Julie Bove

Default Cranberry salad

I have been trying for a couple of years to re-create the carb rich
cranberry salad that my Mom makes. Hers has orange Jell-O, oranges and
apples in it among other things. I think I finally hit on a suitable
substitute with just the right amount of sweet, tart and crunch. Yum, yum!
And I'm not a Jell-O lover either. But this salad is so packed with crunchy
stuff, the Jell-O does little more than add flavor and hold it all together.

Cranberry Salad

1 box (4 servings) Cherry Sugar Free Jell-O
1 cup coarsely chopped cranberries
2-3 packets of Aspartame or other sweetener
1 T. lemon juice
1 T. lime juice
grated lemon peel (dried), about 8 shakes
grated orange peel (dried) about 8 shakes
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery

Prepare Jell-O as directed on package. Put in refrigerator or freezer to
chill and thicken slightly. I put mine in a glass loaf dish, but you can
use a medium sized bowl or even a mold.

Put cranberries in bowl or large mixing cup. Add sweetener, juices and
peels. Mix well and let sit for a few minutes. This gives the sweetener a
chance to sort of melt into the berries. Add pecans and celery. Mix again.

After Jell-O has slightly thickened, add other ingredients and mix well.

Allow to set up and enjoy!

Note: In previous versions, I tried using fresh grated zest from lemons and
oranges. For some reason, this didn't give as good a flavor as the dried
kind. I also found that the cherry gelatin with the addition of the juices
gave a far better flavor than the orange gelatin alone.

I don't know the carb count of this offhand, but a 1/2 cup serving would be
plenty and not very carby at all. Now I just have to go make some more
because I've eaten it all!

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/