Betsy

Default rice cooker uses

Greetings,
I was given a new Oster rice cooker. The directions talk only about
rice. It looks to me like it'd be good for other things as well, as
long as you want the heat to stay on until you either turn it off, or
whatever it is cooking starts to get above boiling point (when the
water in the rice is all absorbed, I assume).

It comes with a steamer tray, so I know it can be used for that, just
as a boiling water source,

So does anyone use theirs for anything else? I can't imagine it'd be
a slow cooker, it gets too hot. The non-stick inner pan seems liek
it'd be good for almost anything else as long as it doesn't get
scrtached. But there's no control to force it to go to the "stay
warm" setting, either.

thanks in advance
betsy
Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply

Betsy wrote:

> So does anyone use theirs for anything else? I can't imagine it'd be
> a slow cooker, it gets too hot. The non-stick inner pan seems liek
> it'd be good for almost anything else as long as it doesn't get
> scrtached. But there's no control to force it to go to the "stay
> warm" setting, either.

Apart from any types of grains, whole or cracked, I also use my National
rice cooker for steaming potatoes (add 2-3 cups water) and other veggies
with rack that came with it, and you can reheat broth-based soups with
it if you keep your eye on it and don't let the liquid boil away. It
does oatmeal pretty well, too.

The controls will move it to "stay warm" when the thermostat detects a
temperature that means the boiling point of water has been passed. You
can always manually flip it to the "stay warm" setting when you see it
has boiled.

What I didn't manage to be able to use it for was grits or any other
type of granulated hot cereal that takes 4 cups of water per 1 cup of
dry cereal.

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
chillled

Betsy wrote:
> Greetings,
> I was given a new Oster rice cooker. The directions talk only about
> rice. It looks to me like it'd be good for other things as well, as
> long as you want the heat to stay on until you either turn it off, or
> whatever it is cooking starts to get above boiling point (when the
> water in the rice is all absorbed, I assume).
>
> It comes with a steamer tray, so I know it can be used for that, just
> as a boiling water source,
>
> So does anyone use theirs for anything else?

Keeping bean dip warm at parties, warm setting.

jmk

On 3/18/2004 5:50 PM, Betsy wrote:
> Greetings,
> I was given a new Oster rice cooker. The directions talk only about
> rice. It looks to me like it'd be good for other things as well, as
> long as you want the heat to stay on until you either turn it off, or
> whatever it is cooking starts to get above boiling point (when the
> water in the rice is all absorbed, I assume).
>
> It comes with a steamer tray, so I know it can be used for that, just
> as a boiling water source,
>
> So does anyone use theirs for anything else? I can't imagine it'd be
> a slow cooker, it gets too hot. The non-stick inner pan seems liek
> it'd be good for almost anything else as long as it doesn't get
> scrtached. But there's no control to force it to go to the "stay
> warm" setting, either.
>
> thanks in advance
> betsy

You might want to check out "The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook."

--
jmk in NC
Petey the Wonder Dog

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>It comes with a steamer tray, so I know it can be used for that,

Cut up some fresh celery, carrots, and broccoli. Toss 'em in whith 1/2
inch of water and see how very tasty they are together. Little or no
color loss, and delicious.