Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Default Dreamfields pasta

I tried some of this tonight and it didn't raise my BG. That's a good thing.
Made a low-carb marinara and put some browned (drained) ground beef in with
it.
About a tablespoon of Parmesan on top. Small glass of red wine rounded out
the meal.

So here's the question:
The front of the pasta package says only 5g of "digestible carbs" per
serving.
But the nutrition analysis says 42g total carbs and 2g fiber making net
carbs 40g.

So, WTF is a "digestible carb" and what happens to the other 35
"indigestible carbs" ?
Or, more importantly, what are the "indigestible carbs" made of ?

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alice Faber

In article >,
"Pete Romfh" > wrote:

> I tried some of this tonight and it didn't raise my BG. That's a good thing.
> Made a low-carb marinara and put some browned (drained) ground beef in with
> it.
> About a tablespoon of Parmesan on top. Small glass of red wine rounded out
> the meal.
>
> So here's the question:
> The front of the pasta package says only 5g of "digestible carbs" per
> serving.
> But the nutrition analysis says 42g total carbs and 2g fiber making net
> carbs 40g.
>
> So, WTF is a "digestible carb" and what happens to the other 35
> "indigestible carbs" ?
> Or, more importantly, what are the "indigestible carbs" made of ?

The "undigestible carbs" are encapsulated somehow so that they aren't,
well, digestible.

But, you should be aware that, especially if you cook the pasta beyond
al dente, there might be a delayed BG increase. I don't get a spike
exactly, just a big ol' rolling hill. I mean, it's far better for my BG
than regular pasta would be, but I still tend to make very small
servings. There's at least one alt.support.diabetes poster who gets a
bigger spike from the Dreamfields than from regular pasta. And there are
plenty of folks who don't get even a delayed spike.

--
AF
"Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team."
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Pete Romfh

Alice Faber wrote:
> In article >,
> "Pete Romfh" > wrote:
>
>> I tried some of this tonight and it didn't raise my BG.
>> That's a good thing. Made a low-carb marinara and put
>> some browned (drained) ground beef in with it.
>> About a tablespoon of Parmesan on top. Small glass of
>> red wine rounded out the meal.
>>
>> So here's the question:
>> The front of the pasta package says only 5g of
>> "digestible carbs" per serving.
>> But the nutrition analysis says 42g total carbs and 2g
>> fiber making net carbs 40g.
>>
>> So, WTF is a "digestible carb" and what happens to the
>> other 35 "indigestible carbs" ?
>> Or, more importantly, what are the "indigestible carbs"
>> made of ?

> The "undigestible carbs" are encapsulated somehow so that
> they aren't, well, digestible.
>
> But, you should be aware that, especially if you cook the
> pasta beyond al dente, there might be a delayed BG
> increase. I don't get a spike exactly, just a big ol'
> rolling hill. I mean, it's far better for my BG than
> regular pasta would be, but I still tend to make very
> small servings. There's at least one alt.support.diabetes
> poster who gets a bigger spike from the Dreamfields than
> from regular pasta. And there are plenty of folks who
> don't get even a delayed spike.

I had a "normal" serving with meat sauce.
BG was 104 prior to the meal.
110 at 1 hr, 124 at 2 hrs. It's now 4.5 hrs and I'm 107.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alice Faber

In article >,
"Pete Romfh" > wrote:

> Alice Faber wrote:
> > In article >,
> > "Pete Romfh" > wrote:
> >
> >> I tried some of this tonight and it didn't raise my BG.
> >> That's a good thing. Made a low-carb marinara and put
> >> some browned (drained) ground beef in with it.
> >> About a tablespoon of Parmesan on top. Small glass of
> >> red wine rounded out the meal.
> >>
> >> So here's the question:
> >> The front of the pasta package says only 5g of
> >> "digestible carbs" per serving.
> >> But the nutrition analysis says 42g total carbs and 2g
> >> fiber making net carbs 40g.
> >>
> >> So, WTF is a "digestible carb" and what happens to the
> >> other 35 "indigestible carbs" ?
> >> Or, more importantly, what are the "indigestible carbs"
> >> made of ?

> > The "undigestible carbs" are encapsulated somehow so that
> > they aren't, well, digestible.
> >
> > But, you should be aware that, especially if you cook the
> > pasta beyond al dente, there might be a delayed BG
> > increase. I don't get a spike exactly, just a big ol'
> > rolling hill. I mean, it's far better for my BG than
> > regular pasta would be, but I still tend to make very
> > small servings. There's at least one alt.support.diabetes
> > poster who gets a bigger spike from the Dreamfields than
> > from regular pasta. And there are plenty of folks who
> > don't get even a delayed spike.

> I had a "normal" serving with meat sauce.
> BG was 104 prior to the meal.
> 110 at 1 hr, 124 at 2 hrs. It's now 4.5 hrs and I'm 107.

Looks good...When I had the "normal" serving, I went up to about 130 and
stayed there for 3 hours (at least; I finally went to bed!). So, now I
have half servings when I have it.

--
AF
"Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team."
--artyw raises the bar on rec.sport.baseball
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nicky

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
> I had a "normal" serving with meat sauce.
> BG was 104 prior to the meal.
> 110 at 1 hr, 124 at 2 hrs. It's now 4.5 hrs and I'm 107.

Cool! It does that to me too, I really enjoy it now and again.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.6/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Priscilla H. Ballou

In article >,
Alice Faber > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Pete Romfh" > wrote:
>
> > I tried some of this tonight and it didn't raise my BG. That's a good thing.
> > Made a low-carb marinara and put some browned (drained) ground beef in with
> > it.
> > About a tablespoon of Parmesan on top. Small glass of red wine rounded out
> > the meal.
> >
> > So here's the question:
> > The front of the pasta package says only 5g of "digestible carbs" per
> > serving.
> > But the nutrition analysis says 42g total carbs and 2g fiber making net
> > carbs 40g.
> >
> > So, WTF is a "digestible carb" and what happens to the other 35
> > "indigestible carbs" ?
> > Or, more importantly, what are the "indigestible carbs" made of ?

> The "undigestible carbs" are encapsulated somehow so that they aren't,
> well, digestible.
>
> But, you should be aware that, especially if you cook the pasta beyond
> al dente, there might be a delayed BG increase. I don't get a spike
> exactly, just a big ol' rolling hill. I mean, it's far better for my BG
> than regular pasta would be, but I still tend to make very small
> servings. There's at least one alt.support.diabetes poster who gets a
> bigger spike from the Dreamfields than from regular pasta. And there are
> plenty of folks who don't get even a delayed spike.

I think I'm noticing a problem if I eat it more than one day in a row.
I made some turkey tetrazini with DF spaghetti the week after
Thanksgiving, and my guts were overactive until I stopped eating the
leftovers. That was damn fine tetrazini, though. Just about worth it.
;-)

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Priscilla H. Ballou

In article >,
"Pete Romfh" > wrote:

> I had a "normal" serving with meat sauce.
> BG was 104 prior to the meal.
> 110 at 1 hr, 124 at 2 hrs. It's now 4.5 hrs and I'm 107.

Congratulations! Sounds like you might be one of the lucky ones.

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Larry Dow

This is a link to the patent for Dreamfields pasta.

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO %2Fsearch-adv.html&r=1&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PG01&S1=%28Jon.IN.+AND +Anfinsen%29&OS=in/Jon+and+Anfinsen&RS=(IN/Jon+AND+Anfinsen

It explains how they do it.

Larry

"Pete Romfh" > wrote in message
>I tried some of this tonight and it didn't raise my BG. That's a good
>thing.
> Made a low-carb marinara and put some browned (drained) ground beef in
> with
> it.
> About a tablespoon of Parmesan on top. Small glass of red wine rounded
> out
> the meal.
>
> So here's the question:
> The front of the pasta package says only 5g of "digestible carbs" per
> serving.
> But the nutrition analysis says 42g total carbs and 2g fiber making net
> carbs 40g.
>
> So, WTF is a "digestible carb" and what happens to the other 35
> "indigestible carbs" ?
> Or, more importantly, what are the "indigestible carbs" made of ?
>
> --
> Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
> http://www.bigoven.com/~promfh
> promfh (at) hal-pc (dot) org

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove

"Susan" > wrote in message

> I wish it explained how it doesn't work for many, while being very
> effective for others.
>
> I spike 3-4 hours after eating it, for a long time. So do many
> diabetics, while others have no spike at all.

The Dreamfield's spiked me seemingly instantly, while regular pasta or even
pasta made of corn or rice in an equal amount does not spike me.

--
See my webpage:

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Alan S

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 22:51:19 +0000, scott123
> wrote:

>I don't measure my bg,

Are you a diabetic?

>but I did gain big time weight eating it in small
>quantities every day. For me, it doesn't work.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Deb

It's not supposed to be low calorie its supposed to be low carb and safe for
diabetics to eat while not raising their blood sugar. It doesn't even claim
to work for something like Atkins. All of its advertising is geared toward
diabetics. If you aren't concerned with your BG you just wasted your money.

"scott123" > wrote in message

> I don't measure my bg, but I did gain big time weight eating it in small
> quantities every day. For me, it doesn't work.
>
> Julie Bove Wrote:
> > "Susan" wrote in message
> >
> > I wish it explained how it doesn't work for many, while being very
> > effective for others.
> >
> > I spike 3-4 hours after eating it, for a long time. So do many
> > diabetics, while others have no spike at all.
> >
> > The Dreamfield's spiked me seemingly instantly, while regular pasta or
> > even
> > pasta made of corn or rice in an equal amount does not spike me.
> >
> > --
> > See my webpage:

> scott123

Experienced Member

Whoops, sorry, I omitted the fact that I follow a low carb eating plan. A plan that I've lost 40+ lbs. (except for the gain during the time I was eating dreamfields). As far as it being geared toward diabetics, I disagree. If you look at the box or the ads, it's all carb this and carb that, not blood sugar this, glycemic index that.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Deb

Because carbs in any form are what raises blood sugar not just the carbs
from sugar. The diabetic community has been trying to get that idea across
to manufacturers and its only recently started to happen. All those years of
foods being touted as diabetic safe because something was sugar free while
most of it was still high carb misled many diabetics into thinking they
could safely eat all they wanted and many are now paying the price for that
misleading advertising. They should sue those manufacturers.

I get the impression you are not a diabetic. I wrote the maker of
Dreamfields just before they started selling it in the US and asked about
it. They stressed its merits in the context of it not raising BG. They did
not say anything about it working for weight loss. They tell you they have a
way that blocks the carbs impact on BG. That would not necessarily have the
same impact on weight loss as it would BG.