Skenzer

Default Metal vs. plastic or rubber utensils

Is there a rule of thumb as to when it is safe to use metal vs.
plastic or rubber utensils on what types of pans and skillets? I've
been told never to use metal utensils on non-stick pans, is this
always the case? or does it depend on the quality of non stick pan you
use? And can metal utensils be used safely on metal pans and skillets?
Thanks
Woodard R. Springstube

Skenzer <> wrote in
:

> Is there a rule of thumb as to when it is safe to use metal
> vs. plastic or rubber utensils on what types of pans and
> skillets? I've been told never to use metal utensils on
> non-stick pans, is this always the case? or does it depend
> on the quality of non stick pan you use? And can metal
> utensils be used safely on metal pans and skillets? Thanks

I would *never* use metal utensils on any form of non-stick.
Also, you should not use them on seasoned cast iron (although my
mother did). I learned that last lesson the hard way! :-(

Edwin Pawlowski

> Skenzer <> wrote in
> :
>
> > Is there a rule of thumb as to when it is safe to use metal
> > vs. plastic or rubber utensils on what types of pans and
> > skillets? I've been told never to use metal utensils on
> > non-stick pans, is this always the case? or does it depend
> > on the quality of non stick pan you use? And can metal
> > utensils be used safely on metal pans and skillets? Thanks

Some of the non-stick coatings say you can use metal, but it will eventually
shorten the life of it. I just don't like plastic spatulas, so I use the
metal anyway.

I just them all the time on metal pans. I use a wood scraper to deglaze a
pan, again, personal preference. Plastic or rubber will work as well.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

val189

Skenzer <> wrote in message >. ..
> Is there a rule of thumb as to when it is safe to use metal vs.
> plastic or rubber utensils on what types of pans and skillets? I've
> been told never to use metal utensils on non-stick pans, is this
> always the case? or does it depend on the quality of non stick pan you
> use?

better safe than sorry - use the plastic. I doubt if there's a
nonstick out there that an take my husband's poking with a knife to
test potatoes.

Get one of those Rubbermaid rubber spatulas - advertised as good up to
500 degrees and I tend to believe this. Worth the price. (about 10-12
dollars, IIRC)

I keep my wood and metal tools in one caddy, the plastic types in
another.