Posted to rec.food.chocolate
Dee Randall

Default Chocolate storage under vacuum

In October 2005 I wrote a request asking about the advantages/disadvantages
of sealing chocolate in a Foodsaver; i.e., either putting them in a mason
jar or alternatively in their bags.

Alex Rast answered me:

The material of choice of high-end manufacturers is foil, which forms

a good seal and doesn't out-gas. In fact, the very best

manufacturers often use foiled paper, because the paper makes for a useful

thermal and shock barrier. At home, you can achieve the same result with

good, heavy aluminium foil (shiny side out) as an external layer and

either parchment (good) or *unscented* toilet paper (best) as an internal
layer.

This is virtually bomb-proof, although you also do need to be sure to

store it in a good, temperature-and-humidity controlled environment for
best

results. In other words, the packaging can't save it if it was in a 90F,

steam-filled room for hours.

Here are my choices for storage:

Wrap in aluminum foil in a cool place

(55-72º ) with a LOT OF HUMIDITY, (I have no toilet paper that I would vouch
would have -0- scent and would not take the chance) vs. a mason jar that
would be vacuumed, vs. a mason jar not vacuumed, vs. plastic vacuumed
Foodsaver bags.

Some of the small blocks of chocolate that I have saved in mason jars and
have not vacuumed have ever-so-slight bloom and they have been in a dry room
between 68-76º.

All of the small blocks of chocolate that I have saved in their plastic
wrapping that have been in a dry room between 68-76º do not have bloom on
them; however, I don't want to store chocolate in a plastic wrap, period.

I wish to move this chocolate out of the warmer dry area into the cooler
area where heating/cooling is not consistent, but usually is between 55º &
62º, sometimes going to 72º. It's not like I have a fortune in chocolate,
but I do want to preserve it over the winter while I'm using it.

I don't see that vacuuming the chocolate is any problem, but I am
wondering - does it have to breathe or whatever else might be a problem. If
I vacuum it, what is the worse that can happen; any speculation? or solid
advice? re my choices.

Thanks so much.

Dee

Posted to rec.food.chocolate
Chembake

>Some of the small blocks of chocolate that I have saved in mason jars and
>have not vacuumed have ever-so-slight bloom and they have been in a dry room
>between 68-76º.

How did you handle the chocolates. when you place in the jars..? with
bare hands....
Where did you put the chocolates in the jar....in a humid room?

Surface moisture and condensation may allow the formation of sugar
bloom....

>All of the small blocks of chocolate that I have saved in their plastic
>wrapping that has been in a dry room between 68-76º do not have bloom on
>them; however, I don't want to store chocolate in a plastic wrap, period.

So what's wrong with plastics....? they are unbreakable....and
compact...unlike Mason jars...
Are you worried that the chocks will have a taste of plastics?
I stored some dark chocolate chips in a ziplock bag for several months
and I did not see any flavor changes in the chocs.......nor there was a
bloom....meaning the seal was really tight and I pressed it down before
zipping to remove most of the air spaces
I did not see any sugar bloom....this means that lots of moisture
laden air inside the bag can promote sugar bloom...which might one of
the culprit in your Mason jar storage<grin>

>I don't see that vacuuming the chocolate is any problem, but I am
>wondering - . If

I >vacuum it, what is the worse that can happen; any speculation? or
solid
>advice? re my choices.

Vacuuming will remove much of the air and residual moisture and will
help in preventing 'sugar bloom.'

>does it have to breathe or whatever else might be a problem

Chocolates will equilibrate with the available ambient....If there is
enough residual moisture in the given ambient then...it will likely
affect the chocolates gradually
Chocolates are highly absorptive to water due to the presence of
pregelatinized starches in cocoa solids that was formed during the
roasting of cacao beans.in chocolate manufacture.
Now chocolates is an aggregate of cocoa solids,cocoa butter and sugar
with minute amounts of processing agents like Lecithin which create a
water in oil emulsion with the some of the available fat..
..The sugar particles in the chocolate mass are mostly in amorphous form
which are irregular in shape and therefore more soluble in water
than the crystalline form.
Once small amount of moisture seeps in the chocs surface it will
interacts with the sugar and led to the formation of recrystallized
sugar which is called also a sugar bloom in confectionery terminology.

If you store bare chocolate pieces handle it with a gloved hands so
that faint smudge from moist fingers will not occur that can be one
of the initiator to sugar bloom
Also handle chocolates preferably in the dry room....

Posted to rec.food.chocolate
Dee Randall

"Chembake" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>Some of the small blocks of chocolate that I have saved in mason jars and
>have not vacuumed have ever-so-slight bloom and they have been in a dry
>room
>between 68-76º.

How did you handle the chocolates. when you place in the jars..? with
bare hands....
Where did you put the chocolates in the jar....in a humid room?

Surface moisture and condensation may allow the formation of sugar
bloom....

>All of the small blocks of chocolate that I have saved in their plastic
>wrapping that has been in a dry room between 68-76º do not have bloom on
>them; however, I don't want to store chocolate in a plastic wrap, period.

So what's wrong with plastics....? they are unbreakable....and
compact...unlike Mason jars...
Are you worried that the chocks will have a taste of plastics?
I stored some dark chocolate chips in a ziplock bag for several months
and I did not see any flavor changes in the chocs.......nor there was a
bloom....meaning the seal was really tight and I pressed it down before
zipping to remove most of the air spaces
I did not see any sugar bloom....this means that lots of moisture
laden air inside the bag can promote sugar bloom...which might one of
the culprit in your Mason jar storage<grin>

>I don't see that vacuuming the chocolate is any problem, but I am
>wondering - . If

I >vacuum it, what is the worse that can happen; any speculation? or
solid
>advice? re my choices.

Vacuuming will remove much of the air and residual moisture and will
help in preventing 'sugar bloom.'

>does it have to breathe or whatever else might be a problem

Chocolates will equilibrate with the available ambient....If there is
enough residual moisture in the given ambient then...it will likely
affect the chocolates gradually
Chocolates are highly absorptive to water due to the presence of
pregelatinized starches in cocoa solids that was formed during the
roasting of cacao beans.in chocolate manufacture.
Now chocolates is an aggregate of cocoa solids,cocoa butter and sugar
with minute amounts of processing agents like Lecithin which create a
water in oil emulsion with the some of the available fat..
..The sugar particles in the chocolate mass are mostly in amorphous form
which are irregular in shape and therefore more soluble in water
than the crystalline form.
Once small amount of moisture seeps in the chocs surface it will
interacts with the sugar and led to the formation of recrystallized
sugar which is called also a sugar bloom in confectionery terminology.

If you store bare chocolate pieces handle it with a gloved hands so
that faint smudge from moist fingers will not occur that can be one
of the initiator to sugar bloom
Also handle chocolates preferably in the dry room....

Thank for your advice. It is greatly appreciated.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.chocolate
david Hume

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:14:18 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>In October 2005 I wrote a request asking about the advantages/disadvantages
>of sealing chocolate in a Foodsaver; i.e., either putting them in a mason
>jar or alternatively in their bags.

My two cents:
I've been making chocolates for 12+ yrs. I buy mostly Callebaut and
Valrhona in all percentages. I make a lot of Fine chocolates and bake
a fair amount tortes and cakes
..
I get the Valrhona in the 3kilo packs and callebaut in 5 kilo. I get
about 30 kilos of Valrhona and 60-70 kilos of the Callebaut each time.

I'll break them up by there scoring marks and wrap them in plastic
food wrap I get at Costco. Then I wrap them with Heavy Foil. I then
put them in as Heavy a pastic ziplock bag as I can get. And proceed to
suck the air out of the bag with a straw keeping the bag closed up
too were the straw is inserted, my fingers up against the straw so as
I withdraw, sucking all the time, so i can close the bag without
hardly any lose of vacuum. I then store them in the Freezer. And there
they stay for many many months. I have found some that was buried
under other stuff, for probably a couple of years. Looking and tasting
like new.
So I'm good with that.
Merry Christmas
David
Posted to rec.food.chocolate
Chembake

> I'll break them up by there scoring marks and wrap them in plastic
food wrap I get at Costco. Then I wrap them with Heavy Foil. I then
put them in as Heavy a pastic ziplock bag as I can get. And proceed to
suck the air out of the bag with a straw keeping the bag closed up
too were the straw is inserted, my fingers up against the straw so as
I withdraw, sucking all the time, so i can close the bag without
hardly any lose of vacuum. I then store them in the Freezer. And there
they stay for many many months. I have found some that was buried
under other stuff, for probably a couple of years. Looking and tasting
like new.
So I'm good with that.
Merry Christmas
David

Yeah ,......that is the right thing to do.( although somewhat
elaborate) if you want to store chocs for a very long time....and
there is less likelihood of flavor and taste degradation.

Posted to rec.food.chocolate
Dee Randall

"david Hume" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:14:18 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> > wrote:
>

>>In October 2005 I wrote a request asking about the
>>advantages/disadvantages
>>of sealing chocolate in a Foodsaver; i.e., either putting them in a mason
>>jar or alternatively in their bags.
>>

> My two cents:
> I've been making chocolates for 12+ yrs. I buy mostly Callebaut and
> Valrhona in all percentages. I make a lot of Fine chocolates and bake
> a fair amount tortes and cakes
> .
> I get the Valrhona in the 3kilo packs and callebaut in 5 kilo. I get
> about 30 kilos of Valrhona and 60-70 kilos of the Callebaut each time.
>
> I'll break them up by there scoring marks and wrap them in plastic
> food wrap I get at Costco. Then I wrap them with Heavy Foil. I then
> put them in as Heavy a pastic ziplock bag as I can get. And proceed to
> suck the air out of the bag with a straw keeping the bag closed up
> too were the straw is inserted, my fingers up against the straw so as
> I withdraw, sucking all the time, so i can close the bag without
> hardly any lose of vacuum. I then store them in the Freezer. And there
> they stay for many many months. I have found some that was buried
> under other stuff, for probably a couple of years. Looking and tasting
> like new.
> So I'm good with that.
> Merry Christmas
> David

Thanks, David. I just got your posting. I hope you had a Merry Christmas.
Now it's time for me to wish you a Happy New Year.

Thanks for your answer. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. The
only difference is that I will wrap it in Glad Clingwrap, which I've read is
better for wrapping food. (I buy plastic food wrap at both Costco and BJ's.)
Then I will do as you say, wrap them in heavy foil. I will use my foodsaver
to suck out the air, and store in the freezer.
You don't know how much I appreciate your answer.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.chocolate
david Hume

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 00:53:00 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>"david Hume" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:14:18 -0500, "Dee Randall"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>In October 2005 I wrote a request asking about the
>>>advantages/disadvantages
>>>of sealing chocolate in a Foodsaver; i.e., either putting them in a mason
>>>jar or alternatively in their bags.
>>>

>> My two cents:
>> I've been making chocolates for 12+ yrs. I buy mostly Callebaut and
>> Valrhona in all percentages. I make a lot of Fine chocolates and bake
>> a fair amount tortes and cakes
>> .
>> I get the Valrhona in the 3kilo packs and callebaut in 5 kilo. I get
>> about 30 kilos of Valrhona and 60-70 kilos of the Callebaut each time.
>>
>> I'll break them up by there scoring marks and wrap them in plastic
>> food wrap I get at Costco. Then I wrap them with Heavy Foil. I then
>> put them in as Heavy a pastic ziplock bag as I can get. And proceed to
>> suck the air out of the bag with a straw keeping the bag closed up
>> too were the straw is inserted, my fingers up against the straw so as
>> I withdraw, sucking all the time, so i can close the bag without
>> hardly any lose of vacuum. I then store them in the Freezer. And there
>> they stay for many many months. I have found some that was buried
>> under other stuff, for probably a couple of years. Looking and tasting
>> like new.
>> So I'm good with that.
>> Merry Christmas
>> David

>Thanks, David. I just got your posting. I hope you had a Merry Christmas.
>Now it's time for me to wish you a Happy New Year.
>
>Thanks for your answer. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. The
>only difference is that I will wrap it in Glad Clingwrap, which I've read is
>better for wrapping food. (I buy plastic food wrap at both Costco and BJ's.)
>Then I will do as you say, wrap them in heavy foil. I will use my foodsaver
>to suck out the air, and store in the freezer.
>You don't know how much I appreciate your answer.
>Dee
>
> Your welcome.

Have a great New Year!
David

Chocolate storage tranch Chocolate 2 28-12-2007 06:05 PM
Chocolate & storage???? Giggles Chocolate 4 14-06-2006 10:34 PM
Vacuum storage issues? Preserving 3 15-09-2005 03:58 PM
Whistle Vac 6 Piece Vacuum Sealing Food Storage System jetgraphics General Cooking 2 23-10-2004 10:23 PM
how good or economical is vacuum storage Mike Henley Cooking Equipment 5 25-02-2004 02:09 AM