Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Carb Quick Flour

I just ordered some Carb Quick flour. How diabetic friendly is this stuff?

Oh...I want some biscuits!!!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Hi Enrico,

That's a coincidence. Last night I was going to re-order some
Dreamfield's pasta (I love it) from Netrition and saw Carb Quik on sale.
I hadn't tried it before either. The price for 5 lbs was so much better
than for one lb that I jumped in with both feet and bought 5. Maybe it
was the visions of biscuits, pancakes and something to dredge fish and
chicken in. Of course, if one is going to have pancakes, ya gotta have
syrup, so I figured we'd try that sugar free Country Maple, too. Then
I noticed crisp breads, add 2 Bran-a-Crisp and 2 Swedish Crisp breads,
also on sale. That along with 8 boxes of Dreamfield's was $50.21
including S&H. Hopefully, we'll both have a good experience with the
Carb Quick. I'm getting so tired of the repetition of the same old
stuff over and over.
Cheers, Wizzzer

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Wizzzer" > wrote:

> Hi Enrico,
>
> That's a coincidence. Last night I was going to re-order some
> Dreamfield's pasta (I love it) from Netrition and saw Carb Quik on sale.
> I hadn't tried it before either. The price for 5 lbs was so much better
> than for one lb that I jumped in with both feet and bought 5. Maybe it
> was the visions of biscuits, pancakes and something to dredge fish and
> chicken in. Of course, if one is going to have pancakes, ya gotta have
> syrup, so I figured we'd try that sugar free Country Maple, too. Then
> I noticed crisp breads, add 2 Bran-a-Crisp and 2 Swedish Crisp breads,
> also on sale. That along with 8 boxes of Dreamfield's was $50.21
> including S&H. Hopefully, we'll both have a good experience with the
> Carb Quick. I'm getting so tired of the repetition of the same old
> stuff over and over.
> Cheers, Wizzzer

25 pounds of Carb Quik? Yikes!

I've found I love Nature's Hollow sugar-free maple syrup. It's
sweetened with Xylitol, so it doesn't give me the horrible aftertaste I
get from sucralose or aspartame or saccharine. It's clearly not real
maple syrup, but it's quite a decent substitute, and it doesn't give me
the GI effects I get from some polyols.

I don't make pancakes much, but I often make french toast with low-carb
bread (and eggs, cream, vanilla, butter, etc.). Yummy. When I make
french toast for guests, I use the same goop to soak the bread in for
both their bread and mine, and just bring my bottle of Nature's Hollow
to the table.

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Susan > wrote:

> I've used Carbquick to bread eggplant for parmagiana with great success,
> as a flour substitute in a super brownie recipe that only calls for 1/4
> cup flour with no taste degradation (I sweeten them with erythritol),
> and to make pancakes. So far, so good.

I've used it for the top of chicken pie (I basically spoon biscuit dough
on top of bubbling filling and then bake), and it tastes different from
my beloved Bisquick (on which I was raised), but it's a fine substitute.

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 18:27:03 -0500, Priscilla Ballou
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Wizzzer" > wrote:
>
>> Hi Enrico,
>>
>> That's a coincidence. Last night I was going to re-order some
>> Dreamfield's pasta (I love it) from Netrition and saw Carb Quik on sale.
>> I hadn't tried it before either. The price for 5 lbs was so much better
>> than for one lb that I jumped in with both feet and bought 5. Maybe it
>> was the visions of biscuits, pancakes and something to dredge fish and
>> chicken in. Of course, if one is going to have pancakes, ya gotta have
>> syrup, so I figured we'd try that sugar free Country Maple, too. Then
>> I noticed crisp breads, add 2 Bran-a-Crisp and 2 Swedish Crisp breads,
>> also on sale. That along with 8 boxes of Dreamfield's was $50.21
>> including S&H. Hopefully, we'll both have a good experience with the
>> Carb Quick. I'm getting so tired of the repetition of the same old
>> stuff over and over.
>> Cheers, Wizzzer

>25 pounds of Carb Quik? Yikes!
>
>I've found I love Nature's Hollow sugar-free maple syrup. It's
>sweetened with Xylitol, so it doesn't give me the horrible aftertaste I
>get from sucralose or aspartame or saccharine. It's clearly not real
>maple syrup, but it's quite a decent substitute, and it doesn't give me
>the GI effects I get from some polyols.
>
>I don't make pancakes much, but I often make french toast with low-carb
>bread (and eggs, cream, vanilla, butter, etc.). Yummy. When I make
>french toast for guests, I use the same goop to soak the bread in for
>both their bread and mine, and just bring my bottle of Nature's Hollow
>to the table.
>
>Priscilla

Has anyone tried to make flatbreads or tortillas with Carbquik? I'm
not much of a cook for US food and have never baked anything except
meats. I do have a flatbread/tortilla cooker that I use with whole
wheat flour.

I'm trying to get my DH to eat more sensibly, he is a T2 and is
getting a little out of control. Maybe if I started cooking more and
could make biscuits or pizza with lower carbs it would help.

When I saw Wizzers post, I went to Netrition.com and ordered 5 pounds.
Wish me luck.

Andrea2

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Andrea2 > wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 18:27:03 -0500, Priscilla Ballou
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > "Wizzzer" > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Enrico,
> >>
> >> That's a coincidence. Last night I was going to re-order some
> >> Dreamfield's pasta (I love it) from Netrition and saw Carb Quik on sale.
> >> I hadn't tried it before either. The price for 5 lbs was so much better
> >> than for one lb that I jumped in with both feet and bought 5. Maybe it
> >> was the visions of biscuits, pancakes and something to dredge fish and
> >> chicken in. Of course, if one is going to have pancakes, ya gotta have
> >> syrup, so I figured we'd try that sugar free Country Maple, too. Then
> >> I noticed crisp breads, add 2 Bran-a-Crisp and 2 Swedish Crisp breads,
> >> also on sale. That along with 8 boxes of Dreamfield's was $50.21
> >> including S&H. Hopefully, we'll both have a good experience with the
> >> Carb Quick. I'm getting so tired of the repetition of the same old
> >> stuff over and over.
> >> Cheers, Wizzzer

> >25 pounds of Carb Quik? Yikes!
> >
> >I've found I love Nature's Hollow sugar-free maple syrup. It's
> >sweetened with Xylitol, so it doesn't give me the horrible aftertaste I
> >get from sucralose or aspartame or saccharine. It's clearly not real
> >maple syrup, but it's quite a decent substitute, and it doesn't give me
> >the GI effects I get from some polyols.
> >
> >I don't make pancakes much, but I often make french toast with low-carb
> >bread (and eggs, cream, vanilla, butter, etc.). Yummy. When I make
> >french toast for guests, I use the same goop to soak the bread in for
> >both their bread and mine, and just bring my bottle of Nature's Hollow
> >to the table.
> >
> >Priscilla

> Has anyone tried to make flatbreads or tortillas with Carbquik? I'm
> not much of a cook for US food and have never baked anything except
> meats. I do have a flatbread/tortilla cooker that I use with whole
> wheat flour.
>
> I'm trying to get my DH to eat more sensibly, he is a T2 and is
> getting a little out of control. Maybe if I started cooking more and
> could make biscuits or pizza with lower carbs it would help.
>
> When I saw Wizzers post, I went to Netrition.com and ordered 5 pounds.
> Wish me luck.

Good luck! I've never made my own tortillas and tend to buy whole wheat
ones instead of low-carb. But for biscuits the Carb Quik works very
well. Also for cobblers (spiced sweetened fruit baked in a dish with a
biscuit top). I use erithrytol for sweetener in the fruit and the
biscuit topping, plus generally add some cinnamon and lemon peel to the
fruit, since it's usually blueberry cobbler I'm making. Rhubarb is
good, too.

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

With all of these great ideas, I can't wait for the Carb Quik to get
here. Hopefully, the ice will have melted before UPS has to try to
negotiate our road. We're in the Missouri Ozarks and there is still a
solid inch of ice on the ground. We have been iced in since a week ago
Friday. Our power has been going on and off, but we've been lucky, the
longest was only 2.5 hrs. Some poor devils have not had power since the
initial ice storm. They said 3000 were still without power in the Lake
of the Ozarks area where we are. I can't imagine 10 days without power.
Most of the homes here are 100% electric, NO HEAT. The temperature
dropped down to zero one day and didn't get above freezing until
yesterday. Two days ago a snow storm dropped another 6" which kept the
ice from melting. The plows came thru yesterday for the first time (no
salt or sand). All they did was expose the ice, which made it worse.
The sun came out and the temp stopped dead at 33 and dropped back to 20.
All it did was give everything a very slippery glaze. Supplies are
getting mighty meager (we're not checking labels anymore). We're about
5 miles off the main highway, 12 miles to a grocery store. I wouldn't
blame the UPS driver a bit if he refused to deliver my goodies. Heck, I
can't even get out of my driveway! It's about a 200 foot toboggan slide
now. I even went out and manually shoveled down to the ice so it would
melt. By nightfall, I could see a few bits of gravel peeking thru.
Tomorrow it's supposed to get up to 40, WHOOPIE, maybe I can make a
break for town finally! Boy, have I got cabin fever! I almost tried it
today, except I saw a neighbor take a run at the hill going out of this
valley and come sliding backwards down it into a row of mailboxes. I
changed my mind. Suz has had it, she's having shopping withdrawals.
Today she was looking at real estate online... she said "we're moving to
the city, where you can walk to a damn store if need be!" She'll get
over it, spring is beautiful here, and it comes early!

Cheers, Wizzzer T2 - Metformin 1000x2

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I checked out the netrition site after reading the posts in this thread.
I'm curious about the Reduce advertised on the home page. Anyone know
anything about it?
--
Donna in Idaho
Reply to daawra3553 at yahoo dot com

"Priscilla Ballou" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Andrea2 > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 18:27:03 -0500, Priscilla Ballou
>> > wrote:

>> >25 pounds of Carb Quik? Yikes!
>> >
>> >I've found I love Nature's Hollow sugar-free maple syrup. It's
>> >sweetened with Xylitol, so it doesn't give me the horrible aftertaste I
>> >get from sucralose or aspartame or saccharine. It's clearly not real
>> >maple syrup, but it's quite a decent substitute, and it doesn't give me
>> >the GI effects I get from some polyols.
>> >
>> >I don't make pancakes much, but I often make french toast with low-carb
>> >bread (and eggs, cream, vanilla, butter, etc.). Yummy. When I make
>> >french toast for guests, I use the same goop to soak the bread in for
>> >both their bread and mine, and just bring my bottle of Nature's Hollow
>> >to the table.
>> >
>> >Priscilla

>> Has anyone tried to make flatbreads or tortillas with Carbquik? I'm
>> not much of a cook for US food and have never baked anything except
>> meats. I do have a flatbread/tortilla cooker that I use with whole
>> wheat flour.
>>
>> I'm trying to get my DH to eat more sensibly, he is a T2 and is
>> getting a little out of control. Maybe if I started cooking more and
>> could make biscuits or pizza with lower carbs it would help.
>>
>> When I saw Wizzers post, I went to Netrition.com and ordered 5 pounds.
>> Wish me luck.

> Good luck! I've never made my own tortillas and tend to buy whole wheat
> ones instead of low-carb. But for biscuits the Carb Quik works very
> well. Also for cobblers (spiced sweetened fruit baked in a dish with a
> biscuit top). I use erithrytol for sweetener in the fruit and the
> biscuit topping, plus generally add some cinnamon and lemon peel to the
> fruit, since it's usually blueberry cobbler I'm making. Rhubarb is
> good, too.
>
> Priscilla

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Donna in Idaho" > wrote:

> I checked out the netrition site after reading the posts in this thread.
> I'm curious about the Reduce advertised on the home page. Anyone know
> anything about it?

Anything that sounds too good to be true generally is.

Also, "These amylase inhibitors (starch blockers) contain substances
that prevent dietary starches from being absorbed by the body." This
means they probably ferment in the colon producing gas and general
unpleasantness.

At the top it says, "Reduce is an amazing, non-stimulant, all-natural
nutritional supplement engineered to help you lose weight fast." OK,
it's engineered to do that, but they don't say it DOES do that.

Then it says, "The first prong utilizes Chitosan, a marine fiber that
binds to dietary fat that you consume and removes it from the body
rather than allowing it to be absorbed." In my experience it is not fat
that makes me fat. Fat makes me feel full sooner! I don't want anyone
taking my fat intake away because I eat less when I eat fat and fat
slows down spikes from carb consumption.

For me, reducing carb consumption was the key to weight loss. My
weight's been sneaking back up lately because.... I've been eating more
carbs. So, for me, the connection is clear. I'm not paying any $20 for
120 capsules that'll make me fart so much I can't be received into
decent society. I know that when I cut out the carbs, I start losing
again. The thing is, I noticed this after I started reducing carbs to
get and keep my blood glucose down -- which it did. The weight loss
just appeared on its own. Too bad I really like crusty French bread and
homemade Dundee Tea Bars. :-( My A1c reflects it, too: from 5.5 to 5.7
in six months.

Priscilla, soon to be back on the wagon
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Well, my CarbQuik arrived and I like it. It's also carb friendly as
advertised. I've measured one, three and five hours after eating and found
no spike with just two biscuits.

The drop biscuits are good. I tried making a small pizza but I need to work
out the kinks. I think I need to pre-cook the crust before adding the
toppings because the crust turned out a little too soft with the toppings
placed on the raw dough.

On my first order, I bought 3 one-pound boxes, which, with delivery, cost
over $10 a pound. I just ordered a 5 pound bag and reduced the price to less
than $5 a pound. The manufacturer says that Kroger stores will soon carry
CarbQuik.

"Priscilla Ballou" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Susan > wrote:
>
>> I've used Carbquick to bread eggplant for parmagiana with great success,
>> as a flour substitute in a super brownie recipe that only calls for 1/4
>> cup flour with no taste degradation (I sweeten them with erythritol),
>> and to make pancakes. So far, so good.

> I've used it for the top of chicken pie (I basically spoon biscuit dough
> on top of bubbling filling and then bake), and it tastes different from
> my beloved Bisquick (on which I was raised), but it's a fine substitute.
>
> Priscilla

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Uncle Enrico wrote:
> Well, my CarbQuik arrived and I like it. It's also carb friendly as
> advertised. I've measured one, three and five hours after eating and found
> no spike with just two biscuits.
>
> The drop biscuits are good. I tried making a small pizza but I need to work
> out the kinks. I think I need to pre-cook the crust before adding the
> toppings because the crust turned out a little too soft with the toppings
> placed on the raw dough.
>
> On my first order, I bought 3 one-pound boxes, which, with delivery, cost
> over $10 a pound. I just ordered a 5 pound bag and reduced the price to less
> than $5 a pound. The manufacturer says that Kroger stores will soon carry
> CarbQuik.
>

> "Priscilla Ballou" > wrote in message
>
>>In article >,
>>Susan > wrote:
>>

>>>I've used Carbquick to bread eggplant for parmagiana with great success,
>>>as a flour substitute in a super brownie recipe that only calls for 1/4
>>>cup flour with no taste degradation (I sweeten them with erythritol),
>>>and to make pancakes. So far, so good.

>>I've used it for the top of chicken pie (I basically spoon biscuit dough
>>on top of bubbling filling and then bake), and it tastes different from
>>my beloved Bisquick (on which I was raised), but it's a fine substitute.
>>
>>Priscilla

Mine arrived too the day before yesterday. I tried the drop biscuits,
but was disappointed. The leftover ones I crumbled into a meatloaf,
which worked well.

I have been a great fan of Bisquick for years, and in recent years, the
"light" version or whatever they call it. We like some of the
"Impossible" meat/veg pies. My question is...has anyone really done a
straight substitution with Carbquick for Bisquick in any of the recipes,
without tweaking. I should like to have a base to work on, and then
expand from there. I love to cook, and hubby says he never gets exactly
the same thing twice. I use the recipes as a guideline; however, this
new alien thing leaves me a bit puzzled!!

All help, with proven tips, would be gratefully appreciated, by me the
cook, and DH, the diabetic!

Gillian
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 10:02:06 -0800, "Uncle Enrico" >
wrote:

>Well, my CarbQuik arrived and I like it. It's also carb friendly as
>advertised. I've measured one, three and five hours after eating and found
>no spike with just two biscuits.
>
>The drop biscuits are good. I tried making a small pizza but I need to work
>out the kinks. I think I need to pre-cook the crust before adding the
>toppings because the crust turned out a little too soft with the toppings
>placed on the raw dough.
>
>On my first order, I bought 3 one-pound boxes, which, with delivery, cost
>over $10 a pound. I just ordered a 5 pound bag and reduced the price to less
>than $5 a pound. The manufacturer says that Kroger stores will soon carry
>CarbQuik.
>

>"Priscilla Ballou" > wrote in message

My Carbquik arrived yesterday. I tried making flatbread with it mixed
like the biscuit recipe. It came out dry and crumbly so I mixed in an
egg and some olive oil. That was a lot better, Terry liked it which is
the impotent thing. I am trying to get him to cut his carbs and this
could help a lot.

I'm going to try adding some garlic to the recipe and top with
parmesan cheese. Might be good.

Andrea2