Mike Henley

Default how good or economical is vacuum storage

I'm curious about vacuum storage of food, maybe it'll enable me to eat
more vegetables and fruit as i'm not yet into that habit and i'm
really not a fan of refrigeration or freezing...

So how good is vacuum storage of food, and how economical... i
understand that i'll need to buy the plastic that wraps, well, is it
expensive... how long would food, such as vegetables & fruit mainly,
last without refrigeration or freezing... and if i freeze or
refrigerate them, how long would they last in each case...

is it also suitable for bread... can i vacuum pack bread... and how
long would it last then...

is there another method of storing food that'd last longer and keep it
fresh... what's the best method for food storage is freshness and
longevity are my preferences...

what's the best brand for vacuum storage... is it tilia...

thanks
Bob Wheeler

(1) A vacuum will squash your bread -- it's mostly air.

(2) I'd be very careful with using this for vegetables without
refrigeration, and I'm not sure that refrigeration will help. The
problem is anaerobic bacteria which teem in all garden produce. They do
no harm in general, but produce toxins when sealed up tightly. This is
why most purveyors of shrink wrapped vegetables poke some holes in the
shrink wrap.

--
Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
ECHIP, Inc. ---

Jack Denver

Vacuum sealing is a supplement, not a substitute for refrigeration. Unless
you live on the tundra, you're better off shopping frequently and buying
what you will consume within a few days, keeping the food refrigerated in
the meantime.

"Mike Henley" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm curious about vacuum storage of food, maybe it'll enable me to eat
> more vegetables and fruit as i'm not yet into that habit and i'm
> really not a fan of refrigeration or freezing...
>
> So how good is vacuum storage of food, and how economical... i
> understand that i'll need to buy the plastic that wraps, well, is it
> expensive... how long would food, such as vegetables & fruit mainly,
> last without refrigeration or freezing... and if i freeze or
> refrigerate them, how long would they last in each case...
>
> is it also suitable for bread... can i vacuum pack bread... and how
> long would it last then...
>
> is there another method of storing food that'd last longer and keep it
> fresh... what's the best method for food storage is freshness and
> longevity are my preferences...
>
> what's the best brand for vacuum storage... is it tilia...
>
> thanks

Mike Henley

"Jack Denver" > wrote in message >...
> Vacuum sealing is a supplement, not a substitute for refrigeration. Unless
> you live on the tundra, you're better off shopping frequently and buying
> what you will consume within a few days, keeping the food refrigerated in
> the meantime.

shopping frequently is something i really don't enjoy much, it's such
a chore... is there any way i can store vegetables for a long enough
time
Louis Cohen

I think that will limit your choice of veggies. I think you'll wind up with
mostly root vegetables - onions, spuds, turnips, parsnips, cabbage, etc.

Why not try on-line shopping and delivery?

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Mike Henley" > wrote in message
om...
> "Jack Denver" > wrote in message

> > Vacuum sealing is a supplement, not a substitute for refrigeration.

Unless
> > you live on the tundra, you're better off shopping frequently and buying
> > what you will consume within a few days, keeping the food refrigerated

in
> > the meantime.
> >

> shopping frequently is something i really don't enjoy much, it's such
> a chore... is there any way i can store vegetables for a long enough
> time

FoodSaver rigid vacuum containers. do the do any good or just hype? mike Preserving 0 06-09-2014 07:52 AM
Chocolate storage under vacuum Dee Randall Chocolate 6 02-01-2006 04:02 AM
Vacuum storage issues? Preserving 3 15-09-2005 03:58 PM
Whistle Vac 6 Piece Vacuum Sealing Food Storage System jetgraphics General Cooking 2 23-10-2004 10:23 PM
Vacuum sealed plastic bag of fresh cream peas in refrigerator---Vacuum disappears? John Decker Cooking Equipment 1 02-07-2004 04:44 AM