Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default re banana bread recipe

Reading recent issue of Better Homes and Gardens, Diabetes Living, see the
chapter on apple baking. If you think the banana bread recipe was not the
best recipe for many , look at these, esp. the apple pecan cake recipe.!
Check out the carbs and ingredients ! I have seen other diabetic magazines
with similar recipes.

I truly can understand why some can't tolerate even these lower than average
carbed versions of standard cake and dessert recipes.

I guess it all depends what one can eat and fit into their diet. Some can
tolerate a once in a while sweet dessert I guess.

Everyone is different. I do understand both sides of the issue.

Joan

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 09:37:55 GMT, "Joan and her butterflydogs"
> wrote:

>Reading recent issue of Better Homes and Gardens, Diabetes Living, see the
>chapter on apple baking. If you think the banana bread recipe was not the
>best recipe for many , look at these, esp. the apple pecan cake recipe.!
>Check out the carbs and ingredients ! I have seen other diabetic magazines
>with similar recipes.

Yup - that's why I don't get any! My limits are carefully worked out;
from 6g at breakfast to occasionally 40-40g at suppertime. I would
much, much rather spend my carb allowance on something worthwhile! If
I feel the need for a treat, there are plenty of flourless and
sugarless recipes out there that are far better for my diabetes. The
almond flour chocolate cake recipe I use for birthday cakes is
fantastic. Myra's Cheesecake, or almond flour muffins, are nice
desserts or treats. I have never yet found a baking recipe in a
diabetic magazine that I could eat.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

butterflydogs" > wrote:

>Reading recent issue of Better Homes and Gardens, Diabetes Living, see the
>chapter on apple baking. If you think the banana bread recipe was not the
>best recipe for many , look at these, esp. the apple pecan cake recipe.!
>Check out the carbs and ingredients ! I have seen other diabetic magazines
>with similar recipes.
>
>I truly can understand why some can't tolerate even these lower than average
>carbed versions of standard cake and dessert recipes.
>
>I guess it all depends what one can eat and fit into their diet. Some can
>tolerate a once in a while sweet dessert I guess.
>
>Everyone is different. I do understand both sides of the issue.
>
>Joan

"Diabetes" recipes in magazines and recipe books are,
unfortunately, not only unsuitable for diabetics but the
paper they are printed on is usually too shiny to be
effective for their only other valid use.

They are rarely lower in carbs, often higher, than the
"standard" recipes they replace. They are usually designed
to be ultra-low-fat, not low-carb.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 5, 2:37 am, "Joan and her butterflydogs"
> wrote:
> Reading recent issue of Better Homes and Gardens, Diabetes Living, see the
> chapter on apple baking. If you think the banana bread recipe was not the
> best recipe for many , look at these, esp. the apple pecan cake recipe.!
> Check out the carbs and ingredients ! I have seen other diabetic magazines
> with similar recipes.
>
> I truly can understand why some can't tolerate even these lower than average
> carbed versions of standard cake and dessert recipes.
>
> I guess it all depends what one can eat and fit into their diet. Some can
> tolerate a once in a while sweet dessert I guess.
>
> Everyone is different. I do understand both sides of the issue.
>
> Joan

This is a very nice reccipe and we do use this. We always add Pecans
and Walnuts to just about anything. This is especially good with
poached pears.
Brig

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 5, 2:37 am, "Joan and her butterflydogs"
> wrote:
> Reading recent issue of Better Homes and Gardens, Diabetes Living, see the
> chapter on apple baking. If you think the banana bread recipe was not the
> best recipe for many , look at these, esp. the apple pecan cake recipe.!
> Check out the carbs and ingredients ! I have seen other diabetic magazines
> with similar recipes.
>
> I truly can understand why some can't tolerate even these lower than average
> carbed versions of standard cake and dessert recipes.
>
> I guess it all depends what one can eat and fit into their diet. Some can
> tolerate a once in a while sweet dessert I guess.
>
> Everyone is different. I do understand both sides of the issue.
>
> Joan

We have a wonderful recipe for APPLE FRITTER WALNUT BREAD!
It is really delicious and we make bread pudding with this bread. In
fact I am off to get some vanilla bean ice cream to go with tonight
serving.
Brig

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"brigmave" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> This is a very nice reccipe and we do use this. We always add Pecans
> and Walnuts to just about anything. This is especially good with
> poached pears.

That would be waaaaay too many carbs for me!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 5, 10:18 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "brigmave" > wrote in message
>
> ps.com...
>
> > This is a very nice reccipe and we do use this. We always add Pecans
> > and Walnuts to just about anything. This is especially good with
> > poached pears.

> That would be waaaaay too many carbs for me!

Then if your system can not take carbs I surely would not eat foods
that have them.
This a very good dessert and it has much fewer carbs and cals then you
would imagine.
Brig

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

> The organizations who promote such recipes are funded by flour, sugar
> and drug makers. They don't work for anyone.
>
> Susan

This sound like more tales of the ether rather than fact.
Check out those recipes you state are funded by the above and then
check with those companies for their statement of fact.
Not all people respond to food equally. I can well eat the products
of these recipes and have little response.
To say there is only one type or form of food one can eat is rather
silly.
Brig

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

brigmave wrote in message

>This sound like more tales of the ether rather than fact.
>Check out those recipes you state are funded by the above and then
>check with those companies for their statement of fact.
>Not all people respond to food equally. I can well eat the products
>of these recipes and have little response.
>To say there is only one type or form of food one can eat is rather
>silly.
>Brig

I have stopped believing you. Either you're not testing or you're not
a type2 diabetic. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 7, 7:35 am, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:
> brigmave wrote in message
> >This sound like more tales of the ether rather than fact.
> >Check out those recipes you state are funded by the above and then
> >check with those companies for their statement of fact.
> >Not all people respond to food equally. I can well eat the products
> >of these recipes and have little response.
> >To say there is only one type or form of food one can eat is rather
> >silly.
> >Brig

> I have stopped believing you. Either you're not testing or you're not
> a type2 diabetic. :-)
>
> Cheri

You have no need to believe me or not! You do not know how or when we
test nor what the results are. We chose to follow the guidelines set
by our medical team.
Brig

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"brigmave" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> That is unfortunate. Perhaps your disease will improve.

Unbelievable! Simply unelievable!!!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

brigmave wrote in message
>You have no need to believe me or not! You do not know how or when

we
>test nor what the results are. We chose to follow the guidelines set
>by our medical team.
>Brig

Yes, those pesky little details such as test results etc. are missing.
I wonder why that is? LOL

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 7, 4:24 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "brigmave" > wrote in message
>
> ups.com...
>
> > That is unfortunate. Perhaps your disease will improve.

> Unbelievable! Simply unelievable!!!

I am very sorry you don't believe this disease can improve. First,
one must believe one can improve. Secondly, one must do something to
gain improvement.
Thirdly, one must practice to succeed.
I have seen many people improve in many ways with courage and
determination.
Those who do not participate in their road to improvement will never
improve.
Every action and a reaction which is a basic principle of physics.
Brig

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Oct 7, 4:28 pm, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:
> brigmave wrote in message
> >You have no need to believe me or not! You do not know how or when

> we
> >test nor what the results are. We chose to follow the guidelines set
> >by our medical team.
> >Brig

> Yes, those pesky little details such as test results etc. are missing.
> I wonder why that is? LOL
>
> Cheri

I don't see your régime posted here. I could post all my labs for the
last many years and the test results and what would that mean?
Obviously I am still here and in good health after many years of DM
with no complications except terribly dry skin.
Wishing you well.
Brig

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"brigmave" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> On Oct 7, 4:24 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> "brigmave" > wrote in message
>>
>> ups.com...
>>
>> > That is unfortunate. Perhaps your disease will improve.

>> Unbelievable! Simply unelievable!!!

> I am very sorry you don't believe this disease can improve. First,
> one must believe one can improve. Secondly, one must do something to
> gain improvement.
> Thirdly, one must practice to succeed.

I guess you've never heard that diabetes is a progressive disease?

> I have seen many people improve in many ways with courage and
> determination.

Riiiiiiight. I'm not afraid of diabetes. Why would I need courage?

> Those who do not participate in their road to improvement will never
> improve.
> Every action and a reaction which is a basic principle of physics.

Duh. Bye troll!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"brigmave" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> On Oct 7, 4:24 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> "brigmave" > wrote in message
>>
>> ups.com...
>>
>> > That is unfortunate. Perhaps your disease will improve.

>> Unbelievable! Simply unelievable!!!

> I am very sorry you don't believe this disease can improve. First,
> one must believe one can improve. Secondly, one must do something to
> gain improvement.
> Thirdly, one must practice to succeed.
> I have seen many people improve in many ways with courage and
> determination.
> Those who do not participate in their road to improvement will never
> improve.
> Every action and a reaction which is a basic principle of physics.
> Brig

I agree with that.