Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes

Default Coffee can help ward off type 2 diabetes

All you Type 2's, drink more coffee and get cured or prevent diabetes!
JS

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070501/...coffee_good_dc

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Drinking coffee can help ward off type 2
diabetes and may even help prevent certain cancers, according to
panelists discussing the benefits -- and risks -- of the beverage at a
scientific meeting.

"We're coming from a situation where coffee had a very negative health
image," Dr. Rob van Dam of the Harvard School of Public Health, who has
conducted studies on coffee consumption and diabetes, told Reuters
Health. Nevertheless, he added, "it's not like we're promoting coffee as
the new health food and asking people who don't like coffee to drink
coffee for their health."

Van Dam participated in a "controversy session" on coffee at the
Experimental Biology 2007 meeting underway in Washington, D.C.

Dr. Lenore Arab of the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA also took
part, presenting results of a review of nearly 400 studies investigating
coffee consumption and cancer risk.

There's evidence, Arab noted, that the beverage may protect against
certain types of colon cancer, as well as rectal and liver cancer,
possibly by reducing the amount of cholesterol, bile acid and natural
sterol secretion in the colon, speeding up the passage of stool through
the colon (and thus cutting exposure of the lining of the intestine to
potential carcinogens in food), and via other mechanisms as well.

However, Arab did find evidence that coffee may increase the risk of
leukemia and stomach cancer, with the case for leukemia being strongest.

The findings suggest that people who may be vulnerable to these risks --
for example pregnant women and children -- should limit coffee
consumption, van Dam noted in an interview.

He and his colleagues are now conducting a clinical trial to get a
clearer picture of the diabetes-preventing effects of coffee, which were
first reported in 2002. Since then, he noted, there have been more than
20 studies on the topic.

Van Dam and his team are also looking for which of the "hundreds to
thousands" of components of coffee might be responsible for these
effects. It's probably not caffeine, he noted, given that decaf and
caffeinated coffee have similar effects on reducing diabetes risk.

His top candidate, van Dam says, is chlorogenic acid, an antioxidant
that slows the absorption of glucose in the intestines.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 01 May 2007 17:11:10 -0700, Protagonist >
wrote:

>All you Type 2's, drink more coffee and get cured or prevent diabetes!
>JS

Yeah, but I drink mine with Splenda : )

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.5% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

>> All you Type 2's, drink more coffee and get cured or prevent diabetes!
>> JS

> Yeah, but I drink mine with Splenda : )

But only because you can't get cyclamates??

--
I'm glad my Mom named me Aaron,
That's what everybody calls me.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
> On Tue, 01 May 2007 17:11:10 -0700, Protagonist >
> wrote:
>
>> All you Type 2's, drink more coffee and get cured or prevent diabetes!
>> JS

> Yeah, but I drink mine with Splenda : )
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.5% BMI 25

Me too! (o:
JS
Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes

wrote:

>All you Type 2's, drink more coffee and get cured or prevent diabetes!
>JS

truly and utterly ignorant.

--
Mck©® Deltec CoZmore Pumper
Type 1 since 1975

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."
....Theodore Roosevelt

(o ô)
--ooO-(_)-Ooo--------------------

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."
....Bilbo Baggins

DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message from me
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate...
..

Posted to alt.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic,misc.health.diabetes

Mck©® > wrote:

>On Tue, 01 May 2007 17:11:10 -0700, Protagonist >
>wrote:
>
>>All you Type 2's, drink more coffee and get cured or prevent diabetes!
>>JS
>>

>truly and utterly ignorant.

Wait a minute!!

I used to drink about 6-8 cups of coffee a day. One day I decided that
I was sick of coffee and started drinking tea instead. About three
months later I got the bad news about diabetes. Using the post hoc
fallacy so beloved of alternative medicine supporters, it must have
been either the coffee preventing diabetes or the tea causing it.
--
Peter Bowditch aa #2243
Australian Skeptics http://www.skeptics.com.au
To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com

Get £40 for an interview about Type 2 Diabetes in the UK The Patient Connection Diabetic 0 27-09-2007 01:16 PM
Type 1 diabetes mellitus tyo Vegan 1 11-10-2006 12:13 AM
Type 2 Diabetes--The Cause?? Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD General Cooking 5 19-03-2006 07:43 PM
red meat and type 2 diabetes Laurie Vegan 0 17-01-2004 02:01 AM
type 2 diabetes ng Al Hardy Diabetic 25 03-01-2004 04:21 PM