Mark Thorson

Default Plastic vs Metal Molds

I recently bought my first mold -- not necessarily to use,
it's an antique heavy flat metal Reiche mold I bought for
less than $20. This thing is completely rigid. If the
chocolate doesn't come out willingly, is there some sort
of trick to getting it out? Or is that never a problem with
chocolate cast into rigid molds?

I'm beginning to think plastic molds might make sense
after all, because they're flexible like an ice cube tray.
Does anyone make flexible metal molds for
chocolate bars? I haven't found anyone yet.
Metal fatigue could be a problem. I'm
wondering if I need to age plastic molds or pretreat
them in some way to remove plasticizers, etc. before
using with chocolate (boiling in cocoa butter for a
few weeks comes to mind).

Janet Puistonen

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> I recently bought my first mold -- not necessarily to use,
> it's an antique heavy flat metal Reiche mold I bought for
> less than $20. This thing is completely rigid. If the
> chocolate doesn't come out willingly, is there some sort
> of trick to getting it out? Or is that never a problem with
> chocolate cast into rigid molds?
>
> I'm beginning to think plastic molds might make sense
> after all, because they're flexible like an ice cube tray.
> Does anyone make flexible metal molds for
> chocolate bars? I haven't found anyone yet.
> Metal fatigue could be a problem. I'm
> wondering if I need to age plastic molds or pretreat
> them in some way to remove plasticizers, etc. before
> using with chocolate (boiling in cocoa butter for a
> few weeks comes to mind).

Professional plastic molds are rigid, heavy duty things that don't flex at
all, and cost about ten times as much as the flexible plastic molds you'll
see in most places and on most web sites (typically at least $20-25 each).
The ones that flex are really for paper, soap, hobbyists, or maybe people
who use fake chocolate candy melts.

I don't think that many people actually try to use metal molds anymore.

Flexing is not required to remove the item from the mold. When the chocolate
is fully set, it releases from the mold. You simply turn the mold upside
down and rap it, and the chocolates fall out.