Also, see if you can find the sugar-free cranberry flavor. Many stores

don't
> carry it normally, even during the winter holidays, but a polite special

request
> might work. Or you can try ordering it on-line (http://www.jello.com takes

you
> to the appropriate part of Kraft's website.)

I haven't seen the cranberry for years, and I have looked for it. I used to
buy it when I lived in Cape Cod, but haven't seen it since. And I think I
did go to the Kraft website, but not for a while. I will look there again
though.

> Another fun touch is to use very chilled club soda or flavored seltzer

instead
> of plain water. With a bit of practice, you can end up with "sparklies"
> throughout. The cranberry-lime selzter (Canada Dry, I think) works very

nicely
> with cherry Jell-O.

I might try that. I've tried fizzy stuff in Jell-O before and really didn't
notice much difference. Don't think I ever used Seltzer though.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Karen

<snip>

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> I might try that. I've tried fizzy stuff in Jell-O before and really

didn't
> notice much difference. Don't think I ever used Seltzer though.

Hi, Julie!

Here's a little trick I learned to make my Jell-O with lots of fizz:

Dissolve Jell-O in 3/4 cup boiling water. Chill, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
Slowly add your fizzy stuff (chilled diet ginger ale, seltzer, etc.) and
stir very gently for a few seconds. Cover; chill for 15 minutes. Stir
gently for 5 seconds, cover, and chill until firm. (That second stir gives
the Jell-O more "fizz factor".) The cans or small bottles of soda seem to
give more bubbles than that poured from a larger bottle. Also, it's
important that the soda be very cold, as warm soda's carbonation disappears
too quickly and leaves the Jell-O flat.

I buy the sugar-free Jell-O "Sparkling White Grape", and I use a whole
12-ounce can of diet ginger ale to make it, following the above
instructions. I've also made sugar-free cherry or orange Jell-O using diet
ginger ale - good combination, and a nice change of pace.

Karen
Type 2

t2_lurking

Fresca works really nice too!

t2_lurking
geabbottATabbottandabbottDOTcom
Do not mail to t2_lurking (auto-delete)
============================
Well, i dreamed i saw the silver
Space ships flying
In the yellow haze of the sun
-- Neil Young --

"Karen" > wrote in message
> <snip>
>
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> >
> > I might try that. I've tried fizzy stuff in Jell-O before and really

> didn't
> > notice much difference. Don't think I ever used Seltzer though.

> Hi, Julie!
>
> Here's a little trick I learned to make my Jell-O with lots of fizz:
>
> Dissolve Jell-O in 3/4 cup boiling water. Chill, uncovered, for 10

minutes.
> Slowly add your fizzy stuff (chilled diet ginger ale, seltzer, etc.) and
> stir very gently for a few seconds. Cover; chill for 15 minutes. Stir
> gently for 5 seconds, cover, and chill until firm. (That second stir

gives
> the Jell-O more "fizz factor".) The cans or small bottles of soda seem to
> give more bubbles than that poured from a larger bottle. Also, it's
> important that the soda be very cold, as warm soda's carbonation

disappears
> too quickly and leaves the Jell-O flat.
>
> I buy the sugar-free Jell-O "Sparkling White Grape", and I use a whole
> 12-ounce can of diet ginger ale to make it, following the above
> instructions. I've also made sugar-free cherry or orange Jell-O using

diet
> ginger ale - good combination, and a nice change of pace.
>
> Karen
> Type 2

Vicki Beausoleil

Karen wrote:

> <snip>
>
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> >
> > I might try that. I've tried fizzy stuff in Jell-O before and really

> didn't
> > notice much difference. Don't think I ever used Seltzer though.

> Hi, Julie!
>
> Here's a little trick I learned to make my Jell-O with lots of fizz:
>
> Dissolve Jell-O in 3/4 cup boiling water. Chill, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
> Slowly add your fizzy stuff (chilled diet ginger ale, seltzer, etc.) and
> stir very gently for a few seconds. Cover; chill for 15 minutes. Stir
> gently for 5 seconds, cover, and chill until firm. (That second stir gives
> the Jell-O more "fizz factor".) The cans or small bottles of soda seem to
> give more bubbles than that poured from a larger bottle. Also, it's
> important that the soda be very cold, as warm soda's carbonation disappears
> too quickly and leaves the Jell-O flat.
>
> I buy the sugar-free Jell-O "Sparkling White Grape", and I use a whole
> 12-ounce can of diet ginger ale to make it, following the above
> instructions. I've also made sugar-free cherry or orange Jell-O using diet
> ginger ale - good combination, and a nice change of pace.
>
> Karen
> Type 2

Cherry and ginger. That sounds really yummy. I don't recall seeing the
white grape jello ever up here in the Great White North, and certainly
not sugar free. Cherry I can do ;-) A few fat juicy blueberries poked
into the half-set mix would add visual appeal and texture. Mmmmmm!

Have saved your post to give it a try when I get some diet ginger ale.

Thanks, Karen!

Vicki
Julie Bove

"Karen" > wrote in message
> <snip>
>
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> >
> > I might try that. I've tried fizzy stuff in Jell-O before and really

> didn't
> > notice much difference. Don't think I ever used Seltzer though.

> Hi, Julie!
>
> Here's a little trick I learned to make my Jell-O with lots of fizz:
>
> Dissolve Jell-O in 3/4 cup boiling water. Chill, uncovered, for 10

minutes.
> Slowly add your fizzy stuff (chilled diet ginger ale, seltzer, etc.) and
> stir very gently for a few seconds. Cover; chill for 15 minutes. Stir
> gently for 5 seconds, cover, and chill until firm. (That second stir

gives
> the Jell-O more "fizz factor".) The cans or small bottles of soda seem to
> give more bubbles than that poured from a larger bottle. Also, it's
> important that the soda be very cold, as warm soda's carbonation

disappears
> too quickly and leaves the Jell-O flat.

Ah! I think I used warm soda when I tried it. Thanks!

> I buy the sugar-free Jell-O "Sparkling White Grape", and I use a whole
> 12-ounce can of diet ginger ale to make it, following the above
> instructions. I've also made sugar-free cherry or orange Jell-O using

diet
> ginger ale - good combination, and a nice change of pace.

As I said in my post, I'm not a Jell-O lover. I just happen to like the
cranberry salad. I do remember trying the Sparkling White Grape when I was
pregnant, but I didn't care for it.