Bruce

Default Molcajete Tejolote?

I'm looking for a reliable source to purchase a Molcajete Tejolote.
Any suggestions?

Bruce

Bubbalicious

Bruce > wrote:

>I'm looking for a reliable source to purchase a Molcajete Tejolote.
>Any suggestions?

Are you looking for a Thai granite mortar and pestle or a Mexican Mortar &
Pestle Try Sur la Table. Williams Sonoma, any housewares will sell a marble
mortar & pestle.

Boron Elgar

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 21:00:03 GMT, Bruce > wrote:

>I'm looking for a reliable source to purchase a Molcajete Tejolote.
>Any suggestions?
>
>Bruce

The best & most economical source I have found, assuming you do not
have an immediate need or nearby Mexican market, is eBay. They have
several up right now.. You can get the flatter ones or the more
upright/round ones.

Boron

Bruce

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 22:50:31 GMT, Bubbalicious >
wrote:

>Bruce > wrote:
>
>>I'm looking for a reliable source to purchase a Molcajete Tejolote.
>>Any suggestions?

>Are you looking for a Thai granite mortar and pestle or a Mexican Mortar &
>Pestle Try Sur la Table. Williams Sonoma, any housewares will sell a marble
>mortar & pestle.

I'm looking for the Mexican ones made out of lava rock. I've recently
learned that some lower quality ones are made our of concrete or other
items and the result is they tend to dust food with particles.

Bruce

Barb

Mexgrocer.com has one... they say it's carved from stone but not what
kind of stone.

http://www.mexgrocer.com/9117.html

I've ordered from them and so far no problems.

Bruce wrote:
> I'm looking for a reliable source to purchase a Molcajete Tejolote.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Bruce

Bubbalicious

Bruce > wrote:

>I'm looking for the Mexican ones made out of lava rock. I've recently
>learned that some lower quality ones are made our of concrete or other
>items and the result is they tend to dust food with particles.

try here

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/pDetail.asp?p=15

Lisa

"Barb" > wrote in message
> Mexgrocer.com has one... they say it's carved from stone but not what
> kind of stone.
>
> http://www.mexgrocer.com/9117.html
>
> I've ordered from them and so far no problems.
>

> Bruce wrote:
> > I'm looking for a reliable source to purchase a Molcajete Tejolote.
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Bruce

The one at
www.mexgrocer.com was recommended by Saveur magazin in their Dec
2003 issue.

B.Server

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 02:03:13 GMT, Bruce > wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 22:50:31 GMT, Bubbalicious >
>wrote:
>
>>Bruce > wrote:
>>
>>>I'm looking for a reliable source to purchase a Molcajete Tejolote.
>>>Any suggestions?

>>Are you looking for a Thai granite mortar and pestle or a Mexican Mortar &
>>Pestle Try Sur la Table. Williams Sonoma, any housewares will sell a marble
>>mortar & pestle.
>>

>I'm looking for the Mexican ones made out of lava rock. I've recently
>learned that some lower quality ones are made our of concrete or other
>items and the result is they tend to dust food with particles.
>
>Bruce

My experience has been that they all put some grit in the food until
they have been worked to a finer surface by repeated use. The only
ones that I have seen that didn't seem to shed were in Thailand and
seemed to be made from some very fine grained metamorphic rock.

cheers
cynthia mason

It takes time to get one from Mexico cured. They are handed down from
mother to daughter. I buy flower pots at a place in Comonfort,
Guajuato, Mexico and they are stacked to heaven -They must wholesale
them to vendors. They are made of lava rock. Give me a good grinder or
food mill anyday.

spence

Bruce > wrote in message >. ..
> I'm looking for a reliable source to purchase a Molcajete Tejolote.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Bruce

I have the larger Thai granite unit from wokshop.com.

It's heavy as a bear, but simply outstanding!

-spence

Ricardo Rodr?guez

Bruce > wrote in message >. ..
> I'm looking for a reliable source to purchase a Molcajete Tejolote.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Bruce

Where do you live and how big you need it?

"That´s what I forgot to tell you José, that Slowpoke Rodríguez carries
a handgun" --Looney Tunes
Ricardo Rodr?guez

Bruce > wrote in message >. ..

> I live in Northern Indiana. I found what I wanted yesterday at a local
> Mexican grocery store. It's a large size and only $10. I'm going to
> buy it today. I feel sort of stupid not thinking about going there in
> the first place. Of course thinking stupidly is not terribly unusual
> for me. Where can I buy a little extra common sense?
>
> Bruce

Glad you finally found one.
For that price you could have buy a good Molcajete AND Tejolote here,
but the shipping would probably doubled the price, these are heavy
items, you know.
Enjoy your molcajete.

Ricardo