Posted to rec.food.equipment
bd

Default coffee maker recomendations

i was hoping to get some help on buying a coffee maker. i'm new to coffee
but really like a decent cup of black coffee. being new to coffee, i
haven't been to starbucks, so not sure if i like the fru fru stuff, but
don't want to discard it either. i'd like something small as i have very
little counter space. any recommendations? thanks for reading.

brad

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Viviane

We have an automatic saeco machine which is great. Not sure what you mean
by something small - that's a relative thing.

If you like decent coffee I would have thought Starbucks is the last place
you would go. In the true American tradition the coffee is so tasteless
that they have to add flavourings. If you're going to drink caramel frappe
or whatever, why ruin it by putting coffee in it. Why do these drinks have
enough calories to keep a third world family going for a week?

"bd" > wrote in message ...
>i was hoping to get some help on buying a coffee maker. i'm new to coffee
>but really like a decent cup of black coffee. being new to coffee, i
>haven't been to starbucks, so not sure if i like the fru fru stuff, but
>don't want to discard it either. i'd like something small as i have very
>little counter space. any recommendations? thanks for reading.
>
> brad

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 07 Dec 2005 05:21:12a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Viviane?

> We have an automatic saeco machine which is great. Not sure what you
> mean by something small - that's a relative thing.
>
> If you like decent coffee I would have thought Starbucks is the last
> place you would go. In the true American tradition the coffee is so
> tasteless that they have to add flavourings. If you're going to drink
> caramel frappe or whatever, why ruin it by putting coffee in it. Why do
> these drinks have enough calories to keep a third world family going for
> a week?
>
> "bd" > wrote in message
>>i was hoping to get some help on buying a coffee maker. i'm new to
>>coffee but really like a decent cup of black coffee. being new to
>>coffee, i haven't been to starbucks, so not sure if i like the fru fru
>>stuff, but don't want to discard it either. i'd like something small as
>>i have very little counter space. any recommendations? thanks for
>>reading.
>>
>> brad

If you're going to a coffee shop for some plain coffee, try Dunkin' Donuts.
They reputedly have the "best" coffee. Don't get caught up in Starbucks.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Randall Nortman

On 2005-12-07, bd > wrote:
> i was hoping to get some help on buying a coffee maker. i'm new to coffee
> but really like a decent cup of black coffee. being new to coffee, i
> haven't been to starbucks, so not sure if i like the fru fru stuff, but
> don't want to discard it either. i'd like something small as i have very
> little counter space. any recommendations? thanks for reading.

In my opinion, if you want really great coffee at home, you need to
grind it freshly right before you brew it, so step one is to get a
grinder. Burr grinders are best but bigger and more expensive than
the $20 rotating blade grinders, which do a passable job. For the
coffee maker, I would prefer a French press to an automatic drip
machine in general, though this is a little more trouble. When using
a French press, you'll want to grind the coffee very coarsely to avoid
gritty coffee. Just boil the water in the microwave, put the grounds
in the press, add water, steep for X minutes (different people will
make different recomendations for X -- experiment), then push down the
plunger and pour into your mug. You can get them in various sizes,
starting with a convenient single-serving size, and they're pretty
cheap. You can get a blade grinder plus French press for less than a
good automatic drip machine.

For what it's worth, I have given up on freshly brewed coffee at home
in favor of two surprisingly good and more convenient alternatives:
high quality instant coffee (NOT Folgers), or cold-brewed coffee
concentrate (google "Toddy coffee"). I was served cold-brewed coffee
concentrate far more often than anything else when I visited South
America, and I've tried it at home with good results (still use
freshly ground beans). You don't need to shell out for the "Toddy
Coffee System" if you just get a little creative with setting up your
own filtering system. For instant, brands claiming to be "instant
espresso powder" are likely to be of higher quality, and I'm currently
using a brand called "Mount Hagen Organic Café" that I like, which you
might find in a natural foods grocery. Both will be quite a bit more
expensive than Folgers.

Each of these methods produce coffee different from freshly brewed
coffee, but each is good in its own way. Mostly, I choose them
because they are easy, while still being good. I still occassionally
go to a good coffee house for a cappuccino.

Randall
Posted to rec.food.equipment
Gordon Airporte

If you would like to confuse yourself then end up spending 3x what you
thought you wanted to, poke around he http://www.coffeegeek.com/

Posted to rec.food.equipment
pltrgyst

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 12:21:12 GMT, "Viviane"
> wrote:

>If you like decent coffee I would have thought Starbucks is the last place
>you would go. In the true American tradition the coffee is so tasteless
>that they have to add flavourings.

Kinda like Aussie beer, eh?

No one *has* to add flavorings. Many of us in the US drink our coffee
straight black.

Charbucks is not like traditional American diner water. If anything,
it has too much coarse, brute flavor from over-roasting, with a loss
of complexity. It is modeled generally in the Peet's tradition, which
is quite dark and flavorful.

Anyway, much as I despise Charbucks, if you get an espresso or a short
Americano made from one of their decent beans (the Vienna Blend or
their Mocha Java are among the best), it's not bad. Not as good as you
can produce at home, but not bad.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Edwin Pawlowski

"bd" > wrote in message ...
>i was hoping to get some help on buying a coffee maker. i'm new to coffee
>but really like a decent cup of black coffee. being new to coffee, i
>haven't been to starbucks, so not sure if i like the fru fru stuff, but
>don't want to discard it either. i'd like something small as i have very
>little counter space. any recommendations? thanks for reading.

Are you looking for a one/two cup maker or something for a big family?

My wife likes to use a French press. She steeps it for four minutes. She
also has a Starbucks machine, but does not think the coffee is hot enough.
Me? I drink tea. Much more pleasant and refreshing.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Dee Randall

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Wed 07 Dec 2005 05:21:12a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Viviane?
>
>> We have an automatic saeco machine which is great. Not sure what you
>> mean by something small - that's a relative thing.
>>
>> If you like decent coffee I would have thought Starbucks is the last
>> place you would go. In the true American tradition the coffee is so
>> tasteless that they have to add flavourings. If you're going to drink
>> caramel frappe or whatever, why ruin it by putting coffee in it. Why do
>> these drinks have enough calories to keep a third world family going for
>> a week?
>>
>> "bd" > wrote in message
>>>i was hoping to get some help on buying a coffee maker. i'm new to
>>>coffee but really like a decent cup of black coffee. being new to
>>>coffee, i haven't been to starbucks, so not sure if i like the fru fru
>>>stuff, but don't want to discard it either. i'd like something small as
>>>i have very little counter space. any recommendations? thanks for
>>>reading.
>>>
>>> brad

> If you're going to a coffee shop for some plain coffee, try Dunkin'
> Donuts.
> They reputedly have the "best" coffee. Don't get caught up in Starbucks.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

I agree, Wayne. It's just about the only reliable coffee away from home at
present. (Don't get caught up in the doughnuts!)
When we're at f-i-l's and run out of coffee, we buy a pound of beans
there -- always good. (Also their cups are fun, too.)
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Dee Randall

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
.. .

> "bd" > wrote in message
>>i was hoping to get some help on buying a coffee maker. i'm new to coffee
>>but really like a decent cup of black coffee. being new to coffee, i
>>haven't been to starbucks, so not sure if i like the fru fru stuff, but
>>don't want to discard it either. i'd like something small as i have very
>>little counter space. any recommendations? thanks for reading.

> Are you looking for a one/two cup maker or something for a big family?
>
> My wife likes to use a French press. She steeps it for four minutes. She
> also has a Starbucks machine, but does not think the coffee is hot enough.
> Me? I drink tea. Much more pleasant and refreshing.
> --
> Ed
> http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

A week ago tonight I got so sick and the next morning upchucked my coffee.
I've been on tea since. It wasn't hard because I was feeling so puny and
had lots of tea 'in the larder.' I've been taking Prilosec for GERD for
quite a long time, but with some digestive enzymes and tea, I've been off
the Prilosec 6 days; sure hope I stay off the coffee. I did it once for a
year. Coffee is really addictive to me. DH is helping -- we've put away
the coffee pot. Mind you, I did not say that we've thrown out the coffee
pot.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 07 Dec 2005 10:26:37p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Wed 07 Dec 2005 05:21:12a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> Viviane?
>>
>>> We have an automatic saeco machine which is great. Not sure what you
>>> mean by something small - that's a relative thing.
>>>
>>> If you like decent coffee I would have thought Starbucks is the last
>>> place you would go. In the true American tradition the coffee is so
>>> tasteless that they have to add flavourings. If you're going to drink
>>> caramel frappe or whatever, why ruin it by putting coffee in it. Why
>>> do these drinks have enough calories to keep a third world family
>>> going for a week?

>> If you're going to a coffee shop for some plain coffee, try Dunkin'
>> Donuts.
>> They reputedly have the "best" coffee. Don't get caught up in
>> Starbucks.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

> I agree, Wayne. It's just about the only reliable coffee away from home
> at present. (Don't get caught up in the doughnuts!)

Too late! I've already been caught up in the doughnuts! For quite a
while, on my way to work, I was stopping at Dunkin' Donuts and getting a
large iced coffee w/cream and 2 doughnuts (it's a deal). :-) I finally sat
myself down and gave myself a good "talking to". Now I usually take coffee
from home and only occasionally stop for the DD coffee sans doughnuts.

> When we're at f-i-l's and run out of coffee, we buy a pound of beans
> there -- always good. (Also their cups are fun, too.)

I've bought their beans, too. It's a really good basic coffee.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 07 Dec 2005 10:33:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> .. .
>>
>> "bd" > wrote in message
>>>i was hoping to get some help on buying a coffee maker. i'm new to
>>>coffee but really like a decent cup of black coffee. being new to
>>>coffee, i haven't been to starbucks, so not sure if i like the fru fru
>>>stuff, but don't want to discard it either. i'd like something small
>>>as i have very little counter space. any recommendations? thanks for
>>>reading.

>> Are you looking for a one/two cup maker or something for a big family?
>>
>> My wife likes to use a French press. She steeps it for four minutes.
>> She also has a Starbucks machine, but does not think the coffee is hot
>> enough. Me? I drink tea. Much more pleasant and refreshing.
>> --
>> Ed
>> http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

> A week ago tonight I got so sick and the next morning upchucked my
> coffee. I've been on tea since. It wasn't hard because I was feeling so
> puny and had lots of tea 'in the larder.' I've been taking Prilosec for
> GERD for quite a long time, but with some digestive enzymes and tea,
> I've been off the Prilosec 6 days; sure hope I stay off the coffee. I
> did it once for a year. Coffee is really addictive to me. DH is
> helping -- we've put away the coffee pot. Mind you, I did not say that
> we've thrown out the coffee pot.
> Dee Dee

Dee, I once went through a 10 years period when I couldn't drink coffee at
all in any form. I began buying tea from McNulty's in NYC Greenwich
Village. They have amazing teas that should keep your interests away from
the bean. My favorite was a decaf Earl Grey that I still order. I drink
it both hot and iced.

Browse their site and order a catalog. They don't do online sales, but
they are very reliable.

http://mcnultys.com/

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Viviane

It must be my palate - I loathe all American coffee, which seems to be
lacking something - coffee I've been told. As for American style donuts,
they are the second most disgusting thing I've eaten after KFC. Why do they
have to be so sweet and fatty?

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Wed 07 Dec 2005 10:26:37p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
> Randall?
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>> On Wed 07 Dec 2005 05:21:12a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>>> Viviane?

>>> If you're going to a coffee shop for some plain coffee, try Dunkin'
>>> Donuts.
>>> They reputedly have the "best" coffee. Don't get caught up in
>>> Starbucks.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

>> I agree, Wayne. It's just about the only reliable coffee away from home
>> at present. (Don't get caught up in the doughnuts!)

> Too late! I've already been caught up in the doughnuts! For quite a
> while, on my way to work, I was stopping at Dunkin' Donuts and getting a
> large iced coffee w/cream and 2 doughnuts (it's a deal). :-) I finally
> sat
> myself down and gave myself a good "talking to". Now I usually take
> coffee
> from home and only occasionally stop for the DD coffee sans doughnuts.
>
>> When we're at f-i-l's and run out of coffee, we buy a pound of beans
>> there -- always good. (Also their cups are fun, too.)

> I've bought their beans, too. It's a really good basic coffee.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>
> A chicken in every pot is a *LOT* of chicken!

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Viviane

Australian beer has no taste. I've always preferred European ones. Must
come from not being born Australian.

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 12:21:12 GMT, "Viviane"
> > wrote:
>
>>If you like decent coffee I would have thought Starbucks is the last place
>>you would go. In the true American tradition the coffee is so tasteless
>>that they have to add flavourings.

> Kinda like Aussie beer, eh?
>
> No one *has* to add flavorings. Many of us in the US drink our coffee
> straight black.
>
> Charbucks is not like traditional American diner water. If anything,
> it has too much coarse, brute flavor from over-roasting, with a loss
> of complexity. It is modeled generally in the Peet's tradition, which
> is quite dark and flavorful.
>
> Anyway, much as I despise Charbucks, if you get an espresso or a short
> Americano made from one of their decent beans (the Vienna Blend or
> their Mocha Java are among the best), it's not bad. Not as good as you
> can produce at home, but not bad.
>
> -- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 08 Dec 2005 02:20:32a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Viviane?

> It must be my palate - I loathe all American coffee, which seems to be
> lacking something - coffee I've been told. As for American style
> donuts, they are the second most disgusting thing I've eaten after KFC.
> Why do they have to be so sweet and fatty?

There are plenty of good coffees available in the US, but like anywhere else,
there are also coffees that are undrinkable. If you mean American brands of
commercial coffee, I would have to agree for the most part.

I suppose American donuts are so sweet an fatty because that's what the
majority of USians want. They sell by the millions. I usually select
varieties that are as sweet as some, but I'm sure the fat is in there. I've
never seen a donut anywhere that wasn't high in fat. After all, they are
deep fried.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Ward Abbott

On 8 Dec 2005 12:24:08 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>I've
>never seen a donut anywhere that wasn't high in fat. After all, they are
>deep fried.

Deep frying doesn't necessarily ADD fat to the product...but you can
be damned sure that there is REAL FAT BUTTER in any croissant made in
"those" countries on the other side of the pond. <vbg>

Posted to rec.food.equipment
michele

I agree with Randall that the French press is the way to go, but after
researching electric coffee makers myself (coffeegeek.com among other
places), I bought a Technivorm. I chose the KB-741 (no hot plate) and
have been very pleased. It is a beautifully simple machine. We use this
most days just because it's faster. The coffee is very consistent and
brewing is fast. We have our coffee ground fine (espresso grind), and
use the unbleached paper filters. A gold filter will work as well, if
your coffee is ground slightly coarser...

Here is a link to the site I purchased from (no affiliation of course):

http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.technivorm.shtml

Michele

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Matthew L. Martin

Viviane wrote:
> It must be my palate - I loathe all American coffee, which seems to be
> lacking something - coffee I've been told. As for American style donuts,
> they are the second most disgusting thing I've eaten after KFC. Why do they
> have to be so sweet and fatty?

When I was working for a multinational company we coffee drinkers always
knew when the German's were visiting. When they made coffee with the
prepacks, they always used two instead of one.

Matthew

--
What if you arrived at the fountain of youth, only to find dead toddlers
floating in the pond? -- John O on AFB
Posted to rec.food.equipment
Edwin Pawlowski

"Viviane" > wrote in message
> It must be my palate - I loathe all American coffee, which seems to be
> lacking something - coffee I've been told. As for American style donuts,
> they are the second most disgusting thing I've eaten after KFC. Why do
> they have to be so sweet and fatty?

Helps to keep the damned foreigners away. We keep the good stuff in the
back and sell the sweet stuff to unwanted tourists. Stay home.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Edwin Pawlowski

> wrote in message
> On 7 Dec 2005 13:56:28 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>If you're going to a coffee shop for some plain coffee, try Dunkin'
>>Donuts.
>>They reputedly have the "best" coffee.

> Tim Horton's, Eh.

Yes, but Tim is hardly around here (US) at all. I think they are in Maine
now though.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Dee Randall

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Thu 08 Dec 2005 02:20:32a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Viviane?
>
>> It must be my palate - I loathe all American coffee, which seems to be
>> lacking something - coffee I've been told. As for American style
>> donuts, they are the second most disgusting thing I've eaten after KFC.
>> Why do they have to be so sweet and fatty?

> There are plenty of good coffees available in the US, but like anywhere
> else,
> there are also coffees that are undrinkable. If you mean American brands
> of
> commercial coffee, I would have to agree for the most part.
>
> I suppose American donuts are so sweet an fatty because that's what the
> majority of USians want. They sell by the millions. I usually select
> varieties that are as sweet as some, but I'm sure the fat is in there.
> I've
> never seen a donut anywhere that wasn't high in fat. After all, they are
> deep fried.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

First of all, keep in mind that I don't know what I'm talking about, BUT:
Isn't this the theory about all deep-frying: if it is done at the proper
temperature, that the oil doesn't seep into the product being cooked. Sort
of like searing a roast to keep the product inside the seared skin.

However, the charm of the dougnut might just be the fact that it does
include a large portion of the fat that has creeped into the dough.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Dee Randall

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Wed 07 Dec 2005 10:33:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
> Randall?
>

>> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>>> Are you looking for a one/two cup maker or something for a big family?
>>>
>>> My wife likes to use a French press. She steeps it for four minutes.
>>> She also has a Starbucks machine, but does not think the coffee is hot
>>> enough. Me? I drink tea. Much more pleasant and refreshing.
>>> --
>>> Ed
>>> http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

>> A week ago tonight I got so sick and the next morning upchucked my
>> coffee. I've been on tea since. It wasn't hard because I was feeling so
>> puny and had lots of tea 'in the larder.' I've been taking Prilosec for
>> GERD for quite a long time, but with some digestive enzymes and tea,
>> I've been off the Prilosec 6 days; sure hope I stay off the coffee. I
>> did it once for a year. Coffee is really addictive to me. DH is
>> helping -- we've put away the coffee pot. Mind you, I did not say that
>> we've thrown out the coffee pot.
>> Dee Dee

> Dee, I once went through a 10 years period when I couldn't drink coffee at
> all in any form. I began buying tea from McNulty's in NYC Greenwich
> Village. They have amazing teas that should keep your interests away from
> the bean. My favorite was a decaf Earl Grey that I still order. I drink
> it both hot and iced.
>
> Browse their site and order a catalog. They don't do online sales, but
> they are very reliable.
>
> http://mcnultys.com/
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

I'll take your recommendation. Thank you. I will order their catalog. I'm
an adventureous tea drinker.
I'm still hanging in there without Prilosec - I feel what it must feel like
to be in AA. One day at a time.
I'm sorry that you had such a long time without coffee. It's one of those
joys in life that shouldn't be denied anyone. But most of all, I'm glad you
got better. It must've been hell at times.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Dee Randall

"michele" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I agree with Randall that the French press is the way to go, but after
> researching electric coffee makers myself (coffeegeek.com among other
> places), I bought a Technivorm. I chose the KB-741 (no hot plate) and
> have been very pleased. It is a beautifully simple machine. We use this
> most days just because it's faster. The coffee is very consistent and
> brewing is fast. We have our coffee ground fine (espresso grind), and
> use the unbleached paper filters. A gold filter will work as well, if
> your coffee is ground slightly coarser...
>
> Here is a link to the site I purchased from (no affiliation of course):
>

> http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.technivorm.shtml
>

> Michele

I'm drooling. That is one helluva site! I don't know how you found it. It
is a U.S. site? I didn't get that far go to check-out. I'm in limbo re
coffee for a while, but that doesn't stop my interest.
Thanks,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 08 Dec 2005 08:54:04p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Thu 08 Dec 2005 02:20:32a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> Viviane?
>>
>>> It must be my palate - I loathe all American coffee, which seems to be
>>> lacking something - coffee I've been told. As for American style
>>> donuts, they are the second most disgusting thing I've eaten after
>>> KFC. Why do they have to be so sweet and fatty?

>> There are plenty of good coffees available in the US, but like anywhere
>> else, there are also coffees that are undrinkable. If you mean
>> American brands of commercial coffee, I would have to agree for the
>> most part.
>>
>> I suppose American donuts are so sweet an fatty because that's what the
>> majority of USians want. They sell by the millions. I usually select
>> varieties that are as sweet as some, but I'm sure the fat is in there.
>> I've
>> never seen a donut anywhere that wasn't high in fat. After all, they
>> are deep fried.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

> First of all, keep in mind that I don't know what I'm talking about,
> BUT: Isn't this the theory about all deep-frying: if it is done at the
> proper temperature, that the oil doesn't seep into the product being
> cooked. Sort of like searing a roast to keep the product inside the
> seared skin.
>
> However, the charm of the dougnut might just be the fact that it does
> include a large portion of the fat that has creeped into the dough.

Personally, I think it's the nature of dough to absorb some fat when it is
fried, regardless of temperature. Also, batter coated foods absorb more
fat than does breading.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 08 Dec 2005 09:05:14p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Wed 07 Dec 2005 10:33:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
>> Randall?
>>

>>> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>>> .. .

>>> A week ago tonight I got so sick and the next morning upchucked my
>>> coffee. I've been on tea since. It wasn't hard because I was feeling
>>> so puny and had lots of tea 'in the larder.' I've been taking
>>> Prilosec for GERD for quite a long time, but with some digestive
>>> enzymes and tea, I've been off the Prilosec 6 days; sure hope I stay
>>> off the coffee. I did it once for a year. Coffee is really addictive
>>> to me. DH is helping -- we've put away the coffee pot. Mind you, I
>>> did not say that we've thrown out the coffee pot.
>>> Dee Dee

>> Dee, I once went through a 10 years period when I couldn't drink coffee
>> at all in any form. I began buying tea from McNulty's in NYC Greenwich
>> Village. They have amazing teas that should keep your interests away
>> from the bean. My favorite was a decaf Earl Grey that I still order.
>> I drink it both hot and iced.
>>
>> Browse their site and order a catalog. They don't do online sales, but
>> they are very reliable.
>>
>> http://mcnultys.com/
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

> I'll take your recommendation. Thank you. I will order their catalog.
> I'm an adventureous tea drinker.
> I'm still hanging in there without Prilosec - I feel what it must feel
> like to be in AA. One day at a time.
> I'm sorry that you had such a long time without coffee. It's one of
> those joys in life that shouldn't be denied anyone. But most of all,
> I'm glad you got better. It must've been hell at times.
> Dee Dee

Thanks, Dee. Actually my hiatus from coffee wasn't so bad, especially
after I found the teas at McNulty's. I brewed the Earl Grey decaf very
strong and it was terrific. I still drink volumes of iced tea year 'round,
but only drink my iced coffee w/cream in the morning. I don't drink hot
beverages anymore, except for the occasional hot chocolate.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Viviane

That one beats me - if people knew what was in it they wouldn't touch it.

> wrote in message
> On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 09:20:32 GMT, "Viviane"
> > wrote:
>
>>It must be my palate - I loathe all American coffee, which seems to be
>>lacking something - coffee I've been told. As for American style donuts,
>>they are the second most disgusting thing I've eaten after KFC. Why do
>>they
>>have to be so sweet and fatty?

> Because they are doughnuts.
>
> Why do Australians wrap rotten bits in a crappy dough, either dry or
> greasy, depending upon which Dibbler made it, and call it a pie.
>
> Bubba

Posted to rec.food.equipment
karlseidel

This is all good information being posted and it's good to see people
engaging about coffee, but, and this is a big one: what kind of coffee
you drink is going to make a huge difference.The retailers that you're
all referring to, except for Peets, are the butt of jokes as far as the
specialty trade is concerned. There are probably local coffee roasters
in every town each one of you lives within and if you want good coffee
that must include the fact that the coffee must be fresh and not yet
ground. Fresh means roasted within the last week or so and not yet
ground means not ground anywhere but in your home or office just before
brewing. These are just basic parameters to getting a good cup. There
are over 60 coffee-growing nations on this planet. To enjoy great
coffee you need to experiment - a lot! Go to different local roasters
and talk to the roasters themselves and ask questions related to your
taste preferences. Try to think of coffee as food. And think of
yourself as a gourmet trying to find the best-tasting food to consume.
Then start your search all over again.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Dee Randall

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Thu 08 Dec 2005 09:05:14p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
> Randall?
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>> On Wed 07 Dec 2005 10:33:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
>>> Randall?

>>> Dee, I once went through a 10 years period when I couldn't drink coffee
>>> at all in any form. I began buying tea from McNulty's in NYC Greenwich
>>> Village. They have amazing teas that should keep your interests away
>>> from the bean. My favorite was a decaf Earl Grey that I still order.
>>> I drink it both hot and iced.
>>>
>>> Browse their site and order a catalog. They don't do online sales, but
>>> they are very reliable.
>>>
>>> http://mcnultys.com/
>>>
>>> --
>>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

>> I'll take your recommendation. Thank you. I will order their catalog.
>> I'm an adventureous tea drinker.
>> I'm still hanging in there without Prilosec - I feel what it must feel
>> like to be in AA. One day at a time.
>> I'm sorry that you had such a long time without coffee. It's one of
>> those joys in life that shouldn't be denied anyone. But most of all,
>> I'm glad you got better. It must've been hell at times.
>> Dee Dee

> Thanks, Dee. Actually my hiatus from coffee wasn't so bad, especially
> after I found the teas at McNulty's. I brewed the Earl Grey decaf very
> strong and it was terrific. I still drink volumes of iced tea year
> 'round,
> but only drink my iced coffee w/cream in the morning. I don't drink hot
> beverages anymore, except for the occasional hot chocolate.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Today's the day I make some hot chocolate. There's snow on the ground and
it looks like a winter-wonderland. I've got good whole milk, cream, and
great chocolate. I'll search thru my recipes I've saved for the
best-tasting one.

There is one recipe for hot chocolate that I've seen and can't seem to
figure out what the recipe would be called. I've seen in somewhere, perhaps
travel channel, it is almost like a pudding of chocolate, it's so thick.
Does anyone have any suggestioons to figure out the name of it, how to look
it up?
Thanks,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Dee Randall

"karlseidel" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> This is all good information being posted and it's good to see people
> engaging about coffee, but, and this is a big one: what kind of coffee
> you drink is going to make a huge difference.The retailers that you're
> all referring to, except for Peets, are the butt of jokes as far as the
> specialty trade is concerned.

I am not a retailer and I have no jokes to make about Peets, but I still
remember the first time I tasted Peets at a restaurant in Contra Costa, CA
sometime after 1976. I don't know whether it was new to the area or just
new to me. Lots of people I knew were raving about it. I tried it several
times only because I was lunching with friends, but never liked it. But
what do I know - after roasting on my own coffee (about that time), I
realized that dark coffee was basically burnt coffee -- for me, anyway.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 10 Dec 2005 06:41:58a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
Randall?

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Thu 08 Dec 2005 09:05:14p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dee
>> Randall?

>>> I'll take your recommendation. Thank you. I will order their catalog.
>>> I'm an adventureous tea drinker.
>>> I'm still hanging in there without Prilosec - I feel what it must feel
>>> like to be in AA. One day at a time.
>>> I'm sorry that you had such a long time without coffee. It's one of
>>> those joys in life that shouldn't be denied anyone. But most of all,
>>> I'm glad you got better. It must've been hell at times.
>>> Dee Dee

>> Thanks, Dee. Actually my hiatus from coffee wasn't so bad, especially
>> after I found the teas at McNulty's. I brewed the Earl Grey decaf very
>> strong and it was terrific. I still drink volumes of iced tea year
>> 'round, but only drink my iced coffee w/cream in the morning. I don't
>> drink hot beverages anymore, except for the occasional hot chocolate.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright *¿*
>>

> Today's the day I make some hot chocolate. There's snow on the ground
> and it looks like a winter-wonderland. I've got good whole milk,
> cream, and great chocolate. I'll search thru my recipes I've saved for
> the best-tasting one.
>
> There is one recipe for hot chocolate that I've seen and can't seem to
> figure out what the recipe would be called. I've seen in somewhere,
> perhaps travel channel, it is almost like a pudding of chocolate, it's
> so thick. Does anyone have any suggestioons to figure out the name of
> it, how to look it up?
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

I use Ghirardeli Ground Chocolate, half and half, and a bit of sugar. It's
thick. I don't make it too often.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.equipment
me

In article >,
"Viviane" > wrote:

> As for American style donuts,
> they are the second most disgusting thing I've eaten after KFC. Why do they
> have to be so sweet and fatty?

Ah, so you've tried Krispy Kremes then? :-p

Much as I enjoy the _occasional_ real bakery donut, I can't handle
KKs. It's like they force extra sugar (or _some_ sweetener) into the
dough somehow. Much too sweet for my taste.

sd

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 10 Dec 2005 09:16:15a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it me?

> In article >,
> "Viviane" > wrote:
>
>> As for American style donuts,
>> they are the second most disgusting thing I've eaten after KFC. Why do
>> they have to be so sweet and fatty?

> Ah, so you've tried Krispy Kremes then? :-p
>
> Much as I enjoy the _occasional_ real bakery donut, I can't handle
> KKs. It's like they force extra sugar (or _some_ sweetener) into the
> dough somehow. Much too sweet for my taste.

Overall I prefer a good bakery doughtnut, but occasionally I can't resist
some Krispy Kremes fresh out of the fryer and the glaze still soft. Yes,
they are very sweet, but they literally melt in your mouth. As I said,
occasiionally. <g>

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Edwin Pawlowski

"me" > wrote in message

> Ah, so you've tried Krispy Kremes then? :-p
>
> Much as I enjoy the _occasional_ real bakery donut, I can't handle
> KKs. It's like they force extra sugar (or _some_ sweetener) into the
> dough somehow. Much too sweet for my taste.
>
> sd

KK opened in Connecticut a few years ago with much hoopla and mobs of
doughnut seekers lining the streets. They just closed up shop at three
locations the other day. Guess it was not as good as touted or New
Englander's have more discerning taste.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 10 Dec 2005 09:45:02a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Edwin
Pawlowski?

> "me" > wrote in message
>>
>> Ah, so you've tried Krispy Kremes then? :-p
>>
>> Much as I enjoy the _occasional_ real bakery donut, I can't handle
>> KKs. It's like they force extra sugar (or _some_ sweetener) into the
>> dough somehow. Much too sweet for my taste.
>>
>> sd

> KK opened in Connecticut a few years ago with much hoopla and mobs of
> doughnut seekers lining the streets. They just closed up shop at three
> locations the other day. Guess it was not as good as touted or New
> Englander's have more discerning taste.

Or New Englanders just don't like sweets, at least not that sweet. <g>

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Dee Randall

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> "me" > wrote in message
>>
>> Ah, so you've tried Krispy Kremes then? :-p
>>
>> Much as I enjoy the _occasional_ real bakery donut, I can't handle
>> KKs. It's like they force extra sugar (or _some_ sweetener) into the
>> dough somehow. Much too sweet for my taste.
>>
>> sd

> KK opened in Connecticut a few years ago with much hoopla and mobs of
> doughnut seekers lining the streets. They just closed up shop at three
> locations the other day. Guess it was not as good as touted or New
> Englander's have more discerning taste.

When you walk in the door from the parking lot to the Mohegan Sun casino
near Ledyard, Connecticut, the first thing you see (you can barely see the
slot machines yet) is Krispy Kremes. They have the big vats of oil and you
see how them being made on the conveyor belt. I don't know how many years
they have been there, but maybe only a couple. I rarely have KK's anywhere,
but it is a good meeting place. I'm sure everyone knows where the KK's are.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Dee Randall

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Sat 10 Dec 2005 09:45:02a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Edwin
> Pawlowski?
>
>> "me" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Ah, so you've tried Krispy Kremes then? :-p
>>>
>>> Much as I enjoy the _occasional_ real bakery donut, I can't handle
>>> KKs. It's like they force extra sugar (or _some_ sweetener) into the
>>> dough somehow. Much too sweet for my taste.
>>>
>>> sd

>> KK opened in Connecticut a few years ago with much hoopla and mobs of
>> doughnut seekers lining the streets. They just closed up shop at three
>> locations the other day. Guess it was not as good as touted or New
>> Englander's have more discerning taste.

> Or New Englanders just don't like sweets, at least not that sweet. <g>
>

> --
> Wayne Boatwright *¿*

DH's New England relatives really like Dunkin' Doughnuts. I believe it is
their doughnut of choice. Doughnuts IMO have gone the way of Wonderbread.
I like glazed, but I also like a choice of cake dougnuts -- (Shouting!) I
mean, like the olden days (hated phrase).
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Edwin Pawlowski

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> DH's New England relatives really like Dunkin' Doughnuts. I believe it is
> their doughnut of choice. Doughnuts IMO have gone the way of Wonderbread.
> I like glazed, but I also like a choice of cake dougnuts -- (Shouting!) I
> mean, like the olden days (hated phrase).
> Dee Dee

There is a DD on every corner it seems. Their headquarters is in MA. I
don't care for them at all. Sadly, they have replaced many of the good
independent bakeries that made a good variety of cakes, pies, etc. I've not
had a good jelly doughnut since the Doughnut Hutch closed about 18 years
ago.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 10 Dec 2005 01:21:31p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Edwin
Pawlowski?

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>> DH's New England relatives really like Dunkin' Doughnuts. I believe it
>> is their doughnut of choice. Doughnuts IMO have gone the way of
>> Wonderbread. I like glazed, but I also like a choice of cake dougnuts
>> -- (Shouting!) I mean, like the olden days (hated phrase).
>> Dee Dee

> There is a DD on every corner it seems. Their headquarters is in MA. I
> don't care for them at all. Sadly, they have replaced many of the good
> independent bakeries that made a good variety of cakes, pies, etc. I've
> not had a good jelly doughnut since the Doughnut Hutch closed about 18
> years ago.

The local Dunkin' Donuts have 2 types of jelly doughnuts. One is just
referred to as "jelly donut", the other is black raspberry jelly donut.
The latter is very good.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Vox Humana

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
t...

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> > DH's New England relatives really like Dunkin' Doughnuts. I believe it

is
> > their doughnut of choice. Doughnuts IMO have gone the way of

Wonderbread.
> > I like glazed, but I also like a choice of cake dougnuts -- (Shouting!)

> > mean, like the olden days (hated phrase).
> > Dee Dee

> There is a DD on every corner it seems. Their headquarters is in MA. I
> don't care for them at all. Sadly, they have replaced many of the good
> independent bakeries that made a good variety of cakes, pies, etc. I've

not
> had a good jelly doughnut since the Doughnut Hutch closed about 18 years
> ago.

I haven't followed this thread, so forgive me if someone already mentioned
it. I read today that the Carlyle Group is buying Duncan Donuts. Look for
lots of government contracts soon.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
pltrgyst

On 11 Dec 2005 00:48:01 +0100, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>The local Dunkin' Donuts have 2 types of jelly doughnuts. One is just
>referred to as "jelly donut", the other is black raspberry jelly donut.
>The latter is very good.

It's always nice to encounter another gentleman with impeccable taste.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Viviane

Yep. Once. Never again. I couldn't stand the feel of the sweet fat in my
mouth. Truly gross. I really worry that the palates of some people will
not be able to cope with the flavour of real foods.