Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Cast Iron or Stainless Steel burners for Propane Grill?

I have a Members Mark (Grand Hall) propane grill. The original cast
iron burners only lasted about 3 years before crumbling to the point
they burn unevenly.

I called the manufacturer for replacement burners & found they have
stainless steel burners at about 3 times the price of the cast iron
ones.

Will the stainless burners give the same cooking characteristics as
the cast iron (under creamic blocks)? Are there any negatives (except
the price) to stainless?

I figure that I need one set now & if the stainless lasts 6 years,
I'll break even on the price difference (assuming I replace cast iron
every 3 years).

Thanks!
Don S
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Don S > wrote:
> I have a Members Mark (Grand Hall) propane grill. The original cast
> iron burners only lasted about 3 years before crumbling to the point
> they burn unevenly.

I always wondered what the weak part of those was.

> Will the stainless burners give the same cooking characteristics as
> the cast iron (under creamic blocks)? Are there any negatives (except
> the price) to stainless?

I would expect the cooking characteristics to be the same.

> I figure that I need one set now & if the stainless lasts 6 years,
> I'll break even on the price difference (assuming I replace cast iron
> every 3 years).

I would expect good stainless to last longer than that. It should
not wear out . . . ever, though I suppose that is a little overly
ambitious to expect. Only one way to find out for sure . . .

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Stainless steel is a poor conductor of heat, and your grate will never
get hot enough to properly sear a steak, compared to cast iron. By far the
best solution for you is porceleinized cast iron grates. I just went through
the same on my Weber Genesis B. With the porcelein grates the heat output is
much better, steaks sear better, not as well as charcoal, but better.
If that's an option for your go for it.
Kent

"Don S" > wrote in message
>I have a Members Mark (Grand Hall) propane grill. The original cast
> iron burners only lasted about 3 years before crumbling to the point
> they burn unevenly.
>
> I called the manufacturer for replacement burners & found they have
> stainless steel burners at about 3 times the price of the cast iron
> ones.
>
> Will the stainless burners give the same cooking characteristics as
> the cast iron (under creamic blocks)? Are there any negatives (except
> the price) to stainless?
>
> I figure that I need one set now & if the stainless lasts 6 years,
> I'll break even on the price difference (assuming I replace cast iron
> every 3 years).
>
> Thanks!
> Don S

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Kent" > wrote in message
> Stainless steel is a poor conductor of heat, and your grate will never
> get hot enough to properly sear a steak, compared to cast iron. By far the
> best solution for you is porceleinized cast iron grates. I just went

through
> the same on my Weber Genesis B. With the porcelein grates the heat output

is
> much better, steaks sear better, not as well as charcoal, but better.
> If that's an option for your go for it.
> Kent
>
> "Don S" > wrote in message
> >I have a Members Mark (Grand Hall) propane grill. The original cast
> > iron burners only lasted about 3 years before crumbling to the point
> > they burn unevenly.
> >
> > I called the manufacturer for replacement burners & found they have
> > stainless steel burners at about 3 times the price of the cast iron
> > ones.
> >
> > Will the stainless burners give the same cooking characteristics as
> > the cast iron (under creamic blocks)? Are there any negatives (except
> > the price) to stainless?
> >
> > I figure that I need one set now & if the stainless lasts 6 years,
> > I'll break even on the price difference (assuming I replace cast iron
> > every 3 years).
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Don S

Keep up , Kent. He's talking about burners.
Jack

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Jack Sloan" > wrote in message

> "Kent" > wrote in message
>> Stainless steel is a poor conductor of heat, and your grate will never
>> get hot enough to properly sear a steak, compared to cast iron. By far
>> the
>> best solution for you is porceleinized cast iron grates. I just went

> through
>> the same on my Weber Genesis B. With the porcelein grates the heat output

> is
>> much better, steaks sear better, not as well as charcoal, but better.
>> If that's an option for your go for it.
>> Kent
>>
>> "Don S" > wrote in message
>> >I have a Members Mark (Grand Hall) propane grill. The original cast
>> > iron burners only lasted about 3 years before crumbling to the point
>> > they burn unevenly.
>> >
>> > I called the manufacturer for replacement burners & found they have
>> > stainless steel burners at about 3 times the price of the cast iron
>> > ones.
>> >
>> > Will the stainless burners give the same cooking characteristics as
>> > the cast iron (under creamic blocks)? Are there any negatives (except
>> > the price) to stainless?
>> >
>> > I figure that I need one set now & if the stainless lasts 6 years,
>> > I'll break even on the price difference (assuming I replace cast iron
>> > every 3 years).
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > Don S

> Keep up , Kent. He's talking about burners.
> Jack

Holy FECES,
Sorry for the intercourseup
I was thinking grates, not burners.
Kent

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 06:14:41 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:

>"Jack Sloan" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Kent" > wrote in message
>>> Stainless steel is a poor conductor of heat, and your grate will never
>>> get hot enough to properly sear a steak, compared to cast iron. By far
>>> the
>>> best solution for you is porceleinized cast iron grates. I just went

>> through
>>> the same on my Weber Genesis B. With the porcelein grates the heat output

>> is
>>> much better, steaks sear better, not as well as charcoal, but better.
>>> If that's an option for your go for it.
>>> Kent

>> Keep up , Kent. He's talking about burners.
>> Jack
>>

>Holy FECES,
>Sorry for the intercourseup
>I was thinking grates, not burners.
>Kent

No prob, Kent. I did get the SS burners & they are cast ss. As heavy
as the old CI ones.

I do have SS grates & don't get a good sear. I have been putting an
Iron grid on top of them for that. The mfr. offers a cast iron grid
to replace one of the ss grates (I have 3) & I may try it.

Thanks,

Don S.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Don, on my Weber I have had cast iron, then steel, and finally the
porceleinized cast iron. Cast iron is very hard to keep from rusting. The
porceleinized is hotter than the steel, and hopefully the finish will last.
If it's available I would spend the extra money, as I did. The latter grate,
as well, as other benefits, like grilling fish.
Kent\