Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Cast Iron vs Stainless Steel burners?

I posted this in food.equipment before I discovered this group.

Any comments?

I have a Members Mark (Grand Hall) propane grill. The original cast
iron burners only lasted about 3 years before crumbling to the point
they burn unevenly.

I called the manufacturer for replacement burners & found they have
stainless steel burners at about 3 times the price of the cast iron
ones.

Will the stainless burners give the same cooking characteristics as
the cast iron (under creamic blocks)? Are there any negatives (except
the price) to stainless?

I figure that I need one set now & if the stainless lasts 6 years,
I'll break even on the price difference (assuming I replace cast iron
every 3 years).

Thanks!
Don S
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Don S" > wrote in message
> I posted this in food.equipment before I discovered this group.
>
> Any comments?
>

> I have a Members Mark (Grand Hall) propane grill. The original cast
> iron burners only lasted about 3 years before crumbling to the point
> they burn unevenly.
>
> I called the manufacturer for replacement burners & found they have
> stainless steel burners at about 3 times the price of the cast iron
> ones.
>
> Will the stainless burners give the same cooking characteristics as
> the cast iron (under creamic blocks)? Are there any negatives (except
> the price) to stainless?
>
> I figure that I need one set now & if the stainless lasts 6 years,
> I'll break even on the price difference (assuming I replace cast iron
> every 3 years).
>
> Thanks!
> Don S

Stainless steel burners also break down... albeit much more slowly than cast
iron. I live in a very humid place and my ci burners only lasted 2 years
before they started flaking away. I bought a new all stainless grill .
Everything in the grill looks new except the burners . After 3 years they
started burning unevenly. I took the burners out and reamed them out and
they are working fine now.
I would never buy another grill wit ci anything.
Jack

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Hi Don,

I bought a Jennair Gass grill because of the burners. they are made of
Brass and will withstand a lot of heat and use. If you can get a
replacement for your grill made of Brass I would recomend it highly.

Cheers,
Chris

Don S wrote:
> I posted this in food.equipment before I discovered this group.
>
> Any comments?
>

> I have a Members Mark (Grand Hall) propane grill. The original cast
> iron burners only lasted about 3 years before crumbling to the point
> they burn unevenly.
>
> I called the manufacturer for replacement burners & found they have
> stainless steel burners at about 3 times the price of the cast iron
> ones.
>
> Will the stainless burners give the same cooking characteristics as
> the cast iron (under creamic blocks)? Are there any negatives (except
> the price) to stainless?
>
> I figure that I need one set now & if the stainless lasts 6 years,
> I'll break even on the price difference (assuming I replace cast iron
> every 3 years).
>
> Thanks!
> Don S

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>> I have a Members Mark (Grand Hall) propane grill. The original cast
>> iron burners only lasted about 3 years before crumbling to the point
>> they burn unevenly.
>> Will the stainless burners give the same cooking characteristics as
>> the cast iron (under creamic blocks)? Are there any negatives (except
>> the price) to stainless?
>>
>> I figure that I need one set now & if the stainless lasts 6 years,
>> I'll break even on the price difference (assuming I replace cast iron
>> every 3 years).

I'm surprised the cast iron did not last longer. but iron does rust.
Stainless should last much longer than 6 years if they are a heavy enough
material. I don't see any reason they should not urn the same way, they may
even be better.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>>>I have a Members Mark (Grand Hall) propane grill. The original cast
>>>iron burners only lasted about 3 years before crumbling to the point
>>>they burn unevenly.
>>>Will the stainless burners give the same cooking characteristics as
>>>the cast iron (under creamic blocks)? Are there any negatives (except
>>>the price) to stainless?
>>>
>>>I figure that I need one set now & if the stainless lasts 6 years,
>>>I'll break even on the price difference (assuming I replace cast iron
>>>every 3 years).

> I'm surprised the cast iron did not last longer. but iron does rust.
> Stainless should last much longer than 6 years if they are a heavy enough
> material. I don't see any reason they should not urn the same way, they may
> even be better.

Of those two choices, I'd personally go with SS if they're
heavy enough as Edwin said.

Check to see if they make porclean coated cast iron grates
though. I have them for the Weber Silver B and they work
very well and hold up too.

--
Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:

> Ummm... OP was discussing burners, not grates. Or am I
> misunderstanding gas-grill terminology here?

Dang, I've been miss-reading frequently as of late. I guess
I should go take a reading comprehension class. <blush>

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 16:59:45 GMT, Don S >
wrote:

<snip>

Thanks for all your input. They only offered Cast Iron or Stainless
Steel replacement burners. I was apprehensive about the SS because of
the cost and those I saw in Lowes.

I got the SS anyway and am very pleased. They are Cast Stainless
Steel - about as heavy and solid as the CI but Stainless. That
answered the cost issue.

Now we'll see how long they last. They cook every bit as good as the
CI did (when it was new).

Don S