Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Opinion- Maytag gas range

Does anyone know about the reliability of Maytag gas ranges? I like
the look of the Maytag MGS5775BDS, a slide-in stainless gas range.
Maytag used to have a reputation for high quality washers and dryers
but seems have fallen off in recent years. Does anyone had any
experience with Maytag ranges? Any advice is much appreciated.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Vox Humana

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Does anyone know about the reliability of Maytag gas ranges? I like
> the look of the Maytag MGS5775BDS, a slide-in stainless gas range.
> Maytag used to have a reputation for high quality washers and dryers
> but seems have fallen off in recent years. Does anyone had any
> experience with Maytag ranges? Any advice is much appreciated.

I have a JennAir gas range which is made by Maytag. Total junk.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Bob Giel

I've had one for about two or three years now, and it is a piece of garbage.
If I could replace it, I would have, long ago.
It has never worked correctly from the day it was installed, and Sears
(where I made the mistake of buying the junk) has been unable or unwilling
to fix it so far.
I've been without a working oven for about two months now, and they still
can't order the correct parts and don't call when they say they will.

It cost a small fortune, by my standards, but nothing compared to the cost
of the food I have had to throw out in all this time, not to mention the
ruined dinners, celebrations, and hopes of learning to bake better from
scratch.

I've spent more time on the phone with Sears than I used to spend with my
girlfriends! (We WILL forgo the obvious cheap shots here, right? Thank you.)

Seriously, the finish is poor and won't clean properly (avoid polished
chrome whatever you do. I thought I was getting stainless steel) The oven
does not work, the igniters go bad quickly, the thermostat (sensor) is a
joke, and the computer control gets too hot and seems to fail, even with the
very noisy fan that tries to keep the chips cool enough to work properly.
The plates under the burners are cheap, won't clean with anything short of a
jackhammer, and look like Hell the first time you spill anything.
The burners themselves seem okay, but that's not saying much in the overall
scheme of things. As this group knows, I literally had to finish some
holiday meals on a Coleman camp stove and my propane BBQ. I literally get
better temperature control from the BBQ outdoors in the wind, than with this
Maytag junk.

Maytag had cute commercials, fancy marketing, and pretty cosmetics, but as
far as I can tell, nothing in the engineering, manufacturing, or quality
control/assurance fields. I have never been so sorry about anything I've
purchased before or since. My personal opinion, is they make junk and you
would do well to go to almost anybody else. A campfire and reflector oven
would be a major improvement!

I doubt you could do much worse than either Maytag, or Sears. Kenmore, is
manufactured by Whirlpool, who now owns Maytag. Kenmore used to be pretty
good stuff, (certainly good value for the money), but like the company they
purchased, that is in the past tense. Now, in my opinion, they only want
your money and hope you will consider their products disposable unless you
are stupid enough (as I have been) to buy their MA, in which case they seem
to consider YOU disposable! They are very pleasant the whole time you deal
with their Customer NO-Service Departments, but the aggravation is simply
beyond description and you have to Pay them for the privilege! NO THANKS.
If I can help just one person avoid that HELL, this will be worth the effort
and some of the inconvenience and pain I've had to endure at their hands.

Next time, I'll really let you know how I feel! <Big Grin>

Bob
Los Angeles