Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Barbecued Hoisin Wings

Did this for dinner tonight. Very nice. Hub wants a repeat.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Barbecued Hoisin Wings

Recipe By : Ottawa Citizen 9/7/97
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Barbecue/Smoke Chicken

3 pounds chicken wings
--Sauce--
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup chili sauce (Heinz type)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
2 teaspoons fresh ginger -- finely grated
1 teaspoon orange peel -- finely grated
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
2 cloves garlic -- minced

Separate wings into 2 pieces or leave whole. Remove tips. Stir together
sauce ingredients. Place plain wings on lightly greased grill over
medium high heat. Barbecue about 7 minutes on each side until sking is
crispy and wings are almost cooked through. During the last 5 minutes of
grilling, brush with the sauce and turn wings frequently to prevent burning.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I increased the garlic (doubled it), added about 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
flakes and 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper.

Vicki
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

percy wrote:
> Did this for dinner tonight. Very nice. Hub wants a repeat.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Barbecued Hoisin Wings
>
> Recipe By : Ottawa Citizen 9/7/97
> Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Barbecue/Smoke Chicken

> 3 pounds chicken wings
> --Sauce--
> 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
> 1/4 cup chili sauce (Heinz type)
> 1 tablespoon soy sauce
> 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
> 2 teaspoons fresh ginger -- finely grated
> 1 teaspoon orange peel -- finely grated
> 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
> 2 cloves garlic -- minced
>
> Separate wings into 2 pieces or leave whole. Remove tips. Stir together
> sauce ingredients. Place plain wings on lightly greased grill over
> medium high heat. Barbecue about 7 minutes on each side until sking is
> crispy and wings are almost cooked through. During the last 5 minutes of
> grilling, brush with the sauce and turn wings frequently to prevent
> burning.
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> I increased the garlic (doubled it), added about 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
> flakes and 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper.
>
> Vicki

Hoisin sauce is kind of high in carbs. a 2 tsp serving, according to the
jar I have, is 25g. Along with the chili sauce, this might be more than
a lot of DMs can handle.

Janet

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 07 May 2007 09:03:48 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>Hoisin sauce is kind of high in carbs. a 2 tsp serving, according to the
>jar I have, is 25g. Along with the chili sauce, this might be more than
>a lot of DMs can handle.

I use Steel's - made with Splenda. Cooks fine, dips fine, tastes
great.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.5% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Hoisin sauce is kind of high in carbs. a 2 tsp serving, according to the
> jar I have, is 25g. Along with the chili sauce, this might be more than
> a lot of DMs can handle.

That sounds like a mistake. 1 tsp of table sugar is 4g carbs. So 2 tsp
of sugar would be 8g. Two *tablespoons* of sugar would have 24g carbs.
As the hoisin sauce has more ingredients than sugar, I'd be really
shocked if it had the same carb content. And, in fact, according to the
USDA database, 1 tbs of hoisin sauce has 7g carbs. Still carby, but not
as carby as your bottle would indicate.

--
AF
"Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team."
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alice Faber wrote:
> In article >,
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> Hoisin sauce is kind of high in carbs. a 2 tsp serving, according to the
>> jar I have, is 25g. Along with the chili sauce, this might be more than
>> a lot of DMs can handle.

> That sounds like a mistake. 1 tsp of table sugar is 4g carbs. So 2 tsp
> of sugar would be 8g. Two *tablespoons* of sugar would have 24g carbs.
> As the hoisin sauce has more ingredients than sugar, I'd be really
> shocked if it had the same carb content. And, in fact, according to the
> USDA database, 1 tbs of hoisin sauce has 7g carbs. Still carby, but not
> as carby as your bottle would indicate.

Checked the bottle again and that's what it said. It's imported.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ooh! Did you know that the hoisin sauce is made with molasses? NOT LOW
CARB!

"percy" > wrote in message
> Did this for dinner tonight. Very nice. Hub wants a repeat.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Barbecued Hoisin Wings
>
> Recipe By : Ottawa Citizen 9/7/97
> Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Barbecue/Smoke Chicken

> 3 pounds chicken wings
> --Sauce--
> 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
> 1/4 cup chili sauce (Heinz type)
> 1 tablespoon soy sauce
> 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
> 2 teaspoons fresh ginger -- finely grated
> 1 teaspoon orange peel -- finely grated
> 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
> 2 cloves garlic -- minced
>
> Separate wings into 2 pieces or leave whole. Remove tips. Stir together
> sauce ingredients. Place plain wings on lightly greased grill over medium
> high heat. Barbecue about 7 minutes on each side until sking is crispy and
> wings are almost cooked through. During the last 5 minutes of grilling,
> brush with the sauce and turn wings frequently to prevent burning.
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> I increased the garlic (doubled it), added about 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
> flakes and 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper.
>
> Vicki

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

<Top Posting corrected>

A Allen wrote:
> Ooh! Did you know that the hoisin sauce is made with molasses? NOT

LOW
> CARB!

Since it is brushed on at the end, it doesn't have to be a lot of sauce.
I regularly use various sauces when I grill that rarely add more than
5gm of carbs per seving YMMV depending on how much you choose to use and
whether you let the sauce drip down onto the coals or somehow manage to
get all of it on the food.

- Alan
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 20:54:42 -0400, "A Allen" >
wrote:

>Ooh! Did you know that the hoisin sauce is made with molasses? NOT LOW
>CARB!

If that amount of carb bothers you, use low carb hoisin. I import mine
from the US - Steels brand.

OTOH, I frequently use just a teaspoon of molasses in recipes - the
dense smoky sweetness goes a long way without adding a lot of carbs.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.5% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

If you are looking for something less carby than Hoisin sauce for
Asian-flavored chicken wings try this recipe. We love them!

Five-Spice Chicken Wings

Recipe By : Janet Wilder
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :50 (about)
Categories : Poultry

1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons Chinese Five-spice powder
1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
3 Pounds chicken wings -- about 16

Preheat broiler and oil rack of a broiler pan

Cut off and discard tips from chicken wings with a kitchen shears or a
large, heavy knife, then halve the wings at joint. Pat dry and add to
spice mixture, tossing to coat.

Broil, turning once, until done.