Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Recipe: Dreamfields' Lo Mein

If you can tolerate Dreamfield's pasta, you might like this dish. I
experimented with it tonight for supper and it was a big hit. Make any
changes to the veggies you want for what's in the fridge. I think
julienned zucchini would be great. A few fresh Chinese pea pods would
also be nice. Be creative!

Vegetable Lo Mein

1 tablespoon fresh ginger -- minced
1 clove garlic -- minced
1 tablespoon dry sherry
2 tablespoons soy sauce, low sodium
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup boiling water
3 Chinese mushrooms -- black, dried
2 tablespoons peanut oil -- divided
1/2 medium onion -- shredded
2 cups cabbage -- shredded
1 carrot -- julienned
1 cup frozen fajita vegetables (green pepper, red
pepper and oinon) -- defrosted
1/2 cup bean sprouts, canned -- rinsed and drained
2 ounces Dreamfield's spaghetti -- cooked according to
package
Sauce:
1 teaspoon corn starch
2 teaspoons water in which the mushrooms were soaking
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
1 tablespoon soy sauce, low sodium
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 Splenda

Mix ginger, garlic, sherry, soy sauce and vinegar in a small bowl and
set aside.

In another bowl pour boiling water over mushrooms and let stand for 30
minutes. Discard stems and shred the mushrooms. Save the water. Add to
the ginger garlic mix.

Cook pasta according to least amount of time on package directions. Do
Not over cook. Drain pasta and immerse in a bowl of ice water to stop
the cooking. Drain well, mix with 1 tablespoon of peanut oil. Set aside.

Mix sauce ingredients and set aside.

Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of
peanut oil. When it begins to smoke, add onion, cabbage, carrot, fajita
vegetables, sugar snap peas, bean sprouts and ginger, garlic and
mushroom mix. Stir fry until crisp tender.

Stir the sauce to disperse the corn starch and add to the wok. Stir
until the sauce thickens and turns clear. Add the spaghetti and stir to
warm it up and mix in the vegetables.

Serve immediately.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Very nice..i was wondering if splenda would work in replacing the sugar in
my fave stirfrys etc..
ty for the recipe.

KROM

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> If you can tolerate Dreamfield's pasta, you might like this dish. I
> experimented with it tonight for supper and it was a big hit. Make any
> changes to the veggies you want for what's in the fridge. I think
> julienned zucchini would be great. A few fresh Chinese pea pods would also
> be nice. Be creative!
>

> Vegetable Lo Mein

> 1 tablespoon fresh ginger -- minced
> 1 clove garlic -- minced
> 1 tablespoon dry sherry
> 2 tablespoons soy sauce, low sodium
> 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
> 1/2 cup boiling water
> 3 Chinese mushrooms -- black, dried
> 2 tablespoons peanut oil -- divided
> 1/2 medium onion -- shredded
> 2 cups cabbage -- shredded
> 1 carrot -- julienned
> 1 cup frozen fajita vegetables (green pepper, red pepper
> and oinon) -- defrosted
> 1/2 cup bean sprouts, canned -- rinsed and drained
> 2 ounces Dreamfield's spaghetti -- cooked according to
> package
> Sauce:
> 1 teaspoon corn starch
> 2 teaspoons water in which the mushrooms were soaking
> 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
> 1 tablespoon soy sauce, low sodium
> 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
> 1 teaspoon sesame oil
> 1/2 Splenda
>
> Mix ginger, garlic, sherry, soy sauce and vinegar in a small bowl and set
> aside.
>
> In another bowl pour boiling water over mushrooms and let stand for 30
> minutes. Discard stems and shred the mushrooms. Save the water. Add to the
> ginger garlic mix.
>
> Cook pasta according to least amount of time on package directions. Do Not
> over cook. Drain pasta and immerse in a bowl of ice water to stop the
> cooking. Drain well, mix with 1 tablespoon of peanut oil. Set aside.
>
> Mix sauce ingredients and set aside.
>
> Heat a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of
> peanut oil. When it begins to smoke, add onion, cabbage, carrot, fajita
> vegetables, sugar snap peas, bean sprouts and ginger, garlic and mushroom
> mix. Stir fry until crisp tender.
>
> Stir the sauce to disperse the corn starch and add to the wok. Stir until
> the sauce thickens and turns clear. Add the spaghetti and stir to warm it
> up and mix in the vegetables.
>
> Serve immediately.
>

> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 05:27:38 -0500, "krom"
> wrote:

>Very nice..i was wondering if splenda would work in replacing the sugar in
>my fave stirfrys etc..
>ty for the recipe.
>
>KROM

Works very well. Do you like crab?
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/20...hili-crab.html

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Slovenia
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 18:58:19 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> Vegetable Lo Mein

<slaps head> right - the Dreamfields spaghetti or linguini would be a
good texture for this! I've been using Shirataki noodles, but it's a
pain - the whole family could eat it with the pasta! Thanks, Janet!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.5% BMI 25