Jim Elbrecht

Default What's your dream 12" no-stick Saute pan?

If I had my druthers-- and lived alone- I'd get a big ol' cast iron
pan & be happy. But my lovely bride is likely to throw it in the
dishwasher when I'm not looking. She just can't get used to the idea
of seasoned iron. [I tried to convert her for years but we've been
married 20 yrs and neither one of us feels like fighting over cookware
at this point in our lives.]

She wants no-stick, no fuss-- including "Don't make me put this metal
fork down to scramble my eggs in this very hot pan."

So my new pan has to not only have a non-stick surface, it also has to
be resistant to metal tools & high heat. Is there such a beast?

My plan for the past couple decades has been to pick up a $20-30
department store pan every couple years. Is that still the best
plan, or is there a new super-surface that might fit the bill?

Jim
GCosta

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> So my new pan has to not only have a non-stick surface, it also has to
> be resistant to metal tools & high heat. Is there such a beast?

The coating you want is Excalibur. Very metal tool-resistant. I have a
9" Cuisinart skillet with this coating, just to keep from having to cuss
at eggs. It's disk-clad on the bottom, feels well-made, holds the heat,
and goes in the dishwasher.

Older Farberware had the Excalibur coating, too.

If you want to go the non-coated non-stick route, try the Cybernox
nonstick. The nonstick alloy really does work, but the trick is to get
the pan pretty damn hot before tossing anything in. If you misestimate
the surface temperature, your food gets stuck. This pan also laughs off
metal tools and goes in the dishwasher. If it weren't for that tricky
temperature thing...
Steve Calvin

Just Another Alias wrote:

> Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
>

>>If I had my druthers-- and lived alone- I'd get a big ol' cast iron
>>pan & be happy. But my lovely bride is likely to throw it in the
>>dishwasher when I'm not looking. She just can't get used to the idea
>>of seasoned iron. [I tried to convert her for years but we've been
>>married 20 yrs and neither one of us feels like fighting over cookware
>>at this point in our lives.]
>>
>>She wants no-stick, no fuss-- including "Don't make me put this metal
>>fork down to scramble my eggs in this very hot pan."

> Commercial teflon on heavy aluminum. Less than $50, and you can
> replace it every 5 years. All teflon wears out, even if it resides on
> a $200 All Clad or copper pan.

Personally, I'd go with the cast iron and just tell (ask?) her to not
touch it. The old "I'd rather do it myself" ploy. I don't see how
that wouldn't work. It sure does here! ;-)

--
Steve

Jack Denver

Yes, agreed - expensive no stick is a waste of money because the no stick
will wear out eventually. Also there's no need for a stainless lining
because the non-stick coating makes the pan non-reactive, so the best bet is
just a heavy aluminum pan coated with non-stick. Restaurant non-stick such
as the Lincoln Wear-ever fits the bill nicely.

"Just Another Alias" > wrote in message
> Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
>
> >If I had my druthers-- and lived alone- I'd get a big ol' cast iron
> >pan & be happy. But my lovely bride is likely to throw it in the
> >dishwasher when I'm not looking. She just can't get used to the idea
> >of seasoned iron. [I tried to convert her for years but we've been
> >married 20 yrs and neither one of us feels like fighting over cookware
> >at this point in our lives.]
> >
> >She wants no-stick, no fuss-- including "Don't make me put this metal
> >fork down to scramble my eggs in this very hot pan."

> Commercial teflon on heavy aluminum. Less than $50, and you can
> replace it every 5 years. All teflon wears out, even if it resides on
> a $200 All Clad or copper pan.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message

> So my new pan has to not only have a non-stick surface, it also has to
> be resistant to metal tools & high heat. Is there such a beast?
>
> My plan for the past couple decades has been to pick up a $20-30
> department store pan every couple years. Is that still the best
> plan, or is there a new super-surface that might fit the bill?
>
> Jim

Buy the cast iron for when you cook, hide it between meals.

I've been using Club Aluminum (available at Wal Mart) for many years. It is
one of the thickest pans around. They do guarantee the finish for life, but
I've never sent one back.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Zed

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 20:40:58 GMT, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

>If I had my druthers-- and lived alone- I'd get a big ol' cast iron
>pan & be happy. But my lovely bride is likely to throw it in the
>dishwasher when I'm not looking. She just can't get used to the idea
>of seasoned iron. [I tried to convert her for years but we've been
>married 20 yrs and neither one of us feels like fighting over cookware
>at this point in our lives.]
>
>She wants no-stick, no fuss-- including "Don't make me put this metal
>fork down to scramble my eggs in this very hot pan."
>
>So my new pan has to not only have a non-stick surface, it also has to
>be resistant to metal tools & high heat. Is there such a beast?
>
>My plan for the past couple decades has been to pick up a $20-30
>department store pan every couple years. Is that still the best
>plan, or is there a new super-surface that might fit the bill?
>
>Jim

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet:
I think the absolute best non-stick pans are the titanium coated pans
from Germany. They show them at the malls sometime.
They sell them under the names of: "titaniumgermany" or
titaniumexclusive"etc...
There is a website for info:
http://titaniumgermany.com/

I bought from this guy a pan 3 years ago. It's still perfect.
I stopped using my well seaseoned cast iron skillet.
I have done steaks, crépes, caramel, scambled eggs. many a times with
no fat at all. It will even "grill" a skinless chicken breast without
any fat what so ever. Nothing sticks to it ever. I'm still amazed.
I make this scrambled eggs for my wife, it takes 15 minutes at the
lowest setting on my cooktop. I constantly stir the eggs with a rubber
spatula and it comes out softer than you can imagine. Almost as if you
used a stick of butter. But there were no fats used.
This stuff is expensive, but well worth it.
I got 1 pan 3 years ago to try it out and see how it lasts.
I told myself then if it last 3-4 years and still works like new then
I 'll buy a few more pieces. I think I'm just about to purchase 2
smaller pans and a large roaster.

Not connected to the company, just a happy customer.
Zed

Btw, I'm in Canada, so I don't know if they sell this stuff down the
States.
And I wonder why they don't sell them at retail stores.

---
"Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups:
Alcohol, Caffeine, Sugar & Fat"