Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Low carb and delicious quick lunch

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 13:22:54 -0500, "Evelyn Ruut"
> wrote:

>A really delicious low carb lunch
>
>Take;
>one can of season skinless and boneless sardines
>(you can drain off some of the oil if you like--- or not)
>
>some finely chopped sweet red onion sprinkled over the sardines
>
>pour few tablespoons of cider vinegar on top of that.
>
>If you need to, you can accompany this with a Wasa cracker, but it stands
>alone just fine.

Had that over half a toasted low carb bagel on Saturday - yum : )

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 13:22:54 -0500, "Evelyn Ruut"
> > wrote:
>
>>A really delicious low carb lunch
>>
>>Take;
>>one can of season skinless and boneless sardines
>>(you can drain off some of the oil if you like--- or not)
>>
>>some finely chopped sweet red onion sprinkled over the sardines
>>
>>pour few tablespoons of cider vinegar on top of that.
>>
>>If you need to, you can accompany this with a Wasa cracker, but it stands
>>alone just fine.

> Had that over half a toasted low carb bagel on Saturday - yum : )

Mashed sardines on toast (low carb bread) are a quick brekky too. I like the
Canadian sardines in soy oil.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl > wrote:

: "Nicky" > wrote in message
: ...
: > On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 13:22:54 -0500, "Evelyn Ruut"
: > > wrote:
: >
: >>A really delicious low carb lunch
: >>
: >>Take;
: >>one can of season skinless and boneless sardines
: >>(you can drain off some of the oil if you like--- or not)
: >>
: >>some finely chopped sweet red onion sprinkled over the sardines
: >>
: >>pour few tablespoons of cider vinegar on top of that.
: >>
: >>If you need to, you can accompany this with a Wasa cracker, but it stands
: >>alone just fine.
: >
: > Had that over half a toasted low carb bagel on Saturday - yum : )

: Mashed sardines on toast (low carb bread) are a quick brekky too. I like the
: Canadian sardines in soy oil.

My mother used t make a great spread with mashed sardines, lemon juice,
mayo, pepper and "onion juice" I just use ifinely grated onion. Used in
sandwiches or on crackers, etc, it is very nice indeed. You can also use
the canned mackeral if you want. I used to make this for my kids adn
husband's lunch bags.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 15:08:06 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> wrote:

>My mother used t make a great spread with mashed sardines, lemon juice,
>mayo, pepper and "onion juice" I just use ifinely grated onion. Used in
>sandwiches or on crackers, etc, it is very nice indeed. You can also use
>the canned mackeral if you want. I used to make this for my kids adn
>husband's lunch bags.

Onion juice? Literally squeezed onion?

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

: > wrote:

: >My mother used t make a great spread with mashed sardines, lemon juice,
: >mayo, pepper and "onion juice" I just use ifinely grated onion. Used in
: >sandwiches or on crackers, etc, it is very nice indeed. You can also use
: >the canned mackeral if you want. I used to make this for my kids adn
: >husband's lunch bags.

: Onion juice? Literally squeezed onion?

: Nicky.

Actually, so finely grated on the smallest holestthat it turns into a
liquidy slush. I also forgot to add the worchestershire sauce to give
some zip. ( Lea and Perrins, of course.)

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 23:31:06 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> wrote:

>: Onion juice? Literally squeezed onion?

>Actually, so finely grated on the smallest holestthat it turns into a
>liquidy slush. I also forgot to add the worchestershire sauce to give
>some zip. ( Lea and Perrins, of course.)

ah, OK - thanks, Wendy : ) I think that translates to "zapped in the
small blender" in my household!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 23:31:06 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> > wrote:
>
>>: Onion juice? Literally squeezed onion?

>>Actually, so finely grated on the smallest holestthat it turns into a
>>liquidy slush. I also forgot to add the worchestershire sauce to give
>>some zip. ( Lea and Perrins, of course.)

> ah, OK - thanks, Wendy : ) I think that translates to "zapped in the
> small blender" in my household!

Here you can buy onion juice in a bottle. Or at least you used to be able
to. I haven't looked for it. The bottle was brown and shaped like an
onion. I only know about it because when I was in 5th grade I had two
teachers who were roommates. My regular one and the music teacher. They
were constantly playing jokes on one another and they'd tell us what they
did to each other. One of them took onion juice and smeared it around the
rims of all the coffee cups. He said after it dried it just left a faint
onion aroma but you couldn't really trace where it was coming from. Then
when you put the hot coffee in the cup, it really released the aroma and as
the coffee drinker took a swig, look out! This was done in retaliation for
putting salt in the sugar bowl.

Luckily my one teacher got married at the end of the year. Otherwise they
might have done each other in!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Nicky > wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 23:31:06 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> > wrote:
>
> >: Onion juice? Literally squeezed onion?

> >Actually, so finely grated on the smallest holestthat it turns into a
> >liquidy slush. I also forgot to add the worchestershire sauce to give
> >some zip. ( Lea and Perrins, of course.)

> ah, OK - thanks, Wendy : ) I think that translates to "zapped in the
> small blender" in my household!

One can sometimes find small bottles of onion juice in the market, but
fresh is always better in my book.

Priscilla