Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default banana bread recipe

Just recently tried this . Moist , excellent texture, not sweet but I used
it as a base for strawberry shortcake ( fresh strawberries and light whipped
cream ). Very well received. I don't know the source to give credit to. My
changes are the ones in parenthesis but use the original recipe if you wish
..

Low Sugar Banana Bread

2 cups all purpose flour ( try White Whole Wheat Flour by King Arthur
Flour )
2 tsp low sodium (or regular ) baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 ripe bananas or enough for 1 1/2 cups
1 egg ( may use egg substitute )
1/3 cup canola (or oil of choice )
2 Tbs sugar ( or use sugar substitute for baking )
1/2 cup unsweetened orange juice ( fresh squeezed and a bit of grated
orange zest )
(optional : 1/2 tsp vanilla extract )
non stick cooking spray.

Into a bowl sift dry ingredients. In a blender puree smooth the bananas and
liquids.
Blend both mixtures well by hand. Batter may be thick.. If too dry add a
bit more juice or water. Pour into a 8 inch non stick loaf pan ( spray
with non stick cooking spray ) and bake 350F 40 to 50 minutes or tested done
in center with wooden toothpick.. My loaf domed and cracked at the top(
which is normal for many quick breads ) . I had to cover with foil the last
10 to 15 minutes of baking to prevent over browning. Carefully remove from
pan to finish cooling on cooling rack. When cool, wrap in foil and use the
following day ( flavors will blend ).

This can be served with fat free or low fat cream cheese, sugarless jam,
etc. light butter or margarine etc.

I made a dessert by placing a slice on a plate, pouring on sugarless
blueberry topping, adding fresh strawberries and a good spritz of bottled
light whipped cream.

Frezzes well, Yield, 1 large 8 inch loaf

Enjoy!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Joan and Papillons: Cosmo & Midge wrote:
> Just recently tried this . Moist , excellent texture, not sweet but I used
> it as a base for strawberry shortcake ( fresh strawberries and light whipped
> cream ). Very well received. I don't know the source to give credit to. My
> changes are the ones in parenthesis but use the original recipe if you wish
> .
>

> Low Sugar Banana Bread
>
> 2 cups all purpose flour ( try White Whole Wheat Flour by King Arthur
> Flour )
> 2 tsp low sodium (or regular ) baking powder
> 1/2 tsp baking soda
> 1/2 tsp cinnamon
> 3 ripe bananas or enough for 1 1/2 cups
> 1 egg ( may use egg substitute )
> 1/3 cup canola (or oil of choice )
> 2 Tbs sugar ( or use sugar substitute for baking )
> 1/2 cup unsweetened orange juice ( fresh squeezed and a bit of grated
> orange zest )
> (optional : 1/2 tsp vanilla extract )
> non stick cooking spray.
>
> Into a bowl sift dry ingredients. In a blender puree smooth the bananas and
> liquids.
> Blend both mixtures well by hand. Batter may be thick.. If too dry add a
> bit more juice or water. Pour into a 8 inch non stick loaf pan ( spray
> with non stick cooking spray ) and bake 350F 40 to 50 minutes or tested done
> in center with wooden toothpick.. My loaf domed and cracked at the top(
> which is normal for many quick breads ) . I had to cover with foil the last
> 10 to 15 minutes of baking to prevent over browning. Carefully remove from
> pan to finish cooling on cooling rack. When cool, wrap in foil and use the
> following day ( flavors will blend ).
>
> This can be served with fat free or low fat cream cheese, sugarless jam,
> etc. light butter or margarine etc.
>
> I made a dessert by placing a slice on a plate, pouring on sugarless
> blueberry topping, adding fresh strawberries and a good spritz of bottled
> light whipped cream.
>
> Frezzes well, Yield, 1 large 8 inch loaf
>
> Enjoy!

Per loaf: 2097 Cal, 82g fat, 7.8g sat fat, 311.5g carbohydrate, 16.2g
fiber, 36.5g protein.

Vicki
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 13:38:05 GMT, "Joan and Papillons:
Cosmo & Midge" > wrote:

>I made a dessert by placing a slice on a plate, pouring on sugarless
>blueberry topping, adding fresh strawberries and a good spritz of bottled
>light whipped cream.
>
>Frezzes well, Yield, 1 large 8 inch loaf
>
>Enjoy!

What was your blood glucose reading an hour after eating it?

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 16:08:00 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>BTW, we visited the Endo Thursday and his last A1C was 5.6 and we had
>been traveling and eating out every day. Endo was smiling a lot. She
>calls him her "model patient" She even gave him some bolus advice for
>when we go on our cruise-tour and he wants to do some cheating.

Wow - congrats to both of you

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine