Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Coffee/Espresso machine Recomendations?

Just about to complete a kitchen renovation and was interested in hear
various suggestions on a good quality coffee/espresso machine. My wife
likes her lattes and I like my coffee, so it needs to be able to make both
coffee & espresso and have a good quality steaming mechanism.

Only other requirement is that it doesn't use "coffee pods"

TIA,

Sandy K.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 2006-12-28, Sandy K. > wrote:
> Just about to complete a kitchen renovation and was interested in hear
> various suggestions on a good quality coffee/espresso machine. My wife
> likes her lattes and I like my coffee, so it needs to be able to make both
> coffee & espresso and have a good quality steaming mechanism.

If you want to make decent to good espresso, a combo machine is *not* an
option. I've never seen a *real* espresso machine that also makes coffee,
just a few "steam toys" that do both (poorly). If you're at all serious
about the espresso, buy a dedicated machine (and high quality grinder, of
course) for that (the pointer elsethread to alt.coffee for this is very
good advice). For your coffee fix, I'd recommend going to a French press
-- more flavor than drip, and easily stowed out of sight and not taking up
counter space.

> Only other requirement is that it doesn't use "coffee pods"

Indeed. *shudder*

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Joshua Baker-LePain" > wrote in message
> On 2006-12-28, Sandy K. > wrote:
> > Just about to complete a kitchen renovation and was interested in hear
> > various suggestions on a good quality coffee/espresso machine. My wife
> > likes her lattes and I like my coffee, so it needs to be able to make

both
> > coffee & espresso and have a good quality steaming mechanism.

> If you want to make decent to good espresso, a combo machine is *not* an
> option. I've never seen a *real* espresso machine that also makes coffee,
> just a few "steam toys" that do both (poorly). If you're at all serious
> about the espresso, buy a dedicated machine (and high quality grinder, of
> course) for that (the pointer elsethread to alt.coffee for this is very
> good advice). For your coffee fix, I'd recommend going to a French press
> -- more flavor than drip, and easily stowed out of sight and not taking up
> counter space.
>
> > Only other requirement is that it doesn't use "coffee pods"

> Indeed. *shudder*
>
> --
> Joshua Baker-LePain
> Department of Biomedical Engineering
> Duke University

Thank-you for your kind advice. I'm posting the question over on the coffee
board.

Sandy